Photo

Btg And Rf100

33 replies to this topic

#1 General Cole

General Cole

• Banned
  • 868 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 09:05 PM

Cactus and the RF100 have been done for some time. Now it’s pictures time.

Posted Image

Image showing the clip attachment and RF100 shell attachment site. The RF100's side comes off to load a whole new turret. Or you can just remove the barrels and drop on a new barrel clip.

Posted Image

Push button to fire the RF100. A threaded outlet is on the other side to attach the valve to an external backpack or bladder.

Posted Image

BAD IMAGE showing the threaded port.

Posted Image

Larger view showing the mounting for the RF100.

Posted Image

BAD IMAGE showing the whole weapon.

Posted Image

Image showing how I hold the gun naturally. This is why the RF100 is mounted at an angle, so that it fires straight without me having to change my posture.

The Crossbow is nested CPVC in PVC with all parts accuracy down to .0002in. The RF100 can hit 35s with +- 10ft on the dart and seal. The tanks hold approximately 3000 rounds worth of air. It is 4in PVC with a total length of 2.25ft. The RF100 is more redneck with hot glue and epoxy putty holding it on. This was to be painted by Direct Threat, but the extra area from the RF100 was too expensive. The gun is really light and easy to use. A high intimidation factor is good. I am dismantiling it tonight for further projects. So yeah I finished. I actually do 99% of all the stuff I say I do. The RF100 portion, 1 full mag, and 3 turret barrel sections with carrying case are up for grabs.

Edited by General Cole, 21 February 2008 - 03:20 AM.

We should stop calling out/making fun of/pissing GC off. He's actually contributed and is available for trade. He's a better than average member no doubt. Got your back Cole.
-Nerfer34

You know what... I know it's kinda late... but Props Cole.
-Baghead

#2 sam

sam

• Members
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 09:15 PM

Well props for finally posting something you talk about. A more creative name is definitely in order, IE one not copied from others.
I would make it a lot simper and just throw some barrels on the RF20. The more complicated you make it, the less likely it is to work in a war. Also a smaller tank, or switch to a paintball HPA tank would be good.

Edited by sam, 11 February 2008 - 11:23 PM.

#3 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 780 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 09:16 PM

A PVC tank holding 3000 shots worth of air? At what psi?
QUOTE(VACC @ Jan 24 2008, 06:12 AM) View Post
I am NEVER going to sleep naked in the bed of a former child star ever again....seriously

#4 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 09:29 PM

You FINALLY posted pictures of something. I thought this day would never come, but still I'm left with many questions.

How exactly does having a swappable turret magically turn an RF20 into an RF100?

And your tank has twice the volume of my PVC tank (Mine: 145ci Yours: 300ci) but somehow magically gets 30 times the number of shots mine does? I think you have confused the capacity of your tank with that of a paintball tank.

My tank is 145ci filled to 90psi and that results in 80-100 shots from a magstrike or RF20.
Your tank is 300ci filled to less than 100psi which should result in 180-270 shots from a magstrike or RF20.

Did you actually count, or are you just making up numbers?

Edited by CaptainSlug, 11 February 2008 - 09:40 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#5 PointBlank

PointBlank

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 10:07 PM

Thats a bad ass monster you have there.
You can agree with me.... or you can be wrong.

My Latest Mods
The Cyclops
Pointblank Titan

#6 General Cole

General Cole

• Banned
  • 868 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 10:12 PM

I filled the tank (190psi) and fired off turret fulls. I probably fired off about 5-6 extra rounds per turret, so yeah. I is really simple, the only complicated part was the tank. After a new measurement, it is actually closer to 3ft in length. I didn't do the whole plug thing either.
We should stop calling out/making fun of/pissing GC off. He's actually contributed and is available for trade. He's a better than average member no doubt. Got your back Cole.
-Nerfer34

-Baghead

#7 Guest_DarkInfection_*

Guest_DarkInfection_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2008 - 11:08 PM

­

Edited by DarkInfection, 23 June 2010 - 09:52 PM.

#8 The Shadow

The Shadow

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 11:13 PM

That looks rather uncomfterable, but I guess whatever works for you. If i might make a suggestion, I'd say see if you can minimize the RF20 even more than that i think it'd be easier to hold. Just putin it out there.
I'm just concerned that NH could be held liable when Ted inevitably ties this kid up and sticks him in his trunk for safe keeping. Seriously, Parkway, you might want to think about carrying a tazer.

#9 Uterly

Uterly

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 11:20 PM

The Sch 80 pipe is rated for 192, but I don't know if that's what your using.

Ya but I never mess around with exploding pvc. I stay FAR away from that limit.

#10 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 12:04 AM

A 3-foot long 4" pipe tank is going to weigh so much and be so cumbersome as to be completely unusable. You need to make it much shorter so that its volume is closer to 200ci and its length is no longer than 2 feet.

