Langley's Content

There have been 1000 items by Langley (Search limited from 12-January 97)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#556 Clan/nerfer Regestry

Posted by Langley on 13 January 2003 - 04:30 PM in General Nerf

I know many have tried this before and failed, but I've already got a respectable list going over at nerfhq.com here:
http://www.nerfhq.co...der=asc&start=0

Clans, use the following format:

Clan Name
Location (State/County/City Area (if applicable) /Town)
Most Seinior Memeber on NHQ
Contact Information (e-mail adress that actually gets checked, aim name, ect.)
Web Site
Other Clan Members (their NH or NHQ names)

For those who are on their own, like sandman for instance, just put your NH name on the top, location, e-mail, and website. If you have an NHQ name and you've already posted on the thread there, don't post again here. If you haven't already posted and you have a different name on another nerf board, specify what it is and what board it is for. The information will be posted on my site, ( www.lglf.tk ) and it will also be submitted here and at NHQ for the articles section once I put it in a presentable format. I want to make this list as complete as possilbe, so if, say, the four horsemen didn't show up on the list because vacc didn't notice the topic, someone else can put them up so long as you don't put their e-mail adress up without them knowing. Hopefully this will inform newbies weather or not there are nerfers in their area, and will put an end to topics like "are there any other nerfers in NJ?"

#864 Nj Spring War:

Posted by Langley on 24 January 2003 - 06:45 PM in Nerf Wars

I think we'll be in good shape in the spring. It'll depend largely on weather or not grades improve for a couple of members, and what Fred's schedule over at Rutgers looks like. As for location, Tindall Park (The LGLF's home field) would be a prime place to nerf in the spring, if anyone is interested in a change of scenery, especially if we're going to have a big turn-out. Tindall is in Middletown in Monmouth county (a few min. from sandy hook and from Red Bank: Home of Jay and Silent Bob) I'll post directions at www.lglf.tk soon if anybody wants them.

#880 Nj Spring War:

Posted by Langley on 25 January 2003 - 08:41 PM in Nerf Wars

LangleyLGLF: its a post on nerfhaven about a spring war in NJ
Fred: cool... propose the name "Toxicity" for the event
Fred: everyone loves "Toxicity"

So what is the general thought on having it in Middletown instead of Pine Beach?

#896 Nj Spring War:

Posted by Langley on 25 January 2003 - 11:53 PM in Nerf Wars

We called it GnomeFEST when we had a war back in August because we wanted to make fun of the rediculous names you people come up with for nerf wars, not because we felt it really needed a name.

#911 H2h In Nerf.

Posted by Langley on 26 January 2003 - 02:58 PM in General Nerf

And you meant a "Nerf" Katana, right, Vacc?

No he meant "Katana" as in a "it will cut you in fucking half and was invented in Japan" sword.

I thought Joe's Katana was wooden?

#925 Nj Spring War:

Posted by Langley on 26 January 2003 - 09:43 PM in Nerf Wars

And about the gnomefest place, I dont wanna piss on the parade and tell you its raining, but I think it would be hard to get us all there. And besides that, if its at our place, none of us have to move.

Well we've got the same problem. Why do you think we want to have it here? We've got six or seven new members, none of whom have driver's licenses, and we're already filling the Maxima to maximum capacity with our origonal five. And in reguards to you getting up here, you seemed to have managed it pretty well at GnomeFEST. Correct me if I'm wrong, but arent we closer to the horsemen and the other little NJ groups than you are anyway?

#937 Nj Spring War:

Posted by Langley on 27 January 2003 - 01:23 PM in Nerf Wars

So how many members does the LGLF have now, Langley?

About ten. Perhaps more. The origonal five initiated members (Myself, Fred, Heefner, Anthony, and Alex) plus the five or six that were supposed to become memebers at the Reckoning. we'll probably be breaking them in as soon as the weather gets warmer, so they'll be active by spring, but I really need a big local event like this spring war to get them sold on nerfing.

