Mes Fusils!

Design and Construction Discussion

100 replies to this topic

#26 GeneralPrimevil

GeneralPrimevil

• Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 03:08 PM

Sounds like a bad start. Oh well, bad starts have good ends and good starts have bad ends, or at least for me...

Well, at least this will be a learning experience, no?
"Fear the man with one gun, for he probably knows how to use it."

#27 Flaming Hilt

Flaming Hilt

• Members
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 03:59 PM

-_- Yea. I have high hopes, though. I didn't even lose that much moolah, because everything is so cheap... :)

And the best part is, they know me so well at the hardware store they want me to work there. Work at a Hardware store... get discounts... ^_^

Yup. I learned lots, and I'm not even done. Thanks for the support, ya'll. B)
" Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Mr. Creedy. Beneath this mask there is an idea...
...and ideas are bulletproof. "
V

#28 GeneralPrimevil

GeneralPrimevil

• Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 04:23 PM

So what are you doing for the bolt? I don't think I have read anything on it yet, unless that is the inspiration of the FAR you were talking about...

Hopefully this is done by the time you get on that plane to go to KAF hosted (need to rename it...didn't notice another, previous MMNO...shiat)...which is in three months, so you'd have to work even slower than me in order to not finish it.

Edited by GeneralPrimevil, 30 March 2006 - 05:32 PM.

#29 Flaming Hilt

Flaming Hilt

• Members
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 04:58 PM

Wow. Yes. I'm probably going to finish tomorrow, as long as my mom remembers to pick up the wood for the clip on her way back from work.

Bolt? Bolt. Okay, well, I have to find out sometime: Define "bolt." I'm not going to tell you what I think it is, just in case that's wrong.

Just a general tip for everyone: Lubricaters and pets who shed do NOT bode well for you.
" Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Mr. Creedy. Beneath this mask there is an idea...
V

#30 GeneralPrimevil

GeneralPrimevil

• Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 05:21 PM

My definition for bolt: the moving part which provides an air seal between the air reservior/piston cylinder and the rear of a projectile/casing. In the case of your homemade, the specific definition I was looking for would be what you are going to use to get the dart from being in an open breach to that of a closed, "airtight", barrel. If you were to look at boltsniper's FAR, for instance, his bolt would be the 1" thinwall PVC, which doubled as a cylinder for him.

*sniff*...*sniffsniff*...Do I smell a vocabulary lesson of a topic coming up?

Good to know you will have a few months to tweak (or troubleshoot :nugget: ) this thing...

#31 Flaming Hilt

Flaming Hilt

• Members
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 05:29 PM

Okay. I knew it was either that or something to do with the plunger.

I'm using 9/16" Brass... basically, the bolt is part of the barrel (I'm not using shells).

What I'm going to do is finish this, then redraw plans of oober improvements (since I'll know things like: what sucked or didn't work and was amazing or worked) and use those to make another, better one.
V

#32 GeneralPrimevil

GeneralPrimevil

• Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 05:55 PM

So you are using an Unknown breach kinda thing? That would be where you slide the brass forward, uncovering a hole which a dart pops through, then slide the brass over the dart.

Wait, is it going to be a sprung magazine? If so, then you might have a problem with soft, squishy, compresses with spring pressures, ten more adjectives for not hard, darts.

#33 Flaming Hilt

Flaming Hilt

• Members
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 06:13 PM

Yes, that's what I'm doing.

Well, I'll try it and see what happens. I figure that if I use a weak spring, it won't compress the dart as much.
V

#34 GeneralPrimevil

GeneralPrimevil

• Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 06:36 PM

Then you might have feeding problems.

What would work great is an on demand feed system, such as rotary-mag made of PVC with feeder arms, turned by hand when you need a dart. If it had some sort of latch-type thing on the handwheel, then it would "click" into each dart advance. That would be a bit complicated to make, but would work good for eight to ten rounds in 3" PVC. Reloading would be a bitch...Ha, just make it out of an old turret and the size pipe it fits in. I think I'm gonna have to get the AT2k turret that one of the KAF isn't using right now and give that a try. All that it would need is a pipe around it and a handle attached to the turret, using the already made notch-system to keep the next round, well, available. This would have to be more of a gravity-drop system, but oh well. It'd be cool to have if the top could be loaded with an extra slot and cover. Hmm...

