What I came to do is tell you how terrible, and terribly stolen this film looks from the trailer alone.
- Classic pandemic/epidemic situation, beaten to death by recent examples like 28 Days Later, I Am Legend, Outbreak and just every other movie of late.
- Containment/quarantine/division of cities like 28 WEEKS Later, I Am Legend and even District B-13. Also note the high tech command centres and level of surveillence ala 28 Weeks Later.
- At some stage they will have to randomly go into a hospital or house to find someones research or something. Generally for no apparent reason. This personalises the fighting and makes it scary blah blah blah, because otherwise nothing would really happen in the movie.
- You have the petite super heroine able to take down 'roid-filled muscle men with single blows ala Underworld, Blade Trinity
- Said heroine will probably spend more time posing in a tank top and lycra pants with gratuitous buttshots, like the trailer. The parallel? You guessed it, Transformers.
- There will be more product placement than nokia phones in a Pussy Cat Dolls film clip or just about every product seen in Transformers
- Don't even get me started on the... "THIS..IS..
SPARTA.. OUR CITY"..
- What kind of saves it is the use of cinematography, the blue hues of Underworld, the vast unpopulated spaces of 28 Days Later, The Day After Tomorrow and most recently I Am Legend, as well as the desolate urban underground, complete with the cyclone wire of the Dark Angel series.
- Probably most dissapointing is the Mad Max similarities.
I don't know where in Scotland you're going to find desert marauders, but somehow this movie has done it.
Note the thick metal armour and leathery goodness of the baddies on their gunships/cars you might compare to Mad Max 1/2/3 and Waterworld.
With a chase scene reminiscent of the second movie, complete with ghetto blockade bus, I'll wear it, but when you steal from the third, and probably worst movie, Beyong the Thunderdome you know you're a bad person.
- Also, throw in roof-top Hajiis for good measure, like Black Hawk Down, Clear and Present Danger, The Kingdom and just about every hollywood movie about a country that doesn't speak English.
Watching this movie you can't help but feel you've seen it all before.