Ambience 327's Content

There have been 511 items by Ambience 327 (Search limited from 23-December 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#167070 Other Projects

Posted by Ambience 327 on 07 August 2008 - 09:34 AM in Off Topic

Quite funny Bobafan. I can't believe it, but the little double-bike actually looks comfortable with your friend riding it. How hard is that thing to turn though?

#166848 Other Projects

Posted by Ambience 327 on 06 August 2008 - 03:23 PM in Off Topic

I have a few other hobbies

All very cool there BF, but um...

double bike
Posted Image

Do you actually ride that???!!! :ph34r:

#166514 How To Start A Nerf War?

Posted by Ambience 327 on 04 August 2008 - 02:24 PM in Nerf Wars

My wife and I are sponsors for the youth group at our church. We play in the church building - usually on Friday or Saturday evenings - as activities for the youth to bring their friends out to. We usually have a pretty good turnout (varying from 5-25 people at various events). The building is large enough and has varied enough layouts in the different rooms to make for some very interesting firefights.

Of course, there are certain rules about area being off-limits, and one area where running is strictly forbidden due to the large amount of glass in the windows & doors nearby.

#166500 Indiana War

Posted by Ambience 327 on 04 August 2008 - 01:48 PM in Nerf Wars

Yep - I caught that. Assuming I'm still interested in Nerfing next summer (don't see why I wouldn't be), I'd most likely be there if the date worked out for me.

#166405 Blast Mav / Double Discshot

Posted by Ambience 327 on 04 August 2008 - 09:18 AM in Modifications

Nice integrations. It's strange but when I saw that Double Crossfire I considered doing this. The ammo holders look like they would serve as a great shield. As for the Blast Mav, do the barrels still rotate to the pull of the trigger or is it manual like an AT2K.

Why has reading comprehension dissolved so much in the face of the Internet? He only mentioned the answer to your question twice in the thread so far:

My blast mav. You have to manuely turn it and it shoots a good 60 plus ft(alot of glue on this one)

I could have made the trigger rotate thing work but didnt feel like bothering with it

I really like the doubled-up Disc Shot. It is very clean, and looks like it would be quite comfortable to hold and easy to use. I love how many darts you can pack around in this thing without having to resort to custom ammo holders. If this were mine, I think I would attach some kind of cord or similar item between the two cocking handles to make cocking both guns at the same time a bit easier.

#166388 Indiana War

Posted by Ambience 327 on 04 August 2008 - 08:45 AM in Nerf Wars

I'm in Fort Wayne, but I've got family in Fishers (just north of Indy), so I might be able to make it to a war in that vicinity. Where in central Indiana are we talking? I also might be able to bring along my brother-in-law who is 16 and has started lightly modding his Nerf guns as well.

#165822 Good Nintendo 64 Games

Posted by Ambience 327 on 01 August 2008 - 12:12 PM in Off Topic

I'll chime in with my votes, may of which have already been echoed above:

Super Mario 64 - simple, fun, deep, hours of play

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - One of the best Adventure games ever created, a must-have

Star Wars: Episode 1 Racer - One of the best Star Wars games on the 64, and great fun to boot!

Star Wars: Rogue Squadron - Great fun!

Gauntlet: Legends - "Blue Archer needs food badly" - a great version of a great series.

Goldeneye: 007 - The only shooter that you'll ever need for your 64, period. Too bad you can't go above 4 players - otherwise this would still be one of the best shooters out there!

Star Wars Episode I - Racer (significantly improved with expansion pak)

Use the cheat that allows two controllers to control one Podracer, and it gets even more interesting & difficult.

#165615 Nonstandard Game Types - Ideas, Rules, Etc.

Posted by Ambience 327 on 31 July 2008 - 08:56 AM in Nerf Wars

My question about knowing who's on what team was more for the game type being described where people would be switching teams regularly. I think it might be a bit difficult for everyone to carry around multiple colored jerseys or armbands or things like that.

