Photo

Nothing Ever Works For Me

10 replies to this topic

#1 karpenter63

karpenter63

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 03:58 PM

Ok, so I've been scanning this website for a month or so now, and I finally decided to get an account. My reasoning is because I am having some major problems with gun modifications. I've tried three so far, and only one of them I am semi-happy with.

The very first gun I modded was my maverick. I checked out write ups around the site, and I thought I had figured out what to do...I was wrong. What I did was take out the air restrictors, dremel them, put the non-restricting air restrictors back, add 3 pennies behind the spring (Someone suggested 3-4) and finally I put the thing back together. After this, I was super pumped to try out my newly modded gun, which according to most threads, should have gotten about 10 extra feet to its range. While some darts did shoot out fairly far (I couldn't tell if it was any further because I hadn't pre-measured the ranges) most of them just kind of pooped out of the gun and fell immediatedly in front of me. And finally, if that wasn't bad enough, the cocking mechanism went and broke on me.

My next gun I did, this is the one I am semi-proud of, was the blast bazooka. All I did for this was cut of the front of the gun and dremel out the air-restrictor so I could shoot stock minis out of it. It isn't bad, it gets about 65 ft on average, but I definetely think it could do better if I wasn't such a moron and could actually mod.

The last gun I modded was the Nitefinder. Again all I did was take out the air restrictors. The only reason I'm talking about this one is because, even though the gun isn't pooping, like said maverick, I don't seem to notice any difference, and certainly no 100 feet, which i'm pretty sure someone wrote, but I can't find the exact quote or thread. I might be wrong about someone writing that, so don't sue me or cuss me out.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone could help me out here, and maybe tell be what I did wrong on this mods. Also, if anyone has any suggestions on how to better my Blast Bazooka, I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance!
Nerf...my anti-drug

Frappr - Nerfers United

#2 PvtMcFlurry

PvtMcFlurry

• Members
  • 353 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 04:04 PM

First thing that comes to mind is that the mav is hard to mod. You probably have a horrific seal now. The nf on the other hand is probably due to the barrel not being a tight enough fit on your darts. And 3rd I would say check to make sure your barrel is a nice snug fit on your darts for your LBB
QUOTE(Cannonball @ Oct 26 2007, 11:47 PM) View Post

I'm anxiously awaiting the hasbro over throw.

One Man Clan, or One Man Company?

Crossbow Mod.

#3 penguin807

penguin807

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 04:17 PM

Nothing Ever Works For Me

This is what we like to call a Nerf emo... But seriously, this is a good basic mod for your Lbb. You're not a moron, you just need to start off with more simplistic mods.

Hope the link helps, and welcome to the Haven.

Plugging the pump is also good.

Edited by penguin807, 25 October 2007 - 04:20 PM.

#4 Chewbacca

Chewbacca

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 04:25 PM

The problems with the maverick are either the fact that you have a terrible seal, did the mod wrong, or the darts are wearing out. The stock maverick barrels have a tendancy to squeeze the bottoms of darts and make them just so slightly deformed. The deformation gives the darts a looser fit in the barrels.

#5 jwasko

jwasko

PowerBeard

• Moderators
  • 1,021 posts
  • State:Pennsylvania

Posted 25 October 2007 - 04:25 PM

For one thing, Precisionnerfer's 100' Nitefinder is an irregularity or a falsehood (Badger hasn't gotten back to us on that yet).

60 to 70 feet is more realistic for a Nitefinder, and that's with a spring and barrel replacement. For springs, check out your local hardware store, or McMaster (online store). People say the ACE hardware #49 or Home Depot's Handyman spring are good.

Unfortunately, I've yet to find a Handyman and there's no ACE around me. So, I went to Busy Beaver. Don't know how widespread those are, though...

As for the Mav, check out the placement of you plunger chamber. Some people place them wrong and thus worsen the seal between it and the turret.

Try modifying your darts for the LBB (in other words, make stefans), so that they can be pushed to the back of the barrel. That should improve range a little, at least. A new barrel and/or better fitting foam might help, too.

