Cmdrmack's Content

There have been 501 items by Cmdrmack (Search limited from 20-January 97)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#310979 How to get idiots to play Nerf?

Posted by Cmdrmack on 09 February 2012 - 11:58 PM in General Nerf

I am of the opinion that the purpose of nerf is to have fun, not to prove how manly one is. Proving one's manliness can be fun, but if that's your goal, may I point you to another hobby that may accomplish that goal for you more efficiently.

I looked at the title of this thread and immediately thought, "Why would you want idiots to nerf with you?" They are, by your own admission, idiots. In my experience, idiots and fun are inversely proportional to one another. The more idiots involved, the less fun had.

Find people who are more interested in having fun, skip the idiots altogether.

#310750 Nerf Wargames for Kids

Posted by Cmdrmack on 05 February 2012 - 05:20 PM in General Nerf

I'm pleased to see folks in this community using kids toys to play with kids. It's nice to see references to youth groups on these forums.

I'd keep a few things in mind as you're organizing things:

1) The more complicated the rules, the more things can go wrong.
2) If people are sitting out, they're not having fun.
3) Stay flexible, change the rules to balance the game if you need to.

I'd recommend games that have infinite respawns by tagging a certain spot, or games like Humans vs Zombies, where you don't lose, you just change teams. Kids are almost certainly going to shoot one another with the blasters, so it's better to control that in some way rather than fight against it.

If you're having people mark their darts, I'd recommend that you put the mark as close to the front of the dart as you can, otherwise it'll rub off from constant use.

#293193 Nerf War In Nc

Posted by Cmdrmack on 21 January 2011 - 03:24 PM in Nerf Wars

Realy? Five posts in a row? That's got to be a record.

At any rate, it seems like there's not enough NIC presence in North Carolina right now to merit a war, I'd recommend you do this old school and get your friends in on it, then try again later. Summer is traditionally the nerfing season.

#292409 Nerf Dart Tag Quick 16

Posted by Cmdrmack on 07 January 2011 - 11:53 PM in General Nerf

Does the location of the magazine interfere at all with priming the blaster? It looks to me like a right-handed user might have trouble with it bumping into his or her forearm.

#274238 A Gift For The Milsim Lovers!

Posted by Cmdrmack on 07 May 2010 - 11:36 AM in Off Topic

Turns out nerf is already moving away from the reverse plunger, and into the syringe. You can read more about their new line that continues their emphasis on realism in this article!

The Onion makes me happy. It is, as they claim, America's finest news source.

#270625 Wincno

Posted by Cmdrmack on 28 March 2010 - 08:54 PM in Nerf Wars

I haven't been to a proper war in forever. Mark me down as a maybe. We'll see how scheduling develops.

#270584 Spring Seno Tune-up War

Posted by Cmdrmack on 28 March 2010 - 03:49 PM in Nerf Wars

I'm a no-go for both dates. I have church commitments on Sundays. You guys have fun though!

#268292 The Coolest Thing...

Posted by Cmdrmack on 06 March 2010 - 10:34 PM in General Nerf

As Vacc said, if he can't follow the rules, it's kind of irrelevant.

I am eternally wary of "official" nerf news unless it comes straight from Hasbro by way of a press release or from someone who has demonstrated a relationship in the past, such as OMC, Talio, etc.

Nerf has tried variant screws in the past, as well as just gluing their blaster shells together. I think they recognize that if they can make it, we can unmake it and change it. Therefore I predict that they will stay with the cheaper phillips head screws we have been seeing of late.

#267767 Hitler Finds Out About The Nerf Longstrike And Deploy

Posted by Cmdrmack on 03 March 2010 - 01:30 AM in Off Topic

Outstanding. What movie is this from?

#245152 Season Of Foam - Augusta

Posted by Cmdrmack on 02 August 2009 - 11:35 AM in Nerf Wars

I'm not going to be able to make it I'm afraid, but you guys have fun tomorrow!

#244438 N-203 Grenade Launcher

Posted by Cmdrmack on 28 July 2009 - 10:07 PM in Modifications

Very Nice. A shotgun attachment will be much more useful than this "grenade" attachment, unless you can get it to fire those new Lanard contraptions.

I'm a fan. Now we just have to wait for someone to take this concept and make it prettier.

