pinhead52's Content

There have been 182 items by pinhead52 (Search limited from 31-December 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#83320 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by pinhead52 on 15 June 2006 - 06:37 PM in Modifications

Posted Image

Basic mod, masic texture painting. Didn't seal the paint until after it started rubbing off. Oh well, better luck next time.

Posted Image

My BBB with a telescoping barrel, as explained in CXWQ's barrel replacement article.

#334198 Mark 8

Posted by pinhead52 on 22 September 2013 - 09:30 AM in Homemades

This is a truly amazing writeup. It's clean, easy to follow, professionally done, and most importantly, accessible. Anyone with a basic toolbox and a few bucks can build one or two of these. Even the tools you used to make the writeup (SketchUp) are accessible to everyone. I hope this sets a new precedent for writeup quality on this board. This could be published.

On a side note, I don't think I noticed any mention of this being used for the homemade contest. Did you want to give the rest of us a chance?

#334230 Mark 8

Posted by pinhead52 on 23 September 2013 - 03:33 PM in Homemades

I would either just put it in General Nerf and PM a mod that it could be a sticky.

By the way, I was joking about you pulling from the competition. Having something this professional this early on will certainly up the ante for future submissions.

#260809 Deploy Cs-6 Sneak Peek

Posted by pinhead52 on 05 January 2010 - 06:27 PM in General Nerf

Wow, FAMAS much?

It looks like the FAMAS and Aug Hbar had a baby...and gave it a flashlight.

Uh... what? Both those are bul-pups, and this isn't. Also, this has the main feature being that it collapses. Neither of those guns do so, any more than a regular tactical rifle. I need more explanation on your point of view there.

The breech also looks identical to the raider's. Nothing new there either, though it was still the best of the breeches I've seen from Nerf yet.

Aside from that, this is nothing more than a collapsible pump-modded LS. That's cool and everything, but I think everyone here has dramatically mis-interpreted just how cool this is.

Also, from an engineering standpoint, there's no reason to have the battery in it operate the collapsing function, or even help out for that matter. All of the guns like that I've ever seen use a mechanical system, not electrical, since that's cheaper and more reliable. But you know what on that gun does use batteries? The flashlight.

That being said, yes, I will own one of these. It has the best breech so far, comes pump-modded, and has a built in flashlight.

#254703 Nerf N-strike Longstrike Cs-6 - Preview!

Posted by pinhead52 on 27 October 2009 - 02:38 PM in General Nerf

It's just a LS re-shelled to look more like a loser (specifically the Dragunov) than a carbine. I have a few friends who will probably love it. I would also expect that it's got a raider-like breech. I've worked with all the LS re-shells and the Raider seemed to have the only one that actually made it easy to clear a jam.

#60141 Dart Tag Blasters

Posted by pinhead52 on 25 July 2005 - 01:59 AM in Modifications

If you notice in front of the attachment there is a site... or something that pops up to keep it form attaching where the scout and mav attach. It'll attach to something else, if anything at all.

#71325 Air Restrictor Removal-maverick

Posted by pinhead52 on 20 January 2006 - 04:26 PM in Modifications

I use the largest phillips in my "precision screwdriver" set. It was like $5.00 at the college bookstore, and I've seen them elsewhere too. Not only is it useful for this, but if you're taking apart electronics it is infinitely helpful. Get this set.

As far as the air restrictors, it'll be obvious when you open it. They sit behind the little post things, and they're pretty much just spring-loaded stoppers. They have little arms that go into the barrel, so that if there's no dart in it, no air goes through. This will prevent the loud and obnoxious "clack" when you dry-fire. You'll get used to this noise after you mod your gun.

#60719 Arsenal Aprassial Thread

Posted by pinhead52 on 31 July 2005 - 01:33 PM in General Nerf

What the hell. It's not much, but I don't got money;

SS2 [Shotgun modded]
Maveric [basic modded, custom paint job]
Nite Finder [Crayola Barreled]
WildFire [Stock, except a really cool paint job]
Small Soldiers SM500 [stock]

Short of the Mav and NF this is all just stuff I found going through my old toys when I decided to get into Nerf.

#51706 News From Hasbro '05 Part 1

Posted by pinhead52 on 06 April 2005 - 02:26 AM in General Nerf

I'm curious as to whether guns will be released between now and the fall, because it'd be sweet if they surprised us with something. Actually I'm just impatient.

