Actuated Breech Pistol II

160 replies to this topic

#101 keef

keef

• Members
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 08:33 PM

Nice job, the myth is busted!

It was to prove Nerf can have a semi-automatic, right?

I'm guessing its not bigo n range.
Timothy M-Lick <3

#102 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 09:21 PM

The folding stock is done. It locks in the rear position using quick-release pins. And the forward position locks by clipping onto the outer barrel.
Posted Image
Posted Image

I'm guessing its not big on range.

I have no idea what the ranges are or will be, despite having done tests to determine what volume of air I would need to get a minimum of 80 feet. The output of air from the barrel is quite impressive, but we'll have to see after I get the leaks out.

But on a side note, Having a larger cap Mag for that would be really useful.

It's on the "to-do" list. I've made plenty of them before.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 11 October 2007 - 10:25 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#103 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 10:04 PM

I just watched the video and after changing my shirt from all the drool, I really really can't stress how awesome the near end product is. I have seen alot of good desings but never have I seen something that works as smooth as that fine piece of art. Reminicent of an MP5K with folding stock up. I know this is probably really frowned apon by you guys but I really think you deserve the praise. So way to go Slug. You just made my nerfing day.

But on a side note, Having a larger cap Mag for that would be really useful. And it's a really big range sucess, then I wouln't be surprised to see a whole lineup of LS mag fed semi auto's based off this. But again, really cool gun, from concept to near finish, this project I have enjoyed how much of it I watched.
Me: Yeah. he beat a hooker
Venom: Haven't we all?

#104 penguin807

penguin807

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 10:30 PM

Well now I have to go to hell. Looks great. If you have enough time you may want to consider a drum mag like telekinetic's.

#105 six-five-two

six-five-two

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 10:59 PM

Well now I have to go to hell.

I couldn't help but laugh there.

#106 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 780 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 11:43 PM

I noticed in the movie the mag follower seemed to move. How come?
QUOTE(VACC @ Jan 24 2008, 06:12 AM) View Post
I am NEVER going to sleep naked in the bed of a former child star ever again....seriously

#107 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 11:50 PM

The barrel is moving it.
I didn't want to have to worry about clearances between the inner walls of the magazine and the barrel so I measured it out so that the barrel passes through the magazine a little lower than the normal longshot bolt would. When the magazine is empty this means that the barrel hits the angled end of the follower and pushed it down and out of the way.
Interestingly (in a non-planned way) this also gives an auditory indicator that the magazine is empty once the last dart is fired.
The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#108 bpso86

bpso86

• Members
  • 618 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 12:03 AM

That is really impressive. I especially like the stock, and whether or not you were trying to make it dual function, it looks sweet. When it's folded, it kinda reminds me of an mp5. Very cool, very cool.

I have every intention of coming out to the east coast sometime next year to meet a lot of you guys, and to see all the ridiculous creations that we have all amassed. I hope you get the results that you deserve when you start firing darts out of the gun, you certainly put a lot more effort into it than most people are willing or able to. Well done.

#109 Maeric

Maeric

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 03:56 PM

Any posiblility of full plans? And how much was it? Sorry if i missed it, i have to many ideas buzzing through my head...
Active on H3Artificer as Halacar. GT: Halacar send me an invite if you wanna forge.
I'm amazing at Forza3! I destroyed the engine of a 2mil C car by downshifting! YAY!
I hate you. And all noobs who are like "OMFG i r liek, glued sh1t 2 shit. jak offf ma ego. NAOW!"

#110 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 08:25 PM

The only thing I have to report right now is that all of the leaks are gone. Only one last length of tubing to do.
Posted Image
I didn't accomplish much else today. Been feeling kinda sick. I'm waiting for some springs to arrive in the mail that will help me fix some kinking problems in certain lengths of tubing. I've done more tests and everything is looking very promising. I will have another video to post once I can install the springs in the tubing and do some range tests outside.
The last pieces to make are the body panels.

1. Any posiblility of full plans?
2. And how much was it?

1. Not until the project is completely finished. And that will be when I'm completely satisfied with the end results.
2. I'm not sure because most of the money spent has been related to constructing experimental valves that didn't end up getting used. I haven't been doing any detailed accounting for this project. Money wasn't really a deciding factor in this project because even if I bought supplies I still have tons of parts leftover for other projects (particularly extra O-rings and washers).

Edited by CaptainSlug, 12 October 2007 - 10:10 PM.

#111 shadowkid33

shadowkid33

• Members
  • 633 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 10:05 PM

And how much was it?

Aside from the cost of the gun, you must factor in the cost of making a low pressure backpack tank as an air source.
how the heck do you make a double clip?

Here are the steps.
1. Go to the search button in the right corner of the screen
2. Click
3. Search double longshot clip.

i dont have time, jeez, im new here!

