PissBacon's Content

There have been 174 items by PissBacon (Search limited from 04-January 97)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#35703 Squit Gun Mod/homemade 'thing'

Posted by PissBacon on 28 August 2004 - 10:13 PM in Homemades

Sorry for giving this topic a bump, but I thought it's worthwile to say I tested some ranges recently. Since I'm restricted to only so much yard space I could not measure too well, but here are some results (these shots are fired level from about 5 feet off the ground). I pumped the gun 20 times and fired; the dart went well beyond a fence of blackberry bushes 200 feet away from me (and I never found the dart). Then I backed up about 70 feet and the other dart I had with me was also lost beyond the blackberries. This gun's range easily beats the rest of my arsenal. Now for improving rate of fire hmm...

#34557 Squit Gun Mod/homemade 'thing'

Posted by PissBacon on 19 August 2004 - 09:57 PM in Homemades

I don't know how to measure psi on this kind of thing. If anyone has advice for some mechanism let me know; until then I'll be thinking about it. Maybe i can use the cap from the 2nd tank I sawed off of the storm2000. hmm

#35930 Helix Barrel

Posted by PissBacon on 30 August 2004 - 11:19 PM in Homemades

What if you somehow bored spiral patterns into a barrel like a real gun?

#36041 Helix Barrel

Posted by PissBacon on 31 August 2004 - 08:53 PM in Homemades

So, since rifling doesn't really work with nerf because of the physics of it, I guess I'm unsure of why silencers work then. In a real gun, the silencer is intended to slow down the air so that it's not at supersonic speeds, preventing a sonic boom (I think that's how it works). I may just be confused.

#64550 Youre Computer Specs

Posted by PissBacon on 28 September 2005 - 11:59 PM in Off Topic

AMD 64 3000+ (Venice, OC'ed)
BFG VNF4 nfofo s.939 (Don't buy this board)
OCZ modstream 520w
Gigabyte Nvidia 6600GT
PQi 1 GB ultra-low latency
Seagate Barracuda 120GB SATA
HP DVD640I (litescribe capable)
Zalman VF700-Cu and CNPS9500 LED (used to be CNPS 7700-Cu)
Antec P180 (original fans and ducts stripped)
3 x Nexus 120mm (manual voltage)
Hyundai Imagequest L90D+ 19''
No tacky lights, stickers, windows; just silence.

EDIT: This is my desktop for anyone who cares (click on image for fullsize).

#64635 Youre Computer Specs

Posted by PissBacon on 29 September 2005 - 09:49 PM in Off Topic

Speaking of processor cores I earlier said I was upgrading to a AMD 4000+. Ayone know what the differences are between ones like Newcastle, Clawhammer, San Diego, Venice, Barton and which ones are better?

In general, the Venice revision of AMD processors are ideal, though if you aren't overclocking it doesn't matter too much.

hers what i got XPS
owned :w00t: 

Too bad Dell sells overpriced computers, like any other retailer.

Does anyone have a shuttle pc or similar form factor?

Slaya, that is just a modified windows shell. The shell is the gui part of windows, so really the start menu and all you see is easily substituted for something much cleaner. I've also chosen to not have icons clutter my desktop; the bar at the top has more than enough functionality. Currently I'm running the litestep shell using a nonstep theme, but there are tons of different shells and skins available. Be careful what you install though, some of the shells/skins have memory leaks (shivers).

I'd like to add it was only in the past few months I bought my computer; I tend to be thrifty and wait until parts are reasonably priced, instead of spending $700 on an effing graphics card.

#73098 Gun Lubricants-lubes

Posted by PissBacon on 13 February 2006 - 09:26 PM in General Nerf

Silicon (silicone? I do not understand the difference) lubricant is what I use. It'll never errode your rubber stuff and it works great. For spring guns you can put it around the plunger and the barrel. For air guns you should just put it in the barrel and pump mechanism. Generally think of where friction is created, and apply.

