Prometheus's Content

There have been 675 items by Prometheus (Search limited from 27-December 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#150528 Brass Ls Breach

Posted by Prometheus on 11 April 2008 - 10:33 AM in Modifications

I would also recommend JB Weld. I used it to repair a broken nozzle for dispensing battery acid. Hasn't broken in the same place yet.

#149061 Petg Breech?

Posted by Prometheus on 03 April 2008 - 11:43 AM in Modifications

From my understanding, PETG is extruded, which means that you won't have close enough tolerances for consistent sealing.

#148768 Semi Auto Prototype

Posted by Prometheus on 01 April 2008 - 11:03 PM in Homemades

If you want to spend 20 to 30 minutes of manual labor attempting to save yourself $3.75 then that's your prerogative.

I could make $6 in that half hour, doing a job that is less physically demanding, pay to get my tank filled, and still have money to buy a can of beer. Way farther ahead this way.

Good idea Slug.

#148481 Semi Auto Prototype

Posted by Prometheus on 31 March 2008 - 10:29 PM in Homemades

No. No manual pump can even approach 2500 psi.

That's wrong. PCP airgun pumps can pump up to 230 bar, which is over 3000 psi.

http://www.pilkguns....cessories.shtml

Scroll down the page a little.

Look at the price tage dumbass.

$205 is a lot of money to just drop on a low-volume hand-pump.

#147112 Semi Auto Prototype

Posted by Prometheus on 26 March 2008 - 02:25 PM in Homemades

Where's the magazine/clip?

#146295 Nerf Losing

Posted by Prometheus on 22 March 2008 - 03:34 PM in General Nerf

Yeah, sometimes you even buy something, and it gets lost in the mail, etc.

Shit happens.

Grow some balls, move on with life.

#144139 Mod Idea For A Recon

Posted by Prometheus on 06 March 2008 - 06:25 PM in Modifications

While yes, one of the highlights of the recon is the high rate of fire, one of the low point of pump guns is low rate of fire. Combining these would provide an interesting median.

Cough *AT3K* Cough, cough.

#139666 Btg And Rf100

Posted by Prometheus on 11 February 2008 - 09:16 PM in Modifications

A PVC tank holding 3000 shots worth of air? At what psi?

#139137 The "doomsday" Movie

Posted by Prometheus on 07 February 2008 - 02:57 PM in Off Topic

Goddammit, the apple link in the first post doesn't work.

#139105 What Is So Good About The Nightfinder?

Posted by Prometheus on 07 February 2008 - 07:37 AM in General Nerf

Why?
Well, several reasons.

-Reliability
If you ever look inside a Nitefinder, you will see a very simple set up of a plunger, a plunger tube, a catch, and a barrel. The only complex thing in there is the light, which most everyone rips out at some point. This is a huge reason why the LnL is so popular; simplicity at it's best.

-Performance
Not only does the Nitefinder reliably shoot a plenty far for a sidearm, it also has a fairly quick reload. Earlier, there was someone talking about two types of reload speed, Burst rate of fire is over a short amount of time, something the Maverick excels in. The other (I forget the name of this one...) is over a longer period of time, something the Nitefinder at least matches the Maverick in. Sure you can get off 6 shots way quicker than with a Nitefinder, but by the time you reload the whole turret, I bet I can get off my 5th-6th shot and be almost ready for the next.

-Availability
The Nitefinder is widely available all over the place, and for a cheap cost. I think Nitefinders over here are right around $7, with Mavericks being more like $10.

Just overall, the Nitefinder seems to win over the Maverick, and so it is the most popular sidearm for Nerfers.
Now, I'm not saying Mavericks are bad, despite other people's opinions. I think there's a place for them, and with proper modification, they can be quite good. Give it a swappable clip, a stronger spring, a more reliable rotating mechanism and some reinforcement. You should probably be able to hit 50' consistently with great rate of fire. Use it for rushing, defending, cover fire, etc. and it can be prove to be quite useful.

Yeah, Slug mentioned burts ROF and sustained ROF. A Magstrike has a high burst ROF, where as something like the AT3K or LS has a decent sustained ROF.

#137935 Long Shot Homemade Clips

Posted by Prometheus on 31 January 2008 - 12:06 PM in Modifications

And even then, shouldn't this be in homemades?

Or is he right because it's for a modded blaster?

It's a homemade item. If he modded a clip, then it's a mod.

#137849 My First Homemade

Posted by Prometheus on 30 January 2008 - 05:22 PM in Homemades

So that huge thing is pretty much a giant air tank with a barrel on it? That's awesome, the huge bazooka like look to it really impresses me. Oh yeah, and why don't you capitalize anything?

Or use punctuation for that matter.

#137733 Ar-15 Spring

Posted by Prometheus on 29 January 2008 - 06:28 PM in General Nerf

He needs the ACTION (Also called the BUFFER) spring, not the detent.
http://www.midwaydan...atics/ar15.html

Just call some local gun shops. Most of them carry them, know someone that does, or can order them for you.