#939 Nj Spring War:

Posted by Langley on 27 January 2003 - 02:55 PM in Nerf Wars

We nerf in Tindall Park. It's on Tindall rd. off of rt. 35, across the street from Middletown Highschool North.

#942 Nj Spring War:

Posted by Langley on 27 January 2003 - 03:53 PM in Nerf Wars

From our point of view yes. Small wars aren't as good as larger ones. But look at it from his point of view....

Nerfing with four of the most experienced nerfers around? Or nerfing with four of most experienced nerfers around and a bunch of fucking idiots? Hmmm....

#944 Nj Spring War:

Posted by Langley on 27 January 2003 - 04:39 PM in Nerf Wars

Or for economics majors:
It could also be related to the laws of production, but instead of employees/laborers you have nerfers, and instead of total product you have total....er....fun(?) As you increase the number of nerfers from 2, the total fun increases with every additional nerfer. The increase in fun brought on by an aditional nerfer, or the "marginal fun", also increases with each additional nerfer. As the number of nerfers increase, you eventually reach a point where the marginal fun starts reducing. The total fun is still increasing with each additional nerfer, but by less and less. Eventually the marginal fun reaches the point of negativity, and the total fun begins to actually reduce with each aditional nerfer. The point where marginal fun peaks would be the point of fun equilibrium: the most desired number of nerfers attending a nerf war in a given situation.
I could make a chart, but it wouldn't help.

#977 Nj Spring War:

Posted by Langley on 28 January 2003 - 03:21 PM in Nerf Wars

Okay, after talking to people from each group, the best date in May would appear to be sunday the 18th. It looks like (not absolutely sure on this yet) fred and the horsemen will be done with their exams by the 15th, and the LCM's junior prom will be on saterday the 17th. The problem with this is that we don't really have a decent rain date. The next sunday afterward would be smack in the middle of Memorial Day weekend, with heavy traffic and plenty of people with family gatherings and so forth. So unless the LCM goes with two less (and I'm not sugesting they do), I guess the rain date is the first weekend in June. (two weeks later)

#997 Are You An Old Nerfer?

Posted by Langley on 29 January 2003 - 12:56 PM in General Nerf

::is put in his place::

Dang. That's alot of stuff I don't know.

Signs you're still a newb:
1.)Ratchet blast? What's a Ratchet blast?
2.)You consider Evil Angel among the nerf gods.
3.)You're not entirely sure why they call them stefans.
4.)Your posts per day exceeds the number of nerf wars you've been in by a factor of ten.
5.)are there n e other nerfers in NJ? Pleaze respnd? Helwo?
6.)The net weight of your clan is lighter than Spoon. (<After this past summer my nephew went back home raised an army of unholy five-year-olds with supermax guns. Scary)

#1024 Nj Spring War:

Posted by Langley on 29 January 2003 - 09:53 PM in Nerf Wars

The Directons Page has been added to LGLF.tk . LCM: Note the information at the bottom for parents.

#1045 Armageddon Video

Posted by Langley on 30 January 2003 - 10:02 PM in Off Topic

Go to Nerfonline.com , click the link to the origonal site, and then click armegeddon video under armegeddon in the navbar.

#1070 General Suggestions, Questions

Posted by Langley on 01 February 2003 - 06:46 PM in Site Feedback

How do you feel about co-written articles/mods/ect.? The Fred and I were thinking of submitting a couple of things and were wondering how you would deal with something that has both our names on it.

#1194 Teamwork:

Posted by Langley on 08 February 2003 - 01:41 PM in General Nerf

A little off topic: What are the differences between west coast and east coast rules? I thought you counted back in with east coast, and you didn't with west coast.

#1257 Condition Orange

Posted by Langley on 10 February 2003 - 04:31 PM in Off Topic

What happened to the Def-Con scale? Isn't this pretty much the same thing?

#1271 Condition Orange

Posted by Langley on 10 February 2003 - 09:29 PM in Off Topic

Defcon 1 is the worst. It only gets to defcon one when either Matthew Broderick or Ben Aflec become crucial to our nation's security.