What would be an easy, visual way to keep track of 3+ teams, where each player might be on any given team at any given moment? You wouldn't want the switch to take very long (unless you had a mandatory "out" time where they had to sit down and couldn't be shot again until they stood back up - then they would have time to switch bands/bandanas/etc).

#165371 Nonstandard Game Types - Ideas, Rules, Etc.

Posted by Ambience 327 on 30 July 2008 - 11:05 AM in Nerf Wars

Do you have any easy visual way of knowing which team a person currently belongs to? If not, how do you know who you should be shooting at if you don't see someone get tagged?

#165367 The Dark Knight

Posted by Ambience 327 on 30 July 2008 - 11:01 AM in Off Topic

When has Vacc not been "well-spoken?"

I wasn't claiming that VACC was a knuckle-dragging, no-vocab brute who just shouted insults. I was merely saying that the tone and thought put into his writing in this thread is much different than the generally gruff, acquired-taste his tone & writing take on in most other threads - most likely brought on by his apparent passion for the subject matter. Note that I also continued a running joke between he and I - I hold no rancor against a guy who is as active in making sure his forums are clear of idiots and fools as VACC is - as it means we can go about our business with less stupid questions and repeated banter, while still enjoying a bit of fun at each others' expense when the time is right.

No harm, no foul though. I didn't take your post as an attack or anything - just stating my side of things for the benefit of those clever enough to avoid VACC's wrath, but who might have missed my subtle brand of humor in the post. It was apparently well received by its intended recipient, judging by his own response.

Don't worry VACC, I won't tell if you don't tell. :lol:

#165346 My Pepperbox Maverick, Another Steampunk Gun

Posted by Ambience 327 on 30 July 2008 - 08:11 AM in Modifications

It certainly is different, that's for sure! I've never seen a snub-nosed Maverick like this before. Something about the look just works for me - I like it.

Did you have any trouble getting a good seal on the plunger/turret area, what with changing the length of the cylinder?

#165345 Nonstandard Game Types - Ideas, Rules, Etc.

Posted by Ambience 327 on 30 July 2008 - 07:57 AM in Nerf Wars

Wow - I think this may be a first. A necro-fest that actually adds quite a bit to the conversation.

Noobs take note - THIS is when it is ok to bring old, crusty threads kicking and screaming back into the light!

To keep on topic, here's one that I've been brainstorming for a while, which can work well with any group of about 6 or more players, though more players would make it better:

TROPHY HUNTERS

This is a free-for-all. Each player starts with a token (clothespin, poker chip, etc) that is easy to carry & hand over. When a player is eliminated, they have to quickly hand over their token to the player that eliminated them, then vacate the field. (Any tokens they have already collected from others stay with them.) When time is called (or you are reduced to one player standing), each player counts the number of tokens they are carrying. Whoever has the most tokens (including their own if they have not been eliminated) is the winner.

#165175 Imperial Laspistol

Posted by Ambience 327 on 29 July 2008 - 02:08 PM in Modifications

I like it - it succeeds where you were aiming - a decent representation of an Imperial Guard laspistol. The part that really makes it work is the barrel cover (which I've always assumed was some kind of heat dispersion module or something) - which is a very distinctive feature of the laspistols & lasguns in WH40K.

I think the paintjob is great - it almost looks like something you would see actually being held by a model in some random IG army!

Now all you need is a working (foam-toothed) chainsword to go with this bad-boy, and you are ready to give your life for the Emperor of mankind in grand fashion!

#165101 The Dark Knight

Posted by Ambience 327 on 29 July 2008 - 09:30 AM in Off Topic

It takes a Batman movie to bring out the eloquent, well-spoken side in VACC rather than his normally gruff, ban-hammer wielding self. Who knew?

VACC - That was one of the best-worded defenses of the filmmaker's perogative I've ever heard. I also have to agree with pretty much everything you said in your above post about the "spirit" of Batman, or any comic book hero with a long history for that matter. Also, I think you like Batman more than anyone I've ever encountered...

...won't Ice be jealous?

