UpperHand's Content

There have been 149 items by UpperHand (Search limited from 12-December 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#196102 Work Soon To Be In Progress...

Posted by UpperHand on 14 December 2008 - 02:12 PM in Homemades

For the bungee cords, you could also use Mcmaster part 5234K962 (latex tubing). It works really well on a catapult I built and is very stretchy.

#196092 Work Soon To Be In Progress...

Posted by UpperHand on 14 December 2008 - 01:40 PM in Homemades

NO WRITE UP YET UNTIL I CAN ET THIS APPROVED BE A MAJORITY OF PEOPLE!

:(. Approved? Just go out and build it, you don't need anyones approval!

#216684 What Have You Given Up For Nerf?

Posted by UpperHand on 06 March 2009 - 10:12 PM in Off Topic

I thought for sure this topic was going to be about what you are giving up for lent, because all you see on the main page is "what have you given up..."
I give up lunches at school sometimes, so I can use the extra money. It adds up.

#205847 What Guns Do You Use?

Posted by UpperHand on 24 January 2009 - 12:15 AM in General Nerf

The sudden shock of the MT20 powering up, the whoosh of air from my AT2K, and the barrage of MT20 fire was enough to completely disorient the enemy [we play in the dark], so I was able to quickly eliminate several decent players, and win the game for my team.

Why the hell do you play in the dark?

#193880 What Does Everybody Use To Cut Brass?

Posted by UpperHand on 03 December 2008 - 10:04 PM in Modifications

Can I ask, Foamfoot, what the name of that is and if they go for any cheaper? Right now I just use safety goggles. Thanks

EDIT-- Never mind, found one.

#173879 Vulcan, Is It Worth It?

Posted by UpperHand on 31 August 2008 - 07:55 AM in General Nerf

Easily the coolest gun in my opinion to be born since the rapid fire 20. It may have a slower ROF, but it's hella easier to reload. And 40 bucks? That's 2 BBB's, to put it in perspective. Of course it's worth it.

#171994 Vulcan With Roto Track Spring?

Posted by UpperHand on 24 August 2008 - 10:21 AM in Modifications

"Im hoping that the added power will improve accuracy..." -nerfnoob213

Just so you know, adding power doesn't improve accuracy. Especially if too much is added, it exposes the tiniest flaws in the darts. Besides, the vulcan isn't really meant to be the most accurate of guns, its supossed to dominate because of it's ROF.

#170282 Tubeless Tire Valve?

Posted by UpperHand on 18 August 2008 - 12:46 PM in Modifications

I just went to my auto zone and they had them there.

-Upperhand

#183086 Tsunami Scattergun

Posted by UpperHand on 11 October 2008 - 06:11 PM in Modifications

Cool, I always liked uber powerful guns (Titan, Big blast, ect) gone shotgun. I'd say to give it a sweet paintjob and it might look a little cooler though.

#185905 Trifinder

Posted by UpperHand on 27 October 2008 - 06:49 PM in Modifications

Thats dope. I would advise trying to get a tad more power out of it though, or else it's a little too similar to the maverick. Easily one of my favorite NF mods, other than a NF rifle on here a few weeks ago.

#195192 Thoughts On Homemade Safety

Posted by UpperHand on 10 December 2008 - 02:47 PM in Homemades

Holy shit, thats some pretty deep analysis. The main reason I think that air guns are banned at wars however, is that they don't have overpressure valves, so their users can pump them as much as they want. Sure the air power is only slightly more powerful than a springer at 5 pumps, but what is to stop the user from pumping 10 or 15 more times?

#196184 The Ttg Of Furry, Called: Pubert

Posted by UpperHand on 14 December 2008 - 06:21 PM in Modifications

You are getting off the excess pubes on the outside right?

#205414 The Thundersplat, By Splitlip

Posted by UpperHand on 22 January 2009 - 06:07 PM in Modifications

Nice, and it looks very functional! This reminds me of Angels BBB mod. Excellent look as well, very clean.

#191243 The Snap-r

Posted by UpperHand on 22 November 2008 - 10:02 AM in Homemades

What kind of paint job (if any) are you giving this monster? Nice work.

