Crankymonky's Content

There have been 626 items by Crankymonky (Search limited from 18-January 97)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#220490 Dcno Spring 2009

Posted by Crankymonky on 29 March 2009 - 03:56 PM in Nerf Wars

First post updated. To be put on the Maybe or Definite list, post now.

#220401 Guru Mk. iii

Posted by Crankymonky on 28 March 2009 - 11:56 PM in Homemades

Absolutely gorgeous. Far cleaner than it's predecessor.

Since the photos of the guru 1 from it's debut are no longer up, let me post one to compare.

Posted Image

The original Guru's shell.
That's what I call progress.

#220088 Nite Finder Case Mod Done Right!

Posted by Crankymonky on 26 March 2009 - 10:35 PM in Modifications

Katachi, you have some gorgeous work, kudos. First time Bondo's had a real nerf application.

Hunter, I definitely wouldn't apply Bondo to only one side of the case, the weight issues would be horrific.

And permanently sealing the gun? Despite the fact that NFs are durable, they do need maintenance. Sometimes an o-ring will come off or be worn down enough that there is no seal between the plunger head and tube.

I think a nerf IRC channel is a great idea, just as I have each time in the past. I'm willing to give it another shot. Everyone should go to #nerfchat on irc.darkmyst.org

#219910 Dcno Spring 2009

Posted by Crankymonky on 26 March 2009 - 11:48 AM in Nerf Wars

I'm just going to clarify this as this seems to be a typo on Crank's part, I'm pretty sure he means the Labyrinth, seeing as the Gauntlet no longer exists (in the form in which it used to be, at least).

I'm living in the past. Typo corrected.

Just another point of clarification: This is Crank's DCNO and I'm not going to step on his feet for his planned rules, but I just thought I'd clarify that his rulings will apply to this particular one. The Summer DCNO in which I am hosting this year (planned for sometime in July, date TBA) will be adopting the Mag7 ruleset.

Thou shalt never oppress DCNO with thine fair rules! Autonomous shall we remain!

We'll work out something on the licensing fees for the name DCNO later

#219905 Wash. Dc Tune-up Wars

Posted by Crankymonky on 26 March 2009 - 11:02 AM in Nerf Wars

Below is a list of potential dates. Saturdays or Sundays?

4/18/09 4/19/09
4/25/09 4/26/09
5/2/09 5/3/09

From what I know of my school schedule, the weekends of the 18th or 2nd work best for me, but the 25th would be perfectly doable.

I've left out easter weekend for obvious reasons, and 4/2/09 and 4/3/09 because they are in a week and a half. However, that date might work best for some people.

Anyone seen any good sites to test? There is one school I remember from a while back that we haven't played at, I'll try and get pictures of it up this weekend.

#219904 Dcno Spring 2009

Posted by Crankymonky on 26 March 2009 - 10:42 AM in Nerf Wars

DCNO will be held May 30th. Memorial day traffic being the main reason it was chosen over the 23rd. Also, people may visit family and be unable to attend should the war be memorial day weekend. Please remember that approximately 80% of the country travels memorial day weekend, or did in 2006. I would expect it to be significantly lower this year.

Expect Post 1 to be updated this weekend. The location will be the Labyrinth unless a superior location is found either through scouting or the DC area tune-up war(s).

Your DCNO host,
Dean

For those concerned about rules, DCNO will not be adopting Mag7 rules and rules similar to past DCNOs will be used. The doomsayer's legality is undetermined. Assuming DCNO continues to attract more people under the age of 18, as it has the past few wars, some stronger air guns may be banned. The full "rule-set" will be posted this weekend.

If anyone has any concerns with the rules, date, location, transportation, etc. feel free to contact me.

#219733 Frostbite

Posted by Crankymonky on 24 March 2009 - 11:33 PM in Modifications

Ranges?

But definitely digging the paint job and our furry friend too!

