You do it

354 replies to this topic

#201 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 12:04 AM

That is correct, Analog. Lexan is a brand of Polycarbonate that is widely available. To address the real question, though, 3/8" is WAY too thick for anything but plunger rods. The design is around specifically dimensioned components that cannot be altered without altering everything else.

I left some tolerances around the 1/4" thick parts just in case someone were to purchase sheets in metric thicknesses.
But the above posters are correct. The clearances between the two frame pieces and the catch plate are too close for all of those parts to be made from 3/8" thick sheets. You would have to make way too many changes to all of the relevant holes in the side plates and grip in order to make them fit.
The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#202 mindlord

mindlord

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 01:46 PM

Alright! First the good news! Another +bow Rev. 2 has graced this world with its presence.

Posted Image

She's not the prettiest but she'll do.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now on to the bad news. Despite my best efforts I have been unable to get this gun to fire past maybe half of what its range should be (50ft at best :P ).
I have followed CaptainSlug's instructions to the best of my ability and everything seems to be in working order. Now in hopes of getting rid of any simple mistakes I could have made, I will give you as much information as I can about My bow.

This picture, as you can tell, is the plunger head. It comes right up to the hex bushing adapter.

Posted Image

I have a clean seal using 2-3 layers of aluminum tape then a layer of Orange duct tape over that. I did NOT repeat NOT over tighten the Bolt there.

Posted Image

The gun cocked.

Posted Image

This is a temporary barrel I rigged up until I can make my breech barrel. It is 9/16 Brass in the front (where the stephan goes) nesseled inside of that is 17/32 Brass. Around those two is 19/32 Brass and that is all inside 1/2' PVC. To my knowledge this barrel should be more then adequate.
So that's 17/32 in 9/16 in 19/32 in 1/2' PVC.

Posted Image

The stephans I use are Captainslug's. Felt tip, #8 washer, and black FBR. They are roughly 2 inches Long. The lubricant I use is from Home Depot. It is Danco Inc. Silicone Grease. Is works fine in all my guns so I don't think the problem lies there.

Help guys, your my only hope. My Mav is getting better ranges!

#203 diamondbacknf1626

diamondbacknf1626

• Members
  • 835 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 01:57 PM

This would generally not need to be asked, but which end are you putting the dart in? You said in the 9/16"?
QUOTE(TxNerfer @ Nov 13 2010, 12:42 PM) View Post

Hey...I got a crazy idea: how about you stop all that sigging stuff? It's not even my thread and it annoys me.

#204 mindlord

mindlord

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 02:15 PM

Yes I am putting the dart in the 9/16. The smaller 17/32 Brass is only to make sure the dart will not get sucked back up into the gun. The 19/32 brass was just laying around and cuts the space down between the PVC and the 9/16 brass.

Sorry for the confusion.

#205 diamondbacknf1626

diamondbacknf1626

• Members
  • 835 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 02:18 PM

Yes I am putting the dart in the 9/16. The smaller 17/32 Brass is only to make sure the dart will not get sucked back up into the gun. The 19/32 brass was just laying around and cuts the space down between the PVC and the 9/16 brass.

Sorry for the confusion.

How long is the piece of 17/32" and the 9/16"?

Do you ram the dart all the way down the 9/16"?

What are your darts weighted with?

How much lubricant did you use?

Is the spring the [k26] like it should be?

Edited by diamondbacknf1626, 09 May 2009 - 02:19 PM.

QUOTE(TxNerfer @ Nov 13 2010, 12:42 PM) View Post

Hey...I got a crazy idea: how about you stop all that sigging stuff? It's not even my thread and it annoys me.

#206 mindlord

mindlord

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 02:29 PM

Sorry for the confusion.

17/32" x.014 9/16" x.014 Same lengths as if you were to pick them up from Ace Hardware.

I have it currently about half way down the PVC. I think what I will try next is to only use 9/16 and have the dart as far down as I can

These Washers. The same washers CS recommended. Also has a Felt tip.

