arekin's Content

There have been 29 items by arekin (Search limited from 02-January 97)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#357771 How much can the stock Stryfe motors take?

Posted by arekin on 01 February 2017 - 01:38 PM in Modifications

Brushed motors, such as the type installed in a stock Stryfe always "burnout." Their commutators/brushes wear away and/or their bearings fail and they become useless. When upping the voltage and current sent to them, you will inherently reduce their lifespan.

So by using 2 or more Lithium (polymer or ion) cells, you will reduce the motors' life. By how much is pretty much speculation, but logic says you'll get shorter life the higher voltages you use.

Actually, ALL motors eventually fail, they just have different fail modes.  Brushless motors can still have bushings/bearings fail, and vibrations will still work harden the thin wire used in the windings causing them to break at the commutator.  

As for the OP's question, you are going to have to deal with the motors burning out eventually either way with a voltage upgrade, it is inevitable.  The stock motors use flimsy metal brushes that will fail much more rapidly as the voltage is ramped up.  If you want to hold this off, I wouldnt go over 2 cells (about 8 volts fully charged) from IMRs or a lipo.  This is a minor upgrade though, and wouldnt give you the performance you would likely see from better carbon brushed motors (even at a lover voltage).

#349417 Second new worker thing that I have found on ebay

Posted by arekin on 03 November 2015 - 07:52 AM in General Nerf

No. Nobody on a MODDING FORUM should be recommending that someone pay $15 for a kit that they could do themselves for a way cheaper length of CPVC and some elbow grease. This is a cool product, especially for noobs, but we should be teaching noobs how to mod, not how to pay for a pre-made part and install it. (Not that I'm knocking aftermarket parts, but I think that there are some like the Pak-D clips that are worthwhile and some like this that are just lazy).

You know some people want to be able to use mega darts in their mega blasters and not just elites. Its nice to have a mod that allows you to go back and forth.

#348390 Hasbro's Homemades: A look at prototypes from the Nerf design team

Posted by arekin on 14 August 2015 - 09:13 AM in News

Am I the only one looking at the elite styled hammershot and wishing they would actually make it? It looks like the perfect cross between the hammershot and the sweet revenge.

#346011 Why is xplorer so expensive!?!

Posted by arekin on 04 April 2015 - 10:26 PM in General Nerf

I went on to the explorer site to look for a few things and everything seems so overpriced! What is the deal?

First make sure its on usd for pricing, but honestly even then its still high compared to the alternatives. I wish I could tell you why but honestly I think its just that the Singapore market thinks they can get that much. Depending what you want from them I would look for stateside alternatives (Or Oz Nerf Nerds stuff, its pretty reasonable).

#345499 Nerf mega spring mod

Posted by arekin on 12 March 2015 - 07:18 AM in Modifications

Hi to the people on the modification forum. This is my first topic I have ever posted so please tell me anything I have done wrong or could've done better. Ok on to the question. I am new to modding and would like to be able to spring mod blisters. The blasters I want to start with are the nerf strongarm, nerf mega Magnus and nerf mega cyclone shock. Both mega blasters do not have springs listed on the Orange mod works website. I am in australia so don't suggest going to lowes to get a spring or any American store for that fact. Which springs from omw would work with those 2 blasters.
I also hope this topic helps others who want to mod mega guns.

Honestly I wouldn't recommend omw at all. They are very inconsistent as of late.

Oznerfnerd does sell some great upgrade kits, but I'm not seeing any for the blasters you mentioned. If I can't personally find a designed spring for a blaster I want to mod my first step is to pull the spring and head to my local hardware store. Once there I'll look through their compression springs for a comparable size and test by hand its strength. You can use a hacksaw to cut them down to size if they are too long, but remember that the springs compressed length can affect whether the blaster will be able to catch. Lastly, if you have a much beefier spring, make sure that you are also buying an improved catch spring, otherwise the blaster will never catch.

#344747 Holy Stone Blaster ... knock off Stryfe

Posted by arekin on 02 February 2015 - 02:48 PM in General Nerf

I love how everyone is responding to this same question...

Personally, I may buy one of these for three reasons.
1. Comes with stock (not nerf compatible but cool for paintjobs.)
2. Comes with 12 dart mag instead of the wimpy 6 dart one
3. Comes with 20 elite-style suction darts!

