SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA's Content

There have been 1000 items by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA (Search limited from 20-December 96)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#98292 Eagle Eye

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 14 January 2007 - 10:30 PM in General Nerf

This should be in the Trading section. However, the price could be between $15-$20.

#98287 Nerf Shotgun

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 14 January 2007 - 08:05 PM in Homemades

Posted Image

The tip is a nail, the body is a cut-down tube from a Bic pen (with hole cut in black end cap), the two springs are from some spare pens, and the springs are threaded onto a second nail. The heads of the nails are touching, and the blue cap is the cut-down base from a blue wall anchor (like the kind used for nails) with the side tabs, base rim, and fluted tip removed.

What's there pretty much explains everything. What it is is a pen tube from a Bic pen with a hole drilled in the black end cap for the tip of a nail, then two nails placed with their heads touching were dropped into the tube so that the shaft of one nail protruded completely from the cap. Springs were threaded onto the second nail (the one not protruding from the cap), and a nail wall anchor was cut down and used as a cap for the back so that the shaft of the second nail could protrude from the wall anchor when the first nail was forced back into the pen tube by a shell.

I have since put the idea aside in hopes that a simple nail and spring put in between the layers of the bolt will be enough to eject the shells. If I can test this new "design," I will post the results and how effective of a system it is.

#98262 Nitefinder Knocking Itself Silly

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 14 January 2007 - 12:30 PM in Modifications

Which "Front orange barrel support piece" -- the "barrel" that came with it, or the ring that went around the front of that barrel?

The wedge-shaped orange piece that extends slightly out in front of the rest of the gun.

#98261 Quality Of The Longshot

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 14 January 2007 - 12:21 PM in General Nerf

The only three complaints that I have about the LS are that the barrel is far too loose (I'll probably wind up sticking some brass in there), the clips make indents in the darts if they are left unfired for a while, and that a new modder (the LS was my first mod, and was successful) who is not careful can easily overlook pieces that are disturbed when the gun is opened, and have much difficulty putting the gun back together. However, since most, if not all, problems with the LS can be solved with a mod or such, there's really nothing completely wrong with the gun.

#98108 Hey Everyone

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 10 January 2007 - 09:24 PM in General Nerf

Longshot:

-Pros-
1) Clip fed, meaning higher ROF
2) Lots of modding potential and many "attachments" (for examples, see Piney's LS sticky in the mods section)
3) Smooth action
4) Asthetics make the gun look cooler and more badass than the BBB, in my opinion

-Cons-
1) Takes a couple tries to get all of the parts perfectly aligned again after taking it apart
2) If darts are left in the clip too long, the lips of the clip make indents in the darts
3) You need to take one hand off your gun to prime it, unless you did a shotgun foregrip mod
4) Somewhat extensive mod needed to make a stefan-compatible LS

I don't have a BBB, so that could make me a biased vote, but I think the LS is a beast. As I type this post, I am actually firing my LS and watching it shred paper targets across the room. I did need an air restrictor mod to do this, but it was well worth it.

#98104 Breechless Deodorant Clip

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 10 January 2007 - 09:09 PM in Modifications

If every user here had posts like yours (myself included), Gengar003, this truly would be a Haven. Brilliant and detailed write-up. You'll be gaining respect here...

#98101 Dremel Suggestions

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 10 January 2007 - 08:57 PM in General Nerf

Is this a GOOD quality for the price and a budget of $50?
http://www.lowes.com...0-02&lpage=none

It is Dremel brand, but you need to explain how often and for what purposes this will be used for (will it be exclusively for modding guns, or do you need it for work/projects?)

Posted Image

This thing is your best friend. I used it for my LS and Mav mods, and it works beautifully. The 5-speed Dremel that I use is a good choice for this bit, and I recommend both items to nerfboi instead of the one in his pic, but it's ultimately his decision.