#218951 Ways Of Wrapping A Bungee

Posted by Crankymonky on 20 March 2009 - 04:02 PM in Modifications

I've had good luck running 2 bungies from the cocking handle to the space in between the NF's light and barrel, there is a small whole there. If you understand what I'm talking about. However, you can replace the spring and ensure you have a straight plunger rod. You also don't have the risk of a bungee coming off and potentially hitting you in the eye, as happened to Uriel.

#218720 Wash. Dc Tune-up Wars

Posted by Crankymonky on 18 March 2009 - 10:48 PM in Nerf Wars

War Cancelled due to weather.

Update: Due to the weather, war has been canceled/postponed. Can anyone make it the following week?

Date: May 16, 2009
Time: 10:00 AM - 4:00 or 5:00 PM
Address: 431 Beall Avenue Rockville, MD 20850

Attendees
  • Crankymonky (+1)
  • THIRST
  • Fallinouttadabox(for part of day)
  • Doom
Old information below

Date: May 9, 2009

Attendees
Crankymonky (+1-2)
Galaxy613
Groove
CaptainSlug
ThatWasRandom
fallinouttadabox +1
Naes Draw
Doom

Anyone who is taking the metro, the war is near the Rockville Metro Station on the red line, I would be happy to pick people up from the metro before the war starts.

I'm not sure how many people would be interested in the idea, but here it goes.

I was thinking that if enough people in the Washington DC area would be up for a few wars prior to SuperNoVA and DCNO to make sure guns are working, test out sites, have a good time, etc, we could get some going.

These would obviously be small scale wars with much shorter planning time, but I'm all for the idea.

I don't recall exactly who is living in the DC metropolitan area at the time, but know there are at least enough people to get a small war going who live in an ~30 or 45 minutes radius.

#218538 Nerfing @ Schools

Posted by Crankymonky on 17 March 2009 - 09:52 PM in Nerf Wars

As Talio said, for DCNO we have never asked, but I've always gone to the school on the same day of the week, to make sure there is no major activity that takes place there. I also check the school's calendar and any local sport leagues calendars. We never had to abandon play, but we have changed the boundaries when there is a soccer game for one hour of the day.

#218274 Dcno Spring 2009

Posted by Crankymonky on 16 March 2009 - 04:07 PM in Nerf Wars

I was thinking Late May to Early June.

There aren't yet any wars in May, classes let out in late may for those in college. SuperNoVA is happening on June 20th, so driving down to DC in back to back weekends is never optimal.

What dates work for everyone?

Do we want to play at the Labyrinth again or should I scout a new location?

Posted Image

If anyone has not experienced the Labyrinth, I would be happy to find/take photos of the location.

Please note the Gauntlet (Wayside Elementary) is no longer a potential war site, construction has been finished and an extension to the building has replaced where we nerfed.

#218273 Dcno Spring 2009

Posted by Crankymonky on 16 March 2009 - 04:02 PM in Nerf Wars

Date: May 30, 2009
Rules will be covered at 9:45 with the first round starting at 10:00.

Eye protection is mandatory.

Banned Blasters:
Guns have been banned for safety reasons only. Should a blaster be upsetting the playing field, we may ask you not to use it. The doomsayer isn't banned at the moment, as I have not seen how it changes the gameplay. This list is subject to change.
  • SuperMaxx 5000
  • Titans with fewer than four barrels. If there is any mechanism to fire less than four darts at once, it will be disallowed.
  • Plugged pump air guns that were meant to fire something larger than a mega dart
Manta-rays (or anything that attempts to recreate them) can be used as shields, however the stock Manta-ray size is the largest a "shield" can be. Anything larger will count as a hit.
Homemade air guns will be tested at the war, due to the large variance in their power.

No guns that are painted black or a dark color. No camo guns. Really, be smart.

These rules are subject to change. These rules are based on the same ones we've been using for ages.

