taerKitty's Content

There have been 718 items by taerKitty (Search limited from 18-December 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#306999 Variation on Medic game type

Posted by taerKitty on 05 November 2011 - 06:06 PM in General Nerf

We call it 'Witch Doctor' when the Medic can revive either sides' members to add to his ranks.

#243250 August Olympia War

Posted by taerKitty on 22 July 2009 - 10:41 PM in Nerf Wars

I'd have to pass. I have a very limited radius, and Marymoor is within it, but anyplace outside of the East Side and maybe Seattle/West Seattle would be beyond my range. Still, start one, and good luck! I wish I could, but I can't.

#304583 SLANG sept war

Posted by taerKitty on 11 September 2011 - 03:23 PM in Nerf Wars

Wish I could be there - it'd give me reason to try cooking up some gumdrop heads!

#306045 BBB question

Posted by taerKitty on 16 October 2011 - 10:00 PM in General Nerf

Any other site, I'd give you a more helpful answer, but that's not the way things are done here.

Go ahead and cut it off. If you ruin your blaster, you've learned a lesson.

Or, look at the internals pics and see if you can figure out why they decided to waste the money to cast that chunk of the blaster.

Do your own research, and come back to tell us what you learned.

#306055 BBB question

Posted by taerKitty on 16 October 2011 - 11:35 PM in General Nerf

Please let us know how it turns out.

#297738 anybody want an actual AZ nerf war

Posted by taerKitty on 30 April 2011 - 09:59 PM in Nerf Wars

You may wan to read this post before proceeding...

#312666 I was hacked on NH...

Posted by taerKitty on 10 March 2012 - 10:01 AM in Site Feedback

I think it was established the last time someone found a security issue that the standard operating policy when a potential security issue is discovered is to PM the admins, not to post it. The last time, it was replicable, but there's nothing to say it isn't this time as well.

If you haven't PMed Langley, please do so now.

#236393 Fbr

Posted by taerKitty on 15 June 2009 - 09:07 AM in Modifications

The Where To Buy Modding Materials, Where to get, and where not to get topic addresses this in the very first post.

FBR: Called "Caulk Saver" in USA. At your local Lowes, and sometimes Home Depot.

#305222 Search Only By Username in a Thread?

Posted by taerKitty on 01 October 2011 - 12:41 AM in Site Feedback

It's most likely pilot error, then. Apologies for the wasted bits.

#305013 Search Only By Username in a Thread?

Posted by taerKitty on 26 September 2011 - 11:36 AM in Site Feedback

Okay, this will sound stupid, but I can't figure out how to search a thread for all posts by a given user.

The thread in question is the Mod/PJ thread. I'm looking for all of a given user's posts to show a friend his quality of work. I don't know of a particular 'thumbprint' for only his posts, or even one that is common to all his posts. Searching within a thread by a phrase doesn't match against usernames, only against text in the posts themselves.

Does this version of the forum support that type of search?

#305015 Search Only By Username in a Thread?

Posted by taerKitty on 26 September 2011 - 01:13 PM in Site Feedback

I feel stupid, but then tried it and it's not giving me all his posts. The user in question in 'Broderick' (hi, B!) - clicking on the gear did bring me to a search form that allowed me to search by user, but it's the forum-level search. Even limiting it to 'modifications' didn't allow me to search only the Mods/PJ thread - it gave me all threads he replied to in the Modifications forum.

I'm beginning to think this isn't a supported scenario, but I've not admined this back-end to be sure.

#238407 Which One?

Posted by taerKitty on 24 June 2009 - 03:18 PM in General Nerf

1/2" PVC will take Tagger foam well, but not tagger heads. If you use CDTD's, they'll work fine, but that's pretty much a stefan, and requires BBs/slingshot ammo, etc.

If all you have is 1/2" PVC, you can muzzle-load it, up to the dart head.

Sched 80 1/2" CPVC will take tagger (and suction-cup Micro darts) perfectly, muzzle, ramrodded or breech-loaded.

#238438 Which One?

Posted by taerKitty on 24 June 2009 - 05:48 PM in General Nerf

I just remember answering the same barrel question here. The salient points are:

Short form: depends on what you're shooting: micros, streamlines, stefans all get different recommendations.