#98098 Hunterdon County, Nj Nerf War

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 10 January 2007 - 08:36 PM in Nerf Wars

Holy shit, I just noticed that the guys posting in this thread have member #'s in the 1000's.

Why does this matter?

How funny is that. I feel old knowing that I'm #40.

If you can still pwn someone with a foam-firing gun, then you're not old.

I might be able to make it to this war. I live in shitty little Delaware, so the drive will be shorter for me than the the Mass. guys like nerfer34. I would prefer the date be on a Saturday so I'm not too exhausted when I drag myself back to school on Monday, but I will update as I get projects that will need to be done during a specific weekend. Also, any rules on what we can bring? I know some people host wars with only certain kinds of guns... (Like the host of a close-quarters war doesn't want people showing up with X-Bows.)

#98096 Nerf Shotgun

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 10 January 2007 - 08:07 PM in Homemades

Great work, Meaker VI. For what it is, the prototype is a good guide for testing all of the systems that you'll use to build the actual version of the gun. However, I'd like to see the carrier group, or at least as much of it as possible, in another pic so we can get an idea of what you are doing to make the system work.

#97815 Nerf Shotgun

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 06 January 2007 - 06:09 PM in Homemades

I have decided to scrap the original pump-action design in favor of a bolt-action shotgun design (these do exist), for both ease of manufacture and a proof-of-concept testbed in case I should later build a variant that uses a pump. The bolt handle will be connected directly to the cam pin that operates the rotating bolt head, which will make for a simpler action. Besides, I have a preference for bolt-action guns that was restored again after I got my Longshot.

#97522 Winter Caff Recap Thread

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 01 January 2007 - 06:20 PM in Nerf Wars

I DO.

That splitfire was turreted. The turrets BROKE OFF.

And here I thought that you had actually spared a gun from your famed modification. Where do you even find all those 2k turrets, anyway?

#97484 Old Nightfinders Available At Toysrus

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 31 December 2006 - 08:29 PM in General Nerf

And is it me, or did NFs go up a dollar? Those little cardbourd targets must have started racking up the cost some I 'recon.

Goddamned capitalists.

Anyway, the EX-3, LS, Maverick, Reactor, Dart Tag Refills, and maybe a Firefly or two are available at Wal-Mart again (because the asshat corporate chimps put them on the shelves after Christmas). I think I may have seen one like the first-generation NFs, but I'm not sure if it was really just an EX-3, because it was at the back of the shelf. My EX-3 cost me about $6.75 while my Maverick was ~$7.50. If I find the exact prices, I'll edit this post.

#97483 Winter Caff Recap Thread

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 31 December 2006 - 08:13 PM in Nerf Wars

I was holding a Splitfire, with no turrets attached.

I thought you put 2k turrets on everything. But anyway, it sounds like you guys had a good time. You should consider adding some of this to the "War Stories" thread.

#97435 Is It Possible

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 30 December 2006 - 08:22 PM in General Nerf

dont know any other reason
but ok
because from the prices ive seen for the dremels, i was just gonna buy the attachments and not the dremel itself(sp?) because its expensive

Trust me. The precision and control offered by a dremel far surpasses anything the bits could do when used with another drill system. It's worth the money to have better quality work and not as big of a chance for slip-ups that could wreck a gun.

#97433 Is It Possible

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 30 December 2006 - 08:09 PM in General Nerf

I was wondering if it is possible to us dremel attchements on a DeWatt drill?

It is possible, but completely impractical, since the drill is unwieldy for such a small tool. Dremels are smaller for the reason of being easier to handle. Unless you were asking for another reason...

#97404 Crossbow : Where To Buy

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 30 December 2006 - 02:35 AM in Modifications

1) Why is this in the modifications category?

2) The Crossbow, or X-Bow, may not be the best weapon for your style. SirTofu modded Singy to be a near-unstoppable beast with incredible range, but that's because he likes to use the X-Bow, and he knows its capabilities. Your style may and probably will be different.