A liberal amount.

Yes. Here.

#207 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 09:49 PM

I've never seen anyone use a nested brass barrel with this. Most +bow users are just using a 12-inch length of one size of brass or polyester.

You don't need anything extra to prevent the dart from being sucked into the plunger tube because the bolt that holds the bushing in place does that fine.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 09 May 2009 - 09:50 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#208 mindlord

mindlord

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 09:24 AM

Alright I think i figured out my problem. I'm not sure exactly why but somehow the Nested brass barrel was giving me problems. Basically what I have setup now is a breech. I have 1/2' PVC with a 2 inch cut out. Inside that I have 19/32 brass also with a 2 inch cut out. Then I have 9/16 brass sliding into the 19/32. It works pretty well and now I am getting normal 100+ ranges.

Moral of the story. Don't overdo it.

#209 NerfDude1138

NerfDude1138

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 03:38 PM

Some more +bows for the thread:

The top one is my new prototype using a different material:

Posted Image
This is not for sale (yet) as I am still working the bugs out. Consider it a teaser.

The color is the color of the material, it has not been painted. The only paint used was on the PVC coupler at the front. The "shell" pieces are made of black Delrin which is similar to polycarbonate, one difference being that it is more expensive. Another difference is that it scratches more easily and that is the "bug" that I am trying to work out. Anyway, here it is from the front:
Posted Image

The internals as you see are the same, clear.

Posted Image

I used black foam in the pistol grip and swapped out the white nylon rod for black.
Check out all my mods on FU.

Foam Universe
We are a friendly and rapidly growing Nerfing community.

#210 Darken

Darken

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 05:15 PM

And so why exactly do you want to use it if it's more expensive and less durable?

#211 Darken

Darken

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 05:58 PM

The reduction of fumes would probably get me using it. I hate having the cut things with fumes coming out, cause it makes it hard to work with.

#212 cheesypiza001

cheesypiza001

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 07:44 PM

The reduction of fumes would probably get me using it. I hate having the cut things with fumes coming out, cause it makes it hard to work with.

Get one of these:

Posted Image

I picked one up at my local hardware store a few months ago and it makes everything much easier. Though it does cost about $40, it is well worth it. Some of the tools I use say on the side, "This product contains chemicals known to the state of California to cause cancer." (or something like that)

#213 NerfDude1138

NerfDude1138

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 06:11 AM

And so why exactly do you want to use it if it's more expensive and less durable?

It's generally easier to work with. It's not at all prone to shattering, for example, or even simply crazing next to where you're drilling. Also you can laser-cut it without the toxic corrosive fumes polycarbonate would emit. And surface scratches are not the be-all/end-all of durability. I would suspect that it might actually prove to be more durable when facing the typical damage threats nerf blasters mostly do - like being dropped just a few feet, or being tossed into a box with other plastic stuff.

EDIT: yeah, yeah ... I know about respirators and all sorts of stuff. But the people who own the laser that I get to use have said no polycarbonate, and that's that. They're happy to let me cut Delrin.

Thanks Bob for the assist.

Yes I have found the Delrin to be quite durable and working with it is very similar to that of polycarbonate. The reason I chose Delrin was that I wanted to experiment with new materials, new colors and to see what else could be done with the +bow design. The performance of the finished product is identical to that of a polycarbonate +bow, the only problem I have had is one of aesthetics as I said. Yes, expense is also a drawback, but I was willing to spend a few more dollars for sake of experimentation.
Check out all my mods on FU.

Foam Universe
We are a friendly and rapidly growing Nerfing community.

#214 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 10:13 AM

Delrin works fine and it machines beautifully. If you want an opaque black look without the added expense you can also use vinyl dye to recolor the polycarbonate parts.

Get one of these:

Won't protect you from plastic fumes. If the plastic you are cutting is producing fumes, then you're cutting it with the wrong tool/speed/coolant and you need to stop.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 13 May 2009 - 10:18 AM.

