Photo

Jlego's Hybrid Breech System (somewhat Picture Heavy)

With modular knobs!

29 replies to this topic

#1 Jlego

Jlego

One Armed Clan

• Moderators
  • 252 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 02:39 PM

I’m not a huge fan of breeches, although I’ve never really used one in a war. However, I got a good idea to make one, so I decided to make it and post a write up. So here we are.

To help get the idea of what this is, here’s a link to an LARGE cross section image of what this breech looks like. It’s pretty High res, or I’d just imbed it here.
This beautiful png right here!
The idea is that it’s a breech that can be used with high volume springers. I’ve been using 5” of 17/32” nested in PETG with amazing results in my xbow’s speedloader, but unfortunately with a breech you can’t really twist the dart in. So with 1” of unconstricted 9/16” before the 17/32” you can push the dart 1” into the 17/32” if you’re using shorter darts that 2” there could definitely be some adjustments made. If people are interested, I can make a plan like the above for 1.5” darts or whatever, just ask.

To make this, you will need:
A dremel – don’t even bother if you don’t have one
A rubber mallet – this is the only good way I’ve found to nest petg over 17/32” brass
Utility knife
Duct tape or painters tape
Sandpaper (I used 400 and 600 grit)

8.5” of PVC (not sure if it’s just my PVC, but 19/32” brass makes a perfect seal inside my pvc, this is important)
4.5” of 19/32” brass
4.5” of 9/16” brass
4” or 5” of 17/32 brass (it doesn’t really matter all that much, really)
A foot section of PETG (medium wall I think? Whatever.)
A small section (only like ¼”) of 3/8” brass
A single aluminum standoff, such as the kind used to make a +bow
JB weld glue or superglue

First off, you can prep your PVC for being breech-ified by cutting out a bit of duct tape to be the same size as the hole you want to have for the dart slot, in this case 2.5”x1.375”. then put it on the pvc exactly where the hole should be, 1” from the back in this case. Then outline it on the edge of the duct tape with a permanent marker, as pictured below. Then remove it, also pictured below. Use this marking as a guideline for dremeling a dart slot.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Then repeat that for where the bolt will be, as shown below, this time with the duct tape being .375” wide and 3.375” long.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Once this is cut, also use the sanding barrel of the dremel to make a point for the bolt to lock into at the back, as shown below. The thinner of the sanding barrels is close to 3/8”, which is a nice coincidence.You can sand down any sharp corners on the PVC a bit with the 400 grit sandpaper, but I suggest doing it by hand as any power sanding will take off way too much. What it should look like after all that:
Posted Image

Now, you want to take your 4.5” of 19/32” and use something like a ½” steel rod or drill bit to flare out one end just enough so that it fits perfectly in the pvc (assuming it doesn’t) and flare out the other side just a bit more, but not too much, put the less flared end into the back of the breech and lightly hammer it into the back of the breech until you have this:
Posted Image

Then do what you will with the dremel to cut that piece of brass into the same slot shape as the PVC it’s nested inside. Make sure to use some of that nice 400 grit sandpaper to take off the brass’s sharp edges on the inside, and finish it with the 600 grit if you have it.

Now you want to take your section of 17/32” brass, and nest it as much as you can by hand, and then stick it inside a longer section of pvc, vertically with the brass on the bottom as shown:
Posted Image
Then hit that bitch with your rubber mallet, figure a:
Posted Image
Swing your mallet hard, but carefully, and give it a solid hit. Doing this carefully is important, when you make contact make sure the mallet’s head is even on the top, if you hit the PETG on one side more than another, there’s a good possibility you’ll bend it real bad or crack it. Repeat the beatings until only 2.5” or so of the brass is exposed. Mark the PETG with a marker 3” up from the back of the brass. Also mark the 4.5” of 9/16” ½” from an edge, both pictured below.
Posted Image