What does the detent spring do?

#137647 Way Of The Gun

Posted by Prometheus on 28 January 2008 - 06:14 PM in Nerf Wars

Well, at least they appreciate some Hank Williams Jr.

#137506 Trigger Designs

Posted by Prometheus on 27 January 2008 - 03:11 PM in Homemades

For Keef's and/or other's benefit, I'll post a diagram of how to wire together a solenoid, switch, and three 9 volt batteries:

Posted Image

It's up to you to figure out how exactly to attach all of the wires, but that at least shows what to connect to what.

That's for a 24V solenoid. Not 12V.

#137464 Who Wants Some Recon Rebuild?

Posted by Prometheus on 27 January 2008 - 01:41 AM in Modifications

Well, as a former engineering student, I don't have much to offer without internal pics.

#137314 My Answer To The Great Homemade Manta Debate

Posted by Prometheus on 26 January 2008 - 01:19 PM in Homemades

All I can say is, this must have taken forever, that is some serious commitment man.

#137201 Tire Valve Problem

Posted by Prometheus on 25 January 2008 - 03:39 PM in Homemades

Plumber's Goop works well on rubber, for me anyways.

#137185 The Snap-5

Posted by Prometheus on 25 January 2008 - 01:09 PM in Homemades

For a compression spring I refuse to believe that a shorter spring is harder to compress until I see a verified source. F = -kx, so if you cut it down, x is then decreased because you can't compress it as much, resulting in a smaller force.

Changing the number of active coils will change the spring constant (k).

http://www.engineers...comp_calc_k.htm

Fuck. Thanks for correcting that. Glad you took the time to prove me wrong, not many people are worried about verifying their data. Props Carbon.

#137150 Heath Ledger Is Dead

Posted by Prometheus on 24 January 2008 - 11:21 PM in Off Topic

No, Whitey. He had long chick hair that was whiter than.... white. He was like, some old wizard dude who rode a horse or something. I forget, my dad told me a few years back.

umm i think you mean harry potter. the main wizard died.
not lotr.

The actor who played Albus Dumbledore died after the first or second movie and was replaced by the guy who played Gandalf in LOTR.

#137149 Trigger Designs

Posted by Prometheus on 24 January 2008 - 11:12 PM in Homemades

You need a power supply to actuate the magnetic field in the solenoid. So, yes, you do.

#137148 The Snap-5

Posted by Prometheus on 24 January 2008 - 11:10 PM in Homemades

For a compression spring I refuse to believe that a shorter spring is harder to compress until I see a verified source. F = -kx, so if you cut it down, x is then decreased because you can't compress it as much, resulting in a smaller force.

#137011 Zaler- Heavily Modded Longshot.

Posted by Prometheus on 23 January 2008 - 07:36 PM in Modifications

Mine has the tubing removed, but I have another magstrike pump that has been coupler modded with a barbed hose fitting epoxied on and it can now accept 1/4" vinyl tubing. I might have a 1/4" to 1/8" reducer kicking around. I also believe the magstrike has a larger pump, but not exactly sure, never opened my hornet.

#137007 The Snap-5

Posted by Prometheus on 23 January 2008 - 07:07 PM in Homemades

I'm probably going to end up cutting some coils off the return spring....it's a bit burly right now.

Wouldn't that make the spring harder to compress?

PS - I love watching the incremental improvements develop

It makes it easier, since there is less to compress.

#137006 Nerf Shotgun

Posted by Prometheus on 23 January 2008 - 07:05 PM in Homemades

Two suggestions FH:

For the tab in the tube mag, use a lip like Boltsniper used for his FAR bolt, with the e-tape, easier to manufacture, in my opinion.

Second, make the tab bigger under the bolt, so it catches the feed ramp easier. Just an idea to improve reliability.

#136982 Zaler- Heavily Modded Longshot.

Posted by Prometheus on 23 January 2008 - 04:49 PM in Modifications

I have an extra magstrike pump if you are in need of one.

#136614 Lancer

Posted by Prometheus on 20 January 2008 - 12:45 PM in Modifications

Looks like someone's been playing Gears of War a bit too much :)

Put lights on a PowerClip to make it look like the Plasma Rifle on Halo ^_^

Nice man, Nice!

Notice how Angels mod actually resembles the Lancer? No similarities between the Power Clip and Plasma Rifle at all.

#136584 Winter-cawthra-nerf-out:wcno

Posted by Prometheus on 20 January 2008 - 12:37 AM in Nerf Wars

Ok, so my car is getting safetied, things are looking better by the minute.

Cardiac Kid - you'll be in Mississauga or Guelph for then? If you are here in Guelph, I can give you a lift. I'm in East (ECO-house), and my extension is 72066. Give me a ring sometime.

