moosa's Content

There have been 150 items by moosa (Search limited from 12-December 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#304102 Nerf Mod Community Dwindling?

Posted by moosa on 30 August 2011 - 08:55 PM in Modifications

Staying on topic is nice. And the philosophical debate wasn't really even part of the topic. I just wanted to know how people perceived the nerf community has changed in the past year. I'm glad to know that NH members are able to derail topics as effortlessly as ever though!

#304672 Epoxy Resin Cast Blaster Parts!

Posted by moosa on 13 September 2011 - 07:51 AM in Modifications

This is pretty fricken neato.

Blaster shells would require injection molding, like they do in the Nerf factories, so you can forget about your mass-produced xbow shells (which would destroy the value, novelty and coolness factor of xbows effectively).

#304271 PAS - Speed Modding Challenge!

Posted by moosa on 04 September 2011 - 12:15 AM in Modifications

Captain Slug mentioned years ago that people really shouldn't use jeweler's screwdrivers like that. They can cause hand cramps and even carpal tunnel symptoms due to their awkward size. Pick up a nice set with rubber grips. You can ask for left-handed ones if you so desire.

You actually get much more torque out of a driver with a fat grip. The difference is really significant. But for whatever reason it seems to be uncommon to find drivers with those small sizes and a full-sized grip, while it's very common to find those jeweler-style drivers when looking for the small sizes.

#304261 PAS - Speed Modding Challenge!

Posted by moosa on 03 September 2011 - 07:53 PM in Modifications

Haha I like this! Most of the time is just watching you handle the screws.
Are there any other blasters that are this easy to mod?

#304673 Nerf Vortex Praxis Spring relocation

Posted by moosa on 13 September 2011 - 08:01 AM in Modifications

The Praxis has like 10 different kinds of screws. And they're all in weird places.

A tip for you guys having trouble just getting the shell open: use a precision screwdriver and pliers.

#304557 Nerf Vortex Praxis Spring relocation

Posted by moosa on 10 September 2011 - 05:31 PM in Modifications

Ha. Nerf's like, "here you go modders. Enjoy."

Edit: Thanks for making it seem like this mod was actually easy. Dick.

#273810 Pump-action Maverick Mod

Posted by moosa on 01 May 2010 - 12:43 AM in Modifications

Why does everyone try so hard to justify/discount the modification?

#268726 Can I Get Advice On Blast Bazooka Barrel Replacement?

Posted by moosa on 09 March 2010 - 11:18 PM in Modifications

Pretty much. Just try it out, you'll see for yourself if they fit. I think you're probably best just sticking with Taggers though. People tend to think they perform a tad better than Sonic Micros, and I'm assuming that the velcro on the heads creates less barrel friction than the bare rubber of the Sonic Micros.

#268978 Re-re-re-re-re-barreling A Titan

Posted by moosa on 13 March 2010 - 01:16 AM in Modifications

This thread is pretty unfortunate...

The mod isn't bad. It's your first time after all, and it works fine. This isn't the sort of thing I would recommend others trying though. You'll get better results from using a better barrel material (CPVC, PETG, brass) than any stock barrel. The thing that stood out to me was where you said you didn't do any research before hand. Why not? It can only help you.

Keep talking with your parents. Don't throw a hissy fit, but make clear to them your desire to pursue this sort of hobby. Knowing how to work with your hands and use tools to fix or create things is an extremely valuable skill, one that's more than worth learning, and the only way to learn it is by getting your hands dirty. Make sure they understand that your intentions are to be constructive, not destructive. It's not like you're making homemade "fireworks" and tying them to Barbie dolls. Be persistent, but not overbearing, and show them you can be mature about it, and eventually they'll let you do more. Good luck.

#269003 Re-re-re-re-re-barreling A Titan

Posted by moosa on 13 March 2010 - 12:24 PM in Modifications

Oops...
Well, it was nice knowing ya dude. Keep on modding and such.

Just so you know, 1/2" stephans won't fit better in 1/2" SCH40 PVC than stock darts. However, if you use stock taggers instead of streamlines, you should get a good fit.

Good luck, and maybe we'll hear from you in a year.

#272610 Re-re-re-re-re-barreling A Titan

Posted by moosa on 18 April 2010 - 06:22 PM in Modifications

Probably the same way some people have multiple Christmas celebrations, with different parts of their families.

