28 replies to this topic

#1 A side of nerf

A side of nerf

Georgia Nerf Lives

• Members
  • 755 posts
  • State:Georgia

Posted 04 June 2008 - 04:14 PM

How to convince your parents to let you go to a nerf war.

As some of you probably know, parents can sometimes be hard to persuade to do something. This guide should help you convince your parents to let you go to a regional nerf war. I scanned the forums and couldn’t find anything that had all tips gathered into one area. So here it is, the official “How to Convince your Parents to Let you go to a Regional Nerf War.”

1. Find every bit of Information you can.
Make sure that you know everything about the nerf war before you present it to your parents. You have to be prepared to answer every question your parent can ask you. “where is it”, “what time”, “who’s going to be there”, etc… The reason you should be completely informed is because, if your parent asks you a question and you respond with “um…I don’t know”, than most likely they aren’t going to give it the time of day.

2. Make sure you give them all the information at once.
If you are going to tell your parents about the war, make sure to tell them everything. If information comes trickling in one bit at a time, they might not remember it all. I recommend making a sheet with all the information organized like,
Rules:
Additional Info:

3. Address them at a good time.
Don’t wait until your parents are going out the door. Sit down and talk with them at a time when you can thoroughly explain all the details. Make sure you talk to them when they are in a good mood. If they are really mad at you, then they probably aren’t going to let you go to a nerf war.

4. Start out small at first.
Don’t make your first nerf war Armageddon if you live all the way on the east coast. Start out with a local war, in state or one state over. The first war you go to is usually the icebreaker for parents. If it doesn’t work out and you end up in the wrong place then they probably aren’t going to let you go back.

5. Tips for convincing them.
  • Explain to them why you want to go to the war.
  • Explain why you should go to the war.
  • Make sure you kiss up to them. :P
If anyone wants to add tips to this, please post them, I will edit them into "member's tips"

Member's Tips
-----------------------------------------------
Carbon
Demonstrate that Nerf is a positive influence.
If a child asked me to go to a Nerf event, but was always blowing off responsibilities to Nerf, or leaving modding equipment laying all over the place, I'd be less likely to say yes. It works the other way around, too. If a parent views Nerf as a positive, they'll be more likely to let you get further involved with regional gatherings.
Lynx
Offer to pay for gas especially when it is rising.
Ubermensch
Offer to let them play. Parents will find nerf fun!
Axelion_burnout
Try to get someone to drive with you, and start out small and then go big. Now they basically let me drive out a few hours away, they just need to gain your trust before you do that.
deaddupster
Show a parent some war videos. This may help show that not all 20-30 year old Nerfers are pedophiles. Show them videos of extended war footage (Hell Before Halloween where it shows the vast majority of the round instead of three second clips with music in the background)
keef
Trust me, after the first one, if you say "Everyone was so nice, and it was so fun!" (or anything like that) they will feel more secure with letting you go.

Also, don't do puppy dog, just ask once every couple days in a sweet voice like "Welll, Mom. This, uh, Nerf war coming up..."
Dayko
Start out small. Do a couple of Nerf Wars locally. After that then start asking about some of the major wars. If I asked my parents last year if I could go to Gedden they would say no, now I will most likely be attending next years Gedden( not making promises but I'm pretty sure I'll be there).
Also get the parents involved. The more involved they are the better the chances of going/hosting a war.
Splitlip
If they ask exactly what it is, I just say paintball. They know what that is and how it works in general. I know a lot of you don't like this comparison, but it is similar, just less expensive and more creative.
crankymonky
Since the group of players on the East Coast are generally very friendly, it works very well as the war's organizer(s) introduce themselves to parents, help them find any stores or areas of entertainment they may want to go to.
NerfCrazy
have friends go with (they will feel safer if you have people go with you and not on your own). Go to small ones with friends
sasquatch
point out the guns were originally designed for little kids.
foo fighter
Show your parents your guns that you'll be using so that they know you won't kill\hurt anyone.
Carbon/ Longshot wielder
When talking to parents, mention the emphasis on safety in nerfing. Eye protection is mandatory at organized wars for just that reason.