#164435 Outlet Powered Vulcan

Posted by Ambience 327 on 25 July 2008 - 02:46 PM in Modifications

While I agree with you in principal - is there really much difference, given your rational for not swearing, between saying/typing heck or frick, and saying/typing the words you are using them to replace? You could just as easily say:

I don't understand, someone altered my post it originally said $niper team!!! Every time I go to write the word $niper it changes it to loser?

That way, there are no "foolish words" at all, and your "weak mind" would not in any way be making a "feeble effort" to "express itself forcefully."

#164426 The Dark Knight

Posted by Ambience 327 on 25 July 2008 - 01:54 PM in Off Topic

The black guy dying like that pissed me off too Forsaken.
That and the fact the Maggie Gyllenhaal was chosen to play Rachel.
I mean, come on! I was actually GLAD they killed her. She is just so unattractive...*shudders*
[/End Rant]
Heath Ledger did an amazing job, Christian Bale should play Batman for the rest of his natural life, I didn't like the position Lucius Fox took about the sonar thing, but still, its Morgan Freeman. And Michael Caine was Effeminate as usual. Aaron Eckhart wasn't bad, but Two-Face should have been kept in the movies.
Definitely worth waiting 3 hours at the Midnight release.

!!!!WARNING - THIS POST CONTAINS POTENTIAL SPOILERS!!!

1) What's wrong with the CEO of a major corporation knowing a thing or two about ethics? Just because most don't give a crap, doesn't mean that the guy that Bruce Wayne would hire for the job wouldn't. He believed that the system provided unethical levels of surveillance on the citizens of Gotham - a breech of their rights to privacy. You could basically see and hear anything within range of a cell phone's signal - which was basically the entirety of the city. That would include bathrooms, showers, locker rooms, bedrooms, private meeting rooms, etc.

The whole bit was a natural extension of the film's themes of corruption and corrupting influences. Fox refused to allow himself access to something that held the potential for such ethical abuses - thus providing his own moral buffer against corruption. (Though we've seen that he's easily capable of letting things "escape his notice" if they are not too far over the line - after all, he supplies Batman with all his "wonderful toys"!)

2) Can we be absolutely certain that Two-Face is out of the picture? I think not! (Though so far in the two-movie series, there have not been any unrealistic "resurrections" or moments of "the reports of my death were a bit of an exaggeration" moments.) We could see him resurface at some point, but I don't really know yet whether I would want him to or not.

3) I fully agree that Ledger, Caine and Bale all shined brightly in this film!

- - - SPOILERS END HERE - - -

- - - SPOILERS END HERE - - -

#164425 The Vulcan: Internals And Mods! New Mods Pg.9!

Posted by Ambience 327 on 25 July 2008 - 01:47 PM in Modifications

Seriously, I already addressed this. It works just fine. It lines it up, shoots air into it, and moves on. It treats it the same as every other shell.

Well, you had addressed it by saying it worked fine. I wanted particulars as to what it actually did. This information you have now provided. Thanks. :D

(It matters to me as it might make a difference in what kind pf chain-joining mods are preferred. Yours is quick and easy, but it puts a blank shot after every 25 links - that would be like leaving one slot in your RF20 or Magstrike unloaded - i.e. that shot wouldn't do anything, but it would still be part of the firing process, slowing overall ROF - not much, but still.)

#164390 The Vulcan: Internals And Mods! New Mods Pg.9!

Posted by Ambience 327 on 25 July 2008 - 10:24 AM in Modifications

Here's my question - what happens, both stock and modified - when the belt advances to one of the endcaps? Does the thing dry-fire, or is there something to prevent that?

Does it not fire when it hits the end of the chain when stock?

Does it skip firing when it hits the middle "end cap" in the chain when you use it with the modified chain?

Details, man. We need more details! It will never be enough!!! :D

#164385 The Dark Knight

Posted by Ambience 327 on 25 July 2008 - 09:49 AM in Off Topic

I also loved the Joker, and thought Heath Ledger did a fantastic job as the iconic arch-villain. Too bad he won't be reprising that role in the future!