There's still NO way you got 3,000 shots from a plastic tank. A 3000psi 88ci tank could get you that many, but that's way way way more usable volume than what you have.

This Website http://www.engineeri...ures-d_796.html says that the Max operating pressure of 4 in Sch 40 PVC is 133 Psi, soo I'm not sure how safe filling it up to 190 is....

Those ratings are for water pressure. Plastic pipe is not rated for gas pressure so you SHOULD NOT ASSUME the rating applies to gas.
You should not be filling ANY kind of plastic tank made from SCH40 or SCH80 pipe to pressure levels above 100psi. Constant gas pressure loads above or near the rating of the pipe WILL lead to failures which WILL lead to injury. This has been repeated many times.

Plastic pipe is rated as it is for water because it's going to be buried and not touched. You however are using the tank out in the open where it may encounter shock or strain loads while pressurized. This is why staying at or above its pressure rating is just plain stupid.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 12 February 2008 - 12:11 AM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#11 KBarker

KBarker

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 12:31 AM

Sorry to pile on, but come on, accuracy of .0002"? That's 2/10,000 of an inch! The aerospace company I work at makes precision ground tooling and can hold an accuracy of +/- .0002 on their very tightest tolerance parts. Keep in mind this is on machines that probably cost a quarter mil. Not to mention, digital calipers only measure down to .0005. As others have said, adding a swappable turret to an RF20 does not make it an RF100. It looks like you added a zero or two to every number in your post.

Nice gun BTW.
-KBarker

My Fighting Robots: http://www.TeamVelocityRobotics.com/

#12 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 12:36 AM

KBarker, I think you mean most digital calipers only go to 0.001". But yes you're on point.
I've only made a very small number of parts with tolerances down to 5/1000ths of an inch. Anything narrower than that is not possible with manual equipment.

General Cole, you have a long-standing history of exaggerated claims and this thread is no different. From now on you should avoid needlessly trying to flourish reality.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 12 February 2008 - 12:40 AM.

#13 General Cole

General Cole

• Banned
  • 868 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 10:18 AM

I used a manual lathe with digital readouts to make the barrel sections. And I do believe I fudged my numbers. I usually carry an air compressor with me to refill the tank. The amount of shots that I posted may have been the amount I use with refilling the tank.
-Nerfer34

-Baghead

#14 Bomberman

Bomberman

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 10:36 AM

I used a manual lathe with digital readouts to make the barrel sections. And I do believe I fudged my numbers. I usually carry an air compressor with me to refill the tank. The amount of shots that I posted may have been the amount I use with refilling the tank.

Ok.. That sounds a bit more like it. But I like the gun. It seems like it would be comfortable (I have a habit of holding my nerf weapons like real firearms, and that is why I want a xboiw or +bow soooo bad!) But good integration the the xbow. But seriously, swappable turrets does NOT make it an RF100. Only if you had them on a chain or something and they automatically put themselves in, that would be a different story. I bet FA24 could do it.. He's my hero!
QUOTE(silentsnipe) View Post

It's not like that. I put lube on it and its the same. Its just stuck. And when I cock it back it goes farther back then usual. Also I push as hard as I can and it wont go back in. I've tried the methods and they wont work. Also pics are up.

#15 TED

TED

In Brightest Prawn, in Darkest Shrimp...

• Administrators
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 10:53 AM

This probably one of my least favorite crossbows I have ever seen. First of all having a rapid fire 20 mounted on anything is pointless since they suck. Not to mention how front heavy this is going to be. Second the name is just gay. Hey I'm going to name my crossbow Jordan the guru because groove has a crossbow called guru, and I wanted to buy it off of him. He wouldn't give it to me so I said I was going to make my own; then everyone said that was lame so I decided to make something else that's even gayer.

I also don't think that the internals of that crossbow will be able to take the force of a full size bungee or did you replace all of the internals with aluminum you machined in your shop?

Someone call Crossbow Services quick! This one needs to be rescued!

Edited by Dark Shrimp, 12 February 2008 - 10:54 AM.

Star Wars can go fuck itself.

#16 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 12:48 PM

Image showing how I hold the gun naturally. This is why the RF100 is mounted at an angle, so that it fires straight without me having to change my posture.

So your natural firing posture is with your crossbow aimed over your target's head? I'd recomend fixing your "posture" before fixing any more guns. If you had pointed the RF 20 upawards to account for the further distance you should be operating from with a crossbow I might be able to see it, but to point the fucker at the ground.....

#17 Groove

Groove

Certified Badass

• Founders
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 07:08 PM

Hey I'm going to name my crossbow Jordan the guru because groove has a crossbow called guru, and I wanted to buy it off of him. He wouldn't give it to me so I said I was going to make my own; then everyone said that was lame so I decided to make something else that's even gayer.

