PissBacon's Content

There have been 174 items by PissBacon (Search limited from 17-December 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#75895 Painted Maverick

Posted by PissBacon on 12 March 2006 - 12:21 PM in Modifications

Just for clarification, the ultra-flat stuff you used is Krylon fusion right? The phrasing on your post could either mean ultra flat fusion paint, or that there happened to be ultra-flat paint next to the fusion on the shelf. If flat Krylon fusion exists, I'm getting some asap.

#67047 Am I The Only One?

Posted by PissBacon on 03 November 2005 - 02:20 AM in General Nerf

Ace, I see what you mean about a nerf gun's limited ability, but I don't know why you believe the FAR to be a solution. No offense to boltsniper, but a nerf like a petg at3k is more able than the FAR; it's lighter weight, less cumbersome, can get farther ranges, and still has a great rof. The far is more 'milism-y' in appearance, but there are more capable (and more accessible) nerf guns out there.

#36041 Helix Barrel

Posted by PissBacon on 31 August 2004 - 08:53 PM in Homemades

So, since rifling doesn't really work with nerf because of the physics of it, I guess I'm unsure of why silencers work then. In a real gun, the silencer is intended to slow down the air so that it's not at supersonic speeds, preventing a sonic boom (I think that's how it works). I may just be confused.

#35930 Helix Barrel

Posted by PissBacon on 30 August 2004 - 11:19 PM in Homemades

What if you somehow bored spiral patterns into a barrel like a real gun?

#68721 Pump-action Clip Writeup

Posted by PissBacon on 03 December 2005 - 03:51 AM in Homemades

Mmmm maybe..You could make the breech smaller...and the barrel.

It's tough enough to make a breech barrel, this one is impressively compact as the barrel slides instead of an arm for loading; getting it smaller that would be near impossible.

I really might have to look into this for a different version of my 4B. It's so much surdier than a coathanger and weld epoxy on brass. Nice work.

P.S.

Point the gun so that the barrel is facing you.

Interesting instructions. Might you need a disclaimer?

#62519 Wildfire Predetor Style

Posted by PissBacon on 24 August 2005 - 08:13 PM in Modifications

I also sujeste that since it would be 15 pounds on your shoulder, to use something a little smaller.

Hehe. Sorry, I had to laugh at this. Nerf guns are very very light. A fully loaded m4 weighs less than 10 lbs for comparison. I'm diggin' this idea though; I've got a couple spare wildfires laying around, but I'm not going to spend money on football gear, especially since I'd never use it otherwise and I wouldn't want to be seen wearing it. Maybe more of a paintball mask style thing with pressure tanks on the back.. hmm..

EDIT: By the way, in any design you have to be certain the whole thing will stay on your body snugly, or you will not be mobile at all. This means that the football gear idea isn't so bad (even though I won't use it) since with some duct tape, or dremel and bolting handiwork it would definitely keep the whole thing on the wearer (it would get pretty uncomfortable on a nice sunny day though; football players surely know this).

#72049 Radio Controlled Touring Cars

Posted by PissBacon on 01 February 2006 - 04:21 AM in Off Topic

It all really depends on how much you want to spend, and where you're racing it around, oxide.

#74487 Bbb In A Nf

Posted by PissBacon on 27 February 2006 - 12:43 AM in General Nerf

But even plastic epoxy made to hold 3,500 psi broke.

Maybe this is obvious to you, but just because the epoxy is strong doesn't make the whole design strong. A chain's only as strong as its weakest link.

#74436 Bbb In A Nf

Posted by PissBacon on 26 February 2006 - 07:36 PM in General Nerf

I'm wondering how you got the trigger to catch at all, since when I look at it there's no way the plunger shaft could be catching anything.

Shouldn't this be in the mods section?

#68974 Question About The Far

Posted by PissBacon on 10 December 2005 - 03:17 AM in Homemades

Shouldn't you just buy airsoft guns? I'm sure they sell ones that look similar to the FAR anyway, and there's no way it's easier to make one than buy one.

#51770 The New Nite Finder Color Scheme

Posted by PissBacon on 06 April 2005 - 07:34 PM in General Nerf

Oh yeah, I've seen pics. He took the internals from a crossbow and put them into his NF. It's got a brass breech barrel and a spring-clip. I think he powers it with pixie dust. I'm sorry, I'm tired.

Seriously, how would that work? The trigger mechanism is completely different on that plunger.

#34548 Squit Gun Mod/homemade 'thing'

Posted by PissBacon on 19 August 2004 - 08:51 PM in Homemades

Oh, the light is operated by a 'noid, like on the NF, right?

