frost vectron's Content

There have been 482 items by frost vectron (Search limited from 02-January 97)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#144951 Help With A Sm3k Mod

Posted by frost vectron on 13 March 2008 - 04:32 AM in Modifications

Have you tried using a different barrel material or trimming down the turret somehow?

I used 1/2" CPVC for my barrels and my turret hasn't had this problem. Are you sure it is the weight or something with the assembly?

#145033 Help With A Sm3k Mod

Posted by frost vectron on 13 March 2008 - 08:43 PM in Modifications

A description or a photo of the black piece would be great. I think I can help you with reassembly (it sounds like this is the problem).

#145104 Help With A Sm3k Mod

Posted by frost vectron on 14 March 2008 - 04:11 PM in Modifications

Posted Image

EDIT: The rounded part points downward. The rod end points up at you.

#108585 Replacing The Spring In A Crossbow

Posted by frost vectron on 31 May 2007 - 05:02 PM in Modifications

One of two things is happening here:

1) The trigger catch is not seated correctly or is not catching for some reason. Your plunger may be upside down so the grooves don't fall into place correctly for the trigger to catch. The trigger spring might be too weak (I suggest replacing it anyways since you did a spring replacement).

2) The spring is simply too long. When it is fully compressed, it is still too large and won't let the plunger catch. This means your plunger isn't travelling the full distance it should be--the size of the compressed spring is longer than it should be.

#104633 Mod For Bbb

Posted by frost vectron on 09 May 2007 - 12:09 AM in Modifications

I am going to guess why your ranges with stefans are so short:

Your actual barrel length is way too short.

Your "longshot extension" barrel is the really long thing in electric tape, correct? I'm guessing that makes a partial seal with the head of the tagger dart, making your effective barrel for taggers long.

With stefans, the air passes right past the stefan since there is no "head" that seals (even partially) with the long ass longshot barrel..cosmetic..black..thing.

Possible fix?

Get rid of the cosmetic longshot barrel and replace it with 10" of 9/16 brass. That'll get your stefans moving (but your unconverted taggers won't be shooting as far anymore).

EDIT: the above post only makes sense if i'm visualizing your barrel system correctly. Honestly, i can't see what's going on with all that electric tape, so i'm guessing.

#104713 Mod For Bbb

Posted by frost vectron on 09 May 2007 - 07:39 PM in Modifications

Yeah, there's nothing wrong with e-tape.. personal preference, I suppose.

The thing about your barrel... it's almost as if you used 1/2" Sch. 40 PVC on your BBB. The head of the micro makes the seal with it, not the foam body. This is why you're getting pretty good ranges with stock darts.

If you used something that sealed around the foam body (of the length of around 10"), you'd get great ranges with stefans.

So if you use stock darts mostly, I think this set-up is just fine (while I'm not a fan of the longshot barrel because of the weird textures on the inside of the pipe, it seems to be working for you! 80-90' seems about right for a BBB). If you're going to be using stefans most of the time, you might want to consider changing it up a bit.

#123931 Ls Bolt?

Posted by frost vectron on 23 September 2007 - 02:20 PM in Modifications

You can also use the claw end of a hammer to remove it like you would remove a nail from a wall.

#117294 How Tight Should Darts Be?

Posted by frost vectron on 26 July 2007 - 11:31 PM in General Nerf

If the darts slide down the barrel, they are too loose. Sliding (even slowly) is a good indication of being too loose.

"Perfect Fit" means you can push a dart into the barrel without having to twist the dart. The dart will also not compress if it is a perfect fit.

A tight fit means that you will have to squeeze and twist the dart into the barrel. If you push it straight down, the foam will compress a good deal before it starts to slip into the barrel.

In my experience, taggers create a slightly-tighter than perfect fit with 17/32" brass. 9/16" brass seems a tad too loose on taggers. It could just be my taggers or brass, though.

#117304 How Tight Should Darts Be?

Posted by frost vectron on 27 July 2007 - 04:47 AM in General Nerf

I forgot to add that being "too tight" or "too loose" might actually be good, depending on what gun you are using.

"Too loose" will be a good barrel size for something like an Expand-a-blast (large plunger diameter, but short plunger length).

"Too tight" will be good for most spring pistols like the Nitefinder (small plunger diameter, medium plunger length).

#118287 At3k Help

Posted by frost vectron on 04 August 2007 - 08:40 PM in Modifications

This happened to my SM5K.