-Jwasko, STILL Sole Surviving member of Steel City Nerf and Sober Sister of the Sex Dwarves
We NERF ON all day, and FUCK OFF all night

#6 karpenter63

karpenter63

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 04:29 PM

This is what we like to call a Nerf emo... But seriously, this is a good basic mod for your Lbb. You're not a moron, you just need to start off with more simplistic mods.

Hope the link helps, and welcome to the Haven.

Plugging the pump is also good.

Thank you for the welcoming. Well, let me say, I am definetely not emo, but I can see were you got that impression.

Regarding the Lbb mod, do you know what size brass tube I should use to do that? Also where can I get brass, because my friend and I went to Home Depot, and all we could find is copper, and even that was only in 1/2" and 3/4".
Nerf...my anti-drug

Frappr - Nerfers United

#7 Dayko

Dayko

• Members
  • 1,037 posts
  • State:Washington

Posted 25 October 2007 - 05:04 PM

I don't have a LLB but I do have a Big Blast, which is basically the same gun. I did CaptainSlug's mod with one adjustment I put OneManClan's PETG down the barrel.
Here is the mod for it.
As for your NF I have done two so far. The one I did is a CPVC barrel and it gets 60 ish feet. The other one I put PETG barrel and I'm waiting to test the ranges out on that.
For your Maverick I have no idea. When I modded mine it sucked, badly. So I just singled it out and now it gets around 50".

Hope this helps you.

Also welcome to the forums.

< One foot in death...The other in life. >

#8 penguin807

penguin807

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 05:06 PM

I am definetely not emo, but I can see were you got that impression.

I know, it was just begging to be said.

Also where can I get brass, because my friend and I went to Home Depot, and all we could find is copper, and even that was only in 1/2" and 3/4".

What ever you do, don't use 1/2" copper, my cousin and I found this out the hard way. As for the brass, you can get it in hobby shops. I think the standard size is 17/32", but it all really depends on your foam. My reccommendation is to take a dart with you and try different sizes out.

Edited by penguin807, 25 October 2007 - 05:07 PM.

#9 jwasko

jwasko

PowerBeard

• Moderators
  • 1,021 posts
  • State:Pennsylvania

Posted 25 October 2007 - 05:49 PM

What ever you do, don't use 1/2" copper, my cousin and I found this out the hard way. As for the brass, you can get it in hobby shops. I think the standard size is 17/32", but it all really depends on your foam. My reccommendation is to take a dart with you and try different sizes out.

What Penguin said is basically correct, but I just wanted to add a few things. Mainly, it's about what a "good" fit is.

For your LBB, you want your dart to be easy to get in the barrel, but not so loose that it falls out. The correct brass size will probably 17/32" (if your darts a little small), 9/16" (if they're medium-sized), or 19/32" (if your darts are a little big). Then again, you may need something even bigger/smaller.

On the other hand, for a springer like the NF, you want a tighter barrel. So, use one brass size smaller than you use for your LBB. Or, you could even use a telescoping brass barrel (search for it).

Or, you could just use CPVC and get alright ranges. Maybe not the best ranges ever, but not bad, either. You may need to stretch your foam a little bit, though, especially for use in the LBB.

Oh, and by the way, if your make stefans from foam backer rod (FBR), be sure to get the 1/2" FBR.

-Jwasko, STILL Sole Surviving member of Steel City Nerf and Sober Sister of the Sex Dwarves
We NERF ON all day, and FUCK OFF all night

#10 NerfGnome

NerfGnome

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 07:41 PM

Don't feel bad if the first few mods you do don't work. My first mod was on a maverick, and I unknowingly used a petroleum-based gun oil on the o-ring, which literally ate the thing. Half the darts didn't shoot, and the other half flopped out. But now, I have done a bunch of successful mods, all of which I'm proud of. Don't give up on modding just yet; its all just trial and error.
"Women are like Parking spots. The good ones are taken, and the only open ones are handicapped."

#11 frost vectron

frost vectron

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 08:26 PM

I would suggest hammering out all the kinks before moving onto the next gun.

This would force you to learn more and hopefully reduce the amount of guns you break in your modding lifetime.
Latest Modification: The Professional

"I am a leaf on the wind--watch how I soar" - Hoban "Wash" Washburne, Serenity.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users