Plubby, I'd suggest you read through the mods that others have done to their Titans. Either use the search function or check the modifications directory. Just putting a barrel on it has been done so many times before, and you can read up on the "right" way to go about it and get good results from the people who have experience with it. There's nothing wrong with what you're doing by trying things out for yourself, but it really doesn't do the rest of us any good for you to post a thread/writeup about your experimentations when we've already seen it done successfully before.

#273725 Pump-action Maverick Mod

Posted by moosa on 29 April 2010 - 08:21 PM in Modifications

That's pretty cool. Too bad you can't pop out the turret, of course, but I like the idea. It's sort of like a Furyfire now Having a pump action fore-grip like that is a lot nicer and gives you more control. It even looks pretty cool. Nice work. :D

PS, don't worry about the people who will give you crap because they like to think they know better somehow.

#267110 Best Barrel For Stock Darts?

Posted by moosa on 26 February 2010 - 09:32 PM in Modifications

Could I add a relevant question of my own? I'm curious what barrel size/material would be good for stock tagger darts (as in the whole dart in the barrel). Either for air guns or springers. Might anyone know?

#279476 The Mirage

Posted by moosa on 04 July 2010 - 03:32 PM in Modifications

The fact that a Magstrike piston only moves <x> distance doesn't really keep you from adding a few parts to mechanically translate that into something like <4x> at the magazine. Of course there will be friction losses, and the piston may have to push pretty hard ... but that should just increase the air volume when it does fire, somewhat like banding the piston would.

Such a mechanism may cause greater pressure to build up within the piston, but wouldn't it also diminish the energy output during firing for the same reasons? In other words, the friction losses would be present not only as the piston fills, but also as it moves in the opposite direction to fire. banding works because it stores energy in one direction and then releases it while firing. What you're suggesting would waste energy in both directions.

This Mirage thing is pretty crazy (it looks freaking awesome), and probably the most creative mod I've seen on here in a long time, but I'm not yet impressed by the ranges. I recall that FA's original Magstrike mod reached as far as 85 feet flat without reconstructing the blaster. It looks like there is room for improvement though, so I will be interested to see what can be worked out.

As far as the air tank replacement, I wouldn't go with a rigid tank, pressure rated or not, if I were you. Even if you could achieve significantly higher pressures that way, I would much rather have the consistency of an air bladder. I think you're underestimating how much those bladders can take. Forsaken posted a pic in his Magstrike thread where he pumped a banded RF20 bladder 80 times without any problems. Also Captain Slug posted this:

The material of the bladder itself is rated to 500PSI. The Nylon fittings however are rated to 150PSI. The stock pump can only fill the stock bladder to about 60PSI.

...which would suggest that it would be impossible to damage an unrestricted bladder with the stock pump. You'd just have to make sure your clamps and fittings stay strong and secure.

If I were you, I'd try some fairly strong bands on the piston and pump the bladder 40 times, then see what happens.

#267569 Can I Get Advice On Blast Bazooka Barrel Replacement?

Posted by moosa on 02 March 2010 - 05:18 AM in Modifications

Perhaps you should consider learning to make darts as one of your first projects. It's not expensive and really only requires a hot glue gun, weights like copper BBs, and some foam backer rod. There are step by step instructions to be found provided by different members, and a whole thread full of techniques shared.

#267343 Best Barrel For Stock Darts?

Posted by moosa on 28 February 2010 - 07:40 AM in Modifications

CPVC drilled out with a 1/2" drill bit.

For what exactly?

#268002 Can I Get Advice On Blast Bazooka Barrel Replacement?

Posted by moosa on 04 March 2010 - 10:48 AM in Modifications

I see... so if I want to use stock darts, I should use Tagger or Sonic Micro darts.

I'd recommend that if you must use stock darts, use the streamlines for an air gun. The reason for this I explained in my last post in this thread. For spring powered guns, or for air-powered automatic blasters, taggers or sonic micros are often the way to go. By the way, some people weight the tips of streamlines to help them perform a little better in powerful blasters.

#267979 Can I Get Advice On Blast Bazooka Barrel Replacement?

Posted by moosa on 04 March 2010 - 01:48 AM in Modifications

With the fit on stock darts in the barrel being snug, you'd be better off loading the darts in the front with the heads sticking out. Assuming your barrel fit isn't too tight or too loose, the power to the dart should still be good.