Attendees
Definite
  • Crankymonky (+1) (+2?)
  • Groove
  • NerfMonkey
  • ThatWasRandom
  • CaptainSlug
  • adama + 1
  • Ompa
  • Naes Draw
  • One Man Clan
  • Galaxy613
  • Dark Shrimp
  • Clubace
  • Ryan201821
  • Langley
  • Splitlip
  • Talio
  • Jlego
  • Pam_Isley
  • THIRST
  • Dizzyduck
  • Iyaodo Yami
Maybe
  • Magic
  • DJ Mashbot
  • Doom
  • UberKuhlMan
  • Squishy + (?)
  • fallinouttadabox + 1 (Part of the day)
  • Rambo
  • Shindig
  • Twitch
  • bpso86
  • X RUSHED X +1
Anyone who would like my phone number for directions, I will be giving it out to those who ask, as the war approaches.

#217602 Supernova

Posted by Crankymonky on 12 March 2009 - 10:29 AM in Nerf Wars

Oh you know it.

And It'll be one interstellar explosion.

#211681 Blink-182

Posted by Crankymonky on 11 February 2009 - 11:58 PM in Off Topic

Are people really going to whine about them again?

They are fun to listen to. Despite Mark Hoppus' stage demeanor being quite the opposite of what is recommended for a bassist, his shows are quite entertaining. Their last album was quite good and I hope their future stuff goes down that route.

If you want to talk about the punk thing, if air time is a determining factor, and the Ramones, Sex Pistols, and Clash created the genre, clearly being popular is not saying you aren't rebelling against society, just that people like listening to your music. Air time would relate more to "indie" - independent, since bands without air time don't get record contracts, thus they are independent.

Unless you want to be an elitist punk-music aficionado. But I'll stick to accepting all types of music, regardless of air time or fan base.

Would I say Blink is punk? No. Would they? I doubt it. None of their songs talk about any form of rebellion, they tend to stick to childish humor and songs about girls.

Would I call Green Day punk? Why not, lots of their music is a social commentary.

Can the world get over the whole "you can't be popular to be punk" thing? It's about a certain message, not about how many people hear the message. Last time I checked, it's still a protest whether there are 10 people or 10,000,000 people protesting. And isn't that the concept of punk music? So remember, God Save the Queen.

#211627 Northern Virginia War

Posted by Crankymonky on 11 February 2009 - 10:06 PM in Nerf Wars

Just put it on my calendar. As long as I don't change residences, I'll most likely be in attendance.

#204723 Dcno 09

Posted by Crankymonky on 19 January 2009 - 02:56 PM in Nerf Wars

There will be a DCNO in both the spring and the summer of 2009, this you can count on.

However, the more wars the merrier, so host your own also! (Just remember to come to DCNO)

#194972 Project Euler

Posted by Crankymonky on 09 December 2008 - 03:59 PM in Off Topic

I did 1,2, and 5 last night. I started 48. It is all set up except for one issue with floating points.

Not sure how much more time I'll be putting in to them until the semester is over. However, the next ones I'm looking at doing are: 48, 6, 4, (maybe 16 and 20), 13, 17 (seems fun), and the sudoku solving algorithm. For most of these I have a concept of how I'll write the program. I also intend to do the cryptography one soon as well as a few prime number ones.

I've been using Java as a way to re-familiarize myself with it as I may resume work on a research project where the simulation was written in Java.

I've also thought about using Perl or Python as I'm debating starting to teach myself one of those two in the new year.

Rambo and I had an interesting conversation on how to solve some of them last night.

#194920 Time To Get In The Spirit (2008)

Posted by Crankymonky on 09 December 2008 - 01:17 AM in Off Topic

What does Tab have to do with Christmas?

It's a beverage I enjoy year round, not on some specific day in the Gregorian calendar.

#194919 Project Euler

Posted by Crankymonky on 09 December 2008 - 01:14 AM in Off Topic

Or know a relevant, but obscure piece of information. But that only works for some. But when I've been reading solutions, the ones where people explain their reasoning and didn't use a computer are certainly the most interesting.

But I say give it a shot, just don't be disappointed if you're unsuccessful without a computer aid, whether it be graphical, a computer program, programming, or any other means.

