utahnerf's Content

There have been 256 items by utahnerf (Search limited from 12-December 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#296256 Dartsmithing Tips Archive

Posted by utahnerf on 19 March 2011 - 12:09 AM in Darts and Barrels

Ok guys, I recently ran out of my old foam, and I want a new supplier. I had been using Bestmaterials.com's "MileHigh" black foam, but I do not like the density (squishy as hell, glue would eat it.). I have also used McMaster foam, but as everyone knows, that foam is expensive. I have never tried Loghomestore foam, does anyone like it? I haven't shopped around for foam in like 2 years. Also, I'm sure they still sell colored foam somewhere in the US, even though it is against the law to keep making it. So please, feel free to divulge your foam shopping secrets, any info is helpful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ps: If anyone knows where Ryan found that pink/reddish foam that he is selling at Ohio Revolution, I would LOVE to know, so much easier to find in grass compared to my black/grey foam.

#296254 Pvat V2.0

Posted by utahnerf on 18 March 2011 - 11:22 PM in Homemades

Is it possible that you could make a video of the mechanism/firing/ranges?

#296085 Pvat V2.0

Posted by utahnerf on 15 March 2011 - 09:07 PM in Homemades

You could use a variety of methods, as long as you end up having the hole in the cap. Personally, I use my drill press, but before I had one I used an electric hand drill. You don't even need a vise, I used to have my brother hold the piece with pliers while I drilled. So yes, you can use a hand drill, just be careful so that the piece doesn't start spinning around.

#296083 Turn Any Webpage Into Katamari!

Posted by utahnerf on 15 March 2011 - 09:00 PM in Off Topic

Hella fun dude, I just did it on the "Overkill" topic and the Modifications Directory. It got HUGE.

#296008 Mod Man's Nerf Hardware

Posted by utahnerf on 14 March 2011 - 03:25 PM in General Nerf

Oh, sorry about that, forgot the link. It's up now.

#295981 Mod Man's Nerf Hardware

Posted by utahnerf on 13 March 2011 - 10:01 PM in General Nerf

I have purchased the 5/16" glitter sampler pack, of 75 sticks, from this site, and it lasted me for about 750 darts. It was good quality.

#295980 Pvat V2.0

Posted by utahnerf on 13 March 2011 - 09:55 PM in Homemades

Looks very good, especially the pin assembly. Lookin' flossy.

#295892 Longstrike Marker Barrel Replacement

Posted by utahnerf on 12 March 2011 - 04:33 PM in Modifications

You may want to use a stronger adhesive, for longevity. Such as epoxy, super glue, etc. Otherwise, amazing (and almost unreal) ranges! Also, are you Slushi?

#295891 Bs-12 Advanced Tactical Nerf Rifle

Posted by utahnerf on 12 March 2011 - 04:29 PM in Homemades

Magnificant! I so want one for my birthday lol! If there was a price list I missed it but how did you spend on parts?

Parts are one thing, but good lathes aren't cheap either. The one our robotics team uses is a nice one, but not high end by any means. It's MSRP is $1600, but G.M. donated it (Sponsors rule.).

#295825 Nerf Is Very Strange....

Posted by utahnerf on 11 March 2011 - 07:05 PM in General Nerf

If only there was a clear green crossbow...... then my life would be complete....

#295808 Nerf Is Very Strange....

Posted by utahnerf on 11 March 2011 - 03:48 PM in General Nerf

Love the green color better than the clear.

#295697 Having Some Problems With My Spectre

Posted by utahnerf on 09 March 2011 - 09:04 PM in Modifications

Gluing the slip gears would make it so the turret would only be able to turn when you pull the trigger.

#295693 Nuthead Darts

Posted by utahnerf on 09 March 2011 - 08:58 PM in Darts and Barrels

Congratulations, you have gained a Dartsmithing level.

#295687 Mobile Version

Posted by utahnerf on 09 March 2011 - 08:10 PM in Site Feedback

I have an idea, would it be possible to make a mobile version of the site? I use my phone and my iPod a lot to browse the forums, and this would make it relatively easier. I'm probably not the only one who feels that it is kind of difficult to view the site on mobile devices. Just a thought.