Hey, what if the re-released the crossbow and it replaced the titan in the setup. Then there was a re-released RF20 where the hornet would go. Add an NF and you've got a pro-arsenal-in-a-package.

#50968 News From Hasbro '05 Part 1

Posted by pinhead52 on 29 March 2005 - 12:34 AM in General Nerf

Hah, those vests may never fit you, but I happen to have the scrawny torso of a ten year old boy. I'm gonna sport those muthas 24/7.

Wow, finally a pic of the firefly. I am seriously excited. Do I really have to wait until fall? They clearly already have one, how hard is it to produce another million or so?

But more importantly, why doesn't it connect? I think it would've made an awesome hornet replacement. Imagine, a titan (or if they ever replace it with something else sweet) with a modded mav on the side and a firefly on the bottom strapped to your back with two NFs in holsters? Overkill?

#51111 News From Hasbro '05 Part 1

Posted by pinhead52 on 30 March 2005 - 01:50 AM in General Nerf

I think you're supposed to put your other hand on top, over the slide. That would be cool.

#51449 News From Hasbro '05 Part 1

Posted by pinhead52 on 03 April 2005 - 04:02 AM in General Nerf

Let’s get one thing out of the way for GOOD. WE WILL NEVER EVER EVER SEE A RERELEASE OF THE CROSSBOW. NEVER, understand it. Done.

#51842 News From Hasbro '05 Part 1

Posted by pinhead52 on 07 April 2005 - 03:09 PM in General Nerf

Hey, what if the re-released the crossbow and it replaced the titan in the setup. Then there was a re-released RF20 where the hornet would go. Add an NF and you've got a pro-arsenal-in-a-package.

I really can't believe how many people are unable to read the first post in this topic. Things have been clearly stated more than a few times that the crossbow will never be rereleased. Why can't you get that through your heads? Quit dreaming about it. Any little whim you had, or hypothestical hope is not going to happen. In fact, if they rerelease the crossbow, I'll buy one for every idiot that ever talked about them rereleasing it. That's how confident I am that it will never be done. So in short, NO.

Just in case you morons can't read the first post, let me quote the part that you morons didn't read apparently.

Let’s get one thing out of the way for GOOD. WE WILL NEVER EVER EVER SEE A RERELEASE OF THE CROSSBOW. NEVER, understand it. Done.

You know, for someone who talks about reading the whole thread, you seem to have missed something important a few posts ago, it was where I quoted the original post in response to someone else saying they wanted the Crossbow to be re-released. I know this makes things confusing, but trust me, I was being sarcastic in the second post.

But yes, us morons will kee dreaming. :rolleyes:

#71302 An Actual "nite Finder" Mod

Posted by pinhead52 on 20 January 2006 - 05:29 AM in Modifications

That is probably the most thorough mod I've read in a long time. It's nice to see other people thinking about electronics, too. I'm working on a few tricks for my NF and SSII that I'll probably speed up with now.

It's also nice to see someone who puts function over fashion. That's not by any means my priority list, but I've never claimed to be productive for the community.

#51704 Nite Finder Mod, German Style ;)

Posted by pinhead52 on 06 April 2005 - 02:15 AM in Modifications

Why did you put the pepsi lid piece on?

Near as I can tell to keep the back end of the spring vertical and from pushing directly against the weak peice of plastic that's supposed to hold it back. Excellent idea.

#311016 Homemade Rifle (Longshot-esque)

Posted by pinhead52 on 10 February 2012 - 06:47 PM in Homemades

Very nice work. I would like to also throw in my two cents on the write-up/template begging, though the design actually seems pretty simple (in it's basic form), especially after seeing the monstrosity Hasbro had to build to get the same effect.

I also have to ask, why no pump handle? You said in your first post that it's hard to prime. Is it just too hard to build a pump handle that allows you to get the force you need?

#335941 Nerf Rayven Tuneup (~Write up)

Posted by pinhead52 on 15 December 2013 - 06:21 AM in Modifications

Micro controllers are fun, but for an application as simple as this, unnecessary. They already make ICs for cheap for this exact purpose.

writeup

As far as the mod, excellent work. It looks great and it's functional, and even though you did several mods (internals, cosmetics, external electronics) the mod is easy to follow and reproduce.