Basically you're getting most of the "mission kit" (minus the recon barrel) for only $24 instead of $30-$40
Funny enough, I think there's also one that does come with a barrel for like $26

A decent point, but the question comes down to the whether 4 dollars for a non interchangeable retaliator stock is worth it. I wouldn't pay 4 bucks for a regular retaliator stock much less one I cant interchange with other blasters.

#344735 OMW vs Xplorer Longstrike Kits

Posted by arekin on 01 February 2015 - 08:56 PM in General Nerf

Sorry.. that got autocowrecked ( i type l o s er and it turns into loser).. should have been l o s e r KIT!!!

Somehow I though it was a comment on losers in gaming or in general. Either way, I was pretty sure I knew what you meant.

#344728 Holy Stone Blaster ... knock off Stryfe

Posted by arekin on 01 February 2015 - 01:53 PM in General Nerf

Why pay $24 for a knock off nerf gun when you can get a real Stryfe for $20?

#344725 OMW vs Xplorer Longstrike Kits

Posted by arekin on 01 February 2015 - 09:12 AM in General Nerf

and arekin, like I said, the xplporer kit full length dart kit, that once shipped costed 65-ish usd, was an option.

Also, I don't know where you live, but that is what it costs me to get it, it might be cheaper for you depending on where you are in the world.

I know, I was commenting to Racer's suggestion that I get the loser kit instead.

#344719 OMW vs Xplorer Longstrike Kits

Posted by arekin on 01 February 2015 - 02:36 AM in General Nerf

In case you have not seen my review on the OMW kit, here. I am not awaiting replacement parts from OMW due to manufacturing defects on my kit.

I have not purchased any of the xpower kits yet, but if their kits are anything like their accessories it's sure to be a satisfying upgrade. My past orders from them I have had zero issues and everything arrived usually within 3 weeks.

The kit I'd probably get is the Xpower loser Kit drop-in edition with the loser 100 upgrade.

I'm looking at the Full length dart kit more so for noncompetative use. I'm not looking for an NIC blaster. I'm looking for a Longstrike upgrade to make it compete with unmodded elite blasters.

#344709 OMW vs Xplorer Longstrike Kits

Posted by arekin on 31 January 2015 - 08:18 PM in General Nerf

Well, assuming that you are paying in united states dollars, The Xpower kit for the longstrike (the Full length dart version, with nothing added) once shipped, It will cost 65.94 USD (before any coupons are applied), and the Xplorer Xpower loser kit for the longstrike (the Stefan version, with nothing added), once shipped, will cost 85.63 USD.

Now the OMW Immortal Kit for the longstrike will cost once shipped, will cost nothing at all because as I was writing this, I found out that they stopped selling the Immortal Kit for the Longstrike. So if you want this one, you would have to ask for it here.

Sounds like Xplorer is the way to go unless anyone is aware of a third option with a dropin kit that makes use of stock darts. :(

#344694 OMW vs Xplorer Longstrike Kits

Posted by arekin on 30 January 2015 - 09:05 PM in General Nerf

So with OMW recently having issues with completing orders I have been hesitant about ordering the Longstrike Immortal kit from them. The Xpower Full Length dart kit from Xplorer looks like it might be a good alternative but I don't have much experience with Xplorer and was very pleased with my OMW massacre kit for my alpha trooper.

Anyone able to offer any insights on Xplorer quality or any info on when OMW will be getting they shit together?

#344429 OMW Longstrike Immortal kit ... its here.

Posted by arekin on 20 January 2015 - 10:07 AM in Modifications

Please let us know How it performs, I seriously would like to get one if its worth it. Also what is the top prime on your longstrike? I've not see one and It looks pretty awesome.

EDIT: Nevermind found the top priming handle on xplorers site, will need to get one.

#344199 Holsters

Posted by arekin on 12 January 2015 - 04:16 PM in General Nerf

https://www.etsy.com...shopheader-name

planning to get a drop holster from this guy. I'll let you know how well it works.

#344191 New Nerf Guns for 2015

Posted by arekin on 12 January 2015 - 12:13 PM in General Nerf

I have a Crazy desire to integrate a slingstrike into another gun. In general though the cyclone shock and big shock interest me most.