But ingenuity is always cooler.

#194907 Project Euler

Posted by Crankymonky on 09 December 2008 - 12:40 AM in Off Topic

Project Euler
The Problems

Project Euler is a series of challenging mathematical/computer programming problems that will require more than just mathematical insights to solve. Although mathematics will help you arrive at elegant and efficient methods, the use of a computer and programming skills will be required to solve most problems.

The intended audience include students for whom the basic curriculum is not feeding their hunger to learn, adults whose background was not primarily mathematics but had an interest in things mathematical, and professionals who want to keep their problem solving and mathematics on the edge

You can get more information on their website. They are fun problems that can be solved in a variety of ways and don't even always need programming knowledge, some can be done with a bit of thinking (and knowing the relevant piece of information). They can be done in a variety of languages, and you can see how different people did a problem on the site after you get it right (you have to register and submit your answer).

Please do not post solutions or answers in this thread. If someone wants their code reviewed or help on something, put your code in pastebin and provide a link, so people who haven't done the problem still can get a chance to do it.

I started on these tonight and have done three of them so far.

I hope everyone enjoys.

#193479 The Exhaustive Guide To Crossbows NOW ON NH

Posted by Crankymonky on 02 December 2008 - 11:12 AM in Modifications

I think the best part of this guide is is that this truly is exhaustive and it should serve as a resource for a long time to come. It's pretty interesting how far crossbow modification has come in the (relatively) short time since the blaster was released.

The crossbow is one of the oldest nerf guns. While I can't remember the exact year, it is around 10 years old. I can check the copyright date later.

Splitlip, your link doesn't work at the moment, other than that...

Here

That link worked for me.

I like the bit about replacing the plunger. Now I have to go check what spare crossbow parts I have.

#185839 Pa War

Posted by Crankymonky on 27 October 2008 - 02:56 PM in Nerf Wars

Enjoy the war, thanks for giving me a heads up. I won' be able to make this one due to a school conflict, but maybe the next.

#181554 Dcno Reaction Thread!

Posted by Crankymonky on 04 October 2008 - 06:50 PM in Nerf Wars

HAH. Me in the second picture background (green shirt, pistol) yelling to Jlego "Take the hit! You don't want me to shoot you from here with this thing!" Incidentally Dean's way of hitting him was to throw his NF at him.

Wait, you mean hitting someone with a loaded gun doesn't count as a hit? It's like a barrel tap, only stylish. Hell, the gun probably fires when the plunger rod hits something and the dart would likely hit the player!

#180259 Dcno Reaction Thread!

Posted by Crankymonky on 28 September 2008 - 06:40 PM in Nerf Wars

Excuse me Miss, but it looks like you could use a kiss.

But I had a total blast, nice low key war. The rounds of Highlander I really liked, all rule sets.

Oh ya, and that formality stuff that I'm required to say, "Nice to see everyone."

#179559 Fall Dcno

Posted by Crankymonky on 25 September 2008 - 04:29 PM in Nerf Wars

The forecast has precipitation down to 30% from 70%.

The winds are supposed to die down.

Are you ready to rock?

#179313 Fall Dcno

Posted by Crankymonky on 24 September 2008 - 03:29 PM in Nerf Wars

DCNO isn't hosted by "the staff" as a group.

Depending on where you are, this is a 30-45 minute drive. You won't get a closer nerf war. And Captain Slug is from NoVA.

#174830 Dcno Carpool

Posted by Crankymonky on 03 September 2008 - 10:23 PM in Nerf Wars

While I don't know what time you guys are getting in to DC, if it's late, I should be able to hold at least 1 site at Swain's Lock.

Should Swain's Lock not work, should that be what we decide, there are campsites at other locks within a few miles. I'll check exactly where

#173351 Fall Dcno

Posted by Crankymonky on 29 August 2008 - 10:24 AM in Nerf Wars

Just because I'm coming doesn't mean THIRST is. Do remember we don't live together anymore. He'll be down at school in South Carolina.