The gruff voice didn't bother me - I just assumed what VACC said to be true - he had to hide his voice somehow. Really, his only other option would be a voice-changer like they put in various toys, but that would be even more ridiculous.

One of my favorite scenes (aside from the pencil trick) actually didn't involve Batman OR Joker. I'm not 100% sure this quote is completely accurate, but its what WikiQuote has:

"Let me see if I get this straight. You are accusing your client, who is one of the most wealthy and powerful men in the world, of being a rogue vigilante who runs around at night beating mobsters to a bloody pulp with his bare hands…and your intention is to try to blackmail this person? [pauses] Good luck."

#164130 N-strike Attachments You Would Like To See.

Posted by Ambience 327 on 24 July 2008 - 02:26 PM in General Nerf

Two words:

Can Cozy

'nuff said. :rolleyes:

#164088 Places That You Wish You Could Nerf

Posted by Ambience 327 on 24 July 2008 - 12:09 PM in General Nerf

Are we running some kind of topic exchange program with NerfHQ that I'm unaware of? Did they just get an original modification or war planning thread?

Maybe they haven't noticed that the HQ went back online yet?

#163213 +bow Led Hookup

Posted by Ambience 327 on 18 July 2008 - 01:02 PM in Homemades

It depends on your situation whether a light would be a good thing or a bad thing. If you are in a large group moving together, you're going to be seen anyway - might as well have a better chance of spotting lone-wolves hiding in the shadows.

Also, if during a game, you have been running with your light on for a bit, your eyes will be adjusted to it, wheras your opponents' eyes might not be, which can give you a bit of an advantage as far as spotting/aiming goes.

All you have to do is make sure you have a power switch on the thing so you can easily turn it on or off, and you have a versatile tool that can make you much more effective in the dark.

#162737 Who Likes The N64? Nintendo?

Posted by Ambience 327 on 14 July 2008 - 08:59 AM in Modifications

Vacuum Ball Gun. There, I said it.

Oh come on now. We all know that a Vacuum Ball Gun would really suck balls! ^_^

(Had to be said)

#162736 The Things Some People Pay For...

Posted by Ambience 327 on 14 July 2008 - 08:53 AM in General Nerf

The bidding war between 3 kids.

Auto bids brought it from the starting price.

All the kid bid was automatic.

I bet he has no idea that the bid is over 50 dollars.

Proxy bidding, or "Auto bids" as you call them, won't take your bids over a price that you specify. If the final bid was for $265 or whatever, the person doing the bidding was willing to pay that much and was aware that they might end up doing so. EBay won't place a proxy bid for more than your maximum bid, so you don't have to worry about it going over what you are willing to pay.

#162196 Nerf Zapper Write Up

Posted by Ambience 327 on 10 July 2008 - 11:03 AM in Modifications

Ha ha - my strange mind has inspired a mod.

I would only mind if you did this, and then failed to show off the awesomeness that is your own personal fusion of Nintendo and Nerf. :)

#162181 Nerf Zapper Write Up

Posted by Ambience 327 on 10 July 2008 - 08:17 AM in Modifications

Very nice. Now you just need a nice Nintendo logo to slap on the thing!

(And anyone who doesn't get this mod just isn't old enough to see how cool it is!)

Ok, for your next challenge: Integrate a SSPB into an N64 controller. :)

#162180 Sspb Mod

Posted by Ambience 327 on 10 July 2008 - 08:11 AM in Modifications

Yep, the SSPB is a pump gun - the smallest available as far as I know. They are decent right out of the package (they equal stock Mav's at least) and are capable of much more with the mods mentioned above. I have a pair that I am working on as a special project. If I can ever find the time (between my wife, daughter, son-on-the-way, work, sleep and WoW) to finish, I'll be presenting it here.

#161955 My Longshot

Posted by Ambience 327 on 08 July 2008 - 01:55 PM in Modifications

Some of us read the whole post, rather than stopping at the first bit of punctuation we find:

Yes the low cap is just for looks, and for the pure fun of being able to switch clips in and out of the gun. I have 4 low caps and 4 regular mags for my LS and I seem to like the low cap because of being able to switch the mags and the look of them in the gun is great.