Feel free to comment.
-A side of nerf

Edited by A side of nerf, 14 June 2008 - 05:41 PM.

Southeast Nerf Contingent

#2 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,893 posts
  • State:Wisconsin

Posted 04 June 2008 - 04:32 PM

That's a good list. I'd add this thought to it, though, although it's somewhat vague, and is more of a day-to-day guideline:

Demonstrate that Nerf is a positive influence.

In other words, if a child asked me to go to a Nerf event, but was always blowing off responsibilities to Nerf, or leaving modding equipment laying all over the place, I'd be less likely to say yes. It works the other way around, too. If a parent views Nerf as a positive, they'll be more likely to let you get further involved with regional gatherings.
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#3 Lynx

Lynx

• Members
  • 983 posts
  • State:Ohio

Posted 04 June 2008 - 04:32 PM

Offer to pay for gas especially prices are rising.

Eat the cost and my darts!

Edited by Lynx, 05 June 2008 - 12:17 AM.

Columbus' original crazy asshole now comes with:

AWESOME NITEFINDER

#4 A side of nerf

A side of nerf

Georgia Nerf Lives

• Members
  • 755 posts
  • State:Georgia

Posted 04 June 2008 - 04:44 PM

Alright, I edited in your posts. From now on, if you post a tip, I will edit it in.
-A side of nerf
Southeast Nerf Contingent

#5 Ubermensch

Ubermensch

• Members
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 04:56 PM

Offer to let them play. Parents will find nerf fun!

It's stickay time!
"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."-Carl Sagan
Nerf Rocket Air Launcher

#6 Axelion burnout

Axelion burnout

• Members
  • 292 posts
  • State:California

Posted 04 June 2008 - 05:10 PM

My parents, particularly my mom, had a problem with the driving. So I had to start out having wars of my own with my friends, then eventually me and my friend told them that we were driving out to a "big" one. It was only half an hour away, but they were still worried, so we showed them the routes we were taking, and where we would be playing.

My parents felt better that I was going with a friend instead of by myself, so try to get someone to drive with you, and start out small and then go big. Now they basically let me drive out a few hours away, they just need to gain your trust before you do that.

Edited by Axelion_burnout, 04 June 2008 - 05:11 PM.

\,,/(^_^)\,,/

#7 deaddumpster

deaddumpster

• Members
  • 326 posts
  • State:Ontario

Posted 04 June 2008 - 09:39 PM

Show a parent some war videos. This may help show that not all 20-30 year old Nerfers are pedophiles. Show them videos of extended war footage (Hell Before Halloween where it shows the vast majority of the round instead of three second clips with music in the background) and, as previously mentioned, bring them along to even meet fellow Nerfers.

As long as they know we're responsible and just out to have a good time they should be fine with it.

Edited by deaddumpster, 04 June 2008 - 09:39 PM.

QUOTE(VACC @ Jan 15 2009, 01:55 PM) View Post

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. A good nerf gun is like a good woman. It shouldn't require extra lubrication.

#8 keef

keef

• Members
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 09:41 PM

Trust me, after the first one, if you say "Everyone was so nice, and it was so fun!" (or anything like that) they will feel more secure with letting you go.

Also, don't do puppy dog, just ask once every couple days in a sweet voice like "Welll, Mom. This, uh, Nerf war coming up..."
Timothy M-Lick <3

#9 Dayko

Dayko

• Members
  • 1,037 posts
  • State:Washington

Posted 04 June 2008 - 10:32 PM

Thats a good list. I agree: Start out small. Do a couple of Nerf Wars locally. After that then start asking about some of the major wars. If I asked my parents last year if I could go to Gedden they would say no, now I will most likely be attending next years Gedden( not making promises but I'm pretty sure I'll be there).
Also get the parents involved. The more involved they are the better the chances of going/hosting a war.