3) The X-Bow is being discontinued, so any of them that are in a good condition will require a substantial amount of money to procure.

4) Depending on where you nerf, the X-Bow may or may not be appropriate. Indoor nerfing should not be mixed with crossbows because they are liable to shatter something if you miss or misfire, and that is hurts to get shot with a crossbow at close range. (My friend decided that it would be funny to aim for my ass that day.)

5) The newer guns are out now. The LS has a clip, so it has a better reload rate, dart capacity, and rate of fire than the X-Bow. The more new guns that come out, the more outdated most* X-Bows will become as their design and use flaws are solved or dampened.

*SirTofu and a handful of other nerfers here will still retain the ability to pwn all with their crossbows, no matter what we use.

#97399 War Stories

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 30 December 2006 - 12:24 AM in Nerf Wars

A couple years ago, storm, the squirt gun company, made a semi-automatic (nerf) pistol, and it was GROOVY! 10 round magazine! not darts either, like hollow, plastic streamline darts...
PM me if you can tell me what this thing is!

Storm LS-2

10 shot, pump up, clip fed, red light, plastic "straw" darts.

Sucked.

Heavily.

Mine worked fine, and I don't remember doing anything to it. I already shot a PM to themessiahpsg1 describing the gun, which is currently in my basement. All of the glow-in-the-dark darts are missing though, and I have no idea which box I put this thing in.

P.S.: This isn't technically a war story, however, I did get a Longshot today at Wal-Mart (corporate bastards put them on the shelves after Christmas) and nailed my sister in the ass with it from across the family room, kitchen, and dining room (they're connected) with an inclined shot. She wasn't happy.

#97397 Moddable?

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 30 December 2006 - 12:11 AM in General Nerf

Dart Attack, TX, and SHADOW HUNTER, it is really overpriced.

That's what we were getting at.

When you are done that can you open it up and tell me how it works. Is it a plunger based system or does and expansion spring catapult it out of the barrel?

I would also like to know, although I won't be buying one so it really doesn't make a difference to me.

#97395 Nerf Shotgun

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 30 December 2006 - 12:04 AM in Homemades

Also, if anyone knows what I should look for in a spring: I went to my local hardware store (Not Home Depot), and they have every kind and size of spring I could ever use, I think. I'm not sure if they sell ones that would work well for nerf; how tough should they be? For example, should I be able to compress them nearly fully with my hands or is it enough to just be able to budge them?

That depends. A plunger spring should be hand-compressable, otherwise you'll never be able to cock the gun. A mag spring should be even weaker. A spiral-notebook coil like Ronster suggested works fine for just darts, might work okay for PVC shells, and probably won't work so well for brass like I am going to use.

#97391 Saddam Exicuted

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 29 December 2006 - 11:27 PM in Off Topic

Waste of time, and this thread is a waste of space. What a dumb, dumb event.

Right. A dumb event that ended the life of a dictator who executed hundreds and made life hell for thousands more.

#97389 Saddam Exicuted

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 29 December 2006 - 11:19 PM in Off Topic

Hopefully he was smart enough to accquaint himself with hell's corridors before he arrived.

You got that one from my sig, but the point remains valid. Then again, he was reduced to hiding in a hole, so it probably wasn't going too well anyway.

#97387 Saddam Exicuted

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 29 December 2006 - 11:07 PM in Off Topic

Osama and Kim Jong Ill are next to follow Saddam to hell. I cannot believe that his douchebag lawyer called the trial a trial by the Americans when no Americans were in the goddamned courtroom.

#97279 How To Make Smoke Bombs

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 27 December 2006 - 06:04 PM in Off Topic

My Bad, Bud arent real grenades expendable, i wouldnt mind using one aluminum can per smoke grenade ill drink all the redbull I can, Besides its not like we will be making these everyday.
Wait lemme rethink that.

I am surprised that nobody has told you this before, but FIX YOUR GRAMMAR!

