clip + clip = huge clip

121 replies to this topic

#1 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 03:41 PM

Well, I'm kind of being a tease with this because I'm not quite done yet. The remaining parts are coming in the mail and I should be finished by the end of the week. What I will show for now is that I've managed to combined both of the stock clips into a single 20-round clip.
Posted Image
Admittedly this clip represents some of my weakest craftsmanship in the past year. In hindsight I should have used the mill, the bandsaw wasn't cutting straight. I had to buttress the joint from the inside using small pieces of polycarbonate, then solvent-cure the halves together in a vice. Then I filled the void with lots of hot glue to stabilize the joint.
Posted Image
The advancing teeth on the left side of the clip are spaced apart exactly 1/2-inch. So provided you make clean cuts and can attach the two clips together straight and at the right spacing the gun won't have any problem advancing the ridiculously long clip. Then you have to trim off the under side of the front of the gun using a saw and a dremel. Then apply electrical tape to the tooth-lock holes on the sides to prevent the clip from dropping back down after only a portion of the clip is emptied.

I spent most of today running tests on the gun using regulators and a compressor to determine to operating pressure level of the internals of the gun. The baseline operating pressure is around 30psi and I'm unsure of where the maximum pressure level is but I'm fairly sure it's atleast 60psi, if not higher. The tubing, piston, and trigger valve should be rated up to 125psi, but I won't be reaching that kind of pressure level.

More later. My current plan is to make a high-capacity backpack tank filled at 125PSI with an output regulated to 50psi to power the magstrike. The tank will have an input for a compressor or a portable 12v motorized pump I've been wanting play with for several months.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 03 October 2006 - 04:32 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#2 TheCheatIsNotDead

TheCheatIsNotDead

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 04:08 PM

That thing is compacted nerf-based murder. That will be AWESOME when it's done. Post more when you're done. I'm really think that this could be amazing.

Very nice CapitanSlug.

~TCIND
It is impossible to govern a country with 120 different types of cheese.

#3 WratH

WratH

• Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 04:16 PM

So does the stock (or almost stock) Magstrike have enough power to lift the double clip by itself, so we can do this without the backpack?
Death be not proud. Though some have called the mighty and dreadful... Thou art not so.

#4 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 04:21 PM

So does the stock (or almost stock) Magstrike have enough power to lift the double clip by itself, so we can do this without the backpack?

If you replace the over-pressure valve on the bladder with a PVC plug and relocate the hand pump (since the super-long clip ends up removing where the pump was supposed to go) it should work. It worked at 30psi, which is the lowest working output level of the stock bladder.

Just relocate the stock pump and do as forsaken_angel24 has done to get to 3-clips and it should work fine.
The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#5 Substance Abuse

Substance Abuse

• Banned
  • 487 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 04:26 PM

That is sssiiiickkkk. I look forward to seeing the final results.

Keep us posted.

Sub
QUOTE(Brass @ Jul 6 2007, 10:30 PM) View Post

QUOTE(keef @ Jul 6 2007, 09:29 PM) View Post

Yeah, I'm in the same case as Substance Abuse...
Brass, ask your mother.

She said your dad owes her three dollars.

#6 godzillasoaker65

godzillasoaker65

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 04:47 PM

Well you beat me to it. I was sitting on my couch last night looking at my magstrike and thought up this EXACT idea. Well good luck.

#7 LastManAlive

LastManAlive

• Members
  • 686 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 06:19 PM

Holy damn fucking shit.

~End~
He came, He saw, and he conquered... But where did everyone go?

#8 z80

z80

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 07:07 PM

WHOA. That is so bad ass. Seriously. Does the clip slip down at all while firing? Thats the only problem I can see. Nice Mod!

#9 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 08:03 PM

Sweetness. I like it alot. My only issue with this is the frustration in lining the clip up so it will fire the first dart. I can see somebody using it and popping in the clip and the whole clip goes sliding all the way through and onto the floor.

My question is can that clip now be brass modded?
Would it be too heavy for the mechanism to advance it with the brass.

Now If you can get some more clips and double them over. With your backpack mod it could become the Magstrike 100!

Where do you find regulators?

I look forward to the rest of this mod and just like I said, "But with more hardware"
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#10 Substance Abuse

Substance Abuse

• Banned
  • 487 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 08:11 PM

This mod is so sick. I was trying to configure a mod including a bike pump with the magstrike but then I dumped the idea due to not enough details.

What my thought was was to attach the bike pump to the air bladder and pump away into it. Accept I soon found out that I would just be pumping useless air into the air bladder and it would affect the range at all.

To work I would have to pump the bike pump uber fast. I would probably have to pump so hard that I would crack the shell.

