bad idea, don't do it!

15 replies to this topic

#1 autonerf

autonerf

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • State:Missouri

Posted 13 January 2009 - 09:58 PM

So I was wondering what would happen if I drilled the holes larger in the back of my Maverick turret. It made the gun shoot worse than before, so then I figured, why not see what happens if I make it rear loading?

Posted Image

Posted Image

You can probably guess what happened. Nothing, it didn't shoot at all. Just to save your Maverick don't do this! The holes in the rear of the Maverick turret are just the right size.

#2 hummer

hummer

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 10:01 PM

You, my good sir, are an idiot. :P
Into the fires of battle!
Onto the anvil of war!
QUOTE(BustaNinja @ Nov 23 2010, 04:09 PM) View Post

He parkours over flat land while yelling tactical orders at no one. Demon Lord is the most legit ballsy nerfer of all time.

#3 Echnalaid

Echnalaid

• Members
  • 981 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 10:03 PM

Yes! It doesn't work! Now I won't do this mod, which I was planning to try out.
There was something on the bottom of the ad that said erotyka. Sounds like something spicy -Renegademilitia15

#4 Captain

Captain

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 10:05 PM

If you make the holes in the turret larger than the hole on the plunger, Of course it won't work. You might be able to fix it if you replaced the plunger with a different plunger, or an air chamber. You'd have to work to make a proper seal...
I don't care what anyone else says, Atom Blasters are fucking awesome.

#5 Kyrativ

Kyrativ

• Members
  • 151 posts
  • State:Alberta

Posted 13 January 2009 - 10:06 PM

The holes in the back of the (stock) turret are made to fit the size of the plunger opening, you might be able to fix this though. Take a very thin craft foam or felt with the feltiness burned off then glue it to the front of the gun where the turret is pressed against, this will make a better seal and save your mav. Good luck!
The only nerfer who could kick your ass with a dart tag gun but not with a xbow

NERFSTRONG #44

#6 popatachi

popatachi

• Members
  • 206 posts
  • State:Massachusetts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 10:10 PM

You could also try using Plastistruct or another engineering plastic sheet to recreate the back of the turret and glue over the existing one. The plastic sheets come in varying thicknesses and sizes. Just use an existing non-modded turret to create a template which you can cut out and use.

#7 Cmdrmack

Cmdrmack

• Members
  • 545 posts
  • State:Georgia

Posted 13 January 2009 - 10:31 PM

Rear-loading was, I believe, the great gift of the Doomsayer. However, it will not work on all blasters, and it's good to have measured results of that.

Other than the badass factor of having a rearloading blaster, one really doesn't need a rear loading maverick. Rear loading only shows it's benefits when used with long barrels, as it eliminates the need for a ramrod. The DTB probably wouldn't work too well either, an Arrowstorm on the other hand might produce appreciable results.
QUOTE(Predalien_Ro @ Apr 7 2008, 10:24 PM) View Post

Oompa: FECES!? Who in their right mind would try that shit!?

Bigger Salvo

{FWPC}

#8 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts
  • State:New Jersey

Posted 13 January 2009 - 10:38 PM

Rear-loading was, I believe, the great gift of the Doomsayer. However, it will not work on all blasters, and it's good to have measured results of that.

Other than the badass factor of having a rearloading blaster, one really doesn't need a rear loading maverick. Rear loading only shows it's benefits when used with long barrels, as it eliminates the need for a ramrod. The DTB probably wouldn't work too well either, an Arrowstorm on the other hand might produce appreciable results.

Everything you're saying sounds real nice, but seriously, it means nothing. Rear loading was around before Doomsayers, and has been done on Arrowstorms many times, as well as many other guns.

If you wanted to make the rear loading work, you'd have to expand the seal from the plunger (remember, inverted plunger tube) to cover the entire back of the barrel, pressure tight. Would be a fun experiment, but probably a bitch to accomplish. Edit: Wow, kryativ actually said the same thing. Didn't notice he said productive things.

Edited by Splitlip, 13 January 2009 - 10:40 PM.

Teehee.

#9 Cmdrmack

Cmdrmack

• Members
  • 545 posts
  • State:Georgia

Posted 13 January 2009 - 11:11 PM

I was unaware that such a thing had been done.