Famine- Aparrently the scale hasn't become too outdated for hollywood since "Wargames" It made an appearance in "The Sum of all Fears" Albeit it wasn't in the form of an eightys-esque color coded display in every office in Norad, but it was mentioned a few times.

#1354 Inline Pvc Checkvalve?

Posted by Langley on 13 February 2003 - 10:06 AM in Homemades

I was playing around with one of my splitfires, and I realized that the system it works on is pretty simple: Its just a pump that's connected to two tanks, each having a check valve, a firing valve, and a barrel. The check valve allows air into the tanks, but prevents it from coming back out of the second tank when the first fires. The trigger system is even more simple: A trigger that catches the first barrel's firing pin a quarter-inch before the second.

This design could easily be used for a homeade using zero's homade valve design, but I don't know of any parts that could be used as a suitable check valve. (I'm pretty sure a pvc check valve requires a substantial flow of water in the wrong direction to close the valve.)

Any ideas?

#1371 Inline Pvc Checkvalve?

Posted by Langley on 13 February 2003 - 09:37 PM in Homemades

Yet to be built. You can use technologies from this for a check valve, easily, provided you can get everything to work cleanly. The thumb tack plate is the most dubious part... You may be able to replace it with a rivet or something.

That's brilliant, but I don't see how I could adapt it for a check valve. I need something that would be able to allow air to only flow in one direction by automatically closing when there is air pressure in the wrong direction. Something similar to the check valve on a pump.

yall realize you can buy a check valve at home depot I bought one on accident one time when making a water balloon launcher  

Yeah, but the PVC ones are meant to be used with water. They wouldn't work very well with very small amounts of air at low pressures.

I was thinking that I could buy one of those quick-release valves used in towable inflatables (tubes that you towe behind a boat like a waterskier) And hope that the threads match up. Those valves are simply a rubber membrane secured to a flat piece of plastic that has holes under the membane. When pressure increases on one side, the membrane bends away alowing air to pass, but when pressure builds on the other side, the membrane just flattens more against the plastic sealing off the holes.

#1381 Nerf Guns

Posted by Langley on 14 February 2003 - 10:37 AM in General Nerf

Yeah, I'm sure they're real stock guns, but they shoot from angles that make the distance the dart travels look farther. They probably also shoot the gun a point blank in shots where you only see the dart hit something.

#1382 Best Trigger System

Posted by Langley on 14 February 2003 - 11:00 AM in Homemades

According to the spudgun side, it opens the valve faster than the usual electric hookup would

#1401 Nj Spring War:

Posted by Langley on 15 February 2003 - 12:20 AM in Nerf Wars

Go to www.lglf.tk and then click on photos in the nav bar. Then click on gnomefest. all of those pictures are of Tindall. We'll take a few that better illustrate the area if you want.

#1425 Nj Spring War:

Posted by Langley on 15 February 2003 - 10:57 PM in Nerf Wars

Well, those pictures don't really dEffeminatet the Obstacle Coarse that the high school uses. It has a bunch of cool looking wooden crap that can be used for cover, for an elevated vantage point, or to swing around on like the little fairy that you are. There's also a construction site across the street behind the high school. What stage of construction and weather or not we'll be able to use it without getting kicked out remains to be seen, but it's there. Tindall Park also has elevation. There are plenty of hills, and if I remember correctly, warlock set up a little embattlement on a hill from a tree trunk and a little burrow thing. Finally, there's a bridge. And its not some little pice-of-crap bridge over some ditch in the woods in toms river either. No, its an actual bridge, that you would have to use to cross over a real live stream.

#1465 Nj Spring War:

Posted by Langley on 17 February 2003 - 01:16 PM in Nerf Wars

Fuck, it's just a fucking forest isn't it? What's with you people and the god damn woods? I just don't get it, oh well.

VACC

If not forest, then what sort of environment do you usually nerf in anyway?