Now comes some fun, you want to drill 2 tiny holes 1/8” apart at the 3” up mark on the PETG you just made, only you DON’T want to go into the 17/32”.Tthen use a utility knife to cut the long way around the PETG and down towards the brass so you have a 1/8” strip of just PETG, as always, as shown below. Throw away that piece of PETG, it’s not needed again.
Posted Image

Now drill 2 holes 1/8” apart like you just did on the PETG, but at that .5” mark on the 9/16”. Then use your dremel to cut it the same way as you cut the PETG. This piece of brass can also be discarded.
Posted Image

This is pretty much what it’s going to look like lined all up together right now. Also in this picture are the ¼” spacer you’re going to want, and the ¼” section of 3/8” brass. Both of those, it’s important to dremel down one side to have the same radius as the PETG (approximately, since that is what it gets glued to and you want them to be flush with the surface they’re being glued to).
Posted Image
~Jaxon of the LGLF

Gears: Ice9 and I have a relationship similar to that of myself and Jax.
liska: You snuggles?
Gears: The nerfers most likely to engage in a threesome.

I've seen you use an arrowstorm!!

#2 Jlego

Jlego

One Armed Clan

• Moderators
  • 252 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 02:44 PM

Now insert the 9/16” brass so it’s nested in the 19/32” with the little extra bit lined up with the bolt channel. Bend the 1/8” tooth of brass up at a right angle to the breech. Shockingly, I have pictures of that, too.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Then insert the brass/PETG piece so that it nests into the 9/16”, and bend the 1/8” bit of PETG to line up against the brass piece.
Posted Image

Now put the section of 3/8” brass over those two 1/8” pieces and throw the ¼” spacer in there with some JB weld or superglue on its bottom as well. Then fill the surrounding gaps with more of the same glue of your choice. It most likely won’t look as pretty as the rest, but if it holds, who gives a crap.
Posted Image
Posted Image

And now that that bit is done, open the breech a little bit, and measure from the back of the 9/16” to wherever on the PETG for how long you want your barrel, mine shown here is 12”, but you can make a 14” or 16” barrel if you’re careful with everything else. This should work very well for anyone who wants a 16” breech on their +bow… obviously, cut the PETG at that point and sand/finish it the way you normally do. Shown here:
Posted Image

So if you followed all this, you have a pretty bitching breech. But what’s that? You say you want a more comfortable bolt handle/knob? Well that’s pretty funny, because there’s totally a ¼” spacer there that takes the screws that plenty of people have left over from making their +bows! I used a 3/8” tall bit of nylon with one of those screws through it, and it’s pretty damn comfy, I can’t lie. Here is the finished product, with this lovely nylon handle.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Originally I had a different plan to keep the spacer in place, but it was awkward and very easy to break the important bit of brass. Here’s a link to the picture that explains what the original idea was, if any of you are interested.
Few plans survive the battlefield

A couple notes:
First, the JB weld I used was at least a couple years old, and had been sitting in my basement for a good couple years, and it didn’t quite cure right. So when it stated lifting up, I squeezed a bit of superglue under it and clamped it in place to dry. A nuisance, but it works great despite the silly quick fix.
Second, this is beautifully airtight, but sometimes it’s a little bit stiff. Hasn’t been a problem so far, but I preemptively sprayed the moving bits with silicone spray and worked it into there by opening and closing the breech repeatedly. It’s smooth like butter at this point.

Hope you like it! Post one here if you make one, I’d love to know that someone else has had success of any kind. Any questions or suggestions?

Edit:
It also seems to work reasonably well for high output airguns, so i figured i'd throw up another pic or 2
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Thanks for the great responses guys, I'm glad you all seem to like it! I'll answer questions when i have a bit more free time!

Edited by Jlego, 24 October 2009 - 03:56 PM.

~Jaxon of the LGLF

#3 Merzlin

Merzlin

• Members
  • 589 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 02:58 PM

Haha, dude, that's just beautiful. I need to make me one of those soon!