#84724 Longshot Is Even Cooler

Posted by pinhead52 on 11 July 2006 - 01:19 AM in General Nerf

The plus side; it's stefan compatible. The downside; the plunger size. I don't know about you guys, but I can guess by the ranges and by the pictures (the bolt moves what, two and a half inches?) that this thing probably has the same internals as the Sawtooth... it's probably actually just an upgrade to the Sawtooth. I say we have restrictor removal and spring replacement, lending maybe 50 ft good range. It's not going to be too useful, and definitely not worthy of that bipod, but like all other worthless N-Strike guns, awesome looking. And that works for me.

#307078 Alternative Ammo

Posted by pinhead52 on 07 November 2011 - 10:42 AM in Darts and Barrels

I've had this on my mind at work, and I've come to a few conclusions. The first is that they seem to be sturdier ammo than Stefans, and just as reliable as stock micros. Pending some actual tests and numbers, they can at the very least provide us with a standard for blaster quality. As it stands, posted ranges are based on personal trust as well as dart quality, so if we standardized a universal dart of superior quality, we would at least have a "nominal" range for tested blasters.

On the down side, I personally am so afraid of getting into trouble that I don't even use Stefans most times. I Nerf in public buildings or in crowded parks, and I keep my modded blasters even as close to looking stock as possible to prevent from drawing attention. And, since now my choices of venue are all on or close to military bases, most bystanders would recognize something this close to actual ammo, that puts them completely out for me. I think some of the newer members should go out and google some of the bad press that Nerf has gotten over the years before using these in public, but that's just general advice to anyone starting out in the hobby.

I am still very curious to see them compared to other dart types, though. Regardless of if they become the new ammo standard, they are still a refreshing idea. As a man of science I refuse to discount them before a thorough investigation.

#63716 Your Armory

Posted by pinhead52 on 15 September 2005 - 08:38 PM in General Nerf

Hey Quasar, I see there the SM500 from the Small Soldiers collection. That's the first aside from my own that I've seen. I hope you modded it well, I'm saving mine until I know I'm good enough.

Oh, and Orange? Damn dude...

#52209 Show Me What You're Working With

Posted by pinhead52 on 10 April 2005 - 11:43 PM in General Nerf

Probably about a 100-150', depending on how quickly he gets tired(and how he's skipping).

So the pony's stock eh? When you gonna mod it, and will we get a write-up?

#71498 Home Made Crossbow?

Posted by pinhead52 on 22 January 2006 - 07:03 PM in Homemades

Could you be talking about more or less making your own copy of the Nerf Crossbow? Because if you are thinking about that, I'm actually more or less working on that project right now. It wouldn't be hard since it's just a really huge, really basic Nerf gun. It wouldn't be too complicated; plunger tube, trigger system, barrel. Make it big, strong parts, heavy spring, and you could even outperform a real Crossbow. I'll start putting together some drawings and see if I can get them up here.

#49043 If You Could Ask Hasrbo

Posted by pinhead52 on 08 March 2005 - 06:49 PM in General Nerf

I'd ask if they were going to make hornet replacements like they did the scout. Maybe something like the wildfire that clips under the titan. And with the new color scheme, maybe something to replace the titan too.

#49790 If You Could Ask Hasrbo

Posted by pinhead52 on 16 March 2005 - 04:15 PM in General Nerf

Pardon my ignorance, what is the firefly? is it something new?

I know they're going to get mad at me for being off topic, but I'm new...

I did a google for this when he said something about it too. Apparently it's a new gun to come out this fall called the "Fire Fly rev-8" (sound familiar?). It has internal lights that flash to charge up the glow-in-the-dark darts. I don't know anything about the propulsion system yet, but I'll probably post any information I get beyond what is already public knowledge in a different thread (unless someone else beats me to it, of course...)

#61632 Wasn't That Fun?

Posted by pinhead52 on 11 August 2005 - 12:44 PM in News

Yeah, you had me too. I saw the "server down", but wasn't sure if I was just being banned for general worthlessness... until I realized that the mods here actually have sense. I've been hitting boards like the PA forum where there are so many people they'll ban you for joining a conversation where you're not invited.

