Although not a full write up I hope that I am going in depth enough so that someone could replicate and build on this creation. Because the materials available to me here in China are probably different from those in other places this post is more about the idea rather than the (really cool) product.
(Skip this part if you don’t want to hear a full history of this thing)
After recently getting into nerf with some friends, as a noob the magstrike seemed like the pinnacle of nerf. After buying one however, I soon realized how wrong I was. Instead of ditching the blaster, I looked into how I could improve it, and it occurred to me that the main issue was the feeding mechanism and the layout of the gun, or basically everything except the pump bladder and valves.
The goal of this modification (although in terms of the work put into it it is much more comparable to a homemade) was to both increase the power of the magstrike and to “single” it (if that is the appropriate term for having it shoot out of a single barrel) without impeding its ability to accept clips and be fully automatic.
(Start reading here. Seriously.)
I present to you the “Magstrike Internals Rapid Assault Game Ender” or the “Mirage”, called that just because I like the word “mirage”.
To first rearrange the blaster I more or less built a new shell for it out of available materials at my school (Clear acrylic sheeting and tubes, hot glue and electrical tape). Due to a lack of “Nerf” related materials (like discarded shell parts etc.) I kept the original MS handle, and created and nice plate to clean up things at the front:
Notice that the ridiculous “tactical rails” thing still works. Wonderful…
After rearranging the internals of the magstrike in a more compact fashion, I worked on the new feeding system for the blaster.
Although I am aware that there have been many homemades, or modifications in the past based around the Magstrike valve, they all seemed to tackle the loading problem by first ignoring the valves oscillating motion (how it moves back and forth when activated), and then attach a hopper clip to the front. Although this is probably a more practical system, to reduce dead space I came up with the following:
I am pretty sure I am the first one to do this but if not, props to whoever did.
As the valve advances forwards it pushes a dart that has been dropped into the breech forwards, and completely seals of the barrel (the larger section of FBR to the rear) meaning the exit of the valve is directly behind the dart.
The main problem with this method is that the motion of the Magstrike valve is very limited, and so the size of the darts must be correspondingly limited. Very limited.
(the larger dart is a 1 ½ inch stephan for comparison)
Please… don’t laugh. I call them nano darts.
These half inch darts actually work quite well, before attempting the build I tested them in my SM1500 (to make sure I wasn’t just wasting my time) and they were accurately hitting about 90 feet without fishtailing or tumbling (which was my greater concern)
Another thing is that larger darts can still be loaded and fired well by ram rodding, but that kind of defeats the purpose of being fully automatic…
With all that done I did a standard tank expansion (a big hand goes to hopper055 who was very helpful in explaining how that worked), but with acrylic plastic, cause that’s what I had.
The only problem is that because I am currently on summer break I do not have access to the tools and materials to create a magazine (that will really bring the “automatic” function of this blaster to life) until I get back to school in August. In fact, you can tell what I did at school and at home. The wonderful clean edges of the band saw, jigsaw, and sanders at school, and the ragged tears caused by my hacksaw and pliers at home.
The final result is a fully automatic blaster that is pushing ranges of upwards of 70’. To me, I believe this is even more impressive considering the limited, and unconventional materials I have available to me (due to the fact that I cannot find standard components such as PETG, O rings, and good quality FBR here in China). I believe a PETG, or at least a well fitting barrel combined with a better feeding system (replacing the current improvised FBR seal with an O ring or two) could result in ranges of 80-90 feet [fingers crossed])
Picture of the damage to a paper cup.
Heres a video of it firing (note that I am loading each dart by hand because I do not have the materials to make a magazine until I get back to school, read the WHOLE post if you’re confused by this…)
Although the video isn't great quality I hope it gets the idea across. This is the first time I have ever encountered a magstrike that actually has enough power behind it to spew water vapor with every shot.
Feels free to ask questions, as my first post I may not have explained this very well.
Also, let me know if the images and videos are working. Again, its my first time posting.
So anyway, say hello to the Mirage; lets hope you’re not in front of it when you do.
Edited by Boot, 03 July 2010 - 11:17 PM.