#295737 Fbr Question

Posted by taerKitty on 10 March 2011 - 03:11 PM in General Nerf

Most shops don't sell FBR. Home improvement stores sell it, but as caulking filler. People get coloured stuff by ordering from manufacturers.

Glue domes take practice. Or, you can cheat and use a mold. :)

Recons suck in general. They suck worse when trying to use stefans/slugs.

#239870 Soldier Front

Posted by taerKitty on 02 July 2009 - 06:44 PM in Off Topic

is it a pc/mac game? :huh:

http://sfront.ijji.com/ has all the details.

"Use the search, Luke" applies to the Web as a whole, not just NH.

#305159 Death Match Elimination with Revive

Posted by taerKitty on 29 September 2011 - 03:47 PM in Nerf Wars

I forgot the name, but there is already a gametype that is exactly that - if you're hit, you're out, but you come back in when whomever hits you is out.

#238740 Quick Question: Linking Trigger

Posted by taerKitty on 26 June 2009 - 11:54 AM in Modifications

Alright guys thanks guys. IT's a bit too late, but thanks.

For those who care, I'm working for the Canadian military for the next 6 weeks... SO will not be able to see the forum during that time.

You should have posted something worth a one-month ban, just to get it out of your system. :)

Back to the mod - anything that doesn't require pliers (and ideally a vise) to bend will likely unbend, unless we're talking esoteric memory metals, etc. I'm talking stupid plain metal, because I'm a stupid plain kitty.

I've found few household items that have decent strength enough to work like this. This especially includes our favourite standby, clothes hanger wire. I did encounter an exception with the metal cross bar of a plastic hanger, the kind that has clothespins for skirts or pants attached to said bar.

You're better off going to a hardware store and looking for stiff wire. My local Ace has an assortment next to the brass bins.

#240565 Longshot Help! Please.

Posted by taerKitty on 06 July 2009 - 10:57 PM in Modifications

The plunger tube has a small post (1/4" or so in length) protruding from the side, near the front. That goes in a divot on the right half of the shell. That should give you a start on the orientation.

#276804 Gasworks And Lincoln Park Wars In Seattle

Posted by taerKitty on 04 June 2010 - 11:27 AM in Nerf Wars

Yes, good to see another PNW Nerfer. I'm on the Eastside and radially impaired, so I won't be seeing you this weekend, but do have a few discussion points, if that's not too off-topic:
  • It's not the park closing that concerns me. It's some family who was planning on using the same patch of ground for a picnic, seeing a bunch of camo'ed Nerfers waving around orange-tipped blaster and getting irked that their plans have to change that may cause grief. Well, not exactly them, but the subsequent complaint to the aforementioned authorities, etc.
  • If you're using stock foam, you'll probably be engaging at 30 feet or less. Yes, a dart can make 50 or 60 feet out of a nicely modded NF or TTG, but at that point you're lobbing them at an angle, so it's more spray-and-pray than anything else. In contrast, an NF tuned for stefans probably has an effective range of 50+ feet, leading to those using stock foam feeling under-ranged and frustrated.
  • In regards to the Lincoln Park outing, a few more weeks' notice would help those of us not in Seattle proper arrange our schedule. I know it's hard to do, especially with our mercurial weather, so I'm just suggesting, not even asking. (And I'll try to make the Gasworks one, but chances are as slim as a sunny day here.)
I realize hosting a war is a lot of work, and I'm not trying to tear you down. I appreciate anything that builds the community, and really regret not being able to make it. Hope you and everyone there have a lot of fun!

#237446 Hornet Madness

Posted by taerKitty on 19 June 2009 - 03:37 PM in Modifications

What do you mean my "the OPRV"? I tried a bunch of things but it still doesn't work!

Over Pressure Release Valve.

#299648 What Happened?

Posted by taerKitty on 10 June 2011 - 10:43 AM in Off Topic

You're still an FNG in my eyes if you think that post count means jack shit.

#308372 Why isnt there a longshot thread?

Posted by taerKitty on 17 December 2011 - 07:17 PM in General Nerf

The NR thread previously mentioned isn't just Q&A. However, it's rather gauche to extoll another site here, so if the OP is interested, he should just go and see.

