BloodMoon's Content

There have been 88 items by BloodMoon (Search limited from 04-January 97)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#63817 At3k

Posted by BloodMoon on 18 September 2005 - 10:56 AM in Modifications

DO you think 7/16 ID would be too small or still usable for good distances on the at3k.

I think that that depends on the particular Foam Backer Rod that you're using to make darts (assuming that you're using micro stefans)...7/16" ID wouldn't fit my 1/2" FBR very well, and if it fits yours, I'm guessing it'll be a little on the tight side.

Where are you getting your PETG (I'm just curious, never used PETG myself)?

#63793 At3k

Posted by BloodMoon on 17 September 2005 - 07:26 PM in Modifications

If you have a dremel, then go with Bag's advice...that will make anything fit, and it won't cost you any more.

I also went around 5/16" under the line, and my 9/16" brass fit in just fine, but that will cost you more money (~$6 for two feet of brass at my local Ace Hardware), and you should be able to get PETG to work.

#63803 At3k

Posted by BloodMoon on 17 September 2005 - 11:43 PM in Modifications

Because I have a spare At3k turret lying around, I used a Dremel to sand down one barrel and put in a piece of 1/2" CPVC. While I was able to do it, I wouldn't recommend it because (1) If you're doing a barrel support mod like Cxwq's, your barrel support will have to be sanded down until it is very, very thin, and (2) Without a Dremel, you will have to suffer a lot of pain to get all six barrels in there. Trying to get anything thicker than 1/2" CPVC will be next to impossible, in my opinion.

Yes, the Dremel moto tools I see at Home Depot are usually selling for 60+ dollars.

Here's a picture of a file.

I wouldn't worry too much about getting the "barrel stuff and sandpaper" inside the gun, because the gun can get cleaned out...just make sure you avoid getting any in the air tank.

#67248 New Google Group:nerf Guns

Posted by BloodMoon on 06 November 2005 - 07:50 PM in General Nerf

Two things. First, having a Google group probably won't do anything dramatic. Second, more nerfers isn't a bad thing. Second, I'd have to agree with Doom in saying that 'the underground' is a moronic cliche. More nerfers is always a good thing.

#64542 Mech Six's In Stores!

Posted by BloodMoon on 28 September 2005 - 09:33 PM in General Nerf

Well, if it fires like a disc shooter does, I don't think there's a ton of range potential, but I could be very wrong, we'll just have to wait and find out. For the clip and lack of any real pumping/cocking, I'd gladly pick one up if the thing can get 30 feet...but I think that's a bit much to hope for.

#66430 Soldat!

Posted by BloodMoon on 23 October 2005 - 04:08 PM in Off Topic

I did actually play that, for all of about a week. It was fun because you could install in about 20 seconds and then have LAN games. I also made a few guns and a couple of animations for it, it's rediculously easy. But the game doesn't have tons of depth or anything, so unless you're just up for killing time with friends (and don't want to nerf), it's nothing Effeminate.

#69950 Mark Series Modded Nf

Posted by BloodMoon on 27 December 2005 - 12:11 PM in Modifications

I DO like all-black paintjobs, and I really like the kind of texture that you have on the gun. I often use Krylon Fusion black paint and I wind up with 'shiny' guns, not the dull-black I'm looking for. How'd you do it?

Having a stock on a Nitefinder is a personal choice, so I'll respect yours on that. Putting a scope on a NF as the last poster suggested would be kind of a waste, IMHO. You don't need a scope to shoot 50 feet.

Just another comment, I actually like the rail on top of the new NF's. I'm mildly pissed off that the spring is less strong, but other than that, I like the look of the gun better.

#68673 Crossbow

Posted by BloodMoon on 01 December 2005 - 08:54 PM in General Nerf

The 'someone' that you're refering to probably had a very minimal part in the increase in price, from what I see. It's simple supply/demand theory. Once the seller saw how fast they were going, she would have racheted up the price a notch anyway. The way I see it (though I may or may not be alone here), the person who told her was just being a good neighbor, not doing anything stupid.

#64810 Do You Search?

Posted by BloodMoon on 02 October 2005 - 09:16 AM in General Nerf

I usually search with Google. It works a lot better than the search function built in to the forums. I'm sure this has been said before, but just go to Google and type in
site:nerfhaven.com "your-search-here"
into the search bar.

#64360 New Clip

Posted by BloodMoon on 25 September 2005 - 10:25 PM in Homemades

As far a stripper clips, the idea works, though I'm not sure if we'll have any problems due to the fact that we're not using 'solid' ammuntion or shells...like, it might be a little hard to have the darts stay in the clip while you're carrying it around, and then getting them off the clip and in to the gun. This is assuming that you have to take the clip part out of the gun when you're loading the darts, which I believe is how a stripper clip works but I'm not sure if that's necessary.