The rubber ring at the front of the valve was dried out and no longer sealed air. I sprayed a little silicone lube into the front of the valve and it seals perfectly fine now.

#118410 At3k Help

Posted by frost vectron on 05 August 2007 - 06:30 PM in Modifications

This topic might be useful:

http://nerfhaven.com...wtopic=9018&hl=

I guess that piece of plastic Retiate was talking about is making your valve not seal correctly. The rubber piece inside the valve is supposed to be pushed forward against the airtank to close the hole leading to the barrels. When you pull the trigger back, a metal rod pulls this rubber disc backwards, letting air flow out.

My Sm5000 had a dried up rubber piece, so it did not seal. It sounds like there are bits of plastic that is preventing it from sealing correctly.

#115610 Barrels,and Side Arm Questions

Posted by frost vectron on 12 July 2007 - 06:38 PM in Modifications

I have some useful information for you. It's a hell of a lot more important than the questions you asked.

USE THIS: http://nerfhaven.com...?showtopic=8927

#109521 Razorbeast/back

Posted by frost vectron on 05 June 2007 - 12:32 AM in General Nerf

I have a razorbeast.

The rotating assemblies are all toast though, so no chain-fed goodness for me. :)

The thing that people probably like about the gun though (compared to the Chainblazer and Rototrack) is the size. This thing is a monster compared to those guns. I recently got a chainblazer in the mail... and that thing is tiny. Like on par with the Maverick tiny (it's a beautiful gun, though).

#106247 First Person Assassin: Oro Part Two.

Posted by frost vectron on 17 May 2007 - 10:42 PM in Nerf Wars

Angel is ruthless!

Good hustle at the end. I was surprised it took him so long to close the car door.

#118608 Need Some Help With My Bbb

Posted by frost vectron on 07 August 2007 - 06:19 AM in Modifications

I'm just going to say that I went straight to the mod directory and pulled out the first BBB mod write-up.

http://nerfhaven.com...showtopic=5193

That specifically tells you how the remove the air restrictor with photos of what it looks like.

HMMM, let's see. The angel-bow also tells you how to remove the air restrictor.

http://nerfhaven.com...?showtopic=6370

Oh look, the next write-up also tells you how to remove the air restrictor, along with photos of what it looks like.

http://nerfhaven.com...wtopic=8562&hl=

See, there's all these great mod write-ups that people make to help out people that mod guns. Now what I can't figure out is why posting a new topic for help is faster than reading the well-written write-ups that already exist.

In the future, make this page http://nerfhaven.com...?showtopic=7150 is easily accessible. Also, as a rule of thumb, ANYTHING that is inside your barrel that is not ammunition is most likely an air restrictor (or part of it), and should be removed. Leaving it in and wondering why the gun isn't shooting far should bring about a red flag in your mind.

As for the mod itself, you might want to try a longer barrel if you are using stefans. 3 inches of PETG sounds short for stefans. If you are using stock nerf darts and arrows, then 3 inches should be plenty.

#118335 Barrel Rifling

Posted by frost vectron on 05 August 2007 - 05:32 AM in Modifications

No, No, No, No, Yes.

Nerf darts are squishy; real bullets are not. There are about an additional billion different reasons why rifling is not feasible in the nerf realm.

http://nerfhaven.com...?showtopic=8927

#116358 Ridiculous

Posted by frost vectron on 18 July 2007 - 05:37 PM in Off Topic

"You gotta beat your kids!" -Russell Peters.

#131143 Good Sale

Posted by frost vectron on 01 December 2007 - 08:21 PM in General Nerf

True on the fine print, however just look at the opportunity of getting say for example 3 Long shots for the price of 2,...What's wrong with that?

Of course the % saved would be different if you bought different guns, but would be the same if you bought 3 of the same...

You just have to think whether or not you'll benefit from the purchase. Sadly you never will because it's always the retailer who wins in the long run.

Unless your Mickey Dee's coffee doesn't say "Caution: Hot!" on it...

Well, except Sourskittles' plan was to get the nitefinder and maverick (two guns under $10 each) to get a disc shot ($50) for free.

#131265 Good Sale

Posted by frost vectron on 02 December 2007 - 04:33 PM in General Nerf

That is the disk shot expansion pack, not the entire disk shot set.

#103135 I'm Back . . .

Posted by frost vectron on 30 April 2007 - 02:50 AM in Off Topic

NNOOOOooo!!

Not that link!

:blush:
[/embarassment]

#102906 I'm Back . . .