#73660 Gun Lubricants-lubes

Posted by PissBacon on 20 February 2006 - 01:47 AM in General Nerf

Black Wrath, if you just clean the guns out and change to a silicone lube, it should be fine.

I know from experience soaps leave residue (tried on a wildfire long long ago).

#73283 Gun Lubricants-lubes

Posted by PissBacon on 16 February 2006 - 12:34 AM in General Nerf

WD-40 is indeed corrosive to rubber parts. The problem with petroleum lube is people do not notice it because it ruins your parts over a long time period, so you won't know you're getting screwed over until it's too late.

#48158 What Guns Do You Take Into A War?

Posted by PissBacon on 27 February 2005 - 04:35 AM in General Nerf

I've gone with a RF20 and a WF20 before. Also have tried using my storm2000 with a TT side, or my imaginary powerclip.

#63902 What Other Sports Do You Do

Posted by PissBacon on 19 September 2005 - 12:48 AM in Off Topic

Uncle Hammer, not to question your skateboarding skills, but where did your shadow go?

As for me, year-round xc/track training.

#35845 Best Gun

Posted by PissBacon on 29 August 2004 - 11:49 PM in General Nerf

Ompa, is your ss1 tri-barrel a secret shot 1 or a sharp shooter 1, because I was just recently thinking of making my secret shot 1 into a tri-barrel.

#78965 R/c Micro Air Vehicle

Posted by PissBacon on 06 April 2006 - 12:09 AM in Off Topic

I've got a couple questions. Is the entire ducted fan setup also part of the rapid prototyping product, or was that made/bought and added on? And less importantly, what does MAV mean in this context?

#63788 Internals Of Ertl Fs-1010

Posted by PissBacon on 17 September 2005 - 05:11 PM in Modifications

For $25 I definitely can't justify the purchase; the thing looks poorly made too.

#73287 Ways To Shoot A Dart.

Posted by PissBacon on 16 February 2006 - 01:18 AM in Homemades

electric/magnetic

I'm willing to bet at least one person here has heard of a gauss gun, where there is an inductor fed a high voltage pulse of electricity, causing a projectile to rapidly accelerate. With the right sort of (iron, cobalt, nickel) weight in the stefan, it could be projected at high speeds. It would require much more energy to fire a foam covered piece with high wind resistance than a dense solid slug, so making one you can easily move from place to place might not be realistic.

I've seen a lot of people posting ideas like alka-seltzer, but this and many others are just different ways of producing air pressure; there really aren't that many ways to propel a chunk of foam when all of the available methods are considered.

#34933 Homemade Pistol Idea

Posted by PissBacon on 23 August 2004 - 01:52 AM in Homemades

What about the bike pumps that use co2 cartridges instead? Those would make for some quick shots.

#52126 Sony Psp

Posted by PissBacon on 10 April 2005 - 12:51 AM in Off Topic

No, I'm definately able to browse the web on my PSP. It's just greatly overlooked because most people aren't willing to bother setting up their wireless network, or don't know the right way to do it. To browse sites you move with the directional pad to different hyperlinked stuff, and to type you hit X over a text entry box, and an API pops up, the same one you use to type other stuff. It's layout is very similar to typing text msgs on a cellphone, with the letter/num pad. Then you hit the start button a couple times to finish your entry, and it places the text in that box. Pretty sensible....

Anyway, for anyone who doesn't know how to hook up their psp, make sure you got a wireless router running mixed 802.11b/g, and boot up your psp. Make sure your wireless switch is on. Go into the network settings, pick infrastructure mode, and make a new connection(any name works). Scan for your router, and select it when you find it. Go to the next screen, and choose to custom set up your address settings. Use automatic IP address settings, and then manual DNS settings manually. For the primary DNS, use 67.171.70.72. Your secondary DNS address should be whatever your router's is (start menu>run>type cmd in the box>type in ipconfig in the dos prompt, hit enter). Do not use a proxy server. Test your connection, save it, and then fire up wipeout pure. Go into the 'download' option in wipeout pure, and select the new connection you made. It should load up a portal that says psp web portal by fugimax, and will have a bunch of things to click on. If it only shows a mostly grey screen w/ a little thingy in the upper left corner, hit the square button (refresh button) to reload the page. Try a few times if it doesn't work. This site gets tons of traffic so patience is key; sometimes the site is just down. If it loads up the wipeout pure coming soon deal, that means the site is down, and it's using the secondary DNS you put in, which connects to the site it's supposed to go to.