As far as the M1 clip, I won't have a good idea about it for sure until I try to build one. I don't think it would be all that bad to make a clip that fits inside the mag (so to say). In my mind, I'm just tring to think about ompa's clip and then what parts of it would have to be in the stationary mag and what parts would be in the removable clip. In the M1 clip idea, would you have to have a section of the barrel attached to the removable clip, that the bolt would go in? Or would you not have to worry about that?

#64309 New Clip

Posted by BloodMoon on 25 September 2005 - 11:49 AM in Homemades

I think the whole idea of a non-detachable mag works because you can just shove more darts in as you have the time, rather than having to remove the clip to load any more darts in. The kind of stripper clip idea works as well because then you would also be able to load a full mag of rounds when you run out.

#67077 Size Of Pvc For Homemade Gun

Posted by BloodMoon on 03 November 2005 - 07:01 PM in Homemades

Here's a chart.

I measured some 1", and that chart seems about right, so I'd say it's pretty safe to assume that the chart is correct for the rest of the pipe sizes.

Unfortunately, it doesn't list ID's and OD's for thin wall PVC (for example, 230 PSI 3/4" PVC or 200 PSI 1" PVC), which you may want in your design.

#66771 Dart Tag Firestrike In Stores!

Posted by BloodMoon on 29 October 2005 - 08:14 PM in General Nerf

Would they allow you to buy one? Baghead said he saw them in his Wal Mart, but he couldn't buy them because they were 'recalled'. If they do let people buy them, that sounds like a pretty good deal.

#69053 Question About The Far

Posted by BloodMoon on 11 December 2005 - 07:33 PM in Homemades

I fully agree with NinjZ.
I'm thinking that it would be actually cheaper to buy a springer than to try and get all the parts for building a homemade one.

Also, I'm not sure the FAR is the best place to look for ideas on this. The FAR was designed with bulky foam ammunition in mind, so I don't know how much of Bolt's design is going to be relevant to what you're trying to do. The FAR is a good primer for a project like this, but I think that you're going to have to redesign the magazine system to work with the BB's, which will be no small feat.

#63591 Buzuca

Posted by BloodMoon on 13 September 2005 - 07:59 PM in Modifications

I have no idea why you would want to do this...NF lights are completely and utterly useless in a war.

If you take a look at the NF innards, you'll see that pulling the trigger lightly brings two metal pieces together, completing the circuit to lite the NF light. Now you have to figure out a way to install these metal pieces in your other gun (which I'm guessing is not easy, if it's even possible). Then you'll have to find a way to cut the battery case out of the NiteFinder grip...and then unscrew the laser light, snip the wires, and then rewire it up again correctly in the new gun.

If you have your heart set on one of these things, your best bet is to go to Wal Mart and buy a 'Daisy Electronic Point Sight' or the like. They are about $8 ea, and then you can either make your own dovetail mount or just take some e-tape and tape it to the top of your gun (or the side, if you prefer).

#66518 Barrel Selection

Posted by BloodMoon on 24 October 2005 - 06:03 PM in Modifications

Well, using 1/2" Sch. 40 PVC for 1/2" diameter micro stefans won't give you good results at all. The 1/2" PVC has a 5/8" inner diameter, which is only good for mega stefans. So if you're choosing between PVC and CPVC for micros, you really only have one choice, and that is CPVC.

If you can't get brass, that I can assume that you also can't get PETG. The other barrel materials to consider are Sch. 80 PVC (haven't used this, but some people claim it works) and Crayolas. Crayolas might be a good, slightly less constricted alternative to CVPC for your guns.

In general, if you have a spring gun (or any gun with a high air volume / slow air delivery), you will benefit from a constriction.

#66618 Barrel Selection

Posted by BloodMoon on 26 October 2005 - 07:42 PM in Modifications

Copper is usually a VERY loose fit for micros, so I wouldn't ever use it on a spring gun. I've seen copper used on air guns that have a very large air volume, but personally I find that brass works better for both spring and air guns.

#66182 Paper Darts?

Posted by BloodMoon on 20 October 2005 - 08:26 PM in General Nerf

I know I haven't been here all that long, but I have found that giving ebay links is just a really, really bad idea. Just for future reference.

I can't imagine that any darts made out of paper are as good as stefans. For starters, they have to have almost no wieight...which poses problems if you want to shoot over five feet. Next, how can they possibly make a good seal with the barrel? As they must be easily bent, I doubt that there's any good barrel for them.

