monkey with a nf's Content

There have been 107 items by monkey with a nf (Search limited from 18-January 97)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#112024 Zxnam's Cpvc Night Finder System

Posted by monkey with a nf on 19 June 2007 - 04:13 PM in Modifications

So the barrel in the laser connects to the coupler? I've seen SSPB's in that position, but never another barrel.

#117551 Xxl Bazooka

Posted by monkey with a nf on 29 July 2007 - 06:49 PM in Modifications

I've never had one, but isn't it an air gun?

#116416 Working On An Ls At2k Integration

Posted by monkey with a nf on 19 July 2007 - 09:11 AM in Modifications

It looks like you have the AT2K tank resting on the bolt carrier, which would be a good way to keep it sealed, but I'm wondering how that will work with the trigger.

#105088 Wooden Buttstock(s)

Posted by monkey with a nf on 12 May 2007 - 10:27 AM in Homemades

Actually, I think it looks more like a PPSh-41 than a Thompson, just because of the drum mag...

Also, if the stock was screwed onto the LS body, would it really matter how strong it was? You'd just have to be careful with it during installation.

#97624 Wired Darts?

Posted by monkey with a nf on 03 January 2007 - 08:12 AM in General Nerf

What gun are you using? If the spring has been replaced (or the pump plugged) and the barrel hasn't been lengthened, the unused air might be causing the fishtailing.

#122791 Which Can Be Made Smaller?

Posted by monkey with a nf on 12 September 2007 - 07:12 AM in General Nerf

AT2K has a smaller tank than the AT3K, but I don't know about the pump (the 3K's tank can fit in 11/4" PVC, except for the rim).

#120025 Unkown Gun?

Posted by monkey with a nf on 16 August 2007 - 02:46 PM in General Nerf

Lack of a trigger? That has to seriously hurt accuracy.

#125185 Tubing / Pipe Cutters

Posted by monkey with a nf on 06 October 2007 - 10:49 AM in Modifications

I will warn you- pipe cutters will bend the tubing inward, making it useless for a breech covering. If I need the end to be flat, I use pipe cutters to lightly mark the tubing, use a Dremel cutting wheel to cut around the tube, and then use sandpaper to deburr and smooth the cut.

#116838 Trigger Designs

Posted by monkey with a nf on 22 July 2007 - 09:00 PM in Homemades

I used a dremel cutoff wheel, though it took a while and heated it up a lot. If you don't have that, I'd recommend a hacksaw, or maybe a file (to file through it).

#110759 Titan Ars

Posted by monkey with a nf on 11 June 2007 - 06:26 PM in Modifications

Couldn't you have just read the replies and not posted the explination?

Also, I don't understand what you mean. Do you mean using the tubing from the Hornet as a coupling for the titan/magstrike tubing, or as an insert?

#137798 Tire Valve Problem

Posted by monkey with a nf on 30 January 2008 - 08:27 AM in Homemades

And PVC cement shouldn't work, unless the tire valve is made out of PVC. All it really does is partially dissolve the PVC, then evaporate (as someone already said). It's not so much "cementing" as it is "welding".

#103190 The Viper

Posted by monkey with a nf on 30 April 2007 - 04:19 PM in Homemades

I'm fairly new here, but my impression is that only ideas without any kind of basic plan are disliked. For example, posting "it'd be cool if you had a semi-auto mav!!" would not be okay, but this is.

I don't know enough about air powered homemades to answer most of your questions, but you might want to do something like the semi-auto valve in the homemades section here. It'd be cheaper than spending a bunch of money on solenoids.

#111620 The Search Function

Posted by monkey with a nf on 16 June 2007 - 04:25 PM in General Nerf

This is very nice. Now, we have somewhere (besides the mods directory) to point noobs who ask "how do u mod a nf?????".

#114883 The Bbb

Posted by monkey with a nf on 07 July 2007 - 09:25 AM in Modifications

The stock allows him to brace it against his shoulder, increasing accuracy.

#120028 Tagball

Posted by monkey with a nf on 16 August 2007 - 02:52 PM in General Nerf

Lazertag? I don't think I've ever heard of a "Lazertag" nerf gun.

And yeah, a well modded NF (barrel replacement, seal improvement, stronger spring) with stefans can hit 70 ft, though I would call it more of a long-medium range. However, it wouldn't be able to do it with stock darts.

#111744 Supermaxx 3000(yellow) Modification

Posted by monkey with a nf on 17 June 2007 - 03:44 PM in Modifications

Nice and descriptive. My only question is, why didn't you use stefan micros? They would probably improve your range by 10-20 ft.

