Photo

Barrel Selection

16 replies to this topic

#1 Nerferc

Nerferc

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 05:56 PM

I've asked this question in several different places and I have also read CXWQ's article, but I still do not completely understand the question. What Barrel is use for what? This may sound vague so let me elaborate. I use micro stefans(made with 1/2" FBR) and I have the choice of cpvc and pvc for my guns(I can't get brass). In my spring guns(like my NF)I understand I want some sort of constriction so I should use CPVC. What about in my AT2k it has a high volume of air so I don't want as much constriction correct? But the 1/2" FBR seems to be too loose of a fit in 1/2" pvc. I am also building a high volume homemade spring gun. It is spring and outputs a high volume of air. Do I want constriction or a long barrel?
Eagles may fly, but weasels don't get caught in jet engines.

Save gas, fart in a jar.

Formerly known as Nerfnoobc.

#2 BloodMoon

BloodMoon

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 06:03 PM

Well, using 1/2" Sch. 40 PVC for 1/2" diameter micro stefans won't give you good results at all. The 1/2" PVC has a 5/8" inner diameter, which is only good for mega stefans. So if you're choosing between PVC and CPVC for micros, you really only have one choice, and that is CPVC.

If you can't get brass, that I can assume that you also can't get PETG. The other barrel materials to consider are Sch. 80 PVC (haven't used this, but some people claim it works) and Crayolas. Crayolas might be a good, slightly less constricted alternative to CVPC for your guns.

In general, if you have a spring gun (or any gun with a high air volume / slow air delivery), you will benefit from a constriction.
We live in an age when pizza
gets to your house before the police.

#3 Nerferc

Nerferc

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 06:11 PM

I guess I could pick up some 5/8" sFBR. What I am really wondering about is in general what kind of barrel works for what kind of gun. I have never seen any kind of barrel constriction on an Xbow, but that is a spring powered gun, correct?

Low Volume Spring=?
High Volume Spring=?
High Volume Pump=?
Eagles may fly, but weasels don't get caught in jet engines.

Save gas, fart in a jar.

Formerly known as Nerfnoobc.

#4 NinjZ

NinjZ

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 06:25 PM

Pump guns ( airtanks ) = Loose fit. The air releases form the tank so quickly, that you dont need the pop from a tighter fit.

Small volume spring = Tighter fit. You want a tighter fit so pressure has time to build up and give the dart that pop for better results in a shorter barrel.

Large volume spring = Middle of the two. You dont want it too loose since its not a pump gun, but you dont want it too tight since the barrel is going to be longer. You can tell if you have the right barrel for this if you can easily push a dart into the barrel but it wont slide down on its own.

If you can barely get your stefans into CPVC, try stretching the foam as you straiten them for dart making. This is make them thinner and fit better. Since you can get PVC and CPVC, I'm assuming you're shopping at a homedepot/lowes. See if they have SCH80 PVC, this can also work with micros though its usually a loose fit for most.

Edited by NinjZ, 24 October 2005 - 06:31 PM.

#5 nerfisfun

nerfisfun

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 07:23 PM

Would have inch Copper work just as well as brass?
QUOTE ( N-Strike agent 007)
  You posted a link to the forum rule in my thread and I nearly threw my computer out the window. Thats like giving some one a demerit in school and not telling them why just handing them a list of rules because you are TO LAZEY to tell them why.

#6 duce

duce

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 07:41 PM

I personally find that copper (which has a loose fit) wields better results than brass on my airpowered blasters like. Brass is a much better choice for spring guns whowever. Those are my thoughs, just figure out what works best for you.
"Thats so good it makes me want to kick my mom in the face." -Halfling

#7 BloodMoon

BloodMoon

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 07:42 PM

Copper is usually a VERY loose fit for micros, so I wouldn't ever use it on a spring gun. I've seen copper used on air guns that have a very large air volume, but personally I find that brass works better for both spring and air guns.

Edited by BloodMoon, 27 October 2005 - 06:52 PM.

We live in an age when pizza
gets to your house before the police.

#8 nerfisfun

nerfisfun

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 08:13 PM

Brass is usually a VERY loose fit for micros, so I wouldn't ever use it on a spring gun.  I've seen copper used on air guns that have a very large air volume, but personally I find that brass works better for both spring and air guns.

So, if I use copper will it still fire just as far as a stock New school NF? It doesn't need to shoot further, just shoot stefans.

Edited by nerfisfun, 26 October 2005 - 08:14 PM.

You posted a link to the forum rule in my thread and I nearly threw my computer out the window. Thats like giving some one a demerit in school and not telling them why just handing them a list of rules because you are TO LAZEY to tell them why.

