Photo

How Tight Should Darts Be?

7 replies to this topic

#1 Thom

Thom

• Members
  • 759 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 02:57 PM

Exactly how tight should darts be in the barrel? I know it's a balancing act between seal and friction, but I'd like to know a bit more before I cook my darts.

#2 Guest_yourface_*

Guest_yourface_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2007 - 03:13 PM

It depends on what gun you're using. As a general rule, you want a slightly loose fit for air guns, and a tighter fit for spring guns. I used a 9/16" brass barrel for my singled AT2K, and I didn't have to cook my foam at all. And if your darts are too small for even an air gun, try wrapping them in a few layers of Scotch packing tape. I'm sure Teflon tape would work as well, but I don't have any.

EDIT - For further information, see Cxwq's article on darts and barrels.

Edited by yourface, 26 July 2007 - 03:15 PM.

#3 All Star

All Star

• Members
  • 283 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 03:16 PM

I know I am fairly new to modifications, but from what I've heard, and from my few experiences, you want them Very snug, but not so tight that your darts are hard to squeeze into to barrel.
"One fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish"

- DR. SEUSS

" Would you eat them on a train, would you eat them on a plane?"

- SAM I AM

#4 monkey with a nf

monkey with a nf

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 08:49 PM

Nope. For air guns (fast air delivery) you want a perfect fit, or on the loose side. For springers (slow air delivery) you either want a tight fit, or a tight fit and then a loose or perfect fit.

For example:

If your darts fit flush in 9/16" brass, you would use that for a BB, but you would want 9/16" with some 17/32" in the end for a BBB.
QUOTE(Pineapple @ Sep 12 2007, 03:13 PM) View Post

For maximum efficiency?

1. Pump up. Count how many pumps.

2. Keep going until you hear a loud "bang".

3. Subtract one pump from the total. Rebuild your air bladder.

There you go.

#5 Thom

Thom

• Members
  • 759 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 10:01 PM

I'm not exactly sure what a "perfect fit" is for air guns. Should the darts slowly slide down the barrel? If you tap it against something? If you hold the dart in place and blow into the barrel, how much air should make it past?

As an example, what is a "perfect fit" with Taggers?

#6 frost vectron

frost vectron

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 11:31 PM

If the darts slide down the barrel, they are too loose. Sliding (even slowly) is a good indication of being too loose.

"Perfect Fit" means you can push a dart into the barrel without having to twist the dart. The dart will also not compress if it is a perfect fit.

A tight fit means that you will have to squeeze and twist the dart into the barrel. If you push it straight down, the foam will compress a good deal before it starts to slip into the barrel.

In my experience, taggers create a slightly-tighter than perfect fit with 17/32" brass. 9/16" brass seems a tad too loose on taggers. It could just be my taggers or brass, though.

Edited by frost vectron, 26 July 2007 - 11:32 PM.

Latest Modification: The Professional

"I am a leaf on the wind--watch how I soar" - Hoban "Wash" Washburne, Serenity.

#7 Thom

Thom

• Members
  • 759 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 02:10 AM

That really helps; I think my foam is just right, then. Thanks.

#8 frost vectron

frost vectron

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 04:47 AM

I forgot to add that being "too tight" or "too loose" might actually be good, depending on what gun you are using.

"Too loose" will be a good barrel size for something like an Expand-a-blast (large plunger diameter, but short plunger length).

"Too tight" will be good for most spring pistols like the Nitefinder (small plunger diameter, medium plunger length).
Latest Modification: The Professional

"I am a leaf on the wind--watch how I soar" - Hoban "Wash" Washburne, Serenity.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users