Posted by frost vectron on 29 April 2007 - 02:17 AM in Off Topic

Frost Vectron's Weapon Facility?

Don't remind me! That was the random babblings of a 13-year old... ehh.

I've dug up a lot of my old guns (most of which aren't in operating shape) and I'm starting to rebuild them. My plan is to put out some nice write-ups on old goodies (Triple Strike is on the list just for you NerfMonkey, as well as the Rattler for you Pineapple).

I have to admit, I've stayed away from nerf for a long time. The real thing that brought me back:

I was over at the RPF (Replica Prop Forum) and I saw somebody post up a really incredible paint-job for the longshot. I looked up the gun and said to myself, "Man I gotta buy this beast."

So I did. After getting it, I was fiddling around and I figured I'd look up mods over on NHQ or NerfEvolution or NerfHaven or whatever forums are operating at the time. I found a lot of great stuff. The mods that really inspired me, though, were Forsaken Angel's. Yeah, that brought me back--way back. So then I forced my friends (like NeoMike88.. I know I've seen you somewhere before--like real life) to buy guns and we've got ourselves a lot of partying to do over the summer.

I'm back in my hometown this weekend (visiting from college), and I was tinkering around with my Rattler. I hope to have a mod write-up within a few hours, so go check it out!

Thanks for the warm welcomes, guys, I feel great to be back. Hope I can prove I'm the real Frost Vectron ^_^

#102724 I'm Back . . .

Posted by frost vectron on 28 April 2007 - 02:43 AM in Off Topic

Greetings fellow nerfers,

Just got my account validated (thank you NerfHaven). I'm excited to make my first post on a Nerf Forum since Nerf Online.

I'm not sure who remembers me--if anyone--but just wanted to say, "Yo." Things that might jog your memories: poorly written mods, the impossible triple barrel SS1 mod, that guy with the crazy rattler, first homemade plunger guns, a god-awful webpage (and the list goes on).

I hope to bring in some new mods to NerfHaven soon! Final exams are just a few weeks away... then after that I'm off to post write-ups.

Ah, Nerf Community, how I've missed you so! :blink:

#109326 Help!

Posted by frost vectron on 04 June 2007 - 04:41 AM in General Nerf

Needing a catch spring or not depends on the gun itself.

The NF and several other guns have slots in the plunger where the locking mechanism slides into when the plunger is pulled a certain distance. You'll have to hold the plunger back for a while and make sure that square-ish orange piece drops down into that slot before you let go of that plunger.

The Longshot is something that definitely needs a catch spring because it's all funkalicious like that.

#108706 Help!

Posted by frost vectron on 01 June 2007 - 12:04 AM in General Nerf

Some hardware stores sell an assorted spring pack that has all kinds of little compression and extension springs.

I say get yourself a pack and fish into it whenever you need something.

#104526 Modding A A Crossfire, Help Plz

Posted by frost vectron on 08 May 2007 - 04:39 AM in Modifications

http://nerfhaven.com...?showtopic=7150

Look under the crossfire section. There are SIX mods listed.

There is also a thread on painting your guns:

http://nerfhaven.com...22&hl=vinyl dye

There are a billion threads about painting...

please use the SEARCH function in the future prior to posting. Thanks.

#104571 Modding A A Crossfire, Help Plz

Posted by frost vectron on 08 May 2007 - 05:02 PM in Modifications

Problem: He says he already tried to paint it. Both vinyl dye and krylon fusion need a clean surface... so he will have to fully remove the paint first.

#117454 Sspb

Posted by frost vectron on 28 July 2007 - 06:21 PM in Modifications

What kind of barrel material did you use?

I used 3" of CPVC. Are your darts extremely tight in the barrel because that might prevent it from firing.

#117518 Sspb

Posted by frost vectron on 29 July 2007 - 03:45 PM in Modifications

I don't get 70', but I do get very respectable ranges. Probably in the 50's (my pump is not plugged).

#136720 Mutant Stock Dart

Posted by frost vectron on 21 January 2008 - 03:50 AM in General Nerf

Back in the day, we used to chop off the suction-cup part and leave the rubber collar and tip intact to make our darts fly better. After the cutting, they looked a lot like the dart that you're showing. That was a really long time ago.

#115183 Would This Work?

Posted by frost vectron on 09 July 2007 - 06:52 PM in Modifications

Uh-oh another stewie avatar.

Haha. I'm not the only one that noticed, then. An overwhelming majority of members on my shitlist have either family guy or southpark avatars. Coincidence?