Uncle Hammer:
Thank you for clarifying the matter to all of the pyros-in-training. There's something called thermite that melts holes through anything from engine blocks to pavement. We're not making thermite, we're making smoke bombs. For that, you need a cool enough temperature to spare the casing in which the substance burns. I don't care if you want to melt a can every time you do this, but I caution you that nobody wants to trip and fall in a pile of molten slag during a war or any other day of their life. Plus, a thin-walled or easily-meltable case is just a bonfire waiting to happen when you light it in an area with plentiful vegetation.

#97266 Nightfinder Question

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 27 December 2006 - 03:00 PM in General Nerf

Is this just by coincendance(SP) or is that the new nightfinders have a stronger spring?

The first-generation NiteFinders are the ones that have the stronger spring. If you want to figure out the exact difference, take apart the new and one older NF and put them side-by-side. This way, you can compare the two and figure out why this range difference occurs, and possibly come up with a new mod for your gun at the same time.

#97257 Moddable?

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 27 December 2006 - 11:56 AM in General Nerf

As Dart Attack hinted, who in the world would buy this? But the propulsion would most likely be a plunger system if it is spring powered, since the catapult system might have problems with the cord unravelling or following the hook properly.

#97254 South St Paul, MN

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 27 December 2006 - 11:43 AM in Nerf Wars

I fail to see how the title connects to the subject, and you need to explain what the hell "nerf sparring" means in your region. It could be any number of things, from just a typical skirmish using blasters to the foam swords that RAMBO brought up.

P.S.:
To Substance Abuse in his post, numbered as 7 here:

If you are talking about me, I'd like to know how the hell you think I'm retarded. Different people use different terms to describe different things. That's the way the world works, and that's the way you need to perceive it.

#97225 Magstrike Hair Trigger

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 26 December 2006 - 11:17 PM in Modifications

I decided on balsa because it's thin, easy to work with and adheres well to just about anything with hot glue.

It's irritating to have to drop a clip everytime you want to fire the thing, and also, I usually use my finger to depress the wheel at the end of play, to eliminate all pressure in the bladder before storing the blaster.

-Piney-

Nice mod and write up, but instead of using balsa I used the spare plastic from the plate part of the wheel mech.

Many methods, all effective. Nice work, NerfMonkey. The same for you, Forsaken_angel24.

#97224 Eagle Eye

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 26 December 2006 - 11:10 PM in Modifications

Beautiful work. Only one question: is the picture wire going to be strong enough to withstand the prolonged cocking pressure of the new industrial spring?

#97223 Favorite Holidy Gifts

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 26 December 2006 - 11:02 PM in Off Topic

I think I can hear the mighty size 20 boots of Talio in the distance...

And there I thought that I had a migrain headache...
Well I do hope that that is what that noise is though.

Don't we all? Talio has continued his return rampage against dumbasses in a topic that this guy posted, and Groove seems to readily aproove of his verbal abuse:

Get the fuck off my forums and never post shit like this again.

LastManAlive:
It sounds as though you had an enjoyable holiday. I personally have not left the house since getting XBox Live, and don't anticipate doing so until January 3rd, when I return to school.

#97222 Best Of Nh

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 26 December 2006 - 10:53 PM in Off Topic

I don't think we should have popularity contests. It might make some members feel left out.

I think Piney is the best member...He does a nice, and always humorous forum moderation job!

What the hell? Self-contradiction in one post?!

Stop fucking sucking up, its disgusting my eyes.

You phrased it nicer than I would have...

As has been said before, although they are contradictory standpoints, there is no best nerfer, and yet there almost is. When people are so varied in fields of nerfing from modification to homemades to general ass-kicking at wars, there is never and will never be a clear-cut winner for best nerfer. Yet, at the same time, there are those such as Groove and One Man Clan who devote themselves to Nerf, and therefore deserve recognition and respect. If you feel that one person is better out of the 2700 members of this site, then that is your own personal opinion. Since the entire "who is best" concept is based on opinion, this thread is fundamentally flawed.