< One foot in death...The other in life. >

#10 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts
  • State:New Jersey

Posted 04 June 2008 - 11:02 PM

Not that my parents care (and I'm surprised a lot of yours' do, since I thought this was more of a college age thing), but if they ask exactly what it is, I just say paintball. They know what that is and how it works in general. I know a lot of you don't like this comparison, but it is similar, just less expensive and more creative.
Teehee.

#11 Crankymonky

Crankymonky

It's The Dean!

• Members
  • 687 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 10:49 PM

This was a pretty big issue for me a few years back.

After going to one war (the first ECNO), which my mom went to with me, I began to host wars (DCNO).* After my mother began to meet the regular players, she became more comfortable with my going to nerf wars since she knew some of the people who would be there.

Since the group of players on the East Coast are generally very friendly, it works very well as the war's organizer(s) introduce themselves to parents, help them find any stores or areas of entertainment they may want to go to.

Ask the war organizer if it would be alright for them to talk to a parent of yours and then ask your parent. (War Organizer, I hope you're courteous and have the details worked out already!)

*Now, I must say that most times large groups of people don't travel to your war until you've been to a decent number of wars, but if you make good contributions, have an awesome war site, are well organized, and have shown your face at least once, people will be much more likely to come. And make sure that there are people within a reasonable distance - People don't fly to wars that often.
Tyranny Response Team

#12 NerfCrazy

NerfCrazy

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 11:02 PM

My dad actually likes to nerf at wars. But seriously have your parents meet people at nerf wars, have friends go with (they will feel safer if you have people go with you and not on your own). Go to small ones with friends. Pretty much everything people have already said.

Edited by NerfCrazy, 11 June 2008 - 02:17 PM.

#13 sasquatch

sasquatch

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 03:27 AM

...If they ask exactly what it is, I just say paintball. They know what that is and how it works in general. I know a lot of you don't like this comparison, but it is similar, just less expensive and more creative.

I would have to disagree with telling them this straight off. Because there's a lot of bad rep when it comes to paintballing. I'm sure most parent know what nerf guns are. Tell them it's a bunch of people getting together with those to run around and shoot each other. The guns are designed for little kids, so they can't be all that dangerous. For the parents that might be worried about their kids getting hurt, paintballing might be a bad comparison. If you can, show them a gun and shoot it some for them, so they can see you aren't gonna get hurt (at least not from the guns. My stiches from 2 wars ago shows you can get hurt, but that was my own fault).

But to sum that up for the 1st post, point out the guns were originally designed for little kids.

And I agree wholeheartedly with Carbon. At least from my experience with most of the nerfers, they're all intelligent people (I do say most, but not all), creative, polite, and aren't gonna go out and do something sincerely stupid (though we will go do stupid things like making fools of oursleves in Winne the Pooh suits and stuff).
I'm big and hairy, that's how you'll remember if you see me. My name's Sasquatch for a reason

#14 Shrub

Shrub

• Banned
  • 862 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 09:10 AM

Before this thread and already knew this ideas my mom thought you were gay diddler or something.
Favorite Quotes:
Sorry to hear that man, it's like that one famous bumper sticker, "Shit Happens"
it still seems that your balls drop very rapidly

#15 Galaxy613

Galaxy613

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 10:07 AM

This is totally not a problem for me. My parents have already let me go to airsoft games and they know that this is even safer.

I've been on a plane trip up to Pittsburg to goto a birthday party of someone I never even met in real life before, by myself, with my parents full knowlage. Yeah so when I say I have my parent's trust... I'm not kidding.

Edited by Galaxy613, 09 June 2008 - 10:12 AM.

[Former Caretaker of the Guru Mk2]

#16 Philote

Philote

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 01:24 PM

Before this thread and already knew this ideas my mom thought you were gay diddler or something.

Good, now say it in English. My parents have one policy when it comes to anything I do: Its OK as long as no one gets seriously injured. However I am not allowed to drive anywhere out of state yet. Yet.
EPH!
What do I wnat for my birthday? The usual, money, a Xbox Game, and a throng of bearded men. You know, the usual stuff.