#35 Flaming Hilt

Flaming Hilt

• Members
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 07:29 PM

Well, if I do, I'll figure it out. I love doing this kind of thing.

Wow. Uhmmm...

Wow.

It's too bad you and I don't live closer together. I'd love to hang out with you sometime and actually build all the stuff you talk about.

I may have to try that rotary idea. My sister wants me to make something like Starbuck's Razorbeast, where all you have to do is crank.

Maybe one day.

In the mean time...
*continues re-making trigger system*
V

#36 GeneralPrimevil

GeneralPrimevil

• Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 08:22 PM

Yeap...well, umm...yeap.

There are many-a people smarter than me here *ahem* BOLT...

Well, you'd have to talk to Captain Slug for that one...

Anyway, with that rotary thing, screw it. I'll just make it over spring break and then post how I did it with about twenty pictures. Also, expect a write-up on how to properly port PVC components. Why? Because very few people on this here forum knows how properly to port a muzzle, make a muzzle brake, or make a silencer.

Anyway, good luck with getting that thing working well, since you seem to have production worked out well.

Anyway, I say "anyway" a lot, don't I?

---==---==---

I'm still laughing at myself for posting that rotary-mag on-demand feed system. I seriously made that up AS I was typing. So I guess it was a "seat of my pants" kind of concept. Well, that's why I amaze myself...

Another reason is because usually when I say something like my last post at my school, for instance, everyone kind of goes "...huh? You lost me at the first 'an'..."

#37 Flaming Hilt

Flaming Hilt

• Members
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 09:14 PM

Okay, I have all the pieces now -- all the right pieces :nugget: -- so I should be able to finish by late tomorrow. Pics then.

I wouldn't mind a write-up on how to make a silencer... I tried, once, long ago... and... well, long story short, the remnants are now on their way to a landfill.

Psh. Rants are good. Sometimes cool things spawn from them. You inspired me, at least (if I can ever finish my CURRENT project <_<). Go for it yourself, though, and post pics.
V

#38 GeneralPrimevil

GeneralPrimevil

• Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 12:24 AM

Well, this finally inspired me to make an entire gun now. Great. I think my clan wants to kill you now, so you're gonna wanna be on our team so that regulators are used, as are "safer" Stefans...

Okay, I finally thought hard about that rotary-mag...later...

I made a cylindrical porting write-up in the five minutes after it took me to make a silencer core, which took nealry three hours since I was eating while doing it, screwing up vids and pics and measurements the whole time. That was also the sloppiest job I've done. Well...[strong British accent]Cheerio, lad! Finish what you were bloody doin' right quick! [/British] Yeap. I really am tired, now that it is...the 1st? April started a half hour ago here? Dayum....

Edited by GeneralPrimevil, 01 April 2006 - 12:43 AM.

#39 Flaming Hilt

Flaming Hilt

• Members
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 06:01 PM

Yup... too bad it's Saturday, can't do anything to the school... : o(

Anyways, quick update: Had a friend over yesterday, so progress was slowed a bit. Currently on the 7th trigger reconstruction. Switched to Clothespin trigger to see if that works any better.

The problem isn't that Ompa's doesn't work, the problem is the way I made it, the pin has to push the spring back more, and... it doesn't want to...

So, I may still be able to finish before school starts again (Monday), but we'll see. Chances are, I'll take enough breaks to make that improbable.

- Quick update. Ha! -

So... why does your clan want to kill me again?
V

#40 GeneralPrimevil

GeneralPrimevil

• Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 06:31 PM

You made me want to start another project, probably high-powered, and they hate being test subjects. So in other words, you made me want to create something which would give me an advantage in a clan civil war.

Funny how one event changes that entire gun and why I wanted to build it. Apparently my local Home Depot (the only place which carries 5/8" FBR) only gets FBR shipments once a year: in the fall. So, they get about ten bags of the mega stuff. They sell out within an hour and don't restock for another year. I need new mega Stefans. I don't have any which can really shoot anymore. So, that gun I was talking about has to use micros, which means I can't use PVC, which means I can't make the rotary mag fo it. Dammit.