And to answer your question:

I do not think it has been done before, and probably never will. The Longshot is very complicated, and to modify the complex systems, you will need a wide selection of better materials (brass or aluminum) than a crayola.

#105792 Your Best Paintjobs/modifications

Posted by frost vectron on 15 May 2007 - 09:17 PM in General Nerf

Deal with your problems by walking away... good riddance. I don't see how hard it is to conform to an internet community's rules.

You can just admit your mistake--in fact you don't even have to say anything--and just continue to use these forums. So what, you made a mistake. Big deal. So what, people grilled your ass for messing up. It's only expected. If people didn't call you out on your error, you wouldn't have listened now have you? Well actually, you didn't listen. Groove and OMC told you trhee times (total) that this thread was unnecessary. The first time you blew both Groove and OMC off (maybe you didn't notice they were admins), then the third time OMC made himself damn clear. The only reason why you have the sensation of "(un)welcomness" in the butt is because you disregarded fairly polite requests of two admins.

You're a step ahead of other noobs already because you have been informed of some rules first-hand. The haven is a great resource for people who like to play with plastic guns. I suggest you suck it up and stay because getting upset and walking away from great opportunities won't get you anywhere. So you messed up and people corrected you: that's life.

I hope I provoked some thoughts in your mind, Bakura. If you still want to go, I don't think anyone will stop you.

http://pbskids.org/barney/

EDIT: *looks one post down* Ouchies..

#105800 Your Best Paintjobs/modifications

Posted by frost vectron on 15 May 2007 - 09:46 PM in General Nerf

My mistake.

EDIT: Link fixed.

#109522 Secret Shot 1 Mod

Posted by frost vectron on 05 June 2007 - 12:35 AM in Modifications

That's pretty sweet.

It reminds me of my old SS1:

you can add a third barrel if you're feeling adventurous. You have to modify the case so you can flip the selector down on the other side of the gun to access it, but it is great. It seems like you've got most of the things in place for a third barrel.

Props for that good 'ole thing you call nostalgia.

#113442 Supermaxx Fuses

Posted by frost vectron on 28 June 2007 - 03:21 AM in Modifications

I think not plugging the OP valve is the best choice for saving your guns.

This is an interesting idea, though. It has its uses. I refuse to bring my Sm1500 to any wars because I know some moron is going to tickle it and start pumping it a billion times.

When I brought an SM5k to a war, I had it strapped on my back the entire time because the risk of it blowing up was just too great!

#149005 Stefans

Posted by frost vectron on 03 April 2008 - 12:08 AM in General Nerf

I got your PM.

I use FBR from Ace Hardware. One roll I had fit CPVC very well and the second roll I bought is too thick for it. It all depends... I recommend using a good barrel material for your darts instead of trying to hunt down good dart material for your barrel.

#118834 Wow!

Posted by frost vectron on 08 August 2007 - 01:35 PM in Off Topic

I've read this before, but I've always wondered:

They actually confiscated the nerf guns? Are they even allowed to do that? I don't care about the police breaking down one of my local wars, but I will not stand for them taking my guns. They're worth a fortune to me sentimentally, and somewhat financially. Anybody know more about this?

#116505 Mav Troubles?

Posted by frost vectron on 20 July 2007 - 02:00 AM in Modifications

What darts are you using, you should try putting in new barrels.

Replacing maverick barrels are barely worth the effort. You won't get much range out of it because the stock maverick barrels are fairly tight as it is.

#138420 Big Bad Problem

Posted by frost vectron on 03 February 2008 - 04:46 PM in General Nerf

The springs inside air restrictors are completely worthless. They are so weak, they aren't even worth putting in anywhere. Chances are that they'll just get bent and turn into a wire-y mess.

#110201 Copper Barrel / Cpvc Coupler

Posted by frost vectron on 09 June 2007 - 05:17 AM in Modifications

Instead of using a 1/2" PVC Coupler and a 1/2" CPVC Coupler to fit inside of each other...

just save yourself the trouble and buy a 3/4" to 1/2" CPVC Reducer. The 3/4" Coupler size is almost (give or take) the size of a 1/2" PVC Coupler.

#127421 Nothing Ever Works For Me

Posted by frost vectron on 25 October 2007 - 08:26 PM in Modifications

I would suggest hammering out all the kinks before moving onto the next gun.

This would force you to learn more and hopefully reduce the amount of guns you break in your modding lifetime.