I don't own a NF, and I'm not sure what a 'noid is. However, I can tell you where the switch is. If you look closely on the innards picture, you'll see where the trigger is connected to something with a bent metal rod. What it's connected to is the mechanism that opens the valve. On the very thing that presses on the valve pin is a rubber-covered switch which closes the circuit to the laser. It works quite well since the valve pin is held by a strong enough spring. So, to turn the laser on, pull the trigger a little, and then fire by pulling all the way.

#34522 Squit Gun Mod/homemade 'thing'

Posted by PissBacon on 19 August 2004 - 07:42 PM in Homemades

Posted Image

For about 2 weeks I've been working on gutting an old squirt gun (Storm 2000) out, and over the course of the project, I kept changing the innards more and more. Now that it's complete, I'd consider the inside more than half homemade. It's got an 18 inch aluminum barrel with back loading breach-like design. The barrel sounds long, but the volume of the tank makes sense for it. It's also got a laser in place of where some stupid light used to be on the squirt gun. I used the same battery compartment and the same on/off switch build into the trigger mechanism for the laser, and it works pretty nicely. Originally the barrel was much simpler, and I just shoved darts down. Using that design I got 170 feet flat with only 3/5 of the tank's maximum power (before pressure release kicked in). I'm new, and I'm guessing this has been done countless times before, but I'll post it anyway.

Posted Image
Innards, and a TT for scale

Posted Image
A look down the back of the gun, in case you don't understand how the breach works exactly.

Posted Image
The end stopper I designed. It goes in the back of the loading area and is tightened to create a seal.

Posted Image
This is where the laser was put in (front of gun).

This was heavily influenced by the R.s.c.b. loading system. The gun is basically a homemade fit inside of a squirt gun case for looks (however I did use a lot of the valves and stuff from the squirt gun). As for ranges, I'm going to be gone for a few days, and the epoxy won't be dry before then. Hopefully by posting the ranges I won't just be bringing back a dead topic.

Posted Image
Pretty picture

P.S. Sorry about the typo in the topic name (I'm such an idiot).

#34557 Squit Gun Mod/homemade 'thing'

Posted by PissBacon on 19 August 2004 - 09:57 PM in Homemades

I don't know how to measure psi on this kind of thing. If anyone has advice for some mechanism let me know; until then I'll be thinking about it. Maybe i can use the cap from the 2nd tank I sawed off of the storm2000. hmm

#35703 Squit Gun Mod/homemade 'thing'

Posted by PissBacon on 28 August 2004 - 10:13 PM in Homemades

Sorry for giving this topic a bump, but I thought it's worthwile to say I tested some ranges recently. Since I'm restricted to only so much yard space I could not measure too well, but here are some results (these shots are fired level from about 5 feet off the ground). I pumped the gun 20 times and fired; the dart went well beyond a fence of blackberry bushes 200 feet away from me (and I never found the dart). Then I backed up about 70 feet and the other dart I had with me was also lost beyond the blackberries. This gun's range easily beats the rest of my arsenal. Now for improving rate of fire hmm...

#34934 Ipod's Dirty Secret

Posted by PissBacon on 23 August 2004 - 02:09 AM in Off Topic

The gigabeat is also better than the ipod. http://www.toshiba.c...0j/products.htm

Personally, I'm waiting for the PSP.

#47683 Stefan Darts

Posted by PissBacon on 21 February 2005 - 03:57 AM in Homemades

My Spiral Darts

Something crazy I did with darts when I was bored.

#35715 Squit Gun Mod/homemade 'thing'

Posted by PissBacon on 28 August 2004 - 10:57 PM in Homemades

(these shots are fired level from about 5 feet off the ground)

Sorry that information was sort of hidden ompa, but yes it was flat.

#81355 Scout And Sspb Integration

Posted by PissBacon on 06 May 2006 - 12:27 PM in Modifications

Have you given any thought to connecting the cocking slide of the scout to the SSPB's pump knob? With a vinyl tubing tank expansion, it would take a few more pumps to prime, so it would just keep getting pumped as you use the scout normally, then be a backup shot when you need it. If you needed to re-prime quickly, you could just keep moving the slide, which would also cock the scout. This would also be a little more comfortable to pump, as I've always found those knobs to be way too small.

why not just twist around the pump on the SSPB, so that the pump faces you and the barrel faces forward, then just link it somehow to the cocking mechanism. it would serve you much better to do so, as many have already said.