But still Keep working on it and good luck finding that regulator. I think Lowes may have some. If I recall correctly I think I saw them a couple weeks ago near the power tools.
QUOTE(Brass @ Jul 6 2007, 10:30 PM) View Post

QUOTE(keef @ Jul 6 2007, 09:29 PM) View Post

Yeah, I'm in the same case as Substance Abuse...
Brass, ask your mother.

She said your dad owes her three dollars.

#11 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 08:13 PM

Sweetness. I like it alot. My only issue with this is the frustration in lining the clip up so it will fire the first dart. I can see somebody using it and popping in the clip and the whole clip goes sliding all the way through and onto the floor.

As long as you put the belt clip back onto the top of the 20-round clip it can't fall through the gun.

My question is can that clip now be brass modded?

I don't know. The advancing mechanism is pretty strong, even at 30psi.

Now If you can get some more clips and double them over. With your backpack mod it could become the Magstrike 100!

I don't intend to buy that many of these. I wanted to remove the need to swap out clips endlessly. If I do buy another I'll just modify it the same way and hook it up to the tank so I can have one in each hand.
The tank I have planned should be able to fire off ATLEAST 60 darts before needing to be refilled.

Where do you find regulators?

I just found a really good deal on eBay for the kind I needed (ordered one this afternoon).
http://cgi.ebay.com/...1QQcmdZViewItem

Otherwise Mcmaster has some for $15. Avoid "regulators" for painting applications because they're only made to regulate flow, not pressure.

If you're trying to regulate the output of a custom tank you have to use a non-relieving regulator otherwise the regulator itself will slowly empty the tank.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 03 October 2006 - 08:19 PM.

#12 Gameaddict

Gameaddict

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 08:17 PM

I had the same idea, but I probably can't pull it off with what little modding experience I have. I look forward to the results.

#13 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 08:25 PM

Yeah, it was a very logical change. Not original thinking at all, I just have access to everything I need in order to do this in very short order (i.e. I'm damned lucky and have alot of practice with the tools required).
In order for the clip to work you have to be very exacting when combining the two halves. The end product has to be straight and perfectly spaced. I almost fudged it up by using the wrong tool for the job, but corrected the mistake by using a vice and two carpenter squares to make sure the two halves got glued together precisely.
The gear track and slide on the sides of the clip make it fairly easy to get the two halves squared. The difficult parts is cutting the halves cleanly so that you can fit them together.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 03 October 2006 - 08:27 PM.

#14 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 04 October 2006 - 09:42 PM

My building materials for the custom air tank came in the mail as well as the fittings I need. Tomorrow I'm going to the machine shop to make the tank, and hopefully the regulator I ordered will come in the afternoon so I can run some more tests.

Plumbing parts are a huge pain in the ass. I'm probably going to have to make my own end caps for the pipe in order to ensure that the seal will be strong enough.

#15 SirTofu

SirTofu

• Members
  • 424 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 06:08 PM

I'm gonna buy 2 magstrikes and make an external tank when I can, but the tank will be made out of rubber tubing that doom recommended. The construction is so simple it's ridiculous.
Nobody online Nerfs in the SE :(

#16 King Of Butt Land

King Of Butt Land

• Banned
  • 324 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 06:40 PM

I don't see why you guys are going therough the trouble of constucting heavy external tanks when you can just used a regulated compressed air tank for a paintball gun.

-Butt
QUOTE(Puppy-§layer @ Dec 18 2008, 04:22 AM) View Post

This contest may have some flaws, as people can simply be a deuschbag over the internet. By Lying.

A war-like setting/invitational would be better...

#17 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 07:00 PM

The gun is prepped. Now I'm just waiting for the regulator and pipe parts to come in the mail.
Posted Image

I'm gonna buy 2 magstrikes and make an external tank when I can, but the tank will be made out of rubber tubing that doom recommended. The construction is so simple it's ridiculous.

I recommend using buna-N tubing if you're looking to make a much larger bladder for this gun. Mcmaster part# 5235K57 is the exact same ID and OD as the stock bladder, but you could order a 1 or 2 foot length of it and then build a new shell to cover it. Making a larger bladder rather than an external tank will ensure that you don't have to buy tubing, fittings, and a regulator. You will however want to use a new pump because a larger bladder would take FOREVER to fill with the stock pump.

I don't see why you guys are going therough the trouble of constucting heavy external tanks when you can just used a regulated compressed air tank for a paintball gun.

-Butt

Paintball equipment is expensive. ESPECIALLY HPA tanks. I'm making an external regulated low-pressure tank replacement for only $30 in parts. A decent HPA tank would cost $60 or more.