I don't understand why you think this would be a good idea. Yes, Taggers and Sonic Micros generally fly better than Streamlines, but with your method of just sticking the dart into the tip of the barrel that means that you're getting a maximum effective barrel length of just under 2-1/2 inches (the length of the dart shaft). On an air gun. And any additional length to the barrel is dead space. I read a post a few days back where someone said they used to do this to their singled Titan, thinking they were doing it right, and would get something like 60 feet out of it.

#268105 Can I Get Advice On Blast Bazooka Barrel Replacement?

Posted by moosa on 05 March 2010 - 04:17 AM in Modifications

The unfortunate thing is that people are very quick to try and tell you it is "wrong" after you've done it. :rolleyes:

#270837 Hornet Tanks

Posted by moosa on 31 March 2010 - 04:44 AM in Modifications

Hey, thanks for this info too. I never would have figured that out. So, how do (stock) blasters like the Hornet circumvent this issue? Is it simply the fact that none of the hoses tee together? Looking at a pic of the internals, it looks as though each tank has its own hose, which leads directly into a larger diameter passageway before reaching the blast button. It seems like this would prevent the air constriction. Air constriction is the problem, correct?

#271999 Hornet Tanks

Posted by moosa on 12 April 2010 - 08:23 AM in Modifications

Alright, I just came across this mod in the directory by Captain Slug. It looks like he simply tee'd the hornet tanks together into one line, and apparently, it worked fine for him. I don't see what could be different about the setup of this mod compared to others that people have had problems with, aside from the fact that Slug only used four of the tanks.

#275420 Cpvc Doomsayer

Posted by moosa on 20 May 2010 - 10:27 PM in Modifications

That looks weird and really awesome at the same time.

Great write up. Great pictures. Great job.

#270758 Hornet Tanks

Posted by moosa on 30 March 2010 - 12:59 AM in Modifications

Sorry, I sort of stole the thread and twisted it to my own purposes. Didn't mean to cause confusion. Thanks for the info Airsoftguy.

#269590 Spy Launcher Guitar

Posted by moosa on 19 March 2010 - 12:59 AM in Modifications

Lets see you put on the wig, makeup and tights and model this thing properly for us.

#268742 Tech Target Internal Replacement

Posted by moosa on 10 March 2010 - 10:09 AM in Modifications

Sorry, I try to avoid quoting people's posts if I'm posting directly after them. I guess it didn't help that it started a new page. Oh well.
Here's what I was referring to:

3/4" CPVC fits the shell, and fits the plunger head directly.
3/4" Copper fits the shell and is just enough bigger on the inside to provide some real volume increase. Good job, though. I have a couple of these already disassembled witing to do this with, but other things always come first.

#268725 Tech Target Internal Replacement

Posted by moosa on 09 March 2010 - 11:13 PM in Modifications

Do you mean to say that those materials fit the Tech Target plunger? But this 1" PETG would still provide more air volume, right?

#268671 Tech Target Internal Replacement

Posted by moosa on 09 March 2010 - 02:29 PM in Modifications

Try a longer barrel... I'm sure we'd all like to see what kind of ranges you can get. :)

#268631 Tech Target Internal Replacement

Posted by moosa on 08 March 2010 - 11:12 PM in Modifications

So did you get the 1" PETG at Petco then? And that fits a NF plunger perfectly?
Also, what's your barrel length?

#270728 Hornet Tanks

Posted by moosa on 29 March 2010 - 07:18 PM in Modifications

Yes, I have even experimented with tire valves, but the air out-put was too small.

Yeah, I imagine that a quick air release is necessary.

Ambiguous paint drawings do not an explanation make.

I thought it was confusing at first. After studying it a bit, it made sense. I thought it was helpful, but your clarification is important to understand as well.

#268770 Tech Target Internal Replacement

Posted by moosa on 10 March 2010 - 05:16 PM in Modifications

Right, but his mod has a NF plunger head. Are they the same size? I've never modified a Tech Target, but I figured he must have changed the plungers for a reason. So I'm assuming that the 1" PETG has a larger ID than either of those two materials, and would therefore provide more air volume. Is that correct?

#270662 Hornet Tanks

Posted by moosa on 29 March 2010 - 08:19 AM in Modifications

Yes I believe so, but alot of things can be used as blast buttons. Such as the orange thing on the bottom of the titan that the hornet connects to.