#112 nerfer34

nerfer34

• Members
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 10:08 PM

Amazing.
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God Damn it Groove, you stole my kill.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->-OMC

#113 Lynx

Lynx

• Members
  • 983 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 10:13 PM

- Generally a lot of posts that violate the NerfHaven Code of Conduct, mainly the one about "Do not post unless you have something significant to add. Or what I call the "That's cool!" and nothing more posts.

Just a quote and a suggestion to all posters after me and such...

How many shots can you fire from the tank?

Will you bring this to a war?
Columbus' original crazy asshole now comes with:

AWESOME NITEFINDER

#114 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 10:20 PM

I haven't really seen any wholly useless posts in this thread yet.

1. How many shots can you fire from the tank?
2. Will you bring this to a war?

1. Presumably the 88/4500 tank should give me around 3,500 shots per fill. My last tank was half the capacity and gave me 2,200 shots from the magstrike, but I have no accurate means of calculating the shot capacity based on the volume and pressure level of the tank.

The low pressure tank on the other hand will give me atleast 24 shots, but possible even upwards of 60. I will find out fore sure later.

2. I plan to bring it to atleast Hell Before Halloween and DCNO. It will probably come with me to others in the future as well.

#115 Jaffe

Jaffe

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 10:40 AM

@Captainslug
Did you haven't not a single problem with the flow of the three way valve's you've made? They look so small :lol: . I'm now trying to build a kind of valve like that.
GR.Jaffe

Edited by Jaffe, 13 October 2007 - 11:03 AM.

#116 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 01:08 PM

I had TONS of problems. Hence why I went through 10 designs before getting one to work.

#117 Jaffe

Jaffe

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 01:39 PM

The valve that I made is just the piston, 10 CM PVC 32 MM, two endcaps and some neopreme. Why does your trigger valve need more machining?
GR.Jaffe

#118 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 03:28 PM

I wanted it to be small but also have a high flow rate. I also wanted it to involve very little friction, and in order to accomplish that the actuation rod would need to only come into contact with one O-ring.

Edit: Here's the basics of the newest valve design.
Posted Image
Posted Image

I'll make a machining diagram and post it in the trigger designs thread once I'm happy with its performance.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 13 October 2007 - 06:39 PM.

#119 CROW

CROW

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 04:34 PM

I'm sure that Slug builds these things just to make us wish to hell that we had the experience/machine access.
Hah, but seriously, its looking great man. I think I remember you saying that you achieved a range of around 30-40 feet. Is that right?
"You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to frighten you."

"ah man, I would give you so much for one of those NIB crossbows or one of those crossbows on the floor. The ones on ebay have gone up to $59 and the shipping alone is $12." -Rip32

#120 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 06:18 PM

I haven't done any tests outside yet, so I don't have any ranges to report. I've only been firing at my bedroom door to make sure the parts are cycling properly.
I'll do some tests outside once my mcmaster order arrives so I can get the tubing setup without kinks.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 14 October 2007 - 06:19 PM.

#121 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 04:07 PM

I've been doing so test with the compressor my workplace gave me (it's really old and needs a fan on the pump) and.
Ranges
@70psi = 60-80 feet
depending primarily on how quickly I pull the trigger

To improve consistency and distance I will have to make a larger trigger valve. And I'm not sure how to accomplish that right now. I'll see if I can diagnose the problem at work tomorrow.

Picture with a 12-rd magazine installed.
Posted Image
Feature Demonstration Video

I'll make another video at work tomorrow.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 15 October 2007 - 11:54 PM.

#122 baghead

baghead

Cheetos

• Members
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 11:44 PM

Uh-Maze-Ing!

Yeah, that's rad.

...want some help painting it?...

Edited by baghead, 15 October 2007 - 11:54 PM.

Don't call it a comeback, I never left.

#123 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 12:02 AM

...want some help painting it?...

Tempting, very tempting. I'll have to think about it, and see how much plastic I have on hand for making the body panels. I'm probably going to paint everything with vinyl dye rather than spray paint so that the finish is flat, but extremely durable.

I will probably leave the magazine the current orange color and use red vinyl dye as the accent color.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 16 October 2007 - 12:03 AM.

#124 PvtMcFlurry

PvtMcFlurry

• Members
  • 353 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 07:30 AM

Dear Lord. CaptainSlug I'm sure you hear this time and time again but great FUCKING job. If only everyone had the time/money/tools/recources/ATTENTION SPAN/ to make one.

~McFlurry
QUOTE(Cannonball @ Oct 26 2007, 11:47 PM) View Post

I'm anxiously awaiting the hasbro over throw.

One Man Clan, or One Man Company?

Crossbow Mod.

#125 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 10:20 AM

At work this morning I wound some wire onto the tubing to cinch them to the fittings. I can now operate at a maximum of 100 psi without any issues. At 80 psi I'm getting upwards of 90 feet.
I have to replace one of the o-rings this afternoon, and I will get the body panels made. Then I can run more tests and record a new video.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 16 October 2007 - 10:48 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users