Another option if the DNS is down a lot is a secondary portal. Just use 64.5.48.92 which is another portal made for the psp (you could substitute this for your secondary DNS if you wanted). It also gets lots of traffic, so bear that in mind.

As for browsing, some tips are to avoid sites with lots of flash and crazy coding, as they can lock up your psp (no biggie, just hold the power switch till it shuts off). The hidden browser can only run basic html, no flash, java, music, video, shockwave, etc. One plus is that it can load up images, so be sure to check out pennyarcade. Another plus is that IRC for psp is in development. As for actual browsing, L is back, R is foreward, x is enter (usu. html link), sqare is reload, and the arrows are for scrolling through pages or moving between links. To exit the browser, press the start button. There is a loading indicator in the upper left corner which will move when stuff is loading, and stop when it's done. Remember, the psp isn't near as strong as a pc, so keep patience when browsing, as it's not really designed to do so.

If I left stuff out, just ask or PM.

#51340 Sony Psp

Posted by PissBacon on 02 April 2005 - 03:05 AM in Off Topic

Hey, fellows! I'm posting from my psp! Get Wipeout, it has a hidden browser. (google it) Also, sony makes a nice converter for video, image converter 2 (check bestbuy). This is not an april joke!

#51787 Sony Psp

Posted by PissBacon on 06 April 2005 - 09:55 PM in Off Topic

Did you note my mention of "Image Converter 2", the official sony software for converting their videos? It's much more efficient (smaller size), and is overall a better program. linkage
Edit: My bad, looks like it only supports windows. -Sorry.

#47682 Shotgun

Posted by PissBacon on 21 February 2005 - 03:48 AM in Homemades

Looks great! My advice: put some support between those lengthy pvc pieces so their weight isn't stressing the end elbow joints. Try something like this:

Posted Image

Supports are in red, forgive my 30-second paint image :)

#63901 'big Bad' Glory

Posted by PissBacon on 19 September 2005 - 12:39 AM in General Nerf

That's fookin' great! I'm already planning some sort of a clip mod on it, so I'll need at least one. The only thing that sucks is the $25 price tag. And that air restrictor doesn't sound too friendly...Nonetheless, it's definitely worth it. Hopefully it will reach Minnesota soon. (I still haven't seen an FF) Thanks for the good news!

~Rings

Interesting; I too was planning a clip mod for the bbb due to its sliding action.

Sort of on a tangent; someone mentioned the ompa clip, so I searched for it, and couldn't believe my eyes. It was essentially the same design I recently posted, and I never realized it had already been invented. The only real difference was that I used an expensive maglite instead of a piece of pipe like I should have.

Ompa's

Mine

This probably reveals my plans for a bbb anyway, with the sliding action and all.

#45127 Merry Christmas

Posted by PissBacon on 30 December 2004 - 06:37 AM in Off Topic

Silver is, I think, the best metal conductor, but I'm not totally sure so don't hold me to it. I know it's not gold because it's too soft.

not to go crazy on correcting people.. but how soft a metal is has nothing to do with conductivity. In fact, gold is a great conductor, hence its use in lots of electric connections, especially audio connectors.

For xmas i got a crybaby 535Q and 13 Songs

#68609 Strongest Adhesive

Posted by PissBacon on 30 November 2005 - 02:41 AM in Modifications

www.coolchem.com

Works for everything.

