Photo

Wasn't That Fun?

45 replies to this topic

#1 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 03:19 AM

We seem to have survived our last minute server move. Hope the little joke didn't fool too many people. Thanks for your patience while I imported our 46MB SQL file by hand 1 meg at a time. God I HATE phpmyadmin and its tendency to time out on pretty much any SQL file of significance.

OK, venom and bile spent. Enjoy some relative quiet on the new host for a few days before I upgrade our IBF version.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#2 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 03:48 AM

All quiet from my end here.

Some folks spun up two threads, six pages on the "other Nerf site" thinking everything from hackers to Talio gone wild. I guess not everyone got the joke (though the PAGE OFFLINE title should have given it away.)

I imported our 46MB SQL file by hand 1 meg at a time...

I had a similarly challenging day. I partially defoliated our 2.2 acre wooded area by hand, one tree at a time.

-Piney-
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#3 blink 182

blink 182

• Members
  • 421 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 08:25 AM

You got to love all that built up “evil” in Cx.
New Price On Freedom, Buy Into It While Supplies Last...

#4 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 09:55 AM

You had me. I swear, I thought VACC got wasted and went banning everyone. Then I PM'ed Evil, Boltsniper, Talio, and Nerfmonkey. I thought the server move was the 3rd, as I wasn't able to get on the computer all day for lack of an internet connection. Seeing people online on the homepage also confused me.

You got me good.

~ompa

#5 SneakUP

SneakUP

• Banned
  • 79 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 10:07 AM

Also what gave it away was the year 2032. The year is on the new nerfhaven shirts. Everyone I talked to on AIM was like what the fuck. It was pretty funny.
GOT FOAM?!

#6 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 10:29 AM

Ahhh... anyone suspended in the last 11 months gets to come back in 2032. It had nothing to do with the shirts, it was just a suspension notice.

Ompa, my apologies. It was kind of a last minute desperation thing and I was only able to notify the staff who were logged into to AIM at the time I signed in to start the whole mess.

Basically, I wanted to do the move on the 3rd but a number of things prevented me from getting it done that day (or the 4th... or the 5th... or...) so it kind of fell to last night. Our hosting on Lunarpages expires at midnight today and I knew this wouldn't be finished till early in the morning so yesterday was the last day I could do it.

I got all the files uploaded to the new site, created the DB, and did what limited testing I could. Then all that was left to do was lock the forums, export the database, and change our DNS entry to point to the new host. 3 hours of feeding chunks of the SQL file into the new DB, a few tweaks to the config file, and things were working fine on the new host. Magically, DNS finished updating around that time (total of about 5 hours for DNS propagation) which used to take around two days.

All in all it was a pretty uneventful move. We were down from approximately 8:30PM till 1:00 AM PST.

#7 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 10:36 AM

You had me. I swear, I thought VACC got wasted and went banning everyone. Then I PM'ed Evil, Boltsniper, Talio, and Nerfmonkey. I thought the server move was the 3rd, as I wasn't able to get on the computer all day for lack of an internet connection. Seeing people online on the homepage also confused me.

You got me good.

~ompa

That's a good idea though.

#8 LDM

LDM

• Members
  • 293 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 10:56 AM

Ignore this post.

Edited by LDM, 11 August 2005 - 10:57 AM.

#9 TheHaze

TheHaze

• Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 11:01 AM

Yeah, I got punked... Bitch.
I first logged on a shit a brick. My first reaction was that I knew not everyone loves me but I'm not that much of an ass hat.

Unfortunately, during the actual move there will be a short period of down time for the forums while I perform the database backup/restore. I'm tentatively planning this migration to take place on Wednesday, August 3rd from 9AM to 3PM PST. Our existing hosting will still be active until the 11th so I'll be able ... read more

That's what gave it away for me. The part about the hosting running out yesterday gave me a small glimmer of hope after I spazzed for 10 min.

All in all, Thank you for not seriously banning me.
When you die, if you get a choice between going to regular heaven or pie heaven, choose pie heaven. It might be a trick, but if it's not, mmmmmmm, boy

#10 leftnut

leftnut

• Members
  • 392 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 11:09 AM

Well any one who had anything else to do never even realized what was going on. Yay for being oblivious.
"You are obviously a megalomaniacal insecure little boy stroking your faltering ego with your own hairy palm in order to prove your suedo-alpha male status..."
-BadAssReptileFarmer to Talio

#11 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 11:26 AM

I wanted to actually ban everybody and force you all to send me an essay outlining the top 5 reasons we should reinstate you, but kev told me I'd have to read them all....so this works too.

VACC

#12 duce

duce

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 11:29 AM

It wa quite fun to watch all of the kids over at NHQ completely spazzig out and Talio provoking them. Good times.
"Thats so good it makes me want to kick my mom in the face." -Halfling

#13 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 11:38 AM

Fastkill has removed himself from the gene pool.

Wow. Pardon me for having a little laugh while staying up until 2AM
moving the forums over to the new host I'm paying $250/year out of my
own pocket for. I'll go remove your account since you won't be using
it.

This email was sent with a pound of MONKEY!!!!

On 8/10/05, brendan ripp <impy1881@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>
> Well its not funny to do a joke like this and you just as well have just
> lost a fellow forum member and a donater. Not cool .................this
> email was sent with a rage of FURY!!!!

Edit: Damn, just read the thread at NHQ. It's even worse over there when we're down than it was here last time they were down.