Easily the funniest shit I've read on the boards in a long, long time.

Someone call Crossbow Services quick! This one needs to be rescued!

Yeah, the firing position looks uncomfortably wonky. I thought one of the most desiring aspects of a Crossbow was its comfort and natural feel when you shoulder it. I guess I was wrong.

The fact that you've even used Guru in regards to namesake makes me kind of ill. Granted, my Crossbow isn't perfectly clean and flush when it comes to attachment/mounting, but the RF20 looks like it's going to fall off if I look at it funny.

-Groove

"Too close for missiles, I'm switchin' to guns"

#18 OfAllTheNerf

OfAllTheNerf

• Members
  • 714 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 08:20 PM

I personally don't like it. Why would you want to cut up the foregrip? A crossbow in it's original shell feels perfect. It's so intuitive I wouldn't EVER want to wreck it.

And about your "posture"/aim or whatever, I think you just messed up while attaching it. You're just saying that to sound sophisticated. If you really do hold it like that, how do you ever hit anyone? Or do you Nerf with giants?

Name= gayer than AIDS.

Edited by OfAllTheNerf, 12 February 2008 - 08:40 PM.

[color=#FF6600][Finesse]-[BitchX]

#19 Guest_DarkInfection_*

Guest_DarkInfection_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2008 - 09:04 PM

­

Edited by DarkInfection, 23 June 2010 - 09:58 PM.

#20 General Cole

General Cole

• Banned
  • 868 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 09:13 PM

The foregrip is still fine. The only shell damage is the holes for the valve. The RF100 was completed but it required to much air to run in the field. (It requires 3 times the air that firing the gun takes, two piston pushing darts into the turret.) I also don't care about names. Bob had an underbarrel RF20 and the Guru had a crossbow and splitfire. This has all three, so I combined them. Flashy names are only good for covering up some flaw in the gun (Save the FingPecan). I also tracked down my operation charts for the tank. I start the match with the tank at 190psi (It is schedule 80) and when it depletes I pull the cordless air compressor out (electric, can fill to 120psi) and I refill the tank to 100/90psi. I ditch the tank and compressor as soon as it runs out of batteries. I carry 6 turrets of ammo with me in a satchel. It never saw too much use. It is light. It feel light because of the way you hold it, supporting the RF100. I aim up because I take shots at distance. That is also the way I naturally hold myself when standing up after my back injury.
-Nerfer34

-Baghead

#21 zaphodB

zaphodB

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 09:41 PM

How exactly does this monstrosity work. The only thing I gan gather from the rather unhelpful pictures is that it doesn't seem to work very well.
Alice came to the fork in the road.
"Which road do I take?" she asked.
"Where do you want to go?" responded the Cheshire cat.
"I don't know," Alice answered.
"Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

#22 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 10:35 PM

AGAIN, you should not be filling your tank to the rated maximum because that is the rating for water pressure applications. Not gas pressure. The two applications are very different in how the material receives mechanical stress.

Plagiarized names are only good for covering up some flaw in the gun.

Fixed

Edited by CaptainSlug, 12 February 2008 - 10:38 PM.

#23 General Cole

General Cole

• Banned
  • 868 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 10:40 PM

In Pic 2, there is an image of the button to fire the RF100. Captain Slug- I have never had a problem with pushing things to their limits and I have had a few say its bad, but more say to keep doing it. I'll go with you.
-Nerfer34

-Baghead

#24 imaseoulman

imaseoulman

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 11:00 PM

Flashy names are only good for covering up some flaw in the gun (Save the FingPecan).

Wow! This is only the most recent of the many incredibly ridiculous comments you have made. What does that even mean? So, if I've got a gun that sucks and give it a "flashy" name, then the gun is better? I'm pretty sure the gun will stick suck.

I also tracked down my operation charts for the tank. I start the match with the tank at 190psi (It is schedule 80) and when it depletes I pull the cordless air compressor out (electric, can fill to 120psi) and I refill the tank to 100/90psi. I ditch the tank and compressor as soon as it runs out of batteries.

When I first read that you were carrying around a compressor, I was going to call BS. Judging by your frame in the pictures you posted, you're probably not carrying a compressor very far. When I kept reading (i.e. it inflates to 120 psi) I realized you are referring to what is often called an air inflator, 12 volts, about eight pounds. How long does it take to fill up your two foot air tank? How long does the battery last?

Most of my mods don't have much done in the way of cosmetics, but you should NEVER take a crossbow and make it hard to look at. I mean seriously, I think I threw up a little in my mouth.

#25 General Cole

General Cole

• Banned
  • 868 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 09:27 AM

About 9lbs yeah. I can get about 4 fills that take about a minute and a half. But god, I'm just posting what I DID to show that I actually do SOMETHING.
-Nerfer34

-Baghead

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users