#1481 Nj May War:

Posted by Langley on 17 February 2003 - 06:00 PM in Nerf Wars

How about 10:30 arrival and 5:00 departure? And then after the end of the first war that extends past 2:00 we can order some subs or pizzas or something and take a half hour or 45 min. for lunch.

#1484 Nj May War:

Posted by Langley on 17 February 2003 - 07:37 PM in Nerf Wars

What time does it get dark during that time of year?

#1524 Nj May War:

Posted by Langley on 18 February 2003 - 01:05 PM in Nerf Wars

Anyone can come. I was actually trying to get hold of you earlier about this. What about the rest of your group?

#1604 Nj May War:

Posted by Langley on 19 February 2003 - 01:21 PM in Nerf Wars

Theres a Directions Page at the LGLF site (www.LGLF.tk)

#1605 Gallery Section Is Alive!

Posted by Langley on 19 February 2003 - 01:59 PM in Site Feedback

**the captions loaded really fast when I was clicking through them**

What captions?

#1607 Hotlinking: Free Sites?

Posted by Langley on 19 February 2003 - 04:04 PM in Off Topic

What's the .txt hotlinking ability? I've tried the http://invis.free.anonymizer.com/ anonymizer deal, and nerfhaven doesn't support it, and I tried the msn picture hosting thing from cxwq's list, and nerfhaven doesn't suport that either because it uses a linear URL or something.

#1614 Flash Day Counter?

Posted by Langley on 19 February 2003 - 05:57 PM in Off Topic

I would like to set up a counter on my web site that counts down the days, and even hours and minuets to the next nerf war. Does anyone know of anything already done in flash that I can just drop right into the page I'm working on?

#1623 Flash Day Counter?

Posted by Langley on 19 February 2003 - 07:54 PM in Off Topic

Whoa. Thanks. Both of you have been very helpfull.

#1684 Hotlinking: Free Sites?

Posted by Langley on 21 February 2003 - 09:49 AM in Off Topic

What type of image do you use with the .txt thing? What do you usually do to change the extension?

#1708 Does Anyone Use Y! (yahoo! Im)

Posted by Langley on 22 February 2003 - 12:50 AM in Off Topic

I set up my yahoo! account with a "Y!" name (lawngnomeliberationfront) Does anyone else use "Y!" ?

#1715 Nj May War:

Posted by Langley on 22 February 2003 - 01:29 PM in Nerf Wars

Sorry to interrupt your dialogue guys.

Does anyone have any ideas about how we could mix up the battles a little? So far it seems like we're going to have more than twenty people coming, and I thought we'd try something new to keep things from getting out of hand.

After hearing Famine and Vacc talking about the merits of smaller wars, mabey for a couple of the days battles we could split everyone up into four groups and have two battles going on at once in different parts of the park. There's plenty of room for that sort of thing.

We could also try having more than two teams in one battle. Since there will be more than two clans coming, we could divide it up that way, or we could pick three or four even teams for a battle.

There aren't really any symetricall or even areas of the park for a capture the flag game, but there are places where we could do an Unreal Tournament style Assault
battle with one flag. Once the defending team has been beaten, it has to capture the opponents flag in less time to win the blattle.

Any other ideas.

#1717 Nj May War:

Posted by Langley on 22 February 2003 - 02:53 PM in Nerf Wars

If no one else has any flagging tape, I'll buy a couple of rolls.

#1757 Shotgunners Rejoyce!

Posted by Langley on 24 February 2003 - 09:54 AM in Modifications

Foam pipe insulation cut into wedges work pretty well too, but they're a bitch to glue weights into.

#1805 Hello Nerfhaven

Posted by Langley on 25 February 2003 - 08:44 PM in Off Topic

Congradulations. By posting on this board, you've exceeded the bandwitdth granted by geocities for your site. Welcome.

#1807 New Homemades

Posted by Langley on 25 February 2003 - 08:55 PM in Homemades

What about the basic valve system you developed? Could that be called the Zero Valve?