Photo

Nitefinder Knocking Itself Silly

6 replies to this topic

#1 Gengar003

Gengar003

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 01:22 AM

As I'm sure y'all know, the Nitefinder plunger rams into the barrel assembly when it fires... And said assembly is somewhat funky.

In giving my NF a CPVC barrel, I removed everything in front of its air restrictor, drilled out the little prongs in it, and epoxied the barrrel to that.

Very similar, in fact, to what was done on the NH NF Mods page:
Posted Image

Just imagine CPVC instead of PETG.

Now... when reassembled, every time the gun fires, it knocks the funky barrel assembly loose. It can't fall off, because it's inside the gun, and there's not enough play for it to disconnect enough to leak, but the barrel, after the first shot, does wobble.

The aforementioned NH NF mod page advocates epoxying + electrical-taping the barrel assembly together, to hold the barrel in... but then you've pretty much sealed off the plunger, should you ever need access again. Is there any other way? Have any of y'all done anything else to secure the barrel besides glue the thing solid?

Thank you for your time.
I bought Kohls.com's last two AirTech 2000s.

#2 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,471 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 01:46 AM

I used hot glue and then a bit of E-tape for good measure. To help reduce the "knocking" You should try adding some cushioning for the plunger head. Check out my Pump Action Shotgun Mod 2. In it you will see I used this foam rubber gasket meant for toilets and cut out a ring and placed it at the base of the plunger tube. This stuff is durable and will help even silence the Nitefinder. As for a wobbely barrel. I would reccomend stabilizing the barrell by making it fit nice and snug with the front barrel peice. My Nitefinder's barrel never wobbeled because I did this.

Edited by Forsaken_angel24, 14 January 2007 - 01:47 AM.

I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But Iím just not the angel you knew.

#3 Garrett76z

Garrett76z

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 06:28 AM

I've done gobs of these now . . . I always retain the restrictor piece behind what you are gluing your barrel to. I drill a hole just smaller than your barrels diameter in it. Then drill out the piece you pictured the exact size of the barrel. Now the restrictor piece has a nice ledge for the barrel to sit on, I glue it in there and then slide the other piece over it and glue it down to the restrictor, this is much more sturdy than doing like that picture.

I always superglue a thick O-ring to the back of the restrictor piece so that the plunger doesnt crack on impact.

I also agree that you need to use the front orange barrel support piece.

#4 Gengar003

Gengar003

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 09:22 AM

Which "Front orange barrel support piece" -- the "barrel" that came with it, or the ring that went around the front of that barrel?

#5 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 12:30 PM

Which "Front orange barrel support piece" -- the "barrel" that came with it, or the ring that went around the front of that barrel?

The wedge-shaped orange piece that extends slightly out in front of the rest of the gun.
The only commonly shared fate among us all is death. I turn to the shadows so that I may not be unfamiliar with hell's corridors when I arrive. - SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

Founder of the Shadow Militia.
Founder of Nightshade Laboratories and The Nightshade Armament Corporation.

#6 Gengar003

Gengar003

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 01:20 PM

The wedge-shaped orange piece that extends slightly out in front of the rest of the gun.

My CPVC doesn't fit through it... how do I use that to secure the barrel? Or am I misunderstanding something?

#7 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,471 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 01:35 PM

You can either sand down the front peice or sand down your cpvc or both if need be.

EDIT: Or you can completely scratch that and take out the orange peice all together then wrap E-tape around the barrel at the part where it would meet up with the casing that would originally hold the stock barrel.

Edited by Forsaken_angel24, 14 January 2007 - 01:37 PM.

I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But Iím just not the angel you knew.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users