There's already an option to view in lo-res, perfect for mobile browsing. Making a system to handle mobile browsing on a site this large, with admins (as I understand) more interested in nerf than in HTML/Java/whatever from scratch is ridiculous.

Oh, and iPod sucks is very well made. Better than "Zune".

Fixed it for you. Also, the admins are kind enough to not put banners on the site, so any new format would be straight out of the owner's pocket.

#295638 Bs-12 Advanced Tactical Nerf Rifle

Posted by utahnerf on 09 March 2011 - 07:42 AM in Homemades

Is the FPS constant? How much does it vary from shot to shot?

#295610 Bs-12 Advanced Tactical Nerf Rifle

Posted by utahnerf on 08 March 2011 - 09:58 PM in Homemades

YES. Great work as always Boltsniper, you've outdone yourself. You really did yourself a favor by using hex screws, they are soooooooo much better then Philips.

#295567 Fomas

Posted by utahnerf on 08 March 2011 - 01:54 PM in Homemades

My favorite part of the gun is the use of the L+L body, because I feel that many homemade air guns lack a nice, solid shell. It is also nice that this body has a great reputation of being solid, and has been revised a few times, to work out issues. All in all, great gun, I would love to own one.

#295536 Vengeance 4

Posted by utahnerf on 07 March 2011 - 09:24 PM in Nerf Wars

I'm a maybe, depends on what's going on with school.

#295478 Tornado Blast

Posted by utahnerf on 06 March 2011 - 09:32 PM in Modifications

I agree, the shell looks extremely comfortable. How big is that tank? Like, what tanks would it compare to in size?

#295477 Signal Gear/big Blast Problem

Posted by utahnerf on 06 March 2011 - 09:27 PM in Modifications

Does it look like the orange (not sure what color it is on your gun) sealer part is going forward but hits the wall of the tank with the part that should be coming through the hole? I've had this problem with triggers that don't pull the tank back straight, I suggest you glue the trigger to the pin and put in a beefier trigger spring, if it doesn't work you can take it off easily too.

Edit: Misread about the pin symptoms, I'd say you should cover the front part with a big glob of silicone lube. It will make the sealing face a bit larger.

I have used lube to fix this problem in the past, with an at3k tank. I also put a dot of glue on the pin to keep the sealing thing on the pin. Lube is really all that I can see that could fix the problem. Definitely be generous with the lube.

Also, I don't think that it has anything to do with the pump's lube, since the pressure of the air will push a clog out of the way.

#295436 Dartsmithing Tips Archive

Posted by utahnerf on 06 March 2011 - 01:17 AM in Darts and Barrels

Nice heads. I imagine that the craft foam would be stronger than felt, and more waterproof. Does the hot glue melt the craft foam so that the heads bond well?

#295435 Fomas

Posted by utahnerf on 06 March 2011 - 01:10 AM in Homemades

I believe that Pvats should be allowed at wars. They are essentially a homemade BBBB/3k/4k/2k/(pin tank), tank. I do agree that it is ultimately up to the war host to decide if they will allow it. Pvats beat shitcannons.

#295401 A Significantly Improved Rfr

Posted by utahnerf on 05 March 2011 - 04:32 PM in Modifications

This makes the RFR less cool. Now it has no rapid fire. Good job on the mod though.

#295336 Spy Gear Rocket Blaster

Posted by utahnerf on 04 March 2011 - 03:40 PM in Modifications

I need one(I'm lookin' at you, Buffdaddy). SVTSGRB, anyone?

Yes please.

#295276 Pepé

Posted by utahnerf on 03 March 2011 - 09:27 AM in Homemades

What sekret forumz?!?! Also, how heavy is that thing? it looks unwieldy.

#295268 Xploderz Xblaster 200

Posted by utahnerf on 02 March 2011 - 11:07 PM in Modifications

JB Weld generally works well on everything, so it should work for the elbow. Just make sure to sand all pieces before applying the adhesive.