#4 fallinouttadabox

fallinouttadabox

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 03:05 PM

Your cuts are just perfect, I am unreasonably impressed.
fallinouttadabox (intentionally lowercase): sometimes you want to be somewhere between thinking in the box and thinking out of the box. Trust me, I would know.

#5 cheesypiza001

cheesypiza001

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 03:07 PM

Posted Image

Damn...............This is the best looking breech I have ever seen. How did you make the cuts so smooth?

#6 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 03:24 PM

Oh my fucking god this is awesome. Just... wow. Yeah, those cuts are amazing. And the handle... it actually won't break off now.

#7 rork

rork

• Members
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 03:42 PM

Yep, you could out-dremel me with one arm tied behind your back.
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20296" target="_blank">SNAPbow Mk. V</a>
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20409" target="_blank">Make it pump-action</a>

#8 Coop

Coop

#sogoodmuchtacticswowinit2winit360noscopehax0rleetbeastmodeactiv

• Members
  • 775 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 03:46 PM

One word could describe this breech: Sex.

Nice job man! This is remarkably clean.

On the other hand, the guy who posted before me used the word 'fuck' a lot so he probably knows what he's talking about.

#9 HOTH

HOTH

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 557 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 03:47 PM

Awesome, just awesome. How do ranges compare to a standard barrel, or even a simple brass or petg breech?
My YouTube

Solved the Rubik's Cube in 46 seconds

"Nobody understands quantum mechanics" - Richard Feynman

#10 slowguitarman

slowguitarman

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 03:58 PM

Read what it says below his name. He did do this with only one arm.

Jlego, this is bloody good work. I thought I was pretty slick with a Dremel, but you did a very nice job on that PVC cutting.
Your dreams were tight like a baby

SGM's Shred Shop -Mod Service

NerfHaven's resident drama queen.

#11 Eh Watt

Eh Watt

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 04:03 PM

Now that is a very professional looking breech. The cuts are just perfect, as outtabox said. I will probably take this into account when designing my breech. And, as cheesy said, how do you make your cuts so smooth? is it the sandpaper? Anyways, great work, man!
John Hancock

#12 rork

rork

• Members
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 04:24 PM

Slowguitarman, that is what we call a "joke"--that is, an attempt to elicit "humor" via such mechanisms as calling subtle attention to the ironic fact that while I cannot copy it, this beautiful piece of work was made by hand, by a guy with one motherfucking ARM, which bespeaks of both considerable skill on Jlego's part, and a lack of finesse on my own.

Come to think of it, there are hundreds of books, films, and websites where you can learn about "humor" for yourself. So get ready for a whole new, exciting world that you've clearly never acquainted yourself with.
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20296" target="_blank">SNAPbow Mk. V</a>
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20409" target="_blank">Make it pump-action</a>

#13 Mr BadWrench

Mr BadWrench

• Members
  • 781 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 04:45 PM

Way to go SGM for ruining the funniest comment I have ever seen on a chat forum by forcing someone to explain it to you.

Lego, that is titys and beer... do you dehorn the edges with a knife or just sand?

Don
NerfChat IRC Chatroom Click to chat!

#14 Jlego

Jlego

One Armed Clan

• Moderators
  • 252 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 04:51 PM

The key to making cuts that smooth is good prep work, a steady hand, and a table mounted vice so your work isn't going ANYWHERE. Also cleaning it up with that really high grit sandpaper takes some time, but it's absolutely worth it.

I don't really bother with ranges, but maybe I'll post some when the rain quits here.
Suffice it to say it works as well as any other barrel I have, partly because my darts fit it just right.

Read what it says below his name. He did do this with only one arm.

Jlego, this is bloody good work. I thought I was pretty slick with a Dremel, but you did a very nice job on that PVC cutting.

