KaneTheMediocre

Belligerent Asshole

• Members
  • 613 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 11:49 PM

POPULAR

The S imple T ype A utomatic N erf gun.

Materials:

18" Schedule 80 1/2" PVC Pipe 5.85 (120")

30"+ Schedule 40 1/2" PVC Pipe 2.21 (120") 

12" Schedule Anything 3/4" PVC Pipe 2.86 (120")

2x 3/4" PVC Tee  0.44 http://www.mcmaster.com/#4880k42
1 ft vinyl tubing $1 (estimate, need to confirm at Ace)
1/2" CPVC 45 degree elbow 0.36

Duct tape 3.75 (1 roll)

Price for 1 with leftovers:  5.85+2.21+2.86+0.27+1.59+0.38+2*0.44+3.75+1+0.36 = $19.15
Bulk price per blaster (60 LCD, 16" magazine):5.85/6+2.21/4+2.86/10+0.27+1.59+0.38+2*0.44+3.75/3+1+0.36 = $7.55
Bulk price per blaster (6 LCD, 26" magazine): 5.85/6+2.21/3+2.86/6+0.27+1.59+0.38+2*0.44+3.75/3+1+0.36 = $7.91

The basic mechanism of the STAN gun is the well known hoppered blowgun.  The STAN gun is intended to take advantage of this amazingly simple and economical mechanism in a way that more meaningfully passes for a blaster.  There's still no trigger, and it's still lung-powered, but there are at least handles and a stock, as well as a flexible tube that prevents the user from getting their teeth knocked out in a collision. 

The hope is that STAN guns help NIC-isolated war hosts to provide enough loaner blasters to start a community with normals.   There's no question that a traditional hoppered springer NIC primary is a superior blaster for a typical playing field and playing style (These are 50 ft blasters tops), but these are still good enough at what they do to have a role in an NIC war (Provided at least a LITTLE bit of cover) and enough WOW for a person who's never seen homemades to hold their interest.   The cost for 1 blaster is a bit deceptive, as very short lengths of pipe are required.  This not only means dramatic savings for making more blasters, it also makes it more likely that a given NIC homemade enthusiast would have everything needed to make a STAN gun already.  The wye is the only really obscure part, but we've all come to peace with the fact that we need to order a bunch online every once in a while.  Schedule 80 pipe can be hard to find locally depending on where you live and if you have a day job (Menards always carried in in Chicagoland, but the closest Menards to me in WA is in Wyoming), but you can always order it online. 

I plan on this evolving into more of a writeup than it is currently, but I always do, so we'll see.  In the meantime, the video shows you everything you need.  I recommend watching it, and really all youtube videos, at 2X speed.  It's in the quality settings menu.

Troubleshooting the feed:
+Make sure that the vinyl tubing is pushed in far enough to seal in the sch40 1/2" pipe but not so far that you can see it when you look in the top of the wye.
+Make sure your barrel entrance is as smooth and gradual as needed for your darts.  Some darts need more than others.  With Artifact darts, you need an extra-gradual entrance.  Sometimes tray style hoppers like Zorn's optimal wye are needed for springers, although I've always gotten blowguns to work without them.
+Make sure your darts are short enough.  Artifact darts are 36mm, and I think that's about as long as you can go with such rigid foam.  If you have darts made with very soft and flexible foam, you may be able to go a little bit longer if you want.
+Take the magazine, and ALL of the darts out of the wye, and put them back in and try again.  Hoppers are voodoo, sometimes this just happens.

Edited by KaneTheMediocre, 05 June 2016 - 02:36 PM.

RAINBOW CLAN FTW
I'm Purple

My Half-Baked MHA Site

#2 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 09:48 AM

POPULAR

Great content, Kane. This is one of the best YouTube Nerf videos I've ever seen. Thanks for not making a directionless rambling video or just a series of stills. Hopefully you manage to get a write-up in there too. And:

I recommend watching it, and really all youtube videos, at 2X speed.  It's in the quality settings menu.

This is probably among the most useful things on this website.

Unholy Three: DUPLUM SCRTA, DUPLUM PROBLEMA (2009)

But Zeke guns tend to be like proofs by contradiction

Theoretically solid but actually non-constructive

Rnbw Cln

#3 Aeromech

Aeromech

• Moderators
  • 434 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 06:00 PM

Saw the attachment on one of your blasters at plains. I can say from experience that this setup is shockingly effective as suppressing fire.

Watch my shitty videos

This is so ghetto but so awesome.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hopper, blowgun, automatic, full-auto, how-to, stan, sten

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users