You're forgetting that the pump has resistance. If the same spring energy that's shooting a dart is connected to priming an air gun, the already whimpy scout range will be further degraded. Now if you could somehow reverse the action of the sspb's valve so that pulling pumps air and pushing just returns the pump, then you might have something useful.

PS The quote system on the new forum is so good.

#35714 The Lnl

Posted by PissBacon on 28 August 2004 - 10:49 PM in General Nerf

To me it's just the pimp-factor of the lnl.

#64366 Clip Mod

Posted by PissBacon on 26 September 2005 - 12:26 AM in Modifications

Did you run into this thread from a link I posted? In any case, I have a similarly designed mechanism (magvalve), and it doesn't loose much power at all. It's about the same as adding a couple inches of vynil tubing, or having a barrel a little too long, and not pushing the dart in all the way. If you're using a single barrel at2k, I don't see this being a problem (are you really going to hit people from that far away?!).

#51999 Shit.

Posted by PissBacon on 08 April 2005 - 07:32 PM in Off Topic

When I insert a dick, nothing happens.

Please try to skim over what you're posting before you post. To determine what's up with the drive, I would go into the control panel, and from there into the system. Click on the hardware tab, and click the device manager. Scroll through the list and when you find that cd drive, double click and see what it says. If it says it has a problem you can probably go from there, and if it says the device is working properly, you'll have to consider other factors, like the parts inside the drive.

#74438 R-clip Blast Bazooka

Posted by PissBacon on 26 February 2006 - 07:43 PM in Modifications

On the gravity-feed issue: for my bbb mod I added in a weighted dart on the top to ensure they always drop properly. The only problem is that you need to watch your dart count (which is tougher on this 'nested' clip than on the bbb). The weighted dart makes it easier to load top-fed clips as well. One thing I've wondered: is it really a clip if it's not removeable (like the power-clip).

EDIT: Really clean mod by the way. Nice.

#47680 Dremel Bits

Posted by PissBacon on 21 February 2005 - 03:20 AM in Homemades

I used to have a dremel, but over time I found more power was a big help. I love my Foredom now; you might want to check one out. The motor is separate from the handle part, which allows for much higher rpm, plus you can control the speed with your foot instead of stopping to mess with it all the time. Then again, if you only want it for nerf, that may be overkill.

#34933 Homemade Pistol Idea

Posted by PissBacon on 23 August 2004 - 01:52 AM in Homemades

What about the bike pumps that use co2 cartridges instead? Those would make for some quick shots.

#73285 Fully Utilizing Secret Strike Pocket Blasters

Posted by PissBacon on 16 February 2006 - 12:58 AM in Modifications

To fit it in you'd have to do some fancy cut-and-glue on the valve to barrel connection, as seen in my mod (which cobbers, in fact, beat me to posting). The sspb has that vertical excess route between the valve and pump which can be shortened to save space (or lengthened to increase air volume). If you're willing to put in the time and are careful not to get glue anywhere inside that connection when you shorten it, it will produce a nice mod.

#35249 Help With Wclp

Posted by PissBacon on 25 August 2004 - 11:27 PM in Modifications

So are you saying you modded your scout to have a clip, or just that it's like having a scout with a clip?

#40433 Clip Friendly Dart

Posted by PissBacon on 01 November 2004 - 02:01 AM in General Nerf

Goodie; super power + ok rof. Maybe I'll buy an n-strike after all...

#48177 Stefans And Pegs Question.

Posted by PissBacon on 27 February 2005 - 02:04 PM in Homemades

Monkey, it's been brought up in the past what to do with RF20 and WF pegs. You need to take that red part (or yellow if it were WF), and make sure that the outer circular seal of each peg is kept intact - without them your darts may not even leave the gun. Search the forums for more advice. EDIT - damn me and not checking dates.

#70567 Archery

Posted by PissBacon on 07 January 2006 - 02:42 AM in Off Topic

I've got a nice 45 recurve I bought a few years back, but I can't seem to find targets anywhere for my backyard. Does anyone know where to find/make targets for not much money (haybales rot, so they aren't really an option for me)?

#73111 3b

Posted by PissBacon on 14 February 2006 - 01:23 AM in General Nerf

Wow luke, you did my mod? Have you posted pics (can you)? I'd like to see what others have done with my design.