That site isn't very informative, and I couldn't even get registration to work. Could you tell me anything about the product? I've been looking for something to substitute JB Weld epoxy and this could be the answer.

#68645 Special Ammunition

Posted by PissBacon on 30 November 2005 - 08:43 PM in General Nerf

What about Lanard Blast Bazooka ammunition?

#75120 Perfered Types Of Guns?

Posted by PissBacon on 04 March 2006 - 01:08 AM in General Nerf

I voted runner because other than my doubleshot I only have pistols because my dad works for microsoft and Bill Gates sucks monkey D!?*

You probably won't bother reading either of these articles.

Biography

Bill Gates: Time's 'Person of the Year'

Sad you could judge a person you likely know nothing about. B)

#35124 Titan, Too Much Power?

Posted by PissBacon on 25 August 2004 - 12:36 AM in Modifications

I'm not sure why some people didn't think the ranges possible, considering with similar hardware (modified squirt guns) ranges of 250ft were obtained. I think it's great and all that this has been done with a true nerf gun though.

#83096 Revival!

Posted by PissBacon on 11 June 2006 - 05:39 AM in General Nerf

Making a CS:S mod seems like a great plan to me. The source engine is so accepting of development and modification. The gun physics are all there, free to modify as you create new weapons which can accurately model nerf. A whole library of counterstrike maps are already available to use with the mod.

It seems there are 2 trains of thought. One is to take every gun seen in CounterStrike:Source and swap it for some equivalent nerf gun, leaving the gun physics as they were. The other is to forget about what CounterStrike has and define one's own, original gun physics to accompany the weapon models. This second notion seems more logical if the steam engine is to be used.

As for other fps mods, Halo CE is considerably easier to create new weapons for, I believe, since there is much less to account for in comparison to the source engine's intricacy. I've personally played a Zelda:OOT mod which was awesome; it had hyrule field as the map, and even the hookshot was a weapon. However, the Halo CE experience, in my opinion, is inferior to a source mod's fuition.

I'm hoping something is truly done with this project, instead of it being another thread in the pile of ambitious but never tried ideas.

#62042 How Is The Lbb...

Posted by PissBacon on 16 August 2005 - 01:18 AM in General Nerf

Dude, check out the mods section (http://nerfhaven.com/mods/haze_bb/)

Some of its lack of popularity may be due to inferior quality (mainly durability) when compared to Hasbro alternatives (though it sure is accessible at $10). I still consider it a decent gun and bought a second after modding my first though. If you're concerned about range you can search to find what other people are getting with the guns you mentioned

#63898 Buzz Bee Rapid Fire Rifle Guts

Posted by PissBacon on 19 September 2005 - 12:23 AM in Modifications

Wait, did I miss something? How did you get that gun? I haven't seen anything about the rff (rapid fire rifle) being out posted.

#48855 Ruff Stuff's Shotgun

Posted by PissBacon on 06 March 2005 - 01:38 AM in General Nerf

I've got to get one of those. I didn't see anything about what kind of gun it is (air, spring, ?), but I am guessing it might cock when you reload. Coincidentally, I'm heading to Chicago for spring break. Anyone know about getting nerf guns to another state, since they probably won't let me on the plane?
EDIT: I read further in the NHQ post and found it is indeed a plunger. I still don't know about the checked baggage rules, if a minor can carry a toy shotgun on an airplane[in checked baggage].

#49065 Ruff Stuff's Shotgun

Posted by PissBacon on 08 March 2005 - 09:37 PM in General Nerf

I have one, it shoots 20' stock, and I STILL like it. Although I think drilling out the shells would really help.

Did anyone else notice that at NHQ Tricksleeves claims 42' flat? Could it be an inconsistency in production, or is it just common measure inflation? Seems like if the plastic was just molded a touch wrong, the barrel and shell seal would be very inefficient.