#14 Uncle Hammer

Uncle Hammer

• Members
  • 750 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 11:59 AM

AH that's good stuff. I was a bit worried at firt but then seeing the whole board offline kinda gave it away, and everyone talked of the host change. But ya it was fun watching people over at HQ freak out.
Don't mess with Texas cuz its bigger than France, bitch..
QUOTE (Talio)
Catagory 5 hurricanes are the mighty dick of God.  You don't mess with that!  You don't mess with Gods dick!

#15 baghead

baghead

Cheetos

• Members
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 12:00 PM

I really Feel Bad For Trying to ask a simple question, because Chaos Insued, and then i couldn't help myelf and started posting things about evil Government Doom Waffles and Davis started worshiping tallio llike he was a pagan god, i soon lost my ability to breathe, even with aid from my inhaler, so i bailed...it all made for a good laugh last night though....

-Bags

Don't call it a comeback, I never left.

#16 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 12:02 PM

Reading that thread gave me NC flashbacks.

I hated NC.

#17 Uncle Hammer

Uncle Hammer

• Members
  • 750 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 12:06 PM

After the HQ hack people are so paranoid now. The board goes down for a couple of seconds or they get an error message and shit goes crazy. "Oh shit it's happened again we've been hacked everyone run for your lives, we're all doomed!!"
Don't mess with Texas cuz its bigger than France, bitch..
QUOTE (Talio)
Catagory 5 hurricanes are the mighty dick of God.  You don't mess with that!  You don't mess with Gods dick!

#18 Falcon

Falcon

Velcro'd Beanpole

• Members
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 12:09 PM

Damn, just read the thread at NHQ. It's even worse over there when we're down than it was here last time they were down.

I still wish I could shoot Davis, though.

Even if we WERE hacked, it's not the end of the world. It would suck, but just continue life as normal, people. Shit...

Edited by Falcon, 11 August 2005 - 12:10 PM.

----------||||||||)
QUOTE(Ilùvatar @ 0000) View Post
Of the theme that I have declared to you, I will now that ye make in harmony together a Great Music.

#19 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 12:20 PM

If we were hacked it would mean about a day of down time while I clean things up and a few days worth of posts gone. I keep a full backup of the database on my person as well as on my computer at work.

I'm a sysadmin guys, I do this stuff for a living.

#20 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 12:34 PM

I thought the whole thing was ass funny. I had decided to stay out of it until CX IMed me to say that they I had been blamed for the problem. Not only was I blamed, but it only took three posts. At that point, fueling the fire was all I was interested in. Trust me, it would have gone on longer if I didn't have to be up at 6 this morning for work. The waffle jokes were pissing me off, mainly because it wasn't funny.

On the final note, you guys (and you know who you are) suck. I can't wait until we get to do that again.

Talio.
New posts on my blog, check it out. - Click on the ad too, cause I get money per click. Give back to the Admin team for once!

#21 pinhead52

pinhead52

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 12:44 PM

Yeah, you had me too. I saw the "server down", but wasn't sure if I was just being banned for general worthlessness... until I realized that the mods here actually have sense. I've been hitting boards like the PA forum where there are so many people they'll ban you for joining a conversation where you're not invited.

#22 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 01:32 PM

I was fooled for about an hour and then realized someone :rolleyes: was just playing with us. I was actually mad but now that everything's back to normal it's funny. Oh yeah, one thing is still bothering me though: why was the suspension notice the same one that Dr.Peach got? Good joke, you got me.
SexD Warves

#23 Sqiggs89

Sqiggs89

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 02:10 PM

If we were hacked it would mean about a day of down time while I clean things up and a few days worth of posts gone. I keep a full backup of the database on my person as well as on my computer at work.

Right on. Anyway I thought it was pretty funny watching the people at Nerf HQ going all crazy and crap like that. Yeah I had a good laugh. Anyway that's all I have to say. I didn't say shit. But that's all I have to say.

Edited by Sqiggs89, 11 August 2005 - 02:12 PM.

Been a while.
#bro

#24 Davis

Davis

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 02:13 PM

*bows before Talio*

That was seriously hilarious...

*cuts wrists in the name of Talio*

Ahhh, what a cliche, viking becomes priest of satan, confused youth sacrifices lambs in the name of said priest, then some bird called "Falcon" shoots the young dipshit and ruins the fun...

Tisk tisk! :rolleyes:

I seriously have to save that whole conversation (excluding Nathan's paranoia and sudden "I can care less" attitude about the rules). And sorry Baggy, but the waffles weren't funny. :unsure:

Also, hate to brag, but I basically confirmed it was a joke with facts, yet everyone continued on like idiots. Said post:

He is fricking switching hosts, don't bug out.

That suspension notification was used on someone recently, so it is either a backup hiccup or a joke.

And Talio is just feeding your paranoia as a joke. Wink

But really guys,

Your mothers suck cock in hell.

And that is when Talio's sexiness brought on the worshipping...

Edited by Davis, 11 August 2005 - 02:17 PM.

QUOTE ("Devious")
2. Laugh like a maniac as you pummel them with your balls.

#25 ompa

ompa

Introductinator

• Moderators
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 11 August 2005 - 02:52 PM

Being I was banned before, for no particular reason I could see, I was kind of curious. Then, after I saw that for some reason I could see that I was able to log on and that the year was off, and checking with 2 other forum members, I realized it was a joke.

Took me about 30 minutes, I'll admit it. I was a bit slow on the uptake. NHQ is hilarious.

~ompa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users