As for this site, starting one is an option, but may cost mod/admin goodwill. I'm sure some searching will show the other, locked threads. Usually, the mod/admin locking the thread will post the reason, however snarky. (That is assuming the thread isn't already too dumb to let live in the first place.)

#301458 TEPAW 3: Recap thread/improvements!

Posted by taerKitty on 13 July 2011 - 08:50 AM in Nerf Wars

I'd love to see any pics if you have 'em.

#308388 Getting out and Getting things Resolved

Posted by taerKitty on 18 December 2011 - 04:21 AM in Off Topic

Take care of yourself. The NIC will be around when you get things sorted. And, you're not alone in facing shit like this.

#307416 Titan Barrel

Posted by taerKitty on 15 November 2011 - 11:13 PM in General Nerf

Righty-tightie, lefty-loosey.

You may break the tabs (who cares?), but if you just gorilla-force it, it'll come apart. If not, get a friend and go to town. It's only plastic. It'll break.

#234345 Highcap Help

Posted by taerKitty on 04 June 2009 - 08:30 PM in Modifications

Thanks to the Official Internals (thread and cheesypizza001 for the pic.)

Posted Image

As you can see on the left side of the photo, the dart tooth goes in way further than 0.5mm. For reference, a dime is 1mm thick, so it's barely in there at all. I don't have my Recon handy (or even intact), but I think the dart tooth extended at least a quarter-inch into the barrel.

Under the dart tooth is the spring that keeps it in place. Is that spring missing?

Lastly, the dart tooth is up only when the slide is back. When the slide and bolt are in firing position, the dart tooth is supposed to be retracted. I'm guessing you are looking down the barrel with the slide back. If you have the slide fully forward, then 0.5mm may be normal.

#312886 Longshot Mod Questions

Posted by taerKitty on 15 March 2012 - 10:26 AM in Modifications

You can get sheets of foam rubber from craft stores, but they are not adhesive-backed so keeping it in place may be an issue. Maybe double-sided tape? Unsure.

The back end of the bolt that reciprocates in the PT is another option. In one LS, I filled that with Crayola Model Magic and left the PH bare. The biggest pain with that method was to get the excess out of the way, but it was rather minor an effort - just cycle the bolt a few times.

#312882 Longshot Mod Questions

Posted by taerKitty on 15 March 2012 - 09:52 AM in Modifications

Troll much? Comic Sans in the font war... well played.

LOL

Back to the OP: you can use any spring(s) so long as they fit in the PT, over the PR, and at max compression do not exceed the space between the back of the PH and the front of the screwed-on plate.

If you use multiple nested springs, I'd recommend alternating them by direction (clockwise v. counterclockwise) else your springs may interweave instead of nesting.

If you use multiple sequential springs, I'd strongly recommend you use ones with 'closed' ends - the end of the spring's wire lays flat against the next coil or two. This will again keep the springs from intervweaving.

If you up-spring your blaster too much, please consider reinforcing the boltsled. Various writeups exist. Also consider augmenting the catch spring as well.

#281628 Titan Question,

Posted by taerKitty on 29 July 2010 - 10:16 PM in General Nerf

I think I heard TantumBull say it was 30PSI, but if he contradicts me, I'll gladly eat my words.

#249905 Ls Help!

Posted by taerKitty on 07 September 2009 - 10:52 PM in Modifications

Longshots are great to mod if you're going for looks.

They're decent to mod if you're going for range.

They're fun to mod if you're going for ammo capacity (easiest mod? Put a Raider drum in it.)

But they're a bitch and a half if you want to get range and still keep the clip (or drum.)

For example, the bolt sled's inherent design weakness is a natural limit on how powerful a spring you can put in the thing. And the magazine length coupled with bolt throw distance means you have maybe half an inch of mating distance between your chamber and barrel. The stock barrel does more to harm range than it helps accuracy. And if you want to Angel the bolt, you'll have to mod the magazines to use stefans.

It's fun to mod, don't get me wrong. There's lots of space all around it for integrations. It can be made to look very nice, especially if you're into CosPlay or LARPing. But for a n00b, it's going to be either an exploration into frustration, or a broken $30 toy, or both.