#62783 Office Nerfing Review: Firefly (& Vs. Dart Tag)

Posted by pinhead52 on 30 August 2005 - 02:21 PM in General Nerf

Sorry to put this back "on-topic", but does anyone else notice that the Firefly is the first gun to have extra ammo holders, but not the ammo to fill them? Seriously, every other Nerf gun I've ever gotten new has ammo with it to fill every barrel and extra ammo holder, but this one has twice as much inventory as it does darts.

#259306 Soda Bottle Nerf Gun

Posted by pinhead52 on 18 December 2009 - 12:44 PM in Homemades

Let's not forget that the same two liter bottles have been used in middle schools to make sweet pressurized rockets. Since PVC pipe is used for water, and even then rarely pressurized (actually if you do a quick search you will find that the US government has recently issued a warning that other types of piping should always be used in the case of pressurized gases), whereas the soda bottle is designed for just that, I would feel safe building one. I still would put some kind of housing around the tank, though. I don't like putting anything pressurized next to my body. It's one of my four disqualifying adjectives; Hot, sharp, fast moving, highly pressurized.

#312402 Eye Protection Is Key

Posted by pinhead52 on 04 March 2012 - 09:52 AM in General Nerf

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Paintball goggles. They are designed for comfort, long hours of running around, limited peripheral vision obstruction, and the anti-fog lenses are easy to come by.

#74607 Dart Tag Vests

Posted by pinhead52 on 28 February 2006 - 01:03 AM in Homemades

You could also make velcro holsters and your dart tag vest suddenly becomes a utility vest too! I like the zombie square idea.

#335379 Nerf Zombie Strike HammerShot Mod Guide

Posted by pinhead52 on 13 November 2013 - 06:32 PM in Modifications

Unless it's different from the snapfire, the AR doesn't align the barrel, that's the roulette mod which serves no purpose but to keep it from automatically aligning, turning the only viable one-handed blaster Hasbro has ever created into an ugly maverick. But hey, it spins!

#306451 Please Stop the Insanity

Posted by pinhead52 on 24 October 2011 - 10:46 AM in Site Feedback

It doesn't have to be a technical solution. Don't we already make people send an e-mail or something to apply for membership? We could just include a little quiz as part of that; a few questions about the code of conduct, maybe grammar, on the page where you send the message. I think it would work more as a filter if it's something that newcomers would have the ability to skip anyway, that way before they are even an FNG their attention to detail has been tested.

The only downside is that it will mean more time Langley has to spend reading frustratingly poor writing, but he already knows this.

#69990 First Gun?

Posted by pinhead52 on 27 December 2005 - 08:06 PM in General Nerf

First gun ever was the SSII. I didn't really get into nerfing (modding and whatnot, still don't actually go out and shoot people very often) until I got the Mav.

#305430 No Time to Nerf

Posted by pinhead52 on 06 October 2011 - 08:42 AM in Off Topic

Nobody will deny that you are easily one of the greatest innovators the sport has ever seen. You have helped to shape the entire modding and homemade community as we know it, and it goes without saying that you will be missed. Thank you for the +Bow.

#69412 My Dead Sexy Nitefinder.

Posted by pinhead52 on 17 December 2005 - 11:37 PM in Modifications

I want to compliment Angel on the mod. Not just the cosmetic (though it is simple, it is well and smoothly done), but the general mod. I don't want to doubt the ranges he gets, because I haven't seen anyone else using surgical tubing, and I know it has a better elasticity (anyone who knows spring physics don't ask me what I mean by "better"). They use it in sling-shots, so I assume it has good credibility.

#69840 My Dead Sexy Nitefinder.

Posted by pinhead52 on 25 December 2005 - 06:48 PM in Modifications

QUOTE (Forsaken_angel24 @ Dec 18 2005, 08:59 PM)
2. I do not know if this is true but a friend of mine who is very hardcore into golfing 
    tells me that in cold air projectiles dont go as far. It was freezing today and when
    I did the original range test It was sunny and fairly warm.

I think I learned about something like that in chemistry, for water at any rate. There is more oxegen in colder water than warmer water, just like your pop will keep from being flat longer if you keep it colder. I'd imagine there is some effect in the cold air, since gasses condense at colder temperatures you would probably be firing through "thicker" air. Don't know how much that would affect your ranges, but I'd accept that and 3 months wear.