#111244 Strap Ammo Holster

Posted by monkey with a nf on 14 June 2007 - 04:12 PM in Modifications

Try 1/2" ID vinyl tubing. It's really cheap (less then even CPVC) and has just the right amount of friction with the darts.

#110662 Stock Ls Breech Petg Barrel Addition

Posted by monkey with a nf on 11 June 2007 - 06:38 AM in Modifications

Wait- why did you keep the dart tooth in? It will just make you lose air and push your dart into the bolt, where it can jam on the bolt/barrel connection.

#111575 Springs For A Snap

Posted by monkey with a nf on 16 June 2007 - 06:49 AM in Homemades

Thanks for the help. Now I just need some endcaps and washers.

#111513 Springs For A Snap

Posted by monkey with a nf on 15 June 2007 - 06:55 PM in Homemades

What size spring do you use for homemades? I am currently using McMaster part 9637K26(same as KBarker's NF rifle mod) for my SNAP 1.5. It has a wire thickness of .08, with the coils spaced about 1/4" apart, and fits perfectly over 1/2" CPVC. The spring is 9" long, and the SNAP has a draw of 5".

However, I'm a bit worried that it's too strong. In addition to requiring quite a bit of force to draw, it has so far shot off the reducing bushing (before I screwed it down), the coupler/bushing assembly (before gluing it), and then the coupler/bushing again, as well as breaking the back endcap on the plunger head (which had, in retrospect, been sanded down too much). Note that there is no forward endcap on the plunger, as I don't have the right washers for the seal. Am I doing something wrong? Please help, as I don't want to have this thing blow up in my face...

#111526 Springs For A Snap

Posted by monkey with a nf on 15 June 2007 - 07:49 PM in Homemades

Do you know what wire size/ coil distance they are? I might be able to compare.

#91499 Spring Question

Posted by monkey with a nf on 08 October 2006 - 06:57 AM in Modifications

I think people have been cutting off three or so loops of the BBB spring, but I'm not completely sure. To my knowledge, the only people who have had misfiring problems have has them because they've added too strong a spring. A trimmed BBB spring is not too powerful. And adding O-rings doesn't have anything to do with the cocking mechanism, it just gives a better seal, so you probably don't need to mess around with the plunger head.

#110306 Speedloader Mod

Posted by monkey with a nf on 09 June 2007 - 08:36 PM in Modifications

Probably, but it would defeat the point. It's pretty much a different-looking NF if you single it.

#107631 Sonic Air Bazooka Mod Writeup

Posted by monkey with a nf on 26 May 2007 - 08:03 AM in Modifications

Are you sure that the plug is airtight? I can't imagine how the pump would work if it was sealed as you say, because there would be no way for air to flow in front of the o-ring when the pump is pulled out.

#101723 Some Lbb Troubles

Posted by monkey with a nf on 02 April 2007 - 08:44 PM in Modifications

As he said, the plastic trigger is pretty weak. It broke off in mine, and I had to glue it on again. You should be fine with reinforcing it somehow.

Also, isn't the Big Blast identical in terms of internals? My impression was that the trigger mech is the same. Of course, the plastic could just be stronger in it.

#96459 Science Fair

Posted by monkey with a nf on 13 December 2006 - 08:46 PM in General Nerf

Also, longer barrells shoot farther because the air accelerates its way down the barrell, at least until it equals the outside pressure, at which point it starts slowing down. This means that a longer barrell greatly improves ranges.

#117899 Rf20 Pump Problem

Posted by monkey with a nf on 01 August 2007 - 02:59 PM in General Nerf

It looks like the check valve holes might have been plugged. Check the pump head- there should be three holes. Only the center one should be plugged.

#117868 Rf20 Pump Problem

Posted by monkey with a nf on 01 August 2007 - 10:19 AM in General Nerf

Go ahead and take the e-tape off, as it will only keep it from working (if the pump works the way I think it does, then the o-ring needs to be able to slide on the pump head). Check to make sure the o-ring isn't cracked or dried out, as that would create seal problems.

Also, by this, do you mean that it leaks, or you can't pressurize any air? It might help if you can give us a picture of the pump head (assuming it's removable; I've never opened a RF20).

#117993 Relocating Cocking Handle On Nite Finder

Posted by monkey with a nf on 02 August 2007 - 10:16 AM in Modifications

You actually can have a sliding cocking handle with a normal plunger- like the DTG.