Slowguitarman, that is what we call a "joke"--that is, an attempt to elicit "humor" via such mechanisms as calling subtle attention to the ironic fact that while I cannot copy it, this beautiful piece of work was made by hand, by a guy with one motherfucking ARM, which bespeaks of both considerable skill on Jlego's part, and a lack of finesse on my own.

Come to think of it, there are hundreds of books, films, and websites where you can learn about "humor" for yourself. So get ready for a whole new, exciting world that you've clearly never acquainted yourself with.

Now you two, I won't have this in my thread, yes I am missing my left forearm, but that's not really the subject of this thread. Humor is appreciated, as you can ask any of my clan members (OH THE STORIES I COULD SHARE), but this isn't the place for it. I'm not offended, but stick to the topic folks, take it to pms if you feel like continuing a pointless argument.

<3
~Jaxon of the LGLF

#15 Lt Stefan

Lt Stefan

• Members
  • 892 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 05:48 PM

What bit did you use in the dremel? And it's not the cuts that are so smooth... it's just that they are so straight.... How'd you do that?

#16 white moonlight

white moonlight

• Members
  • 305 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 10:09 PM

Masterful, Truly Masterful.

Every single cut in that breech is percision.
There are no rough edges, and it is a functional breech.

I need to make myself one absolutely amazing job.
On his trec to Colonfest...
VengefulWaffle BOY, 12 KILLED IN MOUNTAIN PASS BY WILD RACCON, EXPERTS SAY HE ATTEMPTED TO HOLD IT OFF WITH NERF NITEFINDERS
POLICE SAY: ALCOHOL MAY HAVE BEEN INVOLVED
Guess who he was talking about...

#17 Vengeful Waffle

Vengeful Waffle

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 10:49 PM

This made me laugh.

Fucking awesome job, JLego. I'd imagine that this breech would not work very well with Zero's?
I'm a runner, and I like to run.

[18:46] <+Famine> With the cock ring coming out the back of it?

#18 thedarksideofnerf

thedarksideofnerf

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 12:51 AM

Dam !!!!
Also what bit do you use in your dremal.
<death09>my girlfriend broke up with me and sent me pix of her and her new boyfriend in bed
<ktp753>ouch.
<death09>yeah.i sent them to her dad

#19 Zorns Lemma

Zorns Lemma

Sir Scrt

• Moderators
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 04:52 AM

What bit did you use in the dremel? And it's not the cuts that are so smooth... it's just that they are so straight.... How'd you do that?

Using a better or more expensive bit won't immediately confer higher skill with machine tools.
"In short, the same knowledge that underlies the ability to produce correct judgement is also the knowledge that underlies the ability to recognize correct judgement. To lack the former is to be deficient in the latter."
Kruger and Dunning (1999)

#20 Fome

Fome

• Banned
  • 312 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 05:15 PM

Using a better or more expensive bit won't immediately confer higher skill with machine tools.

Stating the obvious...

The question remains: How/what tool did you use to make such clean cuts?
Awesome work, by the way!

#21 Lucian

Lucian

• Members
  • 446 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 06:22 PM

Are you sure you didn't use a router?

Sick job by the way!

Contact me for design consultation relating to 3D Printing, CNC Machining, and Laser Cutting. I am always happy to collaborate on viable Open Source projects and/or business ventures. 

#22 carlough

carlough

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 09:57 PM

I think I pissed myself just looking at it.

On another note, wonderfull. I almost cried.
RAZZLE FRAZZLE TO THE EXTREME!!!

#23 Lt Stefan

Lt Stefan

• Members
  • 892 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 11:38 PM

I realize that. I just wanted to know what he used. No cutting wheel could do the curved lines like that.

#24 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 11:40 PM

I realize that. I just wanted to know what he used. No cutting wheel could do the curved lines like that.

Read harder. He also used a sanding drum.

#25 Lt Stefan

Lt Stefan

• Members
  • 892 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 03:37 PM

I know the sanding drum. Did he use a drill bit?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users