#9 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 08:19 PM

If you remove the air restrictors, I'd say ANY fitting barrel material will increase your range.

And brass isn't always a loose fit- there are over 20 sizes of brass, you can find one that is loose OR tight for your darts. Pick accordingly.

~ompa

#10 nerfisfun

nerfisfun

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 08:44 PM

If you remove the air restrictors, I'd say ANY fitting barrel material will increase your range.
~ompa

except for pvc 80 (or 40) right?

#11 NinjZ

NinjZ

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 09:05 PM

Nerfsin, while you are new, you dont know better. A lot of the info people give out is wrong, bad, or they dont give you the whole story. A lot of peple give info that is jsut their own opinion, and not fact. You seem to be getting confused.

In your case of a NF, you can just take the restrictors and barrel peg out and you will be able to fire stefan micros. Follow the mod in the modifications section up to the point of attaching a new barrel. Instead of putting a new barrel on, just put the gun back together with the stock barrel. This will allow you to use stefans. Now, if you do want to go the extra distance and attach a new barrel you need to make your stefans first. Then take a few out with you and test fit them in different barrel materials. For a NF, use the material that is a tight fit ( but not so tight you cant get the darts in ).

What Ompa was saying, at this stage, for you, any barrel material that will fit your darts is most likely to give you better range over specificly the stock barrel ( assuming the mod is done correctly ).

Brass will NOT fit in a 1/2" PVC coupler. We are talking about a NF and you are jsut starting to mod, so lets keep it simple and just forget about the couplers and breach loading for now.

When you guys help people with mods or things like this topic, you CAN NOT tell him things that work for you without any explanation of your unqiue situations. It only confuses people and they take it as thats how it should always be done.

#12 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 09:10 PM

Alright.

For a spring gun, as pointed out, you're going to want a nested barrel. Something like 2 different brass sizes, one step up from one another, put together should work well. The back end should simply keep the dart in place while sufficient air pressure builds up behind the dart when the plunger moves forwards.

That's the quick explanation. Experiment with your darts to see what works best; I'd use something around an inch of 17/32 brass and 4 inches of 9/16 brass. However, adjust the sizes according to your darts.

Follow the instructions under the mods section for the Nitefinder, except replace the PETG barrel with the nested brass barrel.

OR, just stick a straight 4-inch brass barrel on there, slightly tight for your darts.

~ompa

Edited by ompa, 26 October 2005 - 09:11 PM.

#13 nerfisfun

nerfisfun

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 09:12 PM

Oh Okay, it's just a problem that I can only find the FBR for megas, thus maiking the only material I can currently use PVC, what store do you guys buy your 1/2 FBR at? If I can get sime, I will use NijZ's advice and take my darts out and try them on the Copper, and other things. Yes I am easily influanced and I got confused, but I still thank you guys for trying to help. (and you did, no mistake)
With my 40 (I think) PVC And Mega stefans I tried the barrel mod, I tried glueing PVC to the Orginal barrel, I took out that stupid pole, so I'll try to find some 1/2 FBR

Edited by nerfisfun, 26 October 2005 - 09:13 PM.

#14 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 09:14 PM

Nonono, don't glue the pvc just to the end of the stock barrel. Open up the NF, as shown in the mod, and glue the pvc directly to the plunger tube, as shown with PETG in the mod. You'll need to sand/cut your case down a bit to have the pvc fit, but it will.

I go to ACE Hardware for my FBR.

~ompa

Edited by ompa, 26 October 2005 - 09:14 PM.

#15 nerfisfun

nerfisfun

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 09:20 PM

Nonono, don't glue the pvc just to the end of the stock barrel. Open up the NF, as shown in the mod, and glue the pvc directly to the plunger tube, as shown with PETG in the mod. You'll need to sand/cut your case down a bit to have the pvc fit, but it will.

I go to ACE Hardware for my FBR.

~ompa

The next-best thing Canada has is RONA, so will that work? I just tried glueing th PVC to the barrel because the other mod didn't work. I sanded it and it fits, but it shoots 0.653 feet.

#16 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  • State:Virginia

Posted 26 October 2005 - 09:23 PM

I feel your pain buddy - I can only buy 1/2" FBR and 3/8" FBR. I'd like to try mega Stefans sometime, maybe if I make the trip out to the ACE about 25 miles from here I can find some 5/8".

I buy my FBR at Lowe's and they used to carry 5/8" but then stopped, plus the price went up right after me and Sqiggs started buying it; go figure.

As everyone else has said, you'll want something tight on your particular foam. All FBR is not created equal.
SexD Warves

#17 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 09:33 PM

I have no idea what the heck kind of pipe that is. But if it fits, go with it. Just check your seals, and make sure the dart is quasi-tight in the barrel.

~ompa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users