#41 Flaming Hilt

Flaming Hilt

• Members
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 06:32 PM

Why can't you use PVC...?
V

#42 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 06:42 PM

Sorry it didn't work out for you, it's a bitch to make; the only advantage over Carbon's is that you can place the trigger further forwards than with the clothespin trigger. So really the only advantage is that the gun ends up a little shorter.

~ompa

#43 GeneralPrimevil

GeneralPrimevil

• Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 06:42 PM

1/2" PVC (the smallest sold locally that I can find...I might try a specialty plumbing store for 3/8") has an innder diameter somewhere a bit less than 5/8". Micro Stefans have a diameter of .5" (or .49" for me). Way too much air would escape around the gap for me to use micros in a PVC barreled gun. Now I have to either get some CPVC and try and make a breach for it, or use some 3/8" steel dimensioned pipe.

Edit: Hey ompa, I love our post stamps... :blink:

Wait a second, Carbon's is the clothespin, right? Your's is two rods with a line between them. The clothespin would have to be right where the lockup occurs, whereas the two rods could be any distance from eachother, am I right? So how would Carbon's trigger result in a smaller gun?

Edited by GeneralPrimevil, 01 April 2006 - 06:49 PM.

#44 Flaming Hilt

Flaming Hilt

• Members
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 06:49 PM

Right. So, you know what you do? You buy 9/16" brass, and put it inside the PVC. Unless you don't have any. Then... you... do what you're doing.
V

#45 GeneralPrimevil

GeneralPrimevil

• Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 06:53 PM

Hey Hilt, I think you completely missed that PM I sent you at around 4 hours ago...

So, ompa's trigger won't work because it pushes back on the piston/spring while trying to pull out of the way...hmm. I think I know how to fix it. You are using wood dowel, no? If so, what diameter rod is being used as a catch for the piston? You may be able to drill through the rod, put a smaller rod through that and the dowel, and make the pin pivot so as to counter the motion of the lever a.k.a the sear.

#46 Flaming Hilt

Flaming Hilt

• Members
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 06:59 PM

Wow. No, I don't think I can drill through nails... good suggestion, though.

Actually, now I'm using a small section of CPVC that's cut in half, because the wood was bending and crap. I've also gone through 3 different kinds of string. :blink:

Well, gotta learn sometime.

I got'cher PM. I'll see if I can't throw some brass into my suitcase, but no guarantees. Not to mention, it's three months away, soo... don't forget to remind me. :)
V

#47 GeneralPrimevil

GeneralPrimevil

• Members
  • 578 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 07:27 PM

Hmm...perhaps if you scaled the whole thing up and used something a bit thicker, such as an old bike spoke. Those are pretty tough to bend under the normal forces of what applied here. I've drilled through one before (with a drill press) to add something to it...can't remember what though. Anyway, then you just need something thinner than it (a tack-type nail?) to go through it. CPVC would be even easier to work with since it already has a gap which the whole thing could pivot in.

I forgot about the suitcase. Should I bother Carbon?

#48 Flaming Hilt

Flaming Hilt

• Members
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 08:30 PM

Good suggestion, but I don't think so. The purpose of my first homemade -- for me, at least -- is to learn. I'm going to build it according to plan, and then the next one I make, I will fix all the mistakes I found (By the way, a custom pistol is next, I'm thinkin...).

I forgot about the suitcase. Should I bother Carbon?

Should you bother Carbon? Bother... Carbon...
Uhh.... perhaps I've forgotten something... but... what do suitcases and Carbon have to do with each other?
V

#49 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 08:42 PM

Yeah, I'm not sure if I made that clear in the writeup.. The pin is free to move in a certain range of motion; the hole is actually bigger than the pin, but smaller than the pin-head, allowing it to rotate around.

~ompa

#50 Flaming Hilt

Flaming Hilt

• Members
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 08:56 PM

The hole is actually bigger than the pin, but smaller than the pin-head.

Isn't the pin head supposed to be smaller than the pin?

That kind of makes sense, I guess. Thanks.
V

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users