I assume the Maverick trigger fires the titan?

#242944 Season Of Foam - Augusta

Posted by Cmdrmack on 21 July 2009 - 01:21 AM in Nerf Wars

I'm with Rork on this one, cops can really ruin a nerfers day.

Also, don't think my brother will be joining me, he's kind of gotten out of nerf recently. So it goes, I'll let him know he'll be missed though.

#242669 Season Of Foam - Augusta

Posted by Cmdrmack on 19 July 2009 - 12:12 PM in Nerf Wars

I am a maybe. Last year's SENO was great fun, in spite of the heat, hopefully this year I'll perform better.

And yeas, I will be kilted if I come.

#238115 Carolinerf/nerf Carolina

Posted by Cmdrmack on 22 June 2009 - 11:24 PM in Nerf Wars

I'm less than three hours away, so put me down as a maybe until there are some concrete facts about this war.

#229459 Human Vs. Zombie Help

Posted by Cmdrmack on 10 May 2009 - 07:32 PM in Nerf Wars

Bigger Salvo against a charging horde. Stuns several at a time. Long reload time though, so be aware of that issue.

If you're looking for something else, I would also recommend the BBB.

As far as close range stuff goes, I'd say the DTB. Easy to reload and prime, ideal ROF, large ammo capacity and reasonably accurate.

Mobility is the key to your survival. Take a small group of five or six people and stay on the move. If your group gets too large it'll attract the attention of the horde. Moreover, it will reduce the mobility of your group if it gets too large.

#227206 Armageddon X

Posted by Cmdrmack on 30 April 2009 - 08:56 AM in Nerf Wars

Wait, are we still talking about a game wherein grown men (and women) run around with children's toys yelling and screaming at one another?

I think the moment one picks up a nerf blaster and gives that maniacal "This is so dorky but is still going to kick so much ass" laugh one's ego should give up and leave.

Nerf is for fun. Can't we all just get along and play with our toys?

#226775 Last Stand [new Game Type]

Posted by Cmdrmack on 28 April 2009 - 12:32 AM in Nerf Wars

In my experience assault rounds are actually pretty fun, although you have to be careful when balancing the teams. I was expecting something a little more LARPy with a name like "Last Stand" though. Like maybe the zombies have to tear down the fort before attacking the defenders directly.

Hmm...Sounds like a good mission for HvZ.

#221529 Nerf Popular Mechanics Article

Posted by Cmdrmack on 04 April 2009 - 09:28 AM in General Nerf

Interesting, although probably justifiable, choices for their top ten list. I would agree that the Longshot should be on there, as it was the first blaster to have a box magazine that did not first require one to load shells. I would also have liked to see one of the Sharpshooters make the list.

Also, wasn't the blast-a-ball the first nerf blaster? Maybe I have my history wrong.

#217811 The Most Painful Gun

Posted by Cmdrmack on 13 March 2009 - 12:30 AM in General Nerf

Nazis.

There, I just fulfilled Godwin's law, this thread is now over.

#217609 Ertl Rfs

Posted by Cmdrmack on 12 March 2009 - 10:51 AM in Off Topic

I love mine, it's got the same ammo capacity as a longshot, gets comparable ranges, and doesn't require a pump mod.

I used to have PETG barrels in mine, but the power was a little excessive, so I changed over to crayolas. I highly recommend them. The Doomsayer is banned at Mag7 wars, but not every RFS becomes a Doomsayer.

#216268 New Raider CS-35 Speculation Thread

Posted by Cmdrmack on 04 March 2009 - 02:02 PM in General Nerf

A lot of it depends on which takes up more space, one of these drums or six standard magazines.

#212597 This Was A Triumph.

Posted by Cmdrmack on 15 February 2009 - 09:31 PM in Nerf Wars

My Clan does stock darts only for all indoor action. The softer tip also helps prevint from breaking things. We had an incident a couple years ago where a chandelier was hit by a stray stefan and broke one of the lights.

We are doing the same for our Humans Vs Zombies game in March. It changes gameplay a little bit, but in those two settings the extra range and accuracy are unneeded.

#212487 New Raider CS-35 Speculation Thread

Posted by Cmdrmack on 15 February 2009 - 05:00 PM in General Nerf

I like it. This is the perfect blaster for really aggressive players who like to get up in an opponents face. I'm guessing it'll be used like the Chainblazer was in the days of old.