Rear loading had been done before the Doomsayer, but I had not seen it done on a turreted blaster in that fashion beforehand.

My main point was that blasters like the Maverick don't need rear loading, only something with a much longer barrel would benefit from such a feature.
QUOTE(Predalien_Ro @ Apr 7 2008, 10:24 PM) View Post

Oompa: FECES!? Who in their right mind would try that shit!?

Bigger Salvo

{FWPC}

#10 Vinnie D

Vinnie D

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 02:04 AM

I can imagine that there's some desire here for the aesthetic value of reloading the rear of the cylinder since Mavericks are essentially revolvers. That's part of the reason why everyone likes to mod the cylinder to swing out further, and I always enjoy spinning mine before slapping it back in. But the cylinder on the mav is just too tiny and exacting to push air through those barrels. maybe if you made a nitemav out of it.

#11 autonerf

autonerf

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • State:Missouri

Posted 14 January 2009 - 04:59 AM

Yeah Vinnie, I thought it would be so cool to have a rear loading Maverick. That way the stefans would already be in the back when loaded. I will try this clip on my Mega Maverick and hopefully, the huge amount of air will be enough to fire the darts.

#12 Dialga

Dialga

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 05:47 AM

The dart just stays there or shoot out and drop to the floor?

Edited by Dialga, 14 January 2009 - 05:50 AM.

#13 aetherguy881

aetherguy881

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 07:58 AM

It may not work on a standard mav, what about a nitemav?

Either way, it is a plausible concept, just that it doesn't work.
--Modify a blaster for a kid and he'll be entertained for a week. Teach him how to modify blasters and he'll become an engineer--
NERFtastic!
FOAMalicious!
DARTomatic!
--Silly emo kids, go draw yourself a picture--

#14 xtremejumpy

xtremejumpy

• Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 04:44 PM

Could you not have a piece connected to the part where the air come out that fits the barrel? You know, enlarging the end to fit, and making a good seal. I think the mod could work, you're just not done yet.

#15 yoruai

yoruai

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 04:47 PM

I started a rear load mod last summer also, for the aesthetic value and loading ease. As with other projects I had to put it down when school started back up so I'm still fiddling with the idea. I apologize, I know pictures would help but I'm between class and haven't access to home photos.

In order to solve the seal problem I cut the cylinder into two parts. I made the rear of it a small disk, just the part the with the horizontal ridges, and screwed it to the gun where the air hole is. This makes the "just right" size hole the plunger shoots through stationary. The orange part within the cylinder came out and I cut off all the individual dart chambers replacing them with crayola barrels filled with small cork, a kind of buckshot shell I use. Empty crayola barrels also make for stock dart chambers as they would otherwise not fit head first into the orange ones. I felt it'd be easier this way then to drill out holes big enough in the rear of the cylinder. With steffans perhaps you could avoid cutting the cylinder and skip straight to the spring method of leak fix.

I had to alter the whole turning mechanism to make up for the fact that the rear part of the cylinder no longer turns. With the new parts this was a pain to get back in sync but once corrected worked just as normal. A bit of plumbing cement with it's springy when dry properties in all the space air need not be and a strong spring at the front of the cylinder to push it against the plunger hole should take care of the mavs stock leak as well as the increased surfaces the mod creates. A stronger plunger (nitemav) would make this even better of course. I know a stronger spring to push the cylinder against the air chamber has been done and was met with problems turning the cylinder but I solved this with another strong spring added to the turning mechanism which easily overcame the turning resistance while still allowing for a tight seal. It does make the trigger pull a bit stiffer however.

There is some work needed to make the cylinder pop out for loading with it being cut but probably not necessary for stefans. Most of this is done, a bit more is only theoretical so I can't tell you how well it works. I will tell you that it is not worth the effort just to be able to rear load. If I get it done I'll post it weather it works or not but my degree comes first so don't expect it soon. The possibility of single handed rear loading shotgun revolver does seem bad ass though.

#16 boom

boom

• Banned
  • 209 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 12:33 AM

Is it just me or are you frikin addicted to mav's I mean do you have any other guns!
I'm just the scitzophrenic clusterfuck of randomness that is me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users