#17 SirTofu

SirTofu

• Members
  • 424 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 11:46 PM

I'm sorry to troll, but I don't see the point of this guide. Convincing parents of anything is essentially the same, and if not, with time it will come. We are nerfers, not life mentors.
Nobody online Nerfs in the SE :(

#18 sasquatch

sasquatch

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 02:02 PM

I'm sorry to troll, but I don't see the point of this guide. Convincing parents of anything is essentially the same, and if not, with time it will come. We are nerfers, not life mentors.

Some people have a hard time of it. Especially the ones who are younger, like Jr High, in which case I can totally understand why parents would not want their kids to come. Some people need some pointers on what to tell those parents so they're more comfortable with it.
I'm big and hairy, that's how you'll remember if you see me. My name's Sasquatch for a reason

#19 Bomberman

Bomberman

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 02:44 PM

Some people have a hard time of it. Especially the ones who are younger, like Jr High, in which case I can totally understand why parents would not want their kids to come. Some people need some pointers on what to tell those parents so they're more comfortable with it.

Yeah. It sucks to be Jr. High. I can only go to my friends wars at his farm. They're fun though.

w00t!!!!! 400th POST!!!! :cry:
QUOTE(silentsnipe) View Post

It's not like that. I put lube on it and its the same. Its just stuck. And when I cock it back it goes farther back then usual. Also I push as hard as I can and it wont go back in. I've tried the methods and they wont work. Also pics are up.

#20 Shrub

Shrub

• Banned
  • 862 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 06:30 PM

I'm not joking she still does she still does. I'm trying to figure out why she thinks I'm not I mean out of 13000+ members I'm the only one that's not a diddler. No offense from me but ffrom my mom you don't wanna know what my dad says.

Edited by Longshot Wielder, 12 June 2008 - 10:21 AM.

Favorite Quotes:
Sorry to hear that man, it's like that one famous bumper sticker, "Shit Happens"

#21 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts
  • State:New York

Posted 11 June 2008 - 11:53 AM

I'm not joking she still does she still does but I'm trying to figure out why she thinks I'm not I mean out of 13000+ members I'm the only one that's not a diddler no offenseform me but ffrom my mom you don't wanna know what my dad says.

How the fuck did you make it 90 posts deep into your membership here? Punctuate your sentences before I have a baneurism.

#22 Omega

Omega

• Members
  • 287 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 02:14 PM

Yeah, LS Wielder, kindly either type coherently or get the fuck out. Considering that you don't do anything except annoy people, just get the fuck out, please.

On topic, this guide should be very useful for a lot of people. Perhaps a sticky is in order?

Edited by Omega, 11 June 2008 - 02:17 PM.

QUOTE(Vishamon)
My rule is that those wearing a thong are considered to be invisible to other players.

#23 ultra920

ultra920

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 04:49 PM

If it fails, and theres no way your going, just shut the fuck up. Don't whine about how strict your parents are. They want to protect you, and any good parent will be uncomfortable. Wait a while till your older, or you move out.

Unless they have some kind of drug problem. But then you shouldn't be worried about whether or not you can play with toy guys.
There is no Ultra, only a 920.

PSN: ultra920 MGO:ultra920 shoot me an MGO invite if you play

#24 foo fighter

foo fighter

• Banned
  • 41 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 10:07 AM

out of 13000+ members I'm the only one that's not a diddler

How the hell am I a diddler....?

On-topic: Show your parents your guns that you'll be using so that they know you won't kill\hurt anyone. I'm trying to convince mine to let me go to a war lately also. Good luck guys!
Gone 8th, 9th, and 10th. Any PMs about DT3 Arrow Shooter Spring I recieve while away will be dealt with when I get back.

#25 Shrub

Shrub

• Banned
  • 862 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 10:18 AM

Actually they are worried about how stefans are wieghted (my dad thinks they will poke someone's eye out) and Omega what are you talking about :lol: I am most confused. Oh and I don't believe any of you are diddler just my parents do. I'm very sorry but usually I post when I'm tired and I can't think straight.

Edited by Longshot Wielder, 12 June 2008 - 10:22 AM.

Favorite Quotes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users