#215445 The Official Internals Directory

Posted by UpperHand on 27 February 2009 - 09:21 PM in Modifications

Very nice, must have taken a while too. Thanks.

EDIT-- This should be stickied, or at least added into the modification directory or something

#218814 The Ocarina Of Rhyme

Posted by UpperHand on 19 March 2009 - 05:15 PM in Off Topic

It uses music, it is set to music, but it most definitely is not music.

The clear test is that it obviously could work exactly as well if set to any of thousands of totally different tunes.

This argument doesn't make much sense. Just because something will "work" over different chord changes or arpeggios doesn't mean it will sound good. A drum beat for Rage against the Machine could work over a Jack Johnson song if they are both in 4/4 time, and would sound really out of place. A solo in the key of G for a folk tune could be played over a metal song in G, or even over a song in C for a mixolydian feel. Just because you can cut and paste music onto other music doesn't mean it isn't music. Look at the mash-up artist Girl Talk. He makes his living mashing all different songs, not just rap.

#229061 The Nerf Tank, Flame Thread, No I Have Pictures Its Almost Done

Posted by UpperHand on 08 May 2009 - 06:18 PM in Homemades

I like it! It's cool how you were able to make something out of scraps like that. The only problem I can see is the wheels. You will need some pretty heavy duty ones to hold up the box and your weight, and they will have to be able to swivel. Maybe shopping cart wheels?

#212314 The Marvelous Magstrike

Posted by UpperHand on 14 February 2009 - 09:10 PM in Modifications

Nevermind my question.

You stole 1/3 of my idea I had for the magstrike.

I'm kind of tired of hearing this. If you have an idea, go out and make it. In the real world, tons of people comes up with the same idea, yet the person who goes and does it and gets a patent is the one making the money.

I have been noticing this a lot lately as well. Just because someone had a similar idea to you and actually made the damn thing shouldn't stop you from making it as well. Their accomplishment doesn't detract from yours. By the way, those BS barrels don't look too straight, is that a problem?

#193715 The Magbreech!

Posted by UpperHand on 03 December 2008 - 07:49 AM in Homemades

I have a Dremel 300 series, is this a good model for rotary tool? Also, are the diamond cutting discs that come with them good for cutting plastic, 'cause mine normally just melt the plastic. If not what would a good blade look like?

The 300s are great. Abrasive cutting isn't the best for plastics. The diamond can work, but you usually have to go slowly at the slowest speed. With relatively coarse "high speed steel" cutters you can go faster without melting.

What's so bad about melting through the plastic? I find that I get nice clean cuts that way, and it cuts fairly quickly.

Fumes! Just do it in a well ventelated area. Remember, if you aren't in California, you can't get cancer from that shit.

#179703 The Access Bow

Posted by UpperHand on 26 September 2008 - 07:49 AM in Modifications

I think it looks sick with out anything on the rail. It's like an oversized pistol. How bad ass would it be if you had one in each hand! HELL YEAH!

#183776 Super Soaker Cps 1000 Mod Help

Posted by UpperHand on 14 October 2008 - 07:40 PM in Modifications

You probably already know this, but CPS stands for constant pressure system, allowing the water to be shot out in a stream. If you hook up a bigger bladder you might be able to get semi auto design.

#217236 Super Shot 2000

Posted by UpperHand on 09 March 2009 - 09:36 PM in Modifications

Dang, I was going to do that tomorrow! I was gonna use a 3k tank.

No you weren't. I hate when people claim "Oh, I had the exact same Idea and you finished It just before me. Damn!"

On a completely different note, I really like this pistol. It looks cool, but it needs a paintjob. Also you could smooth out the hot glue a tad. Overall though, this has got to one of my favorite easy to fabricate side arms.

#190101 Stupid Freking Screw

Posted by UpperHand on 16 November 2008 - 07:02 PM in Modifications

Forsaken Angel said a while back that if you pour a little lighter fluid on it then it will eat away at the plastic around the screw. The entire article is here: http://nerfhaven.com...stripped screws
Hope that helps.

#168200 Stefan Weight

Posted by UpperHand on 11 August 2008 - 06:57 PM in General Nerf

I think splitlip said it best, searching is the best way to prevent unnessesary new topics. Use it to find what you are looking for, then start a new topic.