Recognize devotion. Recognize talent. Ignore comparisons of the two.

P.S.: Piney:
I heard that Talio wore size 20 boots...

#97214 Does Anyone Have Myspace?

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 26 December 2006 - 10:39 PM in Off Topic

We ought to just let this topic die before Talio goes on his battle march.

#97199 Favorite Holidy Gifts

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 26 December 2006 - 05:03 PM in Off Topic

TOmmrowis boxingdayIm goingto getasmuch combatequipmentasit ishumanlypossible. I got a SAS Survival Guide/handbook losts of shirts. Mygal bought me camo boxers, Socom combined assualt,PHoto ofme and her at the mall , hurley hat, Noise reducing headphones oh man im getting my psp later on in the month.

I think I can hear the mighty size 20 boots of Talio in the distance...

Anyway, it looks like everyone had a rather pleasant Christmas/Hannukah/Kwanzaa. Happy holidays and New Year to you all.

#97105 Favorite Holidy Gifts

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 25 December 2006 - 02:37 PM in Off Topic

I got a 12 + 1 month XBox Live subscription for my 360, the wireless network adapter to set it up, and $600, among other things...

#97058 Gamertag List

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 24 December 2006 - 10:58 PM in Off Topic

This thread is for you to post your XBox Live gamertags and general invitations to bigger online game matches only. All private invitations and small-party invitations to games should be done via PM so as not to flood this thread with such posts. When posting, include the game(s) you play and your gamertag(s). Should anything change among this information, please just edit your post in another color type so we all know.

P.S.: You may also post usernames for XFire and PC games, but please label which names and games are for what systems.

I'll start with my own:

::XBox Live::
Gamertag:
SHA 161006 (Simple: my initials on this site and the day/month/year that I joined)

Games:
Halo 2
Gears of War

#97032 Youtube Find- C02 Powered Wildfire/quick Disconnect

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 24 December 2006 - 04:39 PM in Modifications

I wonder how hard that thing shoots.

No way to be sure, especially since it looks like the firing system and barrel rotation system are independent and possibly not aligned correctly. Then again, we could ask yamo1231 to see if he knows and really did do this mod.

#97031 What The Hell

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 24 December 2006 - 04:14 PM in Off Topic

I know a little bit about what I'm talking about. 99% of all computer problems are made moot by system back ups. I say 99% because the only thing that will render a backup useless is if your computer is destroyed in a fire or stolen. Even then, you buy a new computer and load the back up.

Well, this solves the problem of getting everything back in case of a failure, but it might be more helpful to know why this problem occurs. In the brief time that I used Firefox, this happened twice, so I dumped the program.

#97029 Gears Of War

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 24 December 2006 - 04:04 PM in Off Topic

I'm saying that I think RS6(The newer ones) has a very similar sort of defense system. I.e. how you cover, etc.

If you compare gameplay, then you have to compare grapics as well, and Gears is so head-and-shoulders above all the other games for any other system that everything else before this game looks like Pong or Pac-Man in comparison.

#97028 Longshot High-cap Mags

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 24 December 2006 - 03:58 PM in Modifications

You never cease to amaze me with your designs, CaptainSlug. I would also be interested in buying one or two of these mags if you can complete enough.

#96995 Youtube Find- C02 Powered Wildfire/quick Disconnect

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 23 December 2006 - 08:31 PM in Modifications

Just wondering, why is a jury going after this person for making a CO2 powered nerf gun?

They're not going after him for making it, they're trying to decide if he did make it.

#96983 Question On Homemade Steffans

Posted by SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA on 23 December 2006 - 05:05 PM in Homemades

Ok I figured I'd post this in homemades since steffans are homemades..

Stefans ... spelled with one "f" only.

This is the link to the first page of the topic elf_avec_gun posted.