#73089 3b

Posted by PissBacon on 13 February 2006 - 08:28 PM in General Nerf

Additionally, I will state again that there is no such thing as an "accurate gun."  Accuracy is a user-based stat in Nerf.  Real guns can factor in non-user based accuracy variables due to recoil, but Nerf guns have very little recoil.  What recoil is present can be controlled by an experienced user, or not controlled well by a novice, which would make it appear that the gun is inaccurate.  But if you really take the time [10 seconds] to think about it, the user is making the gun accurate or inaccurate.  You control how well you aim, how you hold the gun, etc.  The gun only fires the darts.  You have all the control of where it fires the darts.  It is kind of like using a video or digital camera.  The camera is not causing a blurry image/shaky footage, it is you. 

I really think "accuracy" does not belong as a universal stat, like other true gun-based stats like range, because of the above reasoning.  No one seems to challenge the accepted, if the accepted appears to be flawed, and I don't understand why.  Same for the lack of widespread and progressive innovation.  There could be a lot more homemade designs out there if people took the time to come up with unique designs out of general interest to advance the current technology.  Also, instead of building exactly what is posted, people should improve on those designs to suit their own local wars and conditions.

Sorry, but I have to disagree with you on this point. Sometimes the accepted norm grew to be from simple logic. Guns absolutely vary in accuracy, though considering the inconsistencies in how they are modded, they will vary greatly from piece to piece. Accuracy in terms of a nerf gun is how consistently it fires a dart to the same place. Sure this depends on many factors aside from simply a choice of gun: the dart, the barrel, air conditions.

In my experience what aids accuracy greatly, aside from consistently creating darts, is barrel length, but I won't claim to have a definite theory of why this is. Sure, the ultimate factor in hitting a target is human ability, but the whole point of reviewing and modifying nerf is to use this skill to its best. You bet players are going to connect more passes using a well maintained soccer ball instead of one covered in blemishes; you can also bet someone who's never kicked a soccer ball won't notice the difference. I don't intend to start a big debate over this; I hate forums going off topic but here I am doing it. If nothing else, we can agree to disagree.

On the topic though, the big bad bow is one of my favorite guns, though I'll admit I haven't managed to see/use many of the classics people adore. If you put in the time to mod it correctly, it won't fail you.

#63788 Internals Of Ertl Fs-1010

Posted by PissBacon on 17 September 2005 - 05:11 PM in Modifications

For $25 I definitely can't justify the purchase; the thing looks poorly made too.

#47603 Atomizer Slingshot Mod

Posted by PissBacon on 20 February 2005 - 01:45 AM in Modifications

What did you say about ranges? I have never shot one of these before so I don't know what to expect.

#47609 Supersoaker Xp270 Mod

Posted by PissBacon on 20 February 2005 - 02:11 AM in Modifications

Many squirt guns will have leaks when you are just using air because air escapes easier than water.

#47677 Atomizer Slingshot Mod

Posted by PissBacon on 21 February 2005 - 02:40 AM in Modifications

thanks. I'm not that surprised though, since it's just a slingshot after all.

#65007 Ipod Nano Article

Posted by PissBacon on 04 October 2005 - 03:50 AM in Off Topic

I've been needing a better mp3 player for about 4 years, barely getting by on my old archos jukebox recorder 20, and so I bought a nano the same day they were released. It's very nice for me, since I hate electronics bulging in my pockets when they should be portable (kill me for not being overweight and/or wearing baggy clothing). The nano came out only a few days after my birthday, so I lumped some b-day money together, and do not regret the buy. I do have ~40gb of music, but it's not hard for me to choose what I want to carry with me.

#64367 Micro Hornet!

Posted by PissBacon on 26 September 2005 - 12:28 AM in Modifications

Couldn't the pump have stayed in the same area of the gun (below the handle, in the case) with a little trimming?

EDIT: I don't have a hornet myself to do this (or I would have already), but it seems very possible.

#47608 Behold! My Awesome Modification!

Posted by PissBacon on 20 February 2005 - 02:02 AM in Modifications

Osgood-Schlatter disease really sucks; as for the crutch gun, I have a pair of old crutches laying around. The trigger would definately be placed around the handle part, concealed of course. I've just finished up making a semi-automatic pressure regulating valve that looks like it will fit inside the crutch's aluminum piping. Just need to work out how the darts would be loaded; I definately do not want to have to ram each one down the bottom of the crutch. Just imagine dual-wielding nerf crutches.

#62527 Unkown Gun Mod(pics)

Posted by PissBacon on 25 August 2005 - 02:50 AM in Modifications

When I first saw the image, I really suspected it was a squirt gun (huge airtank), and that last picture confirmed it. It's got just about the right size tank for a squirt gun to nerf gun conversion; I had similar success with a storm 2000. By the way, I don't know if this was made clear, but the spring around tubig is commonly to prevent the tube from getting crushed, preventing airflow.