#211705 N-strike Raider Rapid Fire Cs-35 Press Release

Posted by Cmdrmack on 12 February 2009 - 01:28 AM in General Nerf

The Firefly, Longshot, Recon, and Vulcan were all subject to a lot of speculation, and built up a lot of hype as a result. Most of them were seen as a let-down upon their initial release, but often because they didn't fill the roles people had imagined for them.

The Firefly is essentially a giant maverick, and should be used as such. Close range, middle ROF. Don't use like you'd use an AT3K. The Longshot is by no means the high powered rifle for which we had hoped, but it works well as a mid-range assoult blaster. The Recon is not useful as a primary at any kind of range. However, it does work well in the kind of environment that the Firefly does.

The Vulcan is an automatic. Those have never had much range. It does have a high ammo capacity and a high enough ROF. It's not .50 Caliber machine gun that our expectations swelled it up to be.

This blaster will have a high ammo capacity and a high ROF. The arrowstorm and chainblazer comparisons are probably what to expect. The range won't be great, but it'll work well for people who like to rush, and will probably be a great fit in HvZ settings.

I'm expecting no greater than 60ish feet out of this blaster. I'm expecting it to jam every now and again, especially when the drum magazine is loaded into a Longshot or a Recon. It will almost certainly be inaccurate. But it, just as all the aforementioned blasters, will find a niche in our little community. Remember we hated pretty hard on the Maverick, but the HvZ crowd finds it to be one of the most useful blasters available.

#209891 Spring Seno

Posted by Cmdrmack on 06 February 2009 - 09:08 AM in Nerf Wars

The third weekend in March my clan is doing Humans vs Zombies, so I'm out that weekend, the following Saturday is the Carolina Cup so I'm out that day. Sunday March 29th is a slight possibility for me.

#207922 Persuasive War Nerf

Posted by Cmdrmack on 30 January 2009 - 05:47 PM in General Nerf

That's terrible advice. Talk to your mother about what nerf is all about, explain that it's a very safe sport, and get permission so that you won't be forbidden from attending future wars.

Armageddon is one of those things that will give you chances to come back.

#207531 The End Of The Cold War

Posted by Cmdrmack on 29 January 2009 - 01:24 AM in General Nerf

Chucktown is a really cool city. I hope you can find the time to enjoy it during your studies.

#207179 Pioneering Speed Loaders

Posted by Cmdrmack on 28 January 2009 - 11:19 AM in Modifications

I just hate having this huge thing hanging down. It's far from complicated. In, out, in, out.

(edited for content)

Now that's a high quality post.

#204958 South East Tune-up War

Posted by Cmdrmack on 20 January 2009 - 03:19 PM in Nerf Wars

We'd love to have you, we're working on setting up a game of humans vs zombies right now, so PCNO might be a ways off.

#204941 South East Tune-up War

Posted by Cmdrmack on 20 January 2009 - 09:33 AM in Nerf Wars

Nerf>Golf.

#204224 South East Tune-up War

Posted by Cmdrmack on 17 January 2009 - 07:27 PM in Nerf Wars

Put me down as a maybe.

#203212 Rear Loading Maverick

Posted by Cmdrmack on 13 January 2009 - 11:11 PM in Modifications

I was unaware that such a thing had been done.

Rear loading had been done before the Doomsayer, but I had not seen it done on a turreted blaster in that fashion beforehand.

My main point was that blasters like the Maverick don't need rear loading, only something with a much longer barrel would benefit from such a feature.

#203206 Recon Attack

Posted by Cmdrmack on 13 January 2009 - 11:02 PM in General Nerf

I've got this one guys.

There's no such thing as Nerf Snlping (sic). Period. Those who try to fill that role end up taking the fun out of the game for themselves and others around them. Which is why there is a built in filter that turns it into "loser."

No nerf blaster has the range or accuracy to be considered that kind of blaster. Those that might come close are generally banned due to safety reasons.

Nerf is a close range sport.

#203188 Rear Loading Maverick

Posted by Cmdrmack on 13 January 2009 - 10:31 PM in Modifications

Rear-loading was, I believe, the great gift of the Doomsayer. However, it will not work on all blasters, and it's good to have measured results of that.