He did it both for looks, and so he'd have to reload more often. Like I said, to each his own.

#161918 My Longshot

Posted by Ambience 327 on 08 July 2008 - 08:35 AM in Modifications

So wait, you like the low cap mags because you enjoy having to reload your gun more often? :o

To each his own I guess.

#161259 Breech That Takes N-strike Clips

Posted by Ambience 327 on 02 July 2008 - 02:45 PM in Homemades

Nicely done. How's the seal on the clip - do you think it is better or worse than the Longshot/Recon?

How well does the clip stay where it is? What, if anything, is holding it there? Did the clip require any modification to fit into this, or would any stock CS-6 Clip work with your breech?

#161243 Subliminal (hidden) Messaging

Posted by Ambience 327 on 02 July 2008 - 12:47 PM in Off Topic

[insert big picture and stuff here]

That is a picture. Watch the movie.

Agreed. I'm man enough to admit that The Little Mermaid is one of my favorite Disney films, and I've heard all about the supposed naughty priest. If you watch the film, you will see that he has comically over-exaggerated, knobby knees and very short legs. Disney cartoons tend to do that to some characters - making them quite characaturized. Just look at his ridiculously distended face, and gargantuan nose for proof that this guy wasn't drawn with standard human proportions in mind.

It is also quite obvious (and tough to argue) what they are when you notice that there are two (not one, but TWO) of the little knobby things sticking out in various shots.

Reproductive organs don't stick out from the middle of your leg, unless you're that alien from Star Trek that Kirk kicked in the misplaced no-no spot on the Klingon prison planet.

Just because a still image seems to show something, doesn't mean that's what is there. After all, if you look at this picture of Ice:

Posted Image

...you might wonder how a scrawny teenaged boy developed such a huge rack. But if you look at other images of the kid, you realize that it was simply poor camera placement and a bit of bad luck, not gargantuan man-boobs. (Sorry to pick on you here Ice - but that image has always creeped me out - you should definately look at your photos and imagine what dirty minds might think before uploading!)

Kirk: "I'm lucky that thing had knees."
Shapeshifter: "That was not his knee. Not everyone keeps their genitals in the same place Captain."

And a bit of an OT reply to an OT post:

Well you damn well better thank them if you like any other video games.

Interesting. I didn't realise that Nintendo Entertainment System (or even the Famicom) pre-dated PONG, the early Atari systems, the Itellivision or the many numerous other actual pioneers of console gaming. Don't get me wrong - I owned a classic NES back in the day, but they certainly didn't start anything - they just helped it gain more mainstream adoption, just like they are doing now with the Wii. (Wheeeee!!!!)

#161066 The Vulcan

Posted by Ambience 327 on 01 July 2008 - 08:56 AM in General Nerf

4. To contradict my previous statement, the kid on the extra ammo pack has the chains connected over his shoulder. HOWEVER there is a little dead space between the two chains, leading me to believe that the chains are not directly connected.

Actually, if you look closer it appears that the "dead space" you mention is actually the sling from the gun passing over the chain. However, I count less than 25 shells in the area of the chain shown on him, so it is possibel that it is only a single chain, with very little hanging over his back, just for show on the pic.

It would definately be nice if the chains would connect without needing to mod them, but we'll just have to wait and see.

#160970 Camping

Posted by Ambience 327 on 30 June 2008 - 07:41 AM in Off Topic

I don't bother with "ranger pudding", I just eat the hot cocoa straight and dry, then wash it down with some cool water and settle back with a smile on my face. :D

#160620 Megaman Nt Warrior Megabuster

Posted by Ambience 327 on 27 June 2008 - 09:53 AM in General Nerf

True, but there is a major difference between understanding the simple concepts of how something actually works, and understanding the even more basic concepts of how to use it.