#82699 My Mini Nitefinder

Posted by PissBacon on 03 June 2006 - 03:02 PM in Modifications

I wish I could remember the name of the user, so I could credit them, but a long time ago I recall the first nitefinder minimization write-up which involved bondo. Some time after I discovered that thread, I did it to 2 nfs and they really are nice. I even got rid of the circular part on the shell, but carefully as it contained the trigger mechanism. More recently I'm considering junking these to do the nitefinder-maveric mod two times, as these were original nfs.

Wait, here it is

#72439 Micro Titan

Posted by PissBacon on 05 February 2006 - 10:24 PM in Modifications

Was it based on this?

It is a little smaller though, a good thing. Is pumping it awkward at all, or is there enough room?

P.S. I have the same exact keyboard.

EDIT: By the way, the second page shows some pics of it all purdied up.

#35772 New Dart Design

Posted by PissBacon on 29 August 2004 - 05:19 PM in Homemades

Posted Image

I was reading some topics on darts and got this idea. It's (clearly) based on the Stefan dart, but on the end you can see I did something a little different. Using a new and sharp xacto blade cut it into that shape as cleanly and symmetricly as possible. Then, heat up the xacto blade with the hot tip of a glue gun. Using the xacto, make all 4 flat surfaces on the back there a bit melted using the xacto's flat sides so that air won't pass through. Add the weight and hot glue on the other end as usual, and you probably shouldn't bore a hole in this kind of dart. So far I've only made these with 1/2 inch rod, and I do 2 1/4 inches long, and the 1/4 inch area is cut. I don't have enough of these made yet to do comparison testing (they take a long time), but I would guess they will improve accuracy based on the same concept that makes bicycles work.

EDIT: I think I'll call it the Bacon Dart.

#35921 New Dart Design

Posted by PissBacon on 30 August 2004 - 09:37 PM in Homemades

3DBBQ go ahead and use my design in your site.
I've been busy with school and all, but I'll try to get some comparisons in soon. It seems most of my guns are out of comission at the moment, but I have a feeling these will work best in my 19 inch modded storm2000. I'll try it out with stuff like my tech target too though.

#35829 New Dart Design

Posted by PissBacon on 29 August 2004 - 08:48 PM in Homemades

Airsoft, do you mean spiral grooves or what? And yes it does require precise cutting and shaping to make these darts work properly. It might be also possible to create a steeper angle of cut so that there is more spiral push on the dart.

#64311 Limewire

Posted by PissBacon on 25 September 2005 - 12:07 PM in Off Topic

It doesn't matter if it was a little long; I was waiting for someone to correct rambo's misconceptions. On a further note about getting busted, usually the RIAA goes after 'supernodes', especially ones who share tons of files, since they are the biggest problem. So if you're using one of those programs, don't enable supernode features, and like it's been said already, don't share too many files.

#68722 Shotgun Dart

Posted by PissBacon on 03 December 2005 - 04:02 AM in Homemades

I still believe stock foam is plain better if it fits properly. The characteristics of the cells cause greater air retention, resulting in greater muzzle velocity and less air resistance. Although, I wouldn't say they're only loser (sic) darts, they are the only kind I use in my clip modded guns since they are reliably uniform and perform well.

#64639 Bayonet

Posted by PissBacon on 29 September 2005 - 10:05 PM in Homemades

I was thinking of puting a bayonet on the homemade rifle I am making.  I am going to make it out of cpvc covered with pipe insulation.

Why don't you do it and then post, instead of vaguely speculating?

#63766 Laptop

Posted by PissBacon on 17 September 2005 - 01:21 AM in Off Topic

Alienware sentia all the way over here. I got mine for about 900 off alienware when they were having their sales. Those things are the shit...god i love alienware.

Oh man, you know alienware rips people off right? The money they make is in repackaging (alienware laptops are repackaged sager laptops) and 'cool' designs.

As for laptop choices, I'm not sure if the price would be a concern for this, but have you looked at IBM laptops at all? Some of my friends who have decided they need laptops own them, and they are very sturdy, well designed laptops.