Salmon's Content

There have been 393 items by Salmon (Search limited from 20-January 97)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#246864 Project Texas '09

Posted by Salmon on 13 August 2009 - 12:21 PM in Nerf Wars

I would assume I'm gonna be able to come, but finals may be tough to work around if it's during the school year. Plus, my mom refuses to talk to me about this for like another month, since DAFT was like a week ago.

EDIT: On second thought, disregard this post for now.

#246517 Berserker Internals

Posted by Salmon on 10 August 2009 - 11:52 PM in General Nerf

(...) I think one should replace the plunger with a BS or Hornet tank which would be connected to the BBBB airtank via checkvalve (...)

Yeah, but that'd kill the whole purpose of the secondary gun: rate of fire. If you have to pump it each time to fire, then it completely takes that away. If you were meaning that it would operate off of the air already stored in the main tank, then you'd have to pump it like 30 times before hand, and you could only fire one or the other. You couldn't fire the main gun off, and then have 20 shots to block rushers while you reload. You could fire one shot from the BBBB section, and maybe 1 shot from the secondary gun, or you could fire off all the shots from the secondary.

#246348 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by Salmon on 09 August 2009 - 09:24 PM in Modifications

Posted Image
My new Scorpion Bow, basic mods. Hitting... maybe 80-ish? I'm never quite sure, but the ranges are pretty good. Soon to get a Big Salvo/Splitfire integration if I can find the right parts. Thanks to thedarksideofnerf for supplying me with this beast.

#246314 Project Texas '09

Posted by Salmon on 09 August 2009 - 07:12 PM in Nerf Wars

What is the date on this thing?

I don't want to speak for darkside, here, but judging from the OP, I'd assume the date is TBA.

#246074 Daft 09

Posted by Salmon on 08 August 2009 - 02:05 AM in Nerf Wars

Posted Image
One big happy family... sort of. Get your armpit out of my face!

Wow, my smile looks really retarded in that picture... Also, I just noticed the random PistolSplat sitting in the corner of that photo.
I'll try to get my photos up tomorrow or so, but I'm not really sure how to upload from my mom's camera, so it could be a good while longer.

EDIT: Schizo, I'm pretty sure those goggles are mine, since I think we're missing a pair. PM me.

#245919 Daft 09

Posted by Salmon on 06 August 2009 - 11:28 PM in Nerf Wars

RECAP TIME!
Awesome war, you guys. Really really fun, and great to connect all the faces to the usernames.

PROS:
- The war being remarkably well planned out. You did a great job, SchizoMC, and it was the first ever Texas nerf war, too.
- Getting a Scorpion Bow from Darkside--- dizzy was right, it's NOTHING like a BBB.
- Meeting some really cool people.
- Schizo rickrolling us.
- Talking about various Nerfhaven-related topics with said people.
- SLUSHIES!!!!
- POPSICLES!!!
- Awesomesauce location, except for the ungodly heat.
- Sweet pistol rounds, probably the most fun I've ever played.
- Schizo's stock Titan. 'Nuff said.
- Not getting horribly sunburned.
- Seeing those cool NF holsters made out of poly folders in use.
- Getting some pretty sweet footage with my mom's HD camera. (But none of the pistol rounds!)
- Darkside being awesome and letting me use some e-tape to fix my K9 when the hot glue melted off from the heat.
- Seeing everyone else's guns.
- Me shooting at Wing'd Man with my K9, said K9 jamming, him cocking and aiming his Daedalus(which is beast by the way, mad props) at me, him pulling the trigger, me being terrified(it was my last life), and the dart being a dud and fluttering out of the barrel like a butterfly. :)
- Having way more darts then I would have ever needed. I still have like 70 in my pocket as I'm typing this.
- Selling a few guns.
- And more to come soon.
CONS:
- The heat! My face got redder than a beet in the hot Texas sun...
- We just kind of screwed around in the staging area for like an hour in between rounds.
- Getting shot in the thigh point-blank by Darkside with his 2K, and getting this huge nasty bruise from it.
- My K9 jamming a lot, and not shooting as far as I had hoped.
- Me sucking in the Team Deathmatch round.
- Getting blisters and having to walk barefoot the rest of the day... on the hot pavement...
- Me dropping my NF like a thousand times during the Team Deathmatch round. I really need to make a holster.
- The CTF round, but that was largely our fault. Our flag was way too hard to find, I admit, and it turned into a bunch of boring standoffs/rushes. However, there was like NO shade and NO cover on our side, so it wasn't really balanced.

#245755 Daft 09

Posted by Salmon on 06 August 2009 - 08:00 AM in Nerf Wars

This is the outcome of a huge amount of work-hours spent between me, Francesca and Jack.
Posted Image
And, OMG ITS DAFT U GAIS!!!!!