For example, my grandmother (in her mid 70's) knows how to use her computer quite well - she can read email, use AIM, perform searches, etc. However, she doesn't have the first clue as to how even the most basic functions of the computer actually work (well, she understands electricity, but beyond that it is a mystery to her).

So these people can't even grasp the concept of pulling back a cocking lever and then pulling a trigger. At least your friend using the DTG was able to fire the thing! (And I'd wager your mom would be able to shoot your Crossfire, even if she doesn't understand why all of the "barrels" won't fire.)

#160604 Nifty Secret Shot Mod

Posted by Ambience 327 on 27 June 2008 - 07:49 AM in Modifications

I know, we could have VACC and OMC show up at their house and give them a pop quiz. if they pass, they get approved for membership. If they fail, Forsaken Angel shows up with all his guns and proceeds to chase them out of the country with flying foam!

#160603 Megaman Nt Warrior Megabuster

Posted by Ambience 327 on 27 June 2008 - 07:41 AM in General Nerf

I love this quote from the "Customer Reviews" section on Amazon:

This toy is ridiculous! It doesn't do anything. My boys thought you could shoot foam darts, but there is nothing to pull/push on to do that. There are no directions, and this is just a big hunk of plastic junk with a lot of screws that take you nowhere. Doesn't even make sounds.

Now, that is only one of three reviews. The other two talk about how much the kids love them, and how they love shooting the foam darts and pretending to be Mega Man. So obviously the thing works, and does have a way to shoot the foam darts. Basically, she doesn't think anyone should buy this toy just because she and her kids are too stupid to figure out how to pull back a simple cocking handle and pull a trigger!

#160600 Camping

Posted by Ambience 327 on 27 June 2008 - 07:21 AM in Off Topic

If we're not talking about backpacking and being hardcore, then you should bring a cell phone and walkie talkie. They're useful in emergencies, and they won't ruin the experience if you keep them off.

Certainly good advice.

Also, for water, bring a water filter. They work quite well, and they work even in some pretty dirty water, as long as you boil it.

As you said - that depends on what you're doing. For car camping, just bring several large jugs of clean water with you - less hassle.

I disagree about having the hatchet most of the time, because if it's...
Car camping: Bring your own firewood. It's not good to randomly cut down trees; rangers are usually against that kind of thing.

I don't ever cut down trees with a hatchet. It's often illegal - and the wood you would get would be quite green and difficult to burn until you had a good fire going anyway. But I still like to bring one with me for splitting logs.

Backpacking: Waste of space. You don't need to relax around a fire every time you go outdoors, save that for car camping. If you're talking about winter, burning stuff will not help you. You need sleeping bags and clothes. If you're talking about cooking, white gas stoves are cheap and compact.

Can't argue with any of that!

Splitting logs does not change "fuel" into "kindling". I suppose if you could cut it down enough it would work, but you should be using branches and twigs for kindling.

Here I have to disagree with you. If you split soft wood (pine, etc) down it makes fantastic kindling, which in my opinion are much easier to get burning than twigs and branches, If you then shave some of it down into various sized splinters, you can even get your tinder from the same source. I find that it is generally easier to bring along a load of small, medium and large pine logs and split them for your fire building use than to have to forage for twigs and branches. Also, in some cases gathering such "deadfall" will be just as extremely erotic as chopping down trees - they want it left there to build up mulch for the health of the forest.

Personally, I have access to a good supply of pine wood out at my parents' place. (They've had several trees on their property that took so much storm damage that they weren't worth the cost and effort of saving.) So I just go out and grab a load whenever we decide to go camping, supplemented by some hardwood (for longer-burning fuel) purchased near the campsite we frequent.

Have you heard of bear bags? Basically you put anything that smells into a sack (i think rice bags work), then tie it into a tree. This keeps raccoons and bears out. I'm being very brief, you'll have to research it if you want to use it. However, some campsites have metal shelves you can put your stuff in.