#215 cheesypiza001

cheesypiza001

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 09:57 PM

Get one of these:

Won't protect you from plastic fumes. If the plastic you are cutting is producing fumes, then you're cutting it with the wrong tool/speed/coolant and you need to stop.

Is it still affecting me (when I where the respirator) even though I cannot smell even the slightest presence of a usually odor-full substance? A lot of times when I am cutting with my dremel, The plastic produces fumes that smell like.....well, plastic. Does this happen to other people? (By the way, my dremel only has two speed settings, one of which is really low powered, and the other which is very high powered....nothing in between.)

#216 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 12:21 AM

Is it still affecting me (when I where the respirator) even though I cannot smell even the slightest presence of a usually odor-full substance? A lot of times when I am cutting with my dremel, The plastic produces fumes that smell like.....well, plastic. Does this happen to other people? (By the way, my dremel only has two speed settings, one of which is really low powered, and the other which is very high powered....nothing in between.)

You shouldn't be using a dremel to cut plastic. The most harmful components of the fumes cannot be effectively filtered out. Especially if you are cutting polycarbonate or PVC with the wrong tool.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 14 May 2009 - 12:21 AM.

#217 cheesypiza001

cheesypiza001

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 05:53 PM

You shouldn't be using a dremel to cut plastic. The most harmful components of the fumes cannot be effectively filtered out. Especially if you are cutting polycarbonate or PVC with the wrong tool.

Is it bad to be cutting PVC with a cutting bit like this?

Posted Image

#218 MoonMaster

MoonMaster

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 06:03 PM

Yes, I believe using a bit like that is dangerous. It is an abrasive cutting bit, meaning it will heat up the plastic. There are special bits that don't heat the plastic to fuming temperatures but instead cut out little pieces bit by bit.

5. Protip: sarcasm is good for making someone else look like more of an idiot than they already do. However, if you are an idiot to start with, using sarcasm just makes you look like a COLOSSAL idiot.

#219 Lt Stefan

Lt Stefan

• Members
  • 892 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 02:02 PM

I have a question about the cuts. I have a scroll saw, but do you need some sort of fence or something? Because some of the cuts I've seen on the +bows here are perfectly straight, and to me that doesn't seem possible without a fixed guide. Unless I'm just missing something.

#220 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 07:27 AM

I have a question about the cuts. I have a scroll saw, but do you need some sort of fence or something? Because some of the cuts I've seen on the +bows here are perfectly straight, and to me that doesn't seem possible without a fixed guide. Unless I'm just missing something.

You simply need a steady hand and patience when feeding the parts through the scrollsaw blade.

#221 Lt Stefan

Lt Stefan

• Members
  • 892 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 11:08 AM

Ok. And when my saw is on, the blade slightly moves side to side as well as up and down. Is this normal?

And does the above apply to cutting circles as well?

Edited by Lt. Stefan, 30 May 2009 - 11:08 AM.

#222 Lt Stefan

Lt Stefan

• Members
  • 892 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 01:14 PM

The saw cost arround $110 and it's a Skil model. It moves about a millimeter to the side.

#223 A side of nerf

A side of nerf

Georgia Nerf Lives

• Members
  • 755 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 04:49 PM

I use a configuration that consists of a jig-saw, inverted and bolted to a table. It's blade wobbles about a millimeter or so as yours does. With careful precision, I can still craft a straight line.
Southeast Nerf Contingent

#224 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 10:55 AM

Ok. And when my saw is on, the blade slightly moves side to side as well as up and down. Is this normal?

And does the above apply to cutting circles as well?

Your blade isn't tensioned enough. Pluck the blade like a guitar string as you tighten it. Once the pitch stops changing the blade is tight enough.

#225 Lt Stefan

Lt Stefan

• Members
  • 892 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 12:28 PM

There's not really a dial to do so. There is a lever, you pull it up, and it releases. Then when you put the blade on, you push the lever down, and it automatically tightens it. I don't really know how to tighten it more so.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users