#171142 Greatest Game That You Have Ever Played In Your Life

Posted by Crankymonky on 20 August 2008 - 10:43 PM in Off Topic

Finding one BEST game is rather hard, but here are a few that have captured my love.

Shinobi (NES)
Ninja Gaiden (NES)
Gun Smoke (NES)
Galaxian (NES)

The above games truly have the "sit down and play" characteristic. Sure, other games have this, like Mario Kart, or Grand Theft Auto, and plenty others, but few games have me coming back to them...again...and again...and again.

Counter-Strike also did this well, but it just isn't the same.
Final Fantasy X was also an amazing game, personally I think it has one of the best stories in a video game.

But as for a single best? The Prisoner's Dilemma.

And while it's not the best game ever, I've recently been enjoying The World Ends With You and before that Civilization: Revolution.

#170937 Nova Va Nerf War

Posted by Crankymonky on 20 August 2008 - 12:59 PM in Nerf Wars

I would love to attend a nerf war, but I would again recommend first attending at least one war, so you can figure out how it runs.

There will be a DCNO at the end of September, it would be awesome if you could come. http://nerfhaven.com...opic=12539&st=0

Also, you should post pictures of your war site to pique people's interest.

I hope to see you at DCNO and again at a war you host.

#170926 Fall Dcno

Posted by Crankymonky on 20 August 2008 - 12:19 PM in Nerf Wars

Update: I will be able to make it on Saturdays, so the selected date works for me. However, I won't have access to a car, so I will need someone to pick me up. (From my place near DC, not Pennsylvania) But...I don't think that will be a major problem.

As the war gets closer, if anyone wants to buy any of mine or THIRST's spare guns, there will be a thread for it soon. I'll be happy to drop them at the war rather than shipping them.

Update: I will be able to make it on Saturdays, so the selected date works for me. However, I won't have access to a car, so I will need someone to pick me up (from my place near DC, not Pennsylvania). But...I don't think that will be a major problem.

As the war gets closer, if anyone wants to buy any of mine or THIRST's spare guns, there will be a thread for it soon. I'll be happy to drop them at the war rather than shipping them.

#168916 Fall Dcno

Posted by Crankymonky on 13 August 2008 - 09:20 PM in Nerf Wars

Let me rephrase my post,

Is it a problem for people if a Sunday date was chosen? What Sunday might be best?

That is, if you love me.

I'd really appreciate it if we did this war on a Sunday. My attendance for Saturday is very, very low.

Talio already said Sundays aren't a problem for him, generally.

#167826 Fall Dcno

Posted by Crankymonky on 10 August 2008 - 02:23 PM in Nerf Wars

This isn't that place we played with the trailers on the hill is it? I can't really remember much about it because it was a long time ago, but I remember we ended up going to another school cause we didn't like it.

I don't believe you've ever played on this field.

No one likes Sundays? Because I love Sundays, they just work infinitely better for me.

But as for what weekend works best for me, I wouldn't know until class starts.

#164890 Chatroom

Posted by Crankymonky on 28 July 2008 - 12:31 AM in Site Feedback

The channel is useful if a someone has a quick question to answer or when there is an organized, weekly meeting time, possibly with a few discussion points.

#163800 Nj Apocalypse #7

Posted by Crankymonky on 22 July 2008 - 10:41 PM in Nerf Wars

Jordan,

I left you a message about a week ago, not sure if you got it. If you could give me a call.

Eric,

I may meet up with you. Where are you taking the bus out of?

I'm waiting on finding out the date of something before I can tell if I can make it.

#161087 Camping

Posted by Crankymonky on 01 July 2008 - 01:35 PM in Off Topic

Hmm, I'll assume you mean car camping, or similar.

As a backpacker and former employee in a camping store...