Always good to keep in mind when you are in bear country. If you are dealing with lesser critters (i.e. racoons) then I have found that simply keeping all food in your car is the best course of action. Those little things are sneaky, and have a way of getting what they want - unless it is locked up in a steel and fiberglass frame!
(of course, this doesn't work if you are backpacking or conoeing, but it is good to know!)

#160473 Camping

Posted by Ambience 327 on 26 June 2008 - 07:32 AM in Off Topic

OK. Some major problems here. As an experienced camper/white water canoer, I have some major issues with this list. Hatchets are useless, are too heavy and very easy to hurt yourself with. Bring a folding saw instead.

As an "experienced camper" * myself, I take issue with your comment on the hatchet. If you know how to use a one properly, a hatchet is quite safe and effective for splitting softer wood. You don't swing the thing full-tilt and try to cut the wood in one chop - you lightly whack the top of the log to embed the blade, then you lift the whole deal and bang the bottom of the log against a rock or large log/flat stump. If you don't try to over-power it, you won't hurt yourself - and if you make sure to keep your splitting area clear of bystanders you won't hurt anyone else. If you need to split harder woods, you'll want a good ax, a wedge and a sledghammer.

A folding saw is great for cutting long logs down to size, but it would take you twelve forevers to split wood with it, and you don't want to be trying to get a fire started with whole logs - split wood burns much quicker. Save the whole logs for one you have a roaring flame and just want something to keep it going for a while.

* I started camping with my father when I was only a few years old, and I went the Eagle Scout route through the Boy Scouts - even staying active as an adult leader for a few years after "graduating" at 18. Even now, at 30, I still try to get out for a camping trip at least once a year with the family. So I've spent a lot of time in the woods. The Boy Scouts are very big on camp safety, especially with fire and wood tools, and rightly so. They teach you all the important safety procedures before you're ever allowed to touch a knife, ax or saw at a Scout outing. Keeping that training in mind, I've split many a log with a hatchet over the years, and never so much as slipped for a scare, let alone actually caused any damage to myself or others. I also taught my wife the correct way to split wood, and she's never had any problems either. It is all about using your head and not trying to look like a big, buff macho lumberjack who can split the logs in one swing.

#159842 My Longshot

Posted by Ambience 327 on 20 June 2008 - 01:51 PM in Modifications

I am a Linguistics major in college, so I feel as though I can comment on this and maybe help clear this up for you : Language is always changing, always. This is just one of many aspects of modern English that is currently shifting. Deal with it. While there is a prescriptively "correct" form of English as written in grammar books, there is almost nobody who speaks that English in everyday usage. You yourself violated grammar rules with the sentence " 'Should of', 'would of', 'could of'." It happens. Not everybody speaks and writes the same way as you.

/tangent

There is quite a difference between a volatile language and simple spelling/grammar mistakes. When the words "cool" or "bad" came to mean "something I like or think is interesting", that is an example of language changing. When someone types "Your going to pay for that." it is simply incorrect. (It should be "You're going to pay for that." - "your" being a possessive form of "you" as in "your hat" or "your dog", while "you're" is a contraction of "you are".

So when people type "You should of seen that." when they should really type "You should have seen that." or at least "You should've seen that." it gets on my nerves and should be pointed out for education and edification - these kids might want to apply for a job some day, and if they put something like "I could of worked for NASA." in their resume, it isn't going to get them any points with the interviewer.

Back on topic - have you put any more work into the paintjob on this yet? That clean white base has me anxious to see what how nice it looks when you finish it.

#159372 My Longshot

Posted by Ambience 327 on 16 June 2008 - 04:02 PM in Modifications

It won't "break the muzzle", it is a "muzzle brake"

From www.reference.com:

Muzzle brakes and recoil compensators are devices that are fitted to the muzzle of a firearm or cannon to redirect propellant gases with the effect of countering both recoil of the gun and unwanted rising of the barrel during rapid fire. Muzzle brakes are very useful for combat and timed competition shooting, and are commonly found on rifles firing very large cartridges (often big-game rifles), as well as some artillery and tank guns. They are also commonly used on pistols for practical pistol competitions, and are usually called compensators in this context.