===

Here are my suggestions, all of which are detailed in the many other threads on this topic. I'm just sharing my own experience as a n00b modder who started with an Longshot.

- Start with the usual AR removal.

- Follow up with the usual spring addition: I've had very good luck with Home Depot # 684838, a 2-pack of 24.8 lb 7/8" dia. x 4" length x .08" wire thickness springs (with a pair of 44.7 lb(!) 11/16" x 1-1/4" x 0.91" monster-strength mini springs - has anyone found any good use for them?)

- Next, bolt head improvements - adding or replacing the O-ring, adding some Teflon tape, or (if you're truly desperate) wrapping the head with e-tape.

- While you have the bolt separated from the bolt sled, lose the magazine eject lock. With it in place, you can only eject the magazine with the bolt back.

- While you have the bolt sled out, file down the edge of the bolt lock so it provides resistance to the bolt, but doesn't absolutely stop it from being pulled back if you put enough elbow force into it. If you leave the bolt lock off, you will have to keep the bolt forward with your thumb on the cocking knob, otherwise it will be pushed back by the dart tooth.

- Leave the dart tooth in unless you're going to Angel the bolt. If you omit it, you'll get 3 feet of range.

- If you're going for looks, separate the barrel from the LSFG (LS Front Gun) and ream out the barrel collar (labeled 'muzzle' in the picture above) until you can shove the LSFG's barrel through it. Be warned this will decrease your range, so only do this if you're going for looks.

- If you're going for performance, you may want to consider chopping the whole fore-end of the LS off, a.k.a., the Longshot Carbine. You'll be surprised how much range you'll get out of it.

#277241 Alibre Design Xpress Discontinued

Posted by taerKitty on 09 June 2010 - 11:27 AM in Off Topic

Just got this in the mail when I downloaded their Alibre Design basic package:

Date: Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 7:47 AM
Subject: RE: I'm your contact at Alibre - Alibre Design 3D CAD
To: taerkitty <taerkitty@*&#@!!l.com>

Taer,

There is no Alibre Design Xpress anymore. It was replace a little over a month ago by the Personal edition of Alibre Design which is only $99 and includes a fully functional 3d modeling module as well as a basic drawing module. Right now we are including the entire training video suite for free which we normally sell for $149. If you have any questions or would like to take advantage of the current promotion please let me know.

Cyle

So, anyone have any other suggestions for a free/open source CAD package that has equivalent features and ease-of-use? No serialz, please.

#280229 Magstrike Troubles

Posted by taerKitty on 14 July 2010 - 03:27 PM in Modifications

Don't refund it, dude. That's incredibly lame. I'd hate to buy a 'new' blaster only to find out someone phuct up the insides.

#311235 Two quick questions about the Buzzbee Big Blast

Posted by taerKitty on 15 February 2012 - 01:26 AM in Modifications

It's also possible to create your own homemade lever trigger.

#292873 Solvent Welding

Posted by taerKitty on 15 January 2011 - 04:42 PM in General Nerf

PVC (or CPVC)
Plastic pipe primer
PVC or CPVC Cement

oh, and most importantly

lots of ventilation.

#286176 Whipeout Or Pistolsplat? (or Other?)

Posted by taerKitty on 27 September 2010 - 09:38 PM in General Nerf

Uncompressed: 4-1/4" long

OD - 33/64"

Wire Diameter - 1/8"

22 coils, so full compression is 2-3/4"

#279887 Angel Breech Question

Posted by taerKitty on 10 July 2010 - 02:19 AM in Modifications

I asked FA24 the same question - the answer is no, it will only work with stefans.

#242194 Small Question

Posted by taerKitty on 16 July 2009 - 10:09 AM in Modifications

Check out the Guide To Barrel Material thread. It has lists of suppliers, both online and down-the-street.

#307675 Need advice on a Nerf Recon problem

Posted by taerKitty on 22 November 2011 - 10:39 PM in General Nerf

Well, to start with, did it ever work?

What caused the O-ring to break?

My suggestion is to measure the PT ID and bolt OD with a pair of calipers so you have an idea of the right size O-ring, then head to the hardware store and get a replacement.