I'm making a low-pressure tank so that I can refill it with a large bicycle pump at a war should I not have access to a compressor. Nerf is about low cost and portability.
For much much larger guns I will be using high pressure air tanks, but I will keep the custom low pressure tank around in the event that I manage to empty the high pressure tank. The aim is to make this my primary.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 05 October 2006 - 07:22 PM.

#18 sam

sam

• Members
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 09:46 PM

You, my good sir, are ridiculous
Awesome work can't wait to see it finished.
Why do you want to make this your primary instead of your Longshot?

#19 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 10:31 PM

Why do you want to make this your primary instead of your Longshot?

I don't really care about range because I enjoy close-in fighting. This gun will give me 20 rounds on hand to fire in semi or full auto. Should I need more range I can simply dial up the regulator a little bit. The other benefit of the magstrike is that it's less picky about ammunition. Once I pluck out the pegs I can stuff any micro-sized dart in and it will fire it.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 05 October 2006 - 10:40 PM.

#20 3DBBQ

3DBBQ

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 11:41 PM

AMAZING! go00od mod!

#21 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 01:23 AM

Well, I thought I was done with the gun until I realized that the forward grip is pretty useless now that the clip is so long. And to make the gun lighter and more compact I went ahead and trimmed it off. It makes reloading the clip a piece of cake since I don't have to take it out of the gun to refill it.
Posted Image
I'm going to nickname this the "Towering Inferno". :D

And no there's no need to worry about the stability of the clip or the rigidity of the gun. The side pieces that are left are the pieces of the shell that hold the clip, which slides along a very snug track. The clip can't move forward even if it wanted to.

#22 SirTofu

SirTofu

• Members
  • 424 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 08:34 AM

I recommend using buna-N tubing if you're looking to make a much larger bladder for this gun. Mcmaster part# 5235K57 is the exact same ID and OD as the stock bladder, but you could order a 1 or 2 foot length of it and then build a new shell to cover it. Making a larger bladder rather than an external tank will ensure that you don't have to buy tubing, fittings, and a regulator. You will however want to use a new pump because a larger bladder would take FOREVER to fill with the stock pump.

I'm going to get some tubing, however, I was planning on leading it in to a back pack, soo do I need those plastic green parts? And cna I find a wide selection of hosebarbs at home depot, will I need to order them online?
Nobody online Nerfs in the SE :(

#23 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 10:27 AM

Well, I thought I was done with the gun until I realized that the forward grip is pretty useless now that the clip is so long. And to make the gun lighter and more compact I went ahead and trimmed it off.

Brilliant. Now the clip can hold longer barrels. Captain slug you need to do my version of the clip mod or find your own way of making the clip air tight. I just hope the shell doesnt snap if you were to drop it.
Towering Inferno is an excellent name.
Now the operating pressure is 30 psi. You plan on boosting that up. That will speed up the ROF. If you were to slap a few rubber bands on the piston or found some original way of strengthening the piston, the air pressure would have to build up more before firing a dart. As you know this would give you more range.
If you plan on backpack modding this thing then you might as well strengthen the piston.

If you strengthen the piston and don't do the clip mod I can guarantee you that the taggers will spiral out of control. I discovered this happened with my unbrassed clip when I fired it after banding the piston. It needs the brass. Now if you are going to use stefans I have to suggest 9/16" brass because with 17/32" the brass was too tight and they only went 50'. However 17/32" is perfect for tagger darts. Now if you strengthen the piston beyond what I did you will need longer barrels for sure.

I also love how small it is now.
It is like a nerf Oozie. (Dont know if I spelt that right.) Or maybe is called a ZMG

I am really looking forward to the finished product.

Edited by Forsaken_angel24, 06 October 2006 - 10:28 AM.

I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#24 Mirodasc

Mirodasc

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 10:47 AM

I also love how small it is now.
It is like a nerf Oozie. (Dont know if I spelt that right.) Or maybe is called a ZMG

I am really looking forward to the finished product.

You got the pronunciation right, but it's spelt UZI, an Israilie sub machine gun. Built like a tank, and simple as all hell. If he could increase the range we could upgrade it to a light carbine. :D Looks good Capntain! When ya gonna go on msn next, eh? We need to talk some more.

Carpe Diem,
Michael S.

Edited by Mirodasc, 06 October 2006 - 12:01 PM.

#25 Fredfred

Fredfred

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 11:45 AM

You got the pronunciation right, but it's spelt UZI, an Israilie sud machine gun.

added that hilarious quote to my signature, while playing with my butthole. Awesome job CaptainSlug.

Edited by Fredfred, 06 October 2006 - 11:48 AM.

You got the pronunciation right, but it's spelt UZI, an Israilie sud machine gun.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users