#344190 Crossbolt Official!!

Posted by arekin on 12 January 2015 - 11:29 AM in General Nerf

Picked up a Flip Fury on Saturday at a local Toys R Us, they also had the Sharp Fire in stock so I can confirm that they are on shelves. My local Target (Muncie, IN) has tags for the Big Shock and the Cyclone Shock on shelves and has displays including the Cross Bolt, but no price tags indicating that the Cross Bolt will be out soon.

#344012 Mattel Boom Co. Blaster Review

Posted by arekin on 07 January 2015 - 11:37 AM in General Nerf

Posted Image

Recon handle works rather well, Rebarreled with CPVC I'm getting ranges close to a firestrike without doing anything to the air seal or the spring (yet).

Also the blaster seems like it was made to be rebarreled, One of the barrel supports already fits the outside diameter for 1/2 cpvc perfectly. The front has two supports turn to run parallel to the barrel (wish I had taken a pic before I trimmed them). These supports connect to one that run perpendicular to the barrel. You can cut the perpendicular and leave the parallel as they fall right outside the width of the cpvc. Lastly there are two barrel supports than need to be trimmed farther back in the blaster, these are actually the only ones that didn't strike me as having been designed around rebarreling for nerf darts.

Still have a few mods and paint to do on this one (some epoxy putty work too, but I'm going to add some polycarb plates to the sides so the handle is more even with the sides of the blaster) and I think I will have a really nice single fire sidearm.

#343607 What to do with magstrike internals?

Posted by arekin on 17 December 2014 - 10:25 PM in Modifications

Hi,

I have recently fixed up my old magstrike internals and replaced the pump, but i have no idea what to do with them other than stick a 3B rocket on to the 'barrel' and launch it 10 - 15'

By the way i don't have the shell anymore because it was cracked down the middle.

Thanks!,
Poke

I was considering getting a magstrike and a maverick and integrating the magstrike internals in the maverick so that I could have a 6 shot burst pistol. Used the piston sliding to rotate the drum and the maverick slide could slide with it. Might need to extend the barrels but it would be awesome.

#342638 Performance Stampede Gears Indiegogo Campaign

Posted by arekin on 02 November 2014 - 04:34 AM in General Nerf

I would really appreciate people's help with this project of mine. Upgrade gears for Stampede and Roughcut.

https://www.indiegog...mpede/x/9002885

Will be contributing!

Have you considered asking Drac or Coop to put out the word on youtube. They both have good sized subscriber bases and I'm sure like myself they would love to see a stampede gear set that would support a much beefier spring. From the sound of things you basically need about 1000 people willing to order at least one set of gears each. That could be pretty easily done with the right word out in the community.

#342540 Epoxy Question

Posted by arekin on 23 October 2014 - 06:45 AM in Modifications

I'm gonna say the one right next to it on your Walmart website that says "Plastic Weld" would have been the correct choice.

http://www.walmart.c...d/6000016947679

EDIT: MSDS confirms it contains Methacrylate. http://www.permatex....glish/84135.pdf

#342494 Hoppered Magstrike

Posted by arekin on 19 October 2014 - 11:40 AM in Modifications

1. The assault magstrike mod isn't a fixed addition of volume. You can add as much as you need.

2. Answered yourself.

3. For airguns you typically want a loose fit. What material ultimately depends on your specific foam, but petg or 9/16" brass would probably work well for you.

4. I doubt it, but expanding the tank will also decrease the rate of fire, so you might be able to find that balace.

Thanks alot for the info! Looks like its going to be about dialing in the assault mod to lower rate of fire then. I'll definitely be posting pics as I start to work on the mod.

#342492 Hoppered Magstrike

Posted by arekin on 19 October 2014 - 10:27 AM in Modifications

I would suggest trying to find a different feed method. There is a good chance that the stefans wont feed very well with continuous air flow. If you're making semi auto you should be fine, but otherwise consider that there cant be air going through in order for the darts to feed into the barrel.

I was under the impression that there was not a continuous air flow as the mag strike fired, rather repeated bursts as the piston cycled back and forth.