I don't entirely understand this, but I'm not really familiar with how that particular mechanism on the Titan works. Anyways I think the point you're trying to make is that anything that can release air from the system and then close air-tight again can be used as a blast button. Is that correct?

#270658 Hornet Tanks

Posted by moosa on 29 March 2010 - 07:59 AM in Modifications

Another thing is make sure you save all the blast buttons. That's how you typically get integrated Hornet tanks to fire.

Each Hornet has three blast buttons, correct? And I assume that the actual trigger mechanism is generally considered too complicated to mess with, right?

I figured it would be appropriate to ask that here and now.

#266137 You May Not Want To Re-barrell Your 4b Just Yet...

Posted by moosa on 20 February 2010 - 08:22 AM in Modifications

Appreciate you guys taking the time to do out the math. The height of the range finder is pretty insignificant then. I am still interested in what other factors may be involved with these results. Is it very common for foam missile ammo to reach 90 feet flat? These are essentially unweighted mind you.

#265980 You May Not Want To Re-barrell Your 4b Just Yet...

Posted by moosa on 19 February 2010 - 04:50 AM in Modifications

Well, I'm not saying that it isn't reliable, no. More that we can't necessarily tell just how reliable it is. A tape measure is pretty hard to doubt. Even with a 25 foot tape, you can take a fairly accurate measurement if you carefully set a marker every 25 feet and carry the tape. It would do you well to simply see how closely it matches up with your laser so that you know how much you can rely on it. Perhaps it is very accurate, but you never know until you test it.

Also, I believe it would be theoretically impossible to take a measurement with the laser from ground level on level ground (yes that makes sense). I suppose if it's significant enough you could use some simple math to reduce it to a level measurement, but again that's assuming the ground is level.

Does a foam missile actually create a sail? I suppose it does, so that could make sense too.

#265953 You May Not Want To Re-barrell Your 4b Just Yet...

Posted by moosa on 18 February 2010 - 10:39 PM in Modifications

You shot a weighted missile a hundred feet? Unless you angled that Berserker, I'm calling shenanigans on this one.

As I pointed out in my post my little sister was playing around with it and it broke. So I'm not saying it's perfectly level but I tried to make it as level as possible. And the missiles are actually slightly heavier, if not the same weight, as a stock tagger.

If it's the same weight as a stock tagger, and significantly larger, that means an equal amount of inertia but significantly greater air resistance. So it should perform worse than a stock tagger.

Nobody has any reason to think you're not being honest, but I think it would make sense to take the given ranges with a grain of salt until a more reliable method is used to measure them.

#267344 Fastblast Crayola Mod

Posted by moosa on 28 February 2010 - 08:01 AM in Modifications

And it's completely up to FlyingPie what he does with his own blasters.

Maybe a singled FastBlast would suck, maybe it wouldn't, but he went ahead and tried it and was willing to put together the results for us all to see. If you don't care for the results, then don't do his mod, but it's still a contribution nonetheless.

#273096 Wildfire Rebuild

Posted by moosa on 23 April 2010 - 02:32 PM in Modifications

Moosa---You really need to hear one to appreciate it......it's great.

I actually have a Wildfire, an RF20 and a Magstrike downstairs in my living room at this very moment... Off I go!

Edit: My ears are ringing. <_<

#273061 Wildfire Rebuild

Posted by moosa on 22 April 2010 - 11:22 PM in Modifications

Sounds like any air-powered automatic blaster, does it not?

Nice write up here. I love this blaster. :]

#265820 You May Not Want To Re-barrell Your 4b Just Yet...

Posted by moosa on 17 February 2010 - 10:35 PM in Modifications

It's $3 for three of them, already factory made, and it comes with some sort of little gun thing which looks like it might make a nice handle. I don't think the cost is that big an issue.

Good find with this. Nice ranges for a stock blaster shooting arrows. Are you going to go out and grab more?

#272621 Inverse Plunger Tube Reinforcement

Posted by moosa on 18 April 2010 - 08:29 PM in Modifications

That sounds like a mod that's asking to get screwed up and ruin your blaster. Also, I'm not entirely convinced that epoxying a metal washer on the end of the plunger tube will do all that much to prevent the plastic it's adhered to from breaking under the force. I suspect there may be better ways.

I demand that you fire your blaster 100 times and then report back to us. ;)