-Upperhand

#202221 Springs Help

Posted by UpperHand on 09 January 2009 - 10:52 PM in Modifications

If you don't mind ordering off the internet, Mcmaster is a great place for springs. Type "springs" in the search box and you can find the exact dimensions you want.

#215444 So I Modded My Rf20

Posted by UpperHand on 27 February 2009 - 09:19 PM in Modifications

if you drop that thing on its barrels, they are going to SHATTER under the weight of the RF20.
other than that, it's pretty goddamn awesome.

Don't drop it...

Everyones complaining about so many pumps. This seems like the kind of gun for short rounds such as single elimination, and you'd pump it up beforehand. Then just use your sidearm. That's basically what'll happen with most machine guns for me anyways...

EDIT-- By the way, its a sick gun.

#178807 Snapbow = Superblaster

Posted by UpperHand on 22 September 2008 - 02:49 PM in General Nerf

One suggestion I have, other than stop bitching about the price, is for Rork. Revise it! I know Carbon revised the SNAP a ton before he decided to sell it. The SNAPbow has amazing performance but there are definitely some ways you could revise it to make it cheaper and easier to build.

I second that. The creation is amazing from what I hear, but there are ways you could make it better, smaller, cheaper, ect. Carbon also has made many different kinds of snaps, but I suppose that this is out of the question because it is supposed to be a blend of the snap and the plus-bow.

#213075 Snap Shotgun

Posted by UpperHand on 17 February 2009 - 05:49 PM in Homemades

Looks sweet. I tried this once but it failed outright. Nice job.

#179206 Should I Host An Ma War?

Posted by UpperHand on 23 September 2008 - 08:16 PM in Nerf Wars

I live outside Boston, depending when (if its on the weekends or not) I might be able to come.

#176172 Secret Shot Modification

Posted by UpperHand on 09 September 2008 - 04:07 PM in Modifications

Looks good, I really like that blaster, it looks really old school. Good ranges without a spring replacement too.

#194636 Scr-6 Rifle Homemade

Posted by UpperHand on 07 December 2008 - 07:00 PM in Homemades

"You said that it doesn't use a rod in the back... do you mean the plungerhead consists of a end cap, some 3/4'' PVC, and a normal coupler instead of end cap, some 3/4'' PVC, and another end cap?"

Sorry, the plunger from front to back is:

Endcap with rubber washers in it like a snap, then 3/4" pipe, then a coupler. The spring is housed inside the coupler, and the coupler is sanded down, so that the trigger is locking over a coupler and not an endcap (same idea though). A picture is worth a thousand words:
Posted Image

#194653 Scr-6 Rifle Homemade

Posted by UpperHand on 07 December 2008 - 07:51 PM in Homemades

Thanks. :P I understand how it works now. I thought you connected the front handle to it so it'll work like a shotgun.

I'm actually working on something like this with a shotgun grip. Can be seen partway complete here:
http://nerfhaven.com...showtopic=14158

#194964 Scr-6 Rifle Homemade

Posted by UpperHand on 09 December 2008 - 02:47 PM in Homemades

Dosen't the hinge on the stock hurt to use?

No... And at AJ.Z, it probably because of the front handle. It looks signifigantly better w/out it.

#194721 Scr-6 Rifle Homemade

Posted by UpperHand on 07 December 2008 - 10:15 PM in Homemades

That thing is just so fugly, it'd be funny to watch people get hit by it. Vacc said something like that awhile ago...
It is VERY ugly, but I really don't care.

It is very ugly in the most beautiful way. Good work.

It's ugly. Oh well. THink about putting less furniture on your next one.

Now I just feel bad... :)
I might take off the ladder sight, and will definitely clean up where the plunger tube attaches to the stock.

#194625 Scr-6 Rifle Homemade

Posted by UpperHand on 07 December 2008 - 06:39 PM in Homemades

Let me start by saying the name is inspired by it being a "side cocking rifle" where the clip holds 6 darts. Now that that is out of the way, I give you a project that has had months of blood sweat and tears poured into it.
The SCR-6:
Posted Image

It has some similarities to the snap, but also several differences.