#65478 Simple Lbb Mod

Posted by BloodMoon on 10 October 2005 - 06:46 PM in Modifications

I have a LBB that I have modified to fire micro stefans. I usually pump nine times, which is all I really can considering that I haven't removed the air restrictor. It has a 1/2" PVC coupler, and the best range I've gotten is about 125', given that my mod has the barrel angled slightly upward.

Could you pump the gun less because it is only firing stefans instead of bulky foam missiles? Yes, you can. But in a war, unless you're really desperate, you're going to want to pump it that many times because that way you'll get greater range.

#69951 Chewbacca's Mauser

Posted by BloodMoon on 27 December 2005 - 12:14 PM in Modifications

I think that it's a nice mod because you really accomplished your goal...making a gun with pistol-like performance have a pistol-like size. I don't think it would have reminded me of a Mauser without you saying so, though, so I think you need to take some more steps if that's what you're after.

#67615 The Soloution To Glue Dillema

Posted by BloodMoon on 13 November 2005 - 10:07 PM in Modifications

That's good to know. Usually when I use hotglue, I'm setting up for using Epoxy or some stuff I use called E-6000.

#66354 New Silencer

Posted by BloodMoon on 22 October 2005 - 09:56 PM in Homemades

I'll probably get around to making a silencer on a day when I just feel like drilling holes in stuff.

Just a question on the function of your silencer...I'm assuming that the noise reduction is really only an issue for pump guns, seeing as in a spring gun the sound of the spring colliding with the end of the plunger tube is louder than the dart firing (though I may be wrong)?

#66429 New Silencer

Posted by BloodMoon on 23 October 2005 - 04:05 PM in Homemades

Well, I don't think that silencers do anything practical for you in a war, but they do silence the 'pop' of the air coming out of the gun a little bit.

#63146 7/16 Backer Rod?

Posted by BloodMoon on 05 September 2005 - 08:47 PM in Modifications

I don't think I've seen sizes of foam backer rod other than 3/8", 1/2", and 5/8". For what foam backer rod is meant to do, precise sizes aren't needed. If you would like to make your foam a little bit thinner (say, for airguns), you could stretch your foam like tucker suggested. Take a look at this thread.

#65979 At2k Stock

Posted by BloodMoon on 16 October 2005 - 10:49 PM in Modifications

I can't say that in my experience stocks make a gun much more accurate. But they feel really damn good. So in my opinion, what you should do is just make a stock that feels good to you, not to some other random person.

#66358 Springs

Posted by BloodMoon on 22 October 2005 - 10:18 PM in Modifications

I haven't actually opened up a Firefly, but the mech seems enough like the Maverick's that I'd be scared to add a more powerful spring without a really good idea of how to reinforce the thing ahead of time.

In what section of your hardware stores do you find the springs?

For all of the hardware stores I've been in, there's been a wall of springs somewhere. Just ask someone who works there...unlike some items (like brass), springs are really common, and the people working at your hardware store should know where they are. As far as the three stores nearest to me, however, I've been unable to find any good springs for use in cocking guns, so I'm going to try to get ahold of some AR15 springs, as per Boltsniper's Homemades.

#67496 1" 200 Psi Pvc

Posted by BloodMoon on 11 November 2005 - 10:43 PM in Homemades

I live near two Home Depots. For the things they carry, they usually have the cheapest prices, so I usually check there first. However, niether of the ones I live near carry thin-wall pipe (believe me, I spend hours in those places). My local Ace Hardware doesn't carry thin-wall, and they generally have more expensive prices (being a locally-owned store), though I love them because they carry the majority of the items I use.

As for the places that DO carry the pipe, Lowes is a haul for me, but they carry more types of PVC than anywhere else I've been to, thin-wall included. I get most of my thin-wall from a locally-owned store called Wentworth Lumber Yard. Just see what kind of places in your area.

#65792 New Stefans And Shotgun Idea

Posted by BloodMoon on 14 October 2005 - 06:46 PM in General Nerf

I never thought of using clay. Good thought!

#65816 New Stefans And Shotgun Idea

Posted by BloodMoon on 15 October 2005 - 10:32 AM in General Nerf

Is clay actually cheaper? Metal wieghts are sold, if I am remembering correctly, for something like 200 of them for under three dollars. I'm talking about 1/4" steel shot here.

#63645 What Size Pipe

Posted by BloodMoon on 14 September 2005 - 07:48 PM in Modifications

If you want to just stick the stock dart in the muzzle and fire, 9/16 OD K&S brass should be fine (supposing that ALL stock darts are EXACTLY the same). All stock micros I've seen work fine in it (I've tried ones from the AT3K, NiteFinder, and Maverick). I've heard, however, that PETG will do even better, if you can get ahold of some.