EDIT: confirmed that By pumping it up and firing (Have already removed the trigger lock), there is definitely a repeated burst from the magstrike rather than a constant flow.

#342489 Hoppered Magstrike

Posted by arekin on 19 October 2014 - 08:42 AM in Modifications

Just a note as well, My plan with a hopper is to cap the end and feed darts into the end that connect to the wye. My idea is to carry several 10 dart hoppers that are permanently capped on the far end and just corked on the end that attached to the wye. This way I can still take advantage of the magstrikes rate of fire and the compressor mod.

Edit: Clarity, I read what I typed and had no idea what I was trying to say.

#342488 Hoppered Magstrike

Posted by arekin on 19 October 2014 - 08:34 AM in Modifications

So recently I was able to find a magstrike at a local goodwill for about 3 bucks, but it did not include the magstrike clip with it. I'm debating my options right now, but I am considering doing an air compressor mod, and then using a hopper rather than a magstrike clip to feed darts. Here is a layout image:

Posted Image

As you can see the clip area would be a great place to store the air compressor since it would no longer be needed to drop the clip in. The plunger tube area would house my battery, though I may have to cut out where it slims down and replace than area with a length of pvp pipe about the size of the larger area below the clip well. The area where the priming handle is would be great for my charging connector for the battery.

So while the cosmetics of the mod seem like they would work well, I still am unfamiliar enough with the magstrike to know a few things, and as such I would like the modding communities help.

Question 1. Is the air output of the magstrike with the "assault Magstrike" mod sufficient to get decent ranges with a hopper?

Question 2. Since the magstrike does have a slide action, Would I be better off creating a gravity fed breech with a brass barrel? EDIT: answered this myself with a bit of investigation. The sliding action would only open the breech about 1 inch, not enough for a dart.

Question 3. With the lower air capacity I get the feeling I wouldn't be able to do a longer barrel either way. What material would you say as the least barrel drag and would it be better to have a short barrel with a tighter fit or a longer barrel with a looser fit and less drag.

Lastly Question 4. Can a hopper feed fast enough to keep up with a magstrikes rate of fire?

#342012 Digital Designs Directory - for 3D printing, laser cutting, CNC, etc.

Posted by arekin on 17 September 2014 - 04:27 PM in Homemades

http://www.thingiver...om/thing:467135

Nerf style Claymore Mine. This is untested, so if someone decides to print one let me know how it turns out. Sometime in march of next year I should have my 3d printer and I would be happy to Make a video on the assembly process or you can PM me and I'll be happy to answer questions.

Posted Image

#341852 Ohio Revolution II: Redcoats Revenge

Posted by arekin on 09 September 2014 - 07:55 PM in Nerf Wars

This is actually relatively close to me so I would consider going. Flamingo I am from Muncie, Hit me up with an PM when it gets closer to late January to February and I can probably arrange transport.

#337785 Indiana War

Posted by arekin on 28 March 2014 - 06:24 AM in Nerf Wars

Myself and some friends might be interested. We are just getting into the community and looking to go beyond modding and maybe get into some wars/HVZ.

#337458 Painting Help

Posted by arekin on 08 March 2014 - 06:10 PM in Modifications

So i'm going to paint a couple of my Nerf blasters flat black, and I saw a couple things painting but they were for bright or glossy colors, so my question is what process should I take for this particular color?

Ive had good luck with Valspar Paint and primer in one flat black (http://www.lowes.com/pd_114033-4-410.0085050.076_0+1z140mc+2z8vi__?productId=3728583&Ntt=spray+paint&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dspray%2Bpaint%26page%3D3&facetInfo=Valspar|$1%20-%20$5). I have had some great results and goes down in one clean coat. Just make sure you are sanding and washing first as was mentioned. So far I have been able to even paint moving parts with it and they move fine despite the extra layer. I would not advise just putting down flat black, first its bland, and second its dangerous as was mentioned cops tend to think the gun is real and shoot you. If you are going to use it use it to offset a brighter color.

#337403 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by arekin on 03 March 2014 - 07:41 PM in Modifications

Posted Image

Not completed, need the brass for an Angel Breach and some metal plates to reinforce the bolt sled, trigger catch, and the back of the plunger tube. The sweet revenge is complete.