I've also noticed this trend to blast people for saying they get certain ranges, and I'm not sure I understand why all the time. If you can explain everything you did to get 100', and it's not something completely retarded (ala .:BlueIce:.) then I would be asking what you did and trying it, and coming back when it didn't work, not telling you you're a moron because I can't get it to work.

Hah, finally I get to talk about something I actually know about. And this one is so simple that it won't sound like I'm talking down to everyone. Alright, air resistance is more or less a projectile hitting air particles as it flies (or falls, or whatever). When a gas is colder, it is denser, i.e. more particles in any given volume. So yes, there is more air resistance in cold air. Your theory is scientifically sound.

#337349 Pressure Range of Blasters

Posted by pinhead52 on 28 February 2014 - 04:09 PM in General Nerf

I think the most important factor in this discussion is one that nobody is addressing; Nerf is NOT Paintball. Yes, if you can somehow get a blaster to fire 60 darts per second at a possible range of 100 feet, that will make up for accuracy deficiencies, just like paintball, but then we take out the beauty that makes Nerf different. Here you have to make concessions, and ultimately carry multiple blasters. You will likely have one accurate at three digit ranges, but it will take almost a second or more to ready a new dart, and another that can put out 20 or so darts in a matter of seconds within "sidearm range".

Yes, you can use pneumatics and any clip system blaster to make a Nerf system that fires and reloads semi or fully automatically like a paintball marker. It would even be impressive if you did it. Heck, I plan to do it myself. Then I'll put it on the shelf in the spare bedroom next to the singled Titan and anything else that's really cool, but would never be allowed in a real war. If knowing that your amazing blaster wouldn't be allowed on a field and that you'll have to work with basically the same tools as everyone else, despite being able to put way more money into the sport than other people playing frustrates you, then please sell me your blasters and buy a paintball marker. Make sure to tell them all how mean we are too.

Oh, and at it's core this is an idea thread, but I'm now part of the problem, so I'll leave you with this; Build your blaster, then put up pics and videos, THEN ask for help.

#53333 Your Ride?

Posted by pinhead52 on 24 April 2005 - 11:45 AM in Off Topic

Gary Fisher sugar 4+ (last years). It's a mountain bike. I don't have enough money to get a road bike too...

All stock, but I'm getting disc brakes this summer.

#254684 34th Light Combat Battalion Recruiting

Posted by pinhead52 on 27 October 2009 - 11:56 AM in General Nerf

Changed my post since you were the first response. I don't want this to become a flame-war, I just wanted the truth. Also, I didn't "phish", the link to your myspace was in your NH profile. Aside from that, I agree with what you're doing, and here's my argument for your side;

Nerf is about fun. Nobody will deny this. The person who goes to a NIC function with nothing but winning in mind can ruin the whole event. That being said, for some people, squad style tactics are fun. And, like I said, they build teamwork and trust. With my Nerf team (all of whom lurk here, but only I post), we use SEAL tactics with a specialized four-man team. We wear BDUs for uniformity and for stability of attire, but we wear black BDUs on account of the rarely seen jungle environment of NERF (and the blazin-orange tips tend to give you away in a stealth situation).

But we will very often ignore what a trained soldier would call "protocol" to do something awesome. We call one of these moves a "Max Payne". My favorite is running straight at enemies during an indoor war, and right when I get inside their range (usually 20-30 ft for Nerf Guns) I drop to a slide on my knees. The idea here is that they fire over me and I tag them as I slide to a stop. It's always awesome, and even sometimes works.

Something in here is what you were going for, right?

#254678 34th Light Combat Battalion Recruiting

Posted by pinhead52 on 27 October 2009 - 10:29 AM in General Nerf

First of all I want to say that I see where Messiah is going with this. I like using military tactics in Nerf, even though nine times out of ten we end up standing 30 feet from each other trading volleys until someone finally hits. Squad tactics are fun, and build trust. Also my group of friends has been training in squad tactics since we were in middle-school, and you'd be surprised how hard it is to teach most people to bound.

#52860 Good News, Bad News

Posted by pinhead52 on 19 April 2005 - 02:54 PM in General Nerf

BBB re-release? Sweet. That was the gun that I always really really wanted as a kid. Nevermind it's slight inferiority to the xbow, it's becoming my main.

Is this another gun for which I must wait until fall? Because that would frustrate me.