If you want to use a ramrod/breech/bolt/nested barrel, I'd take poo's suggestion on the the 1/2", Sch. 40 PVC.

EDIT: 1/2" Sch. 40 PVC has an inner diameter of 5/8"...I don't know what the outer diameter is, but it's not as important.

#66427 New Home Made Darts

Posted by BloodMoon on 23 October 2005 - 03:56 PM in Modifications

I know some people who have darts like that, but in the end, Stefans are cheaper like you mentioned. Much cheaper...they're about $.01 or $.02 per dart the way I make them, which is pretty standard.

#66426 Airtech 3k Tubing Blown!

Posted by BloodMoon on 23 October 2005 - 03:54 PM in Modifications

5/16" OD and 3/16" ID. Got it at Ace Hardware for something like $.19 a foot.

#66357 Airtech 3k Tubing Blown!

Posted by BloodMoon on 22 October 2005 - 10:12 PM in Modifications

I have used vinyl and hot glue and it worked fine, considering that the ID of the tubing was the same as the original tubing (so that it fit on fine and made an airtight seal without hotglue). I used hot glue to keep it in place. I have some pics in case they're helpful (yes, I know that the gun is ugly as sin, yes, I know that couplermodding a 3k is dumb).

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#66027 Gun Idea

Posted by BloodMoon on 17 October 2005 - 06:55 PM in Modifications

I don't think that it's a very logical idea...either the gun will be large and hard to handle, or the priming time would take a hit. Both ways, I'd rather have one good shot than two hard-to-load ones. If you want to have a shotgun like that, I suppose you could load two stefans with a nested barrel, but that's really not what you're suggesting.

In general, I don't think it's a good idea to start a new topic when you don't really care about the results (you're not even going to TRY to build one).

#65135 At3000 W/ At2000 On It

Posted by BloodMoon on 05 October 2005 - 08:36 PM in Homemades

I think it's a dumb idea, but hey, if you can post a picture of it, maybe I'll change my mind.

#66763 The Firefly, How Do We Modify This Monster...

Posted by BloodMoon on 29 October 2005 - 04:41 PM in Modifications

Because I'm feeling nice:
the Renegade FireFly Mod

#64308 Home Grown Crossbow

Posted by BloodMoon on 25 September 2005 - 11:42 AM in Homemades

I'm not too clear on what your idea is, but if you pull it off, it sounds like it will cost almost nothing to make.

#64925 Rf20 Problems

Posted by BloodMoon on 02 October 2005 - 10:11 PM in General Nerf

Well, if you've never taken it apart, now might be a good time...maybe the problem will be really obvious.

#66089 Air Tank Mod

Posted by BloodMoon on 18 October 2005 - 09:31 PM in Modifications

The Blast Bazooka is my current primary. Murakumo, I also use 1.5" stefans with 1/4" Steel Shot wieghts. I use a 12" 9/16 OD Brass barrel. The coupler on the gun is a 1/2" sch. 40 PVC coupler with a piece of 19/32" OD Brass in the middle, so that the 9/16" barrel slides right in. To load the gun, I just put the stefan in the rear of the barrel and then screw in the barrel.

When I range tested, I got between 100' and 123' consistantly, with no mod to the tank itself (only the trigger). I thought that was a little high. In reality, I found out that my while the coupler is centered side-to-side, it angles the barrel upward. With a level shot, the range will be less.

Unlike you, I can't say that I've found this gun to be very accurate. With my 12" barrel, which works better than the 8" one I had before, I only shoot at people 60' away, closer if they're moving fast.

Here's some pics of my LBB:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#66186 Tool Prerequisites

Posted by BloodMoon on 20 October 2005 - 08:42 PM in Modifications

As SirTofu said, a dremel is probably the single most valueble tool that a nerf modder can have, but you'll want to make sure you're in Nerf for the long haul before you go out and buy them, because they're not all that cheap ($50+). Not only are they great for sanding down barrels and cases, but they'll do better than anything else I've seen for shaping PVC and (more recently with Boltsniper's designs). And they're great high-speed drills.

I don't know if you count this as a tool, but I use a vice all the time, for letting stuff dry and holding things that I need to drill/sand.

Something that I can't get enough of that hasn't been mentioned is Electrical Tape (also called Vinyl Tape or E-Tape). My main use for it is that wrapping pipe/tubing with it increases the outer diameter. I've also seen it used for added holding strengh and better grips for your guns. If nothing else, it makes things black (or whatever other color of E-Tape you'd like to buy).