Feedback Starting on 3rd Page!

51 replies to this topic

#26 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 11:13 AM

If anyone can make any surplus stefans, it would be a big help if you could sell them at the war.

What foam brand?
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#27 Zorns Lemma

Zorns Lemma

Sir Scrt

• Moderators
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 04:54 PM

If anyone can make any surplus stefans, it would be a big help if you could sell them at the war.

Ice9 says he's willing to help out here. Our darts are made with foam that are tight in CPVC, perfect in 1/2" ID tube, and slide slowly in OMC thickwall PETG. They are around 1.25" long.

We will have slug, 3/0 darts, and single and double bb darts available.
"In short, the same knowledge that underlies the ability to produce correct judgement is also the knowledge that underlies the ability to recognize correct judgement. To lack the former is to be deficient in the latter."
Kruger and Dunning (1999)

#28 Mehku

Mehku

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 05:07 PM

Ice9 says he's willing to help out here. Our darts are made with foam that are tight in CPVC, perfect in 1/2" ID tube, and slide slowly in OMC thickwall PETG. They are around 1.25" long.

We will have slug, 3/0 darts, and single and double bb darts available.

Alright, sweet! Now I just to finish my BBB... @ Carbon: Generally I have noticed that CPVC-fitting foam works the best with the general populace around here. I would say that ace foam would be good.

Posted Image

Edited by Mehku, 13 March 2010 - 05:10 PM.

#29 Ryan201821

Ryan201821

Prince Edward

• Contributors
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 08:00 PM

Yo Mehku. Are you ever on the ning? I sent you a message about your darts you already purchased. Apparently USPS says your address that was provided by your PayPal account, doesn't exist.

Also, Powerball or DTC won't make it most likely. I can bring one or the other. I probably won't have room for both with all out giant PVC guns. Do you guys have a preference over which game I should bring?

Edited by Ryan201821, 13 March 2010 - 08:08 PM.

#30 Mehku

Mehku

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 08:17 PM

Yo Mehku. Are you ever on the ning? I sent you a message about your darts you already purchased. Apparently USPS says your address that was provided by your PayPal account, doesn't exist.

Also, Powerball or DTC won't make it most likely. I can bring one or the other. I probably won't have room for both with all out giant PVC guns. Do you guys have a preference over which game I should bring?

Wow, USPS is fucking retarded. I need to consult Hummer about the Powerball and defend the core round. I'll PM you about it.

EDIT: Saw your message. Yeah, just hand them to me at MANO. Thanks.

Edited by Mehku, 13 March 2010 - 08:25 PM.

#31 Ryan201821

Ryan201821

Prince Edward

• Contributors
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 08:32 PM

Don't PM me, because you can't. Just post it here.

#32 koree

koree

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 02:50 PM

I'll be road tripping with Beaver. See you all saturday.

#33 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 03:20 PM

Beaver and koree? Sweeeeet.

And Ryan, If you can bring the Core, I can grab 5 gallon buckets...I have scads of them at my place. Been used a bit, but fine for Nerfing.

#34 Ryan201821

Ryan201821

Prince Edward

• Contributors
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 03:28 PM

Cool, yo. I do not have the necessary balls though. Most of them are missing. So we'll have to do something about that.

I will be bringing the core.

#35 hummer

hummer

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 10:17 PM

Ok, so I ran out to the site, and all snow has melted, only the lowest parts are muddy (no puddles best I could see) otherwise, just a tiny bit damp.
Into the fires of battle!
Onto the anvil of war!
QUOTE(BustaNinja @ Nov 23 2010, 04:09 PM) View Post

He parkours over flat land while yelling tactical orders at no one. Demon Lord is the most legit ballsy nerfer of all time.

#36 Mehku

Mehku

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 03:12 PM

Here's the weather report for Saturday:

High: 39 degrees
Low: 30 degrees

Precipitation: 40% in the day, 60% at night
Wind: From NE at 17 MPH

Showers are predicted and it will be cold, so bring appropriate clothing. Snow will not be on the ground, but the ground will be WET. Wear crappy/old shoes.

You know what? Fuck the weather. We'll still have a good time. The rain will just make it even more Effeminate.

EDIT: We will now have snow on the ground; I looked at the updated forecast. Bring boots just in case.

Edited by Mehku, 18 March 2010 - 05:06 PM.

#37 hummer

hummer

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 08:56 PM

You know what? Fuck the weather. We'll still have a good time. The rain will just make it even more Effeminate.

Imagine 300 or Two Towers...that sort of Effeminate rain. Although I do have an inkling that there won't be any.
Onto the anvil of war!

He parkours over flat land while yelling tactical orders at no one. Demon Lord is the most legit ballsy nerfer of all time.

#38 hummer

hummer

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 12:22 PM

Well the war is tommorrow and aperently the forcast is making me eat my own words, but irregaurdless, I'll try and bring some towel/blankets.
Onto the anvil of war!