#245635 Daft 09

Posted by Salmon on 05 August 2009 - 05:04 PM in Nerf Wars

God! Jack, Francesca and I only have like 300 darts to split among each other for the war as of now. Darkside, do you have any medium wall PETG to sell? I need to rebarrel my 3K, and I can't exactly order some from OMC the night before the war....
Schizo, no problem. I only have one flag, so it'd be more suited for Bomb rounds.

#245441 Daft 09

Posted by Salmon on 04 August 2009 - 12:41 PM in Nerf Wars

I could bring along a Nerf Stormfire "Flag" for the bomb rounds, or the CTF rounds for that matter.

#245236 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by Salmon on 02 August 2009 - 09:24 PM in Modifications

PETG'd Stormfire, minimized, 2 O-rings, springs, basically Merzlin's mod. It's like, impossible to cock with the huge Home Depot spring. No clue on the ranges, I haven't had any stefans to spare as I'm making them like crazy for DAFT, but it shoots pretty hard just with stock darts (which fit loose in the PETG).
Posted Image

#245013 Daft 09

Posted by Salmon on 01 August 2009 - 02:41 PM in Nerf Wars

So, the way things are looking, I may have to drop out of my own war. This doesn't mean the show won't go on. Far from it. I leave my trust in Salmon and Sputnik. If I can't make it - and I'll post the day before confirming - I want you two to take over.
Finally, I've decided on times for the event. DAFT '09 will start at 1 PM on Thursday. It will go on until 5 or 6. This decision was made due to temperature concerns.

I hate to say it, but frankly, I'm not sure if we are up to that. I mean, me and my friends are pretty young, and it seems like lot to ask to suddenly volunteer us up to the stage. We'll do what we can, but... no promises. Hopefully, everybody will just be able to get together and have a war, even if there isn't really a designated host.
On a different topic, is anybody bringing anything to trade? I may be able to bring a few things, a Titan, a Maverick, a screwed up Xbow shell, and others.

EDIT: @SchizoMC: You should at least show up, even if you don't have much. Ask someone to loan you a gun or something. And you could just pick up the darts you see on the field, if nothing else, and use them.

EDIT2: The official list of stuff I may be able to bring:
- Seriously messed up Xbow shell and plunger rod, crap PJ, cut up, "the works", no screws
- Most of a +bow, missing plunger+plunger tube assembly
- N-Strike Magstrike
- Longshot shell, missing most screws
- Hornet shell, "Hornette" style, no screws
- A few Longshot clips
- Handle-less red DTG, no ARs, other mods
- AT2K pump
- Most of a red BBB, would be in pieces if I even brought it
Stuff I'm looking for:
- Big Salvo(!!!!!!11)
- AT2Ks
- Expand-A-Blast
- SMDTGs, both spring and air
- Original (black and yellow) 4B
- Lightnin' Blitz(!!!!!!11!!!!!!!!!1!!!eleven!!!!)
- Old-style SM1500, other Supermaxx guns

#244661 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by Salmon on 29 July 2009 - 11:44 PM in Modifications

My primary, a custom K9 special.
Posted Image
6" 9/16 brass barrel, cut-down DT3 spring addition, minor reinforcements. Semi-fluorescent green crackle finish paintjob, black(cough)e-tape(coughcough) accents. Eight PETG ammo holders added on. Gets (EDIT)65 feet on an empty clip, 80 on a full one.(/EDIT) Amazingly comfortable, thanks to the grip extension. Sometimes the loading on the RSCB is a little finicky, since my darts don't have a really loose fit in copper, and you have to shake it to get the darts to go down, but for the most part it's fine. Most definitely my favorite gun.

And my Doomsayer, 10 inch barrels:
Posted Image
Meh. Not really my style. A little too complicated for me, feels like it's about to fall apart, and kind of uncomfortable. Ranges are pretty screwed up, anywhere from 60-100+, I think I somehow screwed up the seal/plunger. Never got around to putting rear loading on the left side, either. Still a pretty nice primary though.

#244461 N-203 Grenade Launcher

Posted by Salmon on 28 July 2009 - 10:58 PM in Modifications

That's... ridiculously awesome. Props.

EDIT: And +1 for the Sharpie "paintjob" on the 'nade launcher. If you could manage to make this thing shoot balls 30-45' like bag's F'ingPecan, I would officially <3 you.

#244391 Nerf Wars On Wikipedia

Posted by Salmon on 28 July 2009 - 05:08 PM in General Nerf

For the (absolutely hilarious) record, you can see the original page RIGHT HERE.

Actually, that's still not the original page. It has a lot of new things edited in. The first, ridiculously funny version, or as close as I can get to it, is here. I think the original "original" had something about a Four Horsemen supersoldier and an Evil Angel or some crap? But I couldn't find that edit, so this one will have to do.