If anyone is interested, I am looking to get rid of an old magstrike for parts, no bladder.

I also have a stock titan and a stock hornet I would like to sell or trade. PM me an offer.

See you all in less than one week.

#136467 Trigger Designs

Posted by Prometheus on 19 January 2008 - 12:07 PM in Homemades

Anywhere between the solenoid and power source.

#136464 Lancer

Posted by Prometheus on 19 January 2008 - 11:49 AM in Modifications

Nice work, as usual. Is the painting the more peaceful aspect because of the high from the paint fumes, or because it requires less experience?

#136195 Winter-cawthra-nerf-out:wcno

Posted by Prometheus on 16 January 2008 - 09:13 PM in Nerf Wars

Let's get this fucker on! I am almost 100% I will be driving, so if anyone needs a ride from Guelph (Cardiac Kid?) I have room for a few. Max of 4 passengers, unless you like to ride stick (then you'll be on the roof). See y'all there.

#136043 I Need Your Creative Genius!

Posted by Prometheus on 15 January 2008 - 12:58 AM in Off Topic

Ummm... No. My parents own an '01 Ford Windstar LX, ECU controlled, EFI, etc. We have had the battery run right dead, removed, charged, and replaced. Ran shitty for 30 seconds. I have also seen this done with several other ECU EFI vehicles, and no problems. Most ECU's have some form of backup, such as a small battery, or something. Otherwise, people would have problems all the time, and no one could afford the vehicles due to this.

#135781 Mini Titan Rocket

Posted by Prometheus on 12 January 2008 - 11:51 PM in Homemades

Why do some cruise missiles have fins near the front?

#135777 Bike Pump+ Ball Valve Gun?

Posted by Prometheus on 12 January 2008 - 11:43 PM in Homemades

Get a design together, so we know where the pump needs to go. Also decide on a tank size.

#135042 Homemades Picture Thread

Posted by Prometheus on 05 January 2008 - 09:56 AM in Homemades

Fucking Awesome gun. Any chance of a write-up?

#135041 +bow

Posted by Prometheus on 05 January 2008 - 09:44 AM in Homemades

Would a plasma cutter cut polycarbonate? I don't know how hot or how concentrated it is compared to a laser cutter, but I've considered buying a CNC plasma cutter, as they are around $5000 for a decent-sized one for my purposes. I would assume though you've already researched this already though...

#135040 Nerfers Nerfing Disease

Posted by Prometheus on 05 January 2008 - 09:39 AM in Off Topic

So, I've been folding away for a while now, and I was wondering: Does this download an upload information? If so, how do we find out how much it is transferring. I am moving on campus and my university has a 5GB upload and 5GB download limit, and I don't want to be consuming it all for this. I use my desktop so I can't piggy-back off of unprotected Wi-Fi networks at all. Anybody have any ideas?

#134872 Wood Tipped Stefan

Posted by Prometheus on 03 January 2008 - 07:57 PM in Homemades

Um what I meant was possible to break windows if you get a gun powerful enough (100+ranged) and shoot it fairly closely. I have shot at a window 5 paces away with my (maverick, Speed loader , {Maxshot 10 paces})
and didn't break the glass and I didn't dare shoot it with my singled titan. Its not as painful as you think my sister who dint know took 2 shots for me 1 wood tipped 1 washer stefan(about 2 paces away) . She said ouch to both but when i asked her which one hurt more and she said the washer stefan hurts more because it stings.My theory is the impact area is less for the wood tipped therefore spreading out the force of impact ...

That is contradictory. If the impact area is large, the force is spread out, but if it is small, then the force is more concentrated, and hurts more.

#134729 Beginner's Guide To Machining Plastics

Posted by Prometheus on 02 January 2008 - 02:47 PM in Modifications

Alright...this is pinned so hopefully it's not bad that I'm reviving it. It looks like I could ask on this thread since you're talking about CAD... well when I try to download Alibre it asks me for all this information. Information that I usually don't have to ever fill out over the internet to get something. I would fill it out without hesitation if I lived somewhere else, but I don't want my parents to get spammed with phone calls. Do you have to own a company to register? Could I use my cell phone which I never use for a phone number?

Better yet, is there a mirror that I could download this from without registering?

I filled it all out, never received a phone call or spam or anything. I think they use it just to keep track of where their software is being used, and it's also for promotional things, like when there is a special on the full version of alibre.

#134687 Happy New Year!

Posted by Prometheus on 02 January 2008 - 12:47 AM in Off Topic

You didn't actually drink that much. And margarita mix is just lime-ade, basically, it's not alcaholic. I celebrated my birthday (yes really), but other than that, it was pretty uneventful.

Well I guess I have to drink more next time! :blush:

Yeah, you need to drink alot more. The second time I got drunk, it took me a 40, and I was only 5'10", and 160 lbs. at the time. Drink a six-pack.