#39 Mehku

Mehku

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 05:56 PM

I would bring both your boots and running shoes just in case of either scenario. I can't stress how important boots are though, so bring them or be sorry.

Pack your shit and lets kick some ass tomorrow!

Edited by Mehku, 19 March 2010 - 08:13 PM.

#40 Demon Lord

Demon Lord

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 08:33 PM

If anyone wants a change of pace (and since Ryan currently fails) I have buckets marked for TPB and the required painted balls needed to play which I will be bringing.
QUOTE(VACC @ Mar 7 2011, 09:03 AM) View Post

Don't worry so much about what other people will allow. Throw your own wars and kick your friends' asses until they all want one.

#41 louiec3

louiec3

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 08:35 PM

Who needs boots when you have football cleats!
I'm bringing John only Nick can't come (family function) and there is one of my delicious cookie cakes in the oven right now. I love having my birthday.

Edited by louiec3, 19 March 2010 - 10:52 PM.

#42 hummer

hummer

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 05:27 AM

Final weather update - There is a frost-like layer of snow, but it has stoped snowing for the most part, enough to make it wet/look kinda cool. It's still kinda cold at this hour though, bring a jacket. See you all in a little bit :)

Edit: Snow has started up again :/

Edited by hummer, 20 March 2010 - 07:31 AM.

Onto the anvil of war!

#43 Mehku

Mehku

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 06:18 AM

GRAB YOUR GUNZ BECAUSE ITS TIME TO FUCK SHIT UUUUPP

Edited by Mehku, 20 March 2010 - 06:21 AM.

#44 Mehku

Mehku

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 10:00 PM

Wow...the war was awesome. Thanks to all of you who traveled to come; it was a blast nerfing with you guys.

Pros:
-Finally was able to commission a +Bow from Louic3
-The zombie round was awesome. BRAAAAAAIINNSSS.......
-Finally got a group photo (see below)
-Didn't rain
-Getting to use a +bow and a tornadobow for the first time in a round
-The HAMP. I don't think I need to say more.
-Louics's nomtastic birthday cookie cake
-Seeing a toaster attached to a longshot. ......I'm not joking.
-Meeting everybody.

Cons:
-Rules could of been coordinated better
-Team Powerball was fun at first, but it just started to drag on.
-I discovered that I really need to rebreech my longshot.
-BBB broke before the war started.

Some Photos:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

More pictures are on the Midwest Nerf Conglomerate.

#45 Zorns Lemma

Zorns Lemma

Sir Scrt

• Moderators
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 11:32 PM

Everyone was pretty relaxed and laid back, which meant the rounds were a bit slow, but it was always enjoyable. The location is great, but perhaps choice of field could be expanded. It felt like a lot of great area was left untouched, especially the wooded slopes. Too many people were crammed into a fairly small open field. But besides these small things, I really enjoyed the war overall and how casual it was. I look forward to seeing a summer war hosted around here, as it seems like a much more central location to gather most of the midwest.

Edited by Zorn's Lemma, 21 March 2010 - 12:30 AM.

"In short, the same knowledge that underlies the ability to produce correct judgement is also the knowledge that underlies the ability to recognize correct judgement. To lack the former is to be deficient in the latter."
Kruger and Dunning (1999)

#46 louiec3

louiec3

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 09:52 AM

Awesome war.

+Got to meet a lot of people
+Best assault game ever Thanks to the Mega HAMP.
"Fire Damn it!"
+HVZ was amazing
+The snow melting
+Toaster...
+None of my guns broke except my super clip.
+Longshot preformed awesomely
+Good trades
+Melee rounds were cool when people weren't swinging like assholes.
+So many longshots...

-too much down time between rounds
-It is still cold
-losing a lot of darts
-powerball was a stalemate

#47 hummer

hummer

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 12:03 PM

Thank you all for comin, I had a great time! I feel honored that people from both Illinois and Minnesota showed up. I'll see you guys at Cataclysm! Mehku and I will try to get a date/place nailed for MANO 2 soon
Onto the anvil of war!

#48 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 02:54 PM

That was a lot of fun, definitely worth the long drive. You guys are fun to nerf with.