#97512 Quick Ls Question (yes I've Searched)

Posted by monkey with a nf on 01 January 2007 - 01:30 PM in General Nerf

What kind of darts are you using to get 40-50' with a AR removal on the Longshot? Or are you giving angled ranges? I only got around 30' with that. And, yes, a spring will help alot.

#103469 Questions On Tank Pressure

Posted by monkey with a nf on 01 May 2007 - 07:54 PM in Homemades

I am attempting to build a magazine-fed pneumatic homemade, similar to(it actually started as) Flaming Hilt's version of the SOBR-P. As such, I am basing the tank off of an AT3K tank. I found that for every 1 cubic inch of airtank volume, something pressurized the same as an AT3K with four pumps has about 3.32 cubic inches of air. I have no idea how this translates to PSI, though I assume that it is below the limit of schedule 40 PVC.

When I run through the calculations, I find that the ideal length of 3/4" PVC for the optimum air volume for 12" 17/36" brass is about 5", but at the pressure I plan to use it should be about 1.5". Therefore, this is my planned tank volume (I'm using 3/4" because this is what I'm using as a valve). Does this all seem right? I'm trying to both have this get the approximate range and accuracy of a singled AT3K, and not have it blow up in my hands.

#110290 Pvc And Cpvc Help!

Posted by monkey with a nf on 09 June 2007 - 07:26 PM in General Nerf

PVC is measured by ID, but there isn't necessarily a correlation between the fractional and real measurements- 1/2" PVC is actually 5/8", while 1/2" CPVC is just over 1/2", etc... I have heard of people making PVC breeches with repair couplings, though I prefer to just make brass breeches.

EDIT: As for the last question, I think you're stuck unless you have a lathe- in my experience, PVC doesn't start to nest until 1" and 1u1/4".

#116366 Powerlcip, Magstrike, Wildfire, Rapid Fire 20?

Posted by monkey with a nf on 18 July 2007 - 06:29 PM in General Nerf

As far as I can tell, the Magstrike is better than the Powerclip and the RF20 is better than the Wildfire, plus they're easier to find.

Magstrike:

Pros

-Max range around 90-100 (Forsaken_Angel's mod)

-Separate clips- easier to load

Cons

-No RoF selection

-40-50 pumps for 20 darts

-No semi-auto (even with e-tape, clips slip when you're running)

RF20:

Pros

-RoF selection

-Can be used as a semi-auto

-20-25 pumps for 20 darts

Cons

-No clips (I don't remember any clipping mods)

-Max range closer to 60ft.

-Somewhat harder to find (but not much)

#118039 Please Help

Posted by monkey with a nf on 02 August 2007 - 03:35 PM in Homemades

You'll want to use a PVC size larger than 1/2" CPVC, as that is pretty small for a tank, and you'll have trouble finding a valve.

#117958 Please Help

Posted by monkey with a nf on 01 August 2007 - 10:27 PM in Homemades

I think that's different, as it requires multiple twists to open, whereas a ball valve just takes a quarter turn. The PVC ones are notorious for being very difficult to turn, and while the metal ones are better, they still are pretty slow.

EDIT: Clarification.

#99467 Petg Barrel Magstrike

Posted by monkey with a nf on 07 February 2007 - 09:32 PM in Modifications

I don't know about a PC (never had one), but there wasn't an issue. The original thread for the Magstrike 20 is here.

#118337 P90 Helix Ramp Mag

Posted by monkey with a nf on 05 August 2007 - 06:50 AM in Homemades

I'm glad you're actually building it (I thought this was someone who didn't understand "Thread Closed"), but I still don't think it will work as well as a simple box mag. The feedramp would have to be really precise, and the darts might not survive the ramp (or the ramp the darts, unless foam insulation is harder than I think it is).

However, it would be really cool if it did.

#118458 Nitefinder Spring Replacement

Posted by monkey with a nf on 06 August 2007 - 07:04 AM in Modifications

I don't know (I've never used the handyman springs), but you can find out more here.

#99677 Nitefinder Rifle

Posted by monkey with a nf on 12 February 2007 - 05:04 PM in Modifications

Very cool. What is the part number of the spring you used? I've been trying to find a good replacement spring for my guns.

#117213 Nite Finder Copper Barrel

Posted by monkey with a nf on 26 July 2007 - 10:09 AM in Modifications

I'm pretty sure that 1/2" CPVC doesn't fit in 1/2" Sch. 40 PVC, but it might in a lower schedule (though I've never seen it anywhere, even McMaster-Carr).