#295237 Hornet Tank Powered Longstrike

Posted by utahnerf on 02 March 2011 - 08:00 AM in Modifications

My favorite thing about this gun is the ability to still use clips. The first thing that caught my eye was the positioning of the pump. I can't imagine that's comfortable. Also, instead of barbed connectors you should use the quick disconnect kind. Here is what they look like, you can buy them at Lowes/Home Depot. They are sooooo much better than barbs, no glue involved, no hassle, easily reusable, no leaks, AMAZING. (Also, a bit more expensive, but reusable.)

#295205 High Volume Springer, Easy To Make And Cheap Version Of +bows And Snap

Posted by utahnerf on 01 March 2011 - 04:16 PM in Modifications

Loving that extension idea, it looks awesome. Great work!

#295122 Archangel

Posted by utahnerf on 27 February 2011 - 11:42 AM in Homemades

Is that handle Plasti-dipped? Also, sweet Ion, I have one too.

#294667 At2k Help

Posted by utahnerf on 18 February 2011 - 07:32 AM in Nerf Wars

The easiest to find solvent weld is definitely PVC pipe glue. I have found CPVC pipe glue to be only good for CPVC pipe.

#294653 Rpmbnb! Updated With More Goodies!

Posted by utahnerf on 17 February 2011 - 09:24 PM in Homemades

It's $15 a cubic inch?!??!!?? Daaaang. Cool teacher you got there. I may be interested, but I think you should try making one with Crossbow-like aesthetics and comfort.

#294651 Semi Automatic Firefly Valves

Posted by utahnerf on 17 February 2011 - 09:19 PM in Modifications

If you were ever to use a pump, use a beastly bike floor pump and a backpack with double pvc air tanks. Nerf pumps are horrible for this. You have to pump like hell. Believe me, I've tried.

#294647 Barrel Material For Stock Micros

Posted by utahnerf on 17 February 2011 - 08:55 PM in Modifications

If you see Geneva brand cpvc, buy it. That stuff is the shit. DON'T buy that flowguard stuff, it sucks.

FlowGuard Gold is a specification, not a brand. Geneva, Charlotte, and other manufacturers all make both. It's like the difference between buying red streak or blue streak copper pipe, just a slight difference in wall thickness.

Ohhhhhh ok. I also like the matte finish on the geneva pipe.

#294638 Rpmbnb! Updated With More Goodies!

Posted by utahnerf on 17 February 2011 - 06:24 PM in Homemades

What really excites me is that the possibilities are ENDLESS.

#294635 Barrel Material For Stock Micros

Posted by utahnerf on 17 February 2011 - 05:53 PM in Modifications

If you see Geneva brand cpvc, buy it. That stuff is the shit. DON'T buy that flowguard stuff, it sucks.

#294634 Rpmbnb! Updated With More Goodies!

Posted by utahnerf on 17 February 2011 - 05:44 PM in Homemades

I think that he can do it for free.

#294585 Barrel Material For Stock Micros

Posted by utahnerf on 16 February 2011 - 06:28 PM in Modifications

If you ream the inside lip of the CPVC out, they slide in easier.

If you are using CPVC with a coupler, you should at least ream out one of the ends of the barrel. I would recommend using a pipe reamer or scissors, both work well.

#294546 Why Lock Threads In Off-topic?

Posted by utahnerf on 15 February 2011 - 10:04 PM in Site Feedback

We all wonder......... But seriously, it's stupid. Aren't off topic conversations fine in the Off Topic section?

#294543 Big Bad Bow Back Half Disassembly

Posted by utahnerf on 15 February 2011 - 09:54 PM in Modifications

Make sure to wear proper hand protection when using hot blades. It burns you.

#294539 Big Bad Bow Back Half Disassembly

Posted by utahnerf on 15 February 2011 - 08:01 PM in Modifications

I have also used a razor blade. Make sure that all blades you use are sharp. Also, go nice and slow, there is no need to rush the process and end up cutting yourself.