Thoughts:
  • Great turnout. Good to see Ryan, Zorn, Carbon, Demon Lord, and Shorts there.
  • I liked the field a lot.
  • I’m glad that people used my Tornadobow. I think it was used in every round of the day.
  • I really liked Zorn's +PASbow thingy, and louiec3's redesigned +bow.
  • Powerball worked well on the first try (I was expecting everyone to be all confused).
  • Defend the Core was sort of lame. Some wars it's awesome, some wars its lame.
  • It was cold and windy. I was prepared for it, but wasn't expecting it to be as bad as it was.
  • The cold made everyone's blasters shoot crappy. Which, ironically, made the game more fast-paced.
  • Using my +bow for several rounds was sort of a dick move on my part….
  • …. but shooting Zorn over and over with it was funny. I was totally gunning for you, dude.
  • The premier of the MegaHAMP was as momentous as I expected. Nerf history being made!
  • As expected, I went home with zero darts.
  • Mekhu shoots left handed, which amuses me.
And now a rant:
After seeing them in action, several of the Milwaukee crew expressed interest in acquiring +bows. As a product of the Minnesota/Chicago arms race, I have had the pleasure of using many of the most advanced and war-effective Nerf blaster ever made. Superguns have a certain wow factor to them, but before you shell out big money for them, realize that money doesn't buy happiness. The hard truth is that you'll probably have more fun at a nerf war running around like a maniac with a recon or a nitefinder than you will standing around taking potshots with your awesome +bow. Here is some consumer advice, from a nerfer who spent a lot of money on fancy blasters, and regrets it:
  • If you want a reliable, long-range blaster, I would recommend building or buying atomatron's style of singled longhots (description, and sales thread). It gets ranges similar to a +bow (We've tested it at between 110-120ft), and the reload time is very fast. It’s a fun blaster to use, and is durable as hell. atomatron and I have used it in about 10 or so wars over the last 6 months, and I've always been impressed by its effectiveness.
  • If you want an inexpensive, long-range blaster, get a Big Blast. They will generally out-range every other blaster on the field, but reloading and pumping takes a very long time if you use a speedloader or a breach. RSCB systems and hoppers can be used with almost no range penalty. They are quite durable, but you must reinforce the trigger.
  • If you want an inexpensive, long-range blaster, but can’t find a Big Blast, then consider a Big Bad Bow or a Hand Cannon. Ranges are not near as good as a Big Blast, but both have the advantage quick priming.
  • If you want the most effective blaster that money can buy, commission a +bow from Ryan, and use a speedloading hopper clip on it. It out-ranges everything, it can load more darts than anything, the cycle time between shots incredibly fast, it is very easy to use, and is very reliable. They out-class other nerf blasters to such an extreme degree that they break the game.
  • If you want an exceptional blaster that isn’t a +bow, and are willing to spend a lot of money, commission a rear-loading SM1.5k from Ryan. They shoot very hard, and have a good ROF. They are also very reliable and easy to use. Rear-loading AT3k’s are theoretically better, but I think SM1.5ks are more effective overall.
  • If you don’t know what you want, buy a Pistol Splat. They’re tiny, but pack a great punch. A speedloader will give you plenty of range and ROF. If I could only have one blaster, I would choose a Splat. Every arsenal should have one.
  • Don’t buy a crossbow, not at today’s prices.
  • Don’t make a Doomsayer. They sound great on paper, but are generally unreliable and prone to breakage.
  • Don’t make an Angel Breached Longshot. As with Doomsayers, they are unreliable and prone to breakage.
  • Do make SNAPs. They’re fun, and you’ll learn a lot from the process.
Your millage may vary. There are a lot of blasters that sounds good on paper, but which doesn’t work well in a real war. As a corollary, there are a lot of blasters that are very effective but are not very fun. Try a lot of different stuff, experiment with mods, go crazy. But at the end of the day, ask yourself: did I have fun using this blaster? If you didn’t, that blaster sucks. If you did, that blaster is awesome.

Mekhu and hummer, thanks for hosting this. I’ll try to make it down to the next one.

Edited by Daniel Beaver, 21 March 2010 - 11:32 PM.

#49 Ryan201821

Ryan201821

Prince Edward

• Contributors
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 06:34 PM

Great war, guys. A good start off to the new year. Thanks to everyone for coming out.

+Not a 6 hour drive
+Good group of nerfers
+Meeting some new peeps
+MN and other IL guys
+Mega HAMP was a success
+All of my guns working poorly due to dart/barrel fit
+All of my guns breaking
+Kane's new HAMP
+Mehku and hummer being great hosts
+Snow instead of rain

Everyone's guns were shooting quite poorly do to the cold weather. It created fast paced, close-quarters nerfing which was a lot of fun. Hopefully some of you guys can make the trip to MN next weekend.

#50 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 11:55 PM

I know it was a good day of Nerfing when I ache horribly the next day.

I think one of my favorite parts about the day was the old school, hacked together vibe about it. Mods and homemades have been getting more and more refined in recent months, but Saturday was a throwback. Duct tape was out in force, crazy/weird mods were in play (TOASTER!), and Kane's HAMPs showed that you don't need anything fancy to make an awesome nerf gun that doesn't feel unfair. Between that and the cold weather really keeping ranges down, it was a close-quarter, less-than-accurate, hella fun day.

Great war, hummer and Mehku, they keep getting better and better. Looking forward to the summer, and playing that area without snow on the ground.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users