Anyone have any ideas?

6 replies to this topic

#1 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 13 February 2003 - 10:06 AM

I was playing around with one of my splitfires, and I realized that the system it works on is pretty simple: Its just a pump that's connected to two tanks, each having a check valve, a firing valve, and a barrel. The check valve allows air into the tanks, but prevents it from coming back out of the second tank when the first fires. The trigger system is even more simple: A trigger that catches the first barrel's firing pin a quarter-inch before the second.

This design could easily be used for a homeade using zero's homade valve design, but I don't know of any parts that could be used as a suitable check valve. (I'm pretty sure a pvc check valve requires a substantial flow of water in the wrong direction to close the valve.)

Any ideas?

You can poop in my toilet anytime champ.

2016 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.

#2 Zero Talent

Zero Talent

• Contributors
  • 606 posts

Posted 13 February 2003 - 07:43 PM

Yet to be built. You can use technologies from this for a check valve, easily, provided you can get everything to work cleanly. The thumb tack plate is the most dubious part... You may be able to replace it with a rivet or something.
"'Revere me as hot! All others are not! THIS, I COMMAND!'"
- Death

#3 freakymist

freakymist

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 13 February 2003 - 08:17 PM

yall realize you can buy a check valve at home depot I bought one on accident one time when making a water balloon launcher <_<

#4 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 13 February 2003 - 09:37 PM

Yet to be built. You can use technologies from this for a check valve, easily, provided you can get everything to work cleanly. The thumb tack plate is the most dubious part... You may be able to replace it with a rivet or something.

That's brilliant, but I don't see how I could adapt it for a check valve. I need something that would be able to allow air to only flow in one direction by automatically closing when there is air pressure in the wrong direction. Something similar to the check valve on a pump.

yall realize you can buy a check valve at home depot I bought one on accident one time when making a water balloon launcher  

Yeah, but the PVC ones are meant to be used with water. They wouldn't work very well with very small amounts of air at low pressures.

I was thinking that I could buy one of those quick-release valves used in towable inflatables (tubes that you towe behind a boat like a waterskier) And hope that the threads match up. Those valves are simply a rubber membrane secured to a flat piece of plastic that has holes under the membane. When pressure increases on one side, the membrane bends away alowing air to pass, but when pressure builds on the other side, the membrane just flattens more against the plastic sealing off the holes.

You can poop in my toilet anytime champ.

2016 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.

#5 Zero Talent

Zero Talent

• Contributors
  • 606 posts

Posted 14 February 2003 - 12:21 AM

...I don't see how I could adapt it for a check valve. I need something that would be able to allow air to only flow in one direction by automatically closing when there is air pressure in the wrong direction. Something similar to the check valve on a pump.

Yeah, sorry, just ignore the tubing, and maybe dump the O-ring, and you have a check valve. Pressure will keep the tack pressed against the rubber washer, sealing the tank, and air pressure from the other side will still be allowed in. The spring's just to keep everything in place, and the O-ring is for the removable air tank system, and as I said, is dumpable.

Don't think consumer Aquarium check valves are the answer. Crap.

Good luck with your idea!
"'Revere me as hot! All others are not! THIS, I COMMAND!'"
- Death

#6 freakymist

freakymist

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 14 February 2003 - 10:02 PM

Yeah, but the PVC ones are meant to be used with water. They wouldn't work very well with very small amounts of air at low pressures.

hmm...maybe for a homemade water gun :D

#7 Raiden

Raiden

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 03 March 2003 - 12:44 AM

I have a couple pvc check valves and the ones I have at least work fine for air, as they are springloaded to remain closed unless air going the right way is pushed into them. I dunno if most/all are made that way but there are certainly ones out there. I use mine to supercharge my modded supersoaker past the point where its check valve would give in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users