Cannot find an answer

10 replies to this topic

#1 Buffdaddy

Buffdaddy

Do not buy from this member

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 824 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 07:40 PM

After modding my Spy Gear Rocket Blaster, I've noticed that at the pumping required for 4B-like ranges, the gun will suddenly stop working.

I pump it 6-8 times to build pressure, and fire, but afterwards the air tank does not seal. I have to spend minutes jiggling it with a pencil or other long object to finally get it to reset.

I have played around with the internals, and I do not believe it to be a matter of a faulty internal spring; pressing the pin all the way forward does not make the tank seal. Nor do I see any plastic debris of any kind when it is working. When I did all of my mods earlier, the tank was pressurized to prevent that.

The only thing I can think of is possibly when I lubed the pump after making repairs (the o-ring on it is very loose, and actually slipped out once), that somehow, the lube went all the way to the air tank and is now making some kind of clog. Sounds stupid, I know, but I'm at a loss for any decent explanation.

Any ideas?

(For all purposes, this has 4B internals)

#2 Exo

Exo

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 07:47 PM

I've noticed that at the pumping required for 4B-like ranges, the gun will suddenly stop working.

Did you try lower ranges? Does it fire at 4B ranges and THEN stop working?

I noticed that on my SSPB (totally different, I know) I have to make the first pump hard and fast, and that seals if off.

You might have de-aligned a part, or it might become de-aligned after that massive burst of air.

Edited by Exo, 06 March 2011 - 07:50 PM.

#3 BrokenSVT

BrokenSVT

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 07:49 PM

I've experienced this phenomenon with both a 4B and a Mega Missile tank, both having the same valve design. I don't want to be a Gloomy Gus, but neither was repairable. The MM tank got ditched, while the 4B tank was nothing short of a work of art and received a new "front end."

Edit: Oops, forgot my "official diagnosis." The best theory I crafted was that a small bit of debris nicked the seal for the tank in both cases. If you need some overhaul work on that beast, let me know. I've had a, uh, -bit- of experience with these tanks <_<

Edited by BrokenSVT, 06 March 2011 - 07:52 PM.

REVOLUTION Be there or be square.

#4 princexbuster

princexbuster

• Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 08:13 PM

Something I have had some success with is filling the tank with water. Aim it up and pump it untill it seals then aim it down and pull the trigger. You might just have small peices of debris in the tank that are forced to the front when you release the pressure. Signal lauchers (at least mine) are made of a goofy softer plastic that clings to small particles so it might be just a matter of flushing the tank.

Edited by princexbuster, 06 March 2011 - 08:15 PM.

Sexy Dwarves.

#5 Blue

Blue

• Members
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 08:54 PM

Does it look like the orange (not sure what color it is on your gun) sealer part is going forward but hits the wall of the tank with the part that should be coming through the hole? I've had this problem with triggers that don't pull the tank back straight, I suggest you glue the trigger to the pin and put in a beefier trigger spring, if it doesn't work you can take it off easily too.

Edit: Misread about the pin symptoms, I'd say you should cover the front part with a big glob of silicone lube. It will make the sealing face a bit larger.

Edited by Blue, 06 March 2011 - 08:57 PM.

#6 utahnerf

utahnerf

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 09:27 PM

Does it look like the orange (not sure what color it is on your gun) sealer part is going forward but hits the wall of the tank with the part that should be coming through the hole? I've had this problem with triggers that don't pull the tank back straight, I suggest you glue the trigger to the pin and put in a beefier trigger spring, if it doesn't work you can take it off easily too.

Edit: Misread about the pin symptoms, I'd say you should cover the front part with a big glob of silicone lube. It will make the sealing face a bit larger.

I have used lube to fix this problem in the past, with an at3k tank. I also put a dot of glue on the pin to keep the sealing thing on the pin. Lube is really all that I can see that could fix the problem. Definitely be generous with the lube.

Also, I don't think that it has anything to do with the pump's lube, since the pressure of the air will push a clog out of the way.

Edited by utahnerf, 06 March 2011 - 09:30 PM.

#7 Buffdaddy

Buffdaddy

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 824 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 10:21 PM

Well, I've tried a bunch of things, to no avail. Lube didn't help, and the thing will absolutely not seal properly.

ALL is not lost. Looking through my things, I have a Big Blast tank that I shoved into a J.A.M. Blaster with a spare pump however long ago. The project turned out crappy (yay for experimentation), but the tank is reusable since it was mainly hot glue on that project holding everything together. Even better: the way I had done that mod, I essentially turned part of the old pump tube into a tank expansion, with a hose entering in the side and the OPV epoxied in place in the back. And the hole lines up just about perfectly with the hose coming off the Rocket blaster's pump.

So I'll have a bit of dremeling to do (the tank is just different enough, plus the extension, that the shell might be more ugly afterward), but this thing should be back up and running in no time. Plus I can destroy the messed up tank for science, see if anything's changed, and see if I can identify the problem from the remains.

Broken, consider this a prelude to your work.

#8 burning-ice

burning-ice

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 05:43 PM

Not to steal the thread but my 3k has a problem similar (or at most the same) as to where I fire it, try to pump and it hdoesnt allow air to stay in the tank. Upon looking into front of tank, I see the conical sealing thing isnt against the wall to allow a decent seal. I have yet to lube it with silicone spray. Back on topic, do you have a picture of the problem?
I lurk alot.
If I double post blame my internet, I apologize.

#9 Buffdaddy

Buffdaddy

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 824 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 05:57 PM

Considering everything looks normal, it's hard to really get a picture that shows anything different from a regular Spy Gear/Big Blast tank. Everything's lined up just fine, the pieces are in place, but pressure does not hold.

In any case, The spare Big Blast tank has been dropped into place after a bit of shell dremeling, so I'll have an update there, and I'll post the guts of the spare tank here, once I get around to tearing it up/examining the inside.

#10 Blue

Blue

• Members
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 07:57 PM

Not to steal the thread but my 3k has a problem similar (or at most the same) as to where I fire it, try to pump and it hdoesnt allow air to stay in the tank. Upon looking into front of tank, I see the conical sealing thing isnt against the wall to allow a decent seal. I have yet to lube it with silicone spray. Back on topic, do you have a picture of the problem?

Silicone spray is bad, use the goopy tub thing of silicone.

#11 Buffdaddy

Buffdaddy

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 824 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 08:55 PM

Look in the Spy Gear Rocket Launcher thread, problem discovered. The o-rings are simply too large.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users