OTOH, if you were modding it for power and decided it's a lot of trouble, look for Orange Mod Works online and buy their Recon replacement parts kit. It'll cost almost as much as the Recon, but I've heard good things with it.

If you're not willing to drop good money after bad, I don't blame you - it IS a Recon after all.

#233923 Gun To Mod?

Posted by taerKitty on 02 June 2009 - 11:47 AM in Modifications

The best gun to mod for long range, single shot, easy to load and prime. I am not asking for people to think for me, just want more experienced and knowledgable people's opinion before I go blow 40 bucks on a gun and rip it apart.

I'd say do the usual AR removal, extra spring, and cutting down the extra plastic on a Big Bad Bow. If you want to take it to the next 0.25 level, maybe stick a coupler on the muzzle so you can preload some barrels as a 'breech loader.' It meets your specs: single shot, long-ranged and easy to prime.

Another learning path is making your own ammo. Search for 'stephans' and 'how to' and you should find something to do that's a little cheaper and still useful.

Alternately, if you're worried about wasting $40 on a botched mod, go small. Avoid the Firefly and Maverick; get a NightFinder and try one of the dozens of mods out there. They're less than $10 (I'm sure someone will give hard-and-fast figures) and a great starter mod blaster.

Welcome to the NIC - just a word or three of advice:

- Forums have their own 'personalities.' This one is a take-no-prisoners / tell-it-like-it-is place. You don't search, or you ask too open-ended a question, and people will roast you crispy. In this case, you got the 'light' treatment compared to other threads I've seen for this query.

- Don't be defensive. Tone is everything. If anything, err on the side of politeness. The admins run a tight ship and -will- ban you for being a dick, warning optional. Don't count on a warning, in other words - if you got one that means you got real lucky.

- Read the other threads, especially the 'stupid newbie' ones. They'll often end with the offender getting banned. In addition to learning what not to do, you also get a quick idea who the admins are. Hint: I think Sluggy's one, pass it on.

- The code of conduct link is on every page. It's pretty straightforward and, because it's so easy to follow if you're not a dumbass, the admins enforce every rule.

- Nerf is supposed to be an active, dynamic sport. There's a word that is the missing one in this series: Rniper, _niper, Tniper. Use it and the forum turns it to 'loser.' Sure, if you have HTML-fu you can get around it, but that's being a dumbass, and dumbasses don't stay around for very long - by choice or otherwise.

- I'm a new poster, long time reader (as in, over a year on-and-off.) If you follow these simple guidelines, the people here rock - they'll give you good suggestions, honest feedback (whether you want it or not - if you're posting your mod, it's fair game) and have lots of investment in Nerf in general and the Haven in particular.

I'm no expert, but if you have more questions and don't want to risk looking like a dumbass, feel free to PM me.

Welcome to the Haven, hope to see you around.

#251792 Need Some Help With Nf Mod Troubleshooting

Posted by taerKitty on 27 September 2009 - 12:09 AM in Modifications

I've found OMC's thinwall PETG to be very loose for my darts - I use both stock foam and crappy 1/2" FBR from Home Depot and Ace. Assuming no gunk around the head, a Streamline will slide down OMC/PETG from gravity alone.

I may buy some 5/8" and see if they'll have a better fit. As I said above, I like twist-fitting, at least at the plunger-end of the barrel, and 17/32" works better for that.

Compression rings are when you use the pipecutter to pinch the brass, but not cut all the way through. When I tried to make them for an Angel Breech, I just tightened the cutting wheel until it made a slight dent in the brass, then ran it around only once or twice. That left a nice groove in it, similar to the slight narrowing of the cut end of a piece of brass after a pass with a pipe cutter.

Crayola (and most dry-erase) markers give a decently snug barrel fit.

Can you have Ace ship stuff to your store that you order from their website? I know you're in Malaysia, so I don't know how Ace stores work there. Maybe ask someone in the construction trade?

As for compression springs, you can of course salvage them from busted Nerf, or perhaps other toys. I'll look at a patio umbrella sometime - perhaps after a windstorm there may be some that are headed for the dumpster that you can find useful? Some door closers may work as well.