Other than the badass factor of having a rearloading blaster, one really doesn't need a rear loading maverick. Rear loading only shows it's benefits when used with long barrels, as it eliminates the need for a ramrod. The DTB probably wouldn't work too well either, an Arrowstorm on the other hand might produce appreciable results.

#202287 Magnificent 7

Posted by Cmdrmack on 10 January 2009 - 03:33 AM in General Nerf

I took about 20 minutes today and changed my doomsayer barrels from PETG to crayolas. It was cheap, easy, and completely reversible. I get to keep the ROF and accuracy I like from that platform, lose some of the excessive range that makes it ban-worthy, and actually have more choices of ammunition as crayolas work well with any kind of micros, not just stefans with a perfect fit.

Quit bitching about banned guns and find a way to have fun within the rules.

Having fun is what this hobby is about last I checked.

#201822 Magnificent 7

Posted by Cmdrmack on 08 January 2009 - 08:23 AM in General Nerf

Crossbows shouldn't be banned because a well modded PAS can out-perform a crossbow. Plus, what would Groove use?

What would any members of the Magnificent 7 use?

I find this announcement a bit unsettling. You've gathered pretty much every east coast war host and removed all diversity, except the venue from their wars. If someone doesn't agree with the rules, you're going to tell them to not attend your war. Where can they go if all the wars in their area have all the same rules?

Furthermore the fact that you ban guns that best demonstrate the innovative creations of our members. Most of us spend more time in the workshop than on the field, but if creations that we pour hours of our time into are banned, why bother?

It's late and maybe I'm a rambling lunatic, but it seems like latest changes are not the best for the sport.

It is entirely possible for one to create a war on ones own if one disagrees with the rules put forth by the war organizer. I for one like the attempt to standardize some of the rules we use at wars, and will be copying parts of this rule set.

I agree that the Doomsayer is too powerful to be used in a standard war. It's combination of range, ROF, and easy reloading make for an unbalanced game. I use one, and dominate at my clan wars with it. It takes a concentrated effort to eliminate someone with one of these. I guess the answer would be to use that blaster frame, which I love, to create a slightly weaker version.

The thing I love about the Doomsayer is the combination of ROF and accuracy. So I can live with a reduction in range. Mine currently houses a Longshot and a BBB spring and lacks the difficult seal improvements of Angel's mod. I was thinking of tuning it down a bit after leaving some pretty nasty welts on my friends.

#201420 Flno's(florida Nerfer Organization) Annual War

Posted by Cmdrmack on 06 January 2009 - 02:10 AM in Nerf Wars

Easy there friend, your frequent posting and your post quality are not going to make you a lot of friends here. Near the top left corner of your screen is a link to the code of conduct. I suggest that you peruse it. Our fearless leaders here are rather insistent on following it and i'd like to see you have a nice long stay here at the Haven.

Following the CoC just makes life here more pleasant for all of us, and doesn't give room for irritating new members to try and prove themselves by flaming you.

On Topic, I will be unable to make it to this war, but I would encourage you to continue trying to get the other Florida/Georgia Nerfers to come join you, I know they're out there, but a lot of us have been traveling for the holidays and haven't had reliable internet access as a result, I know I haven't.

Also, some blasters are dangerous, not banning any blasters will scare off some nerfers, myself included. You may want to consider taking a look at which blasters give a sensible nerfer pause, and asking folks to leave those at home.

#196998 Fall Seno Recap

Posted by Cmdrmack on 18 December 2008 - 04:18 PM in Nerf Wars

Yeah, I used to be able to run like that. But now I'm an old fart and need to conserve my energy. So I let you kids run around and wear yourselves out so that I can be fresh when the right moment comes. Like when I end up as the last person alive on my team and need to play aggressively to survive.

#196897 Fall Seno Recap

Posted by Cmdrmack on 17 December 2008 - 11:02 PM in Nerf Wars

At the summer SENO I just hung out for the first eight minutes or so of the Free For All round. Camping works, it's not the most fun, and some people say its cheap, but it is effective.

#196761 New Member Grace Period

Posted by Cmdrmack on 17 December 2008 - 02:46 PM in Off Topic

We have high standards here.

Anyone is welcome to join our community.

You are to meet our standards.

If you do not meet our standards, you will not remain a member of our community for very long.