1) Map (Not a gps, silly)
2) Compass (And please, know how to use it BEFORE you go out)
3) Sunglasses / Sunscreen normally make the list, depending on where you backpack, extra weight.
4) Extra food and water(something you don't need to cook, boil, etc.)
5) Extra clothes (Make sure you have quick drying clothing, but an extra set is not a waste of space, it will rain, or you will forget to wear your gaiters)
6) Flashlight of some sort
7) First Aid kit
8) Pocket Knife
9) Fire Starter
10) Matches, water-proof, in water-tight case

And...despite not being on the "10 essentials" --But because I say drop sunglasses, this makes it 10.

A way to purify water. I always have my filter -- and carrying a little bit of iodine or chlorine is always good.

#158462 Guide To Convincing Your Parents To Let You Go To A Reigonal Nerf War

Posted by Crankymonky on 08 June 2008 - 10:49 PM in Nerf Wars

This was a pretty big issue for me a few years back.

After going to one war (the first ECNO), which my mom went to with me, I began to host wars (DCNO).* After my mother began to meet the regular players, she became more comfortable with my going to nerf wars since she knew some of the people who would be there.

Since the group of players on the East Coast are generally very friendly, it works very well as the war's organizer(s) introduce themselves to parents, help them find any stores or areas of entertainment they may want to go to.

Ask the war organizer if it would be alright for them to talk to a parent of yours and then ask your parent. (War Organizer, I hope you're courteous and have the details worked out already!)

*Now, I must say that most times large groups of people don't travel to your war until you've been to a decent number of wars, but if you make good contributions, have an awesome war site, are well organized, and have shown your face at least once, people will be much more likely to come. And make sure that there are people within a reasonable distance - People don't fly to wars that often.

#156974 Summer Dcno

Posted by Crankymonky on 25 May 2008 - 11:05 PM in Nerf Wars

Another highlight!

Well, really more a funny tale. But alas, what can I do? Not tell? Heavens no!

I definitely just ran into someone, essentially knocking us both down, or close (sorry, I forget who) when barrel tapping them, as I had to do a quick sprint over there and didn't quick get an opportunity to slow down.

Steve, priming your + Bow wasn't hard at all, firing it though...

I guess wrestling doesn't really work your finger strength.

I'd say I had a pretty good day, only got in like 3 or 4 rounds, and stayed in (while being active) until the very end for a few. I know whenever I was with people we were able to work together well.

And once again, thank you Jordan for organizing DCNO when I was unable.

#156899 Summer Dcno

Posted by Crankymonky on 25 May 2008 - 02:45 PM in Nerf Wars

Great war, I gotta run now, but I'd just like to thank Jordan and Steve for organizing and setting up, respectively, in my absence.

Wait, so who was bpso? Show yourself! Another NHQ M&A member I have met!

Phil, Alice, great grabbing dinner with you.

Great to see new faces at wars, first time I've met the UMD crowd and the steel city nerfers.

I hope everyone arrived back safely and I'd just like to thank everyone for the long trips they made, Mike's parents for taking him down here...again.

For the time that I was there, the war just went so smoothly, I can't recall any other war working so well.

Hope to see everyone again soon in Jersey.

#156635 Summer Dcno

Posted by Crankymonky on 22 May 2008 - 04:24 PM in Nerf Wars

Backup sites have been figured out. We have one backup site very close to the school, I'll be showing Jordan what it looks like soon. The other two backup sites are only like 15 minutes from the main location and we've played at both before. If I get a chance to, there is one other place I want to check, but I've never been there before and my schedule is a tad hectic. I may stop by there on Friday.

Again, these are back-up locations and most likely we will not be playing there. However, with people coming from so far away, everyone wants to ensure that nerfing does occur. The meeting place certainly has not changed and there are no scheduled events taking place at the school.

If anyone has ANY questions on transportation, be it buses, or metro, or getting to the war from DC, either IM me at crankymonky0 or PM me asking for my phone number.

If you have questions about getting to the war site in the morning, I will be able to help until around 11:00. Unfortunately THIRST and I will have to come to the war late.

See everyone on Saturday.

Anyone coming in on Friday, if you need a recommendation on what to do, happy to help, but I'm sure you can figure it out, it is Washington DC.

-Dean