1: There is no bar coming out the back of the gun, which allows the user to hold the rifle to his chest before firing.
2: It has a built in "ladder sight" that Cartoon has explanations for here: http://nerfhaven.com...hl=Ladder Sight
I did however, put my own twist on it, where the ladder is on a hinge so it stays out of the way while firing, and is velcroed to the body. The view is like this:
Posted Image
3: It uses a stripper clip, but it is more like a chain, so that when the bottom barrel is loaded on the top barrel stays out of the users line of sight. It is connected via velcro so that when one barrel is damaged/breaks, it can be replaced: Posted Image
4: It has a hinge in the stock, (which is hollow), to allow the user to hold a second clip:
Posted Image
5: It has a stock, handle, and barrel support made of wood.
6: Last, but most importantly, it cocks from the side! It has a metal bar which has a rubber/foam grip to allow for easy firing:

As for the stats, it gets mid 80's. The plunger system is the same to the SNAPs, however, the spring is housed inside a 3/4" coupler. The ROF is a little faster than a NF.

Even though I am happy with the stats, my main goal was to create a relatively realistic looking rifle, that could still perform well enough to be my primary. I think I was sucessful. A couple more pictures of it just for kicks:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Questions, Comments, Flames?

-Upperhand

#194648 Scr-6 Rifle Homemade

Posted by UpperHand on 07 December 2008 - 07:27 PM in Homemades

Can you put it back together and get a picture of it cocked? Don't take a picture of the whole thing, just focus on the pressure chamber.

Sure. Not primed:
Posted Image
And primed:
Posted Image

EDIT- Hey AJ.Z, I don't think its THAT ugly... :P

#200566 Rps-1 Pistol

Posted by UpperHand on 02 January 2009 - 01:54 PM in Homemades

Here's a picture of the plunger head:
Posted Image
The nail slides over the endcap on the far left of the plunger head (the piece to the right of the spring) and locks behind it.
Here's a closer view:
Posted Image
I used a method of putting O-rings inbetween 3/4" couplers, all over a 3/4" piece of pipe. This works very well for my purposes. The chamber is 1 1/4" PVC pipe, with a 1 1/4" coupler holding a 1 1/4" by 1/2" PVC coupler on the front.

EDIT: The barrel is CPVC, and I have not had any major problems of the nail catching on the spring yet.

#200554 Rps-1 Pistol

Posted by UpperHand on 02 January 2009 - 01:27 PM in Homemades

So I have been working in homemades for a while, because I find making them more satisfying than modifying guns. I have made a rifle, long range weapon, shotgun, and now was looking to make a good sidearm. I wanted a solid design that would give me good ranges when I ran across this. It seemed to be perfect, so I decided to try a reverse plunger design of my own. Carrtoon owns a lathe, so a lot of the fitting of my project needed to be done via sanding. It's nice that it can be made with a dremel, drill, and other simple tools. Much of the credit for this goes to Cartoon and his design. Without further adieu, the pistol:
Posted Image
This is it when cocked:
Posted Image
The view from where you load the darts (through the back, then put the cap back on):
Posted Image
If this is confusing, see Carrtoon's pistol.
Finally, a size comparison to a NF:
Posted Image

I will post pictures of the plunger later if people are interested. Also, I might post a write up, but not for some time because school is almost back for me. Ranges are stupendous, because there is literally no dead space. I'd say about the range of my Snap (90 feet flat).

EDIT-- RPS stands for Reverse Plunger Sidearm

#173728 Rf 20

Posted by UpperHand on 30 August 2008 - 04:08 PM in General Nerf

Has anyone actually opened up a RF 20 and figured out how it works? I can't figure it out, and was wondering who has figured it out. It might help to develop some automatic gun ideas as well. In my opinion, (and maybe I'm pushing it here) it might be a good idea to have a topic on how some of the more complex guns work, i.e the Vulcan, RF 20, Mech 20, ect.
Thanks,

-Upperhand

- Also, does one have to completely remove the grey shell to be able to get the turret out? I think I may have stripped some of the screws.

EDIT- Hahaha, I guess nobody really knows.

#165730 Rescue Tape

Posted by UpperHand on 31 July 2008 - 07:08 PM in Modifications

It looks really nice! I normally only use electrical tape for creating better seals with shells, so I wouldn't need it that much. However it would be nice to not have to worry about broken seals!

-Upperhand