#244047 Lanard Shot Gun

Posted by Salmon on 26 July 2009 - 05:15 PM in Modifications

Good mod. The ranges seem a little... inconsistent, but if it can shoot over 50-60 feet, good enough for me.
The only thing I don't get is, why didn't you make it rear-loading? I mean, if you have to ramrod your darts, what's the point of a turret? It just makes the gun bulkier, more complicated, and less effective IMO.

#243840 Sharp Shooter 1 Modification

Posted by Salmon on 25 July 2009 - 12:53 PM in Modifications

Your video just links back to the original topic for me.

#243838 Dart Tag Blaster Overhaul

Posted by Salmon on 25 July 2009 - 12:45 PM in Modifications

You know, a long, long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, I had the idea of doing something similar, but in the end, I just ended up deciding it wasn't worth the effort. You went through with it, though, and created quite an impressive blaster, with (gasp!) 2/3 the air volume of Daedalus, a 2k integration, 10 auto-rotating shots, and a shell not too much bigger than, say, a SM1.5K.
I applaud you, sir. Excellent work, and let me be the first to say I look forward to seeing this in action at DAFT.

#243674 Big Bad Bow Shotgun Style Very Large Pictures

Posted by Salmon on 24 July 2009 - 07:28 PM in Modifications

I'm going to have to try this! Can you tell us what the ranges are?

Ranges vary from 60-75.

Yes, he can, and he did.

Anyway, I'm actually really impressed by this! While I wouldn't do it personally since I find pulling back easier (and the BBB is one of the few guns that I really don't like or understand), I admire the effort and fine craftsmanship you put into this.

#242802 Daft 09

Posted by Salmon on 19 July 2009 - 09:19 PM in Nerf Wars

Ok, Francesca, me, and Jackal/Jack are all going to be coming, and I think I speak for all three of us when I say I am incredibly pumped and cannot wait till this this thing to goes down.
And 3 weeks? Beast. I think I just had a minor anxiety attack about darts though... 3 weeks and 400 to go.

EDIT: Also, usually singled BBBB's are allowed, so long as they aren't plugged... right?

#242235 Tech Target Overhaul

Posted by Salmon on 16 July 2009 - 02:37 PM in Modifications

I'm just going to put this nice and simple:
I am totally doing this mod. Amazing job.

#242100 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by Salmon on 15 July 2009 - 04:37 PM in Modifications

My couplered Supermaxx 500, about 5 inches of 9/16 serves as the barrel:
Posted Image
And a little preview of a WIP I'm modding for Francesca:
Posted Image
Again, sorry for the horrible pic quality, these guns are a lot prettier in person.

#241441 I'm Having Some Issues With My New Doomsayer...

Posted by Salmon on 11 July 2009 - 12:51 PM in General Nerf

It's probably the simple dart/barrel fit. If they're firing when they are at the end of the barrel, odds are your darts are too tight.

Yea, I'm starting to think that Doomsayers require an UBER-loose dart fit because CPVC is what I use with all my other weapons and it works great.

They don't. I use Mile High + PETG in mine, which is a pretty snug/tight dart-barrel fit, and I'm getting 90-110' flat. However, when I use a looser dart, such as Mod Man red foam, the dart literally doesn't even leave the barrel.
On your gun, were you positive to leave a rim around the turret to hold it against the plunger tube? And on both sides? Other than that, you may want to check the rotation mech, as said before, and make sure the pushnuts on the rod aren't too tight or too loose. You just want them to be secure enough to hold the thing together, without compressing the hot-glued spring all the way.

#240505 Titan/magstrike Integration

Posted by Salmon on 06 July 2009 - 06:39 PM in Modifications

When I look at that gun, one word comes to mind...
Insane.
Great job dude. I would never dare take on something as complicated as that, and I give you props for doing it. Also, it's nice that so long as you have a ton of darts, shotgun shells for the Titan, and clips, you'll be fine since you only have to pump it 5 times. I recommend putting some velcro holders for the shells though.

#240119 Stormfire Internal Pictures

Posted by Salmon on 04 July 2009 - 12:21 PM in Modifications

While the gun itself doesn't really float my boat, I can see someone doing some major "overhaul" minimization to make this thing quite a bit smaller. Remove the cocking slide, relocate the handle a little bit forward, cut down the front and throw on a new trigger and you'd have a pretty cool little sidearm, even if it amounts to little more than a slightly oversized NF.

#240021 Modification and Paintjob Pictures

Posted by Salmon on 03 July 2009 - 08:08 PM in Modifications

ASON, great minds think alike.

My new sidearm:
Posted Image
Gets awesome ranges, I'd guess about 75 feet. Dead accurate, too.
Pardon the horrible picture quality, this was taken from my webcam, not my good camera.

#239918 N-strike Clipped Pas

Posted by Salmon on 02 July 2009 - 11:23 PM in Modifications

Awesome, I love the new grip, though the shape of the NF handle doesn't quite fit with the plainness of the rest of the gun.
And the paintjob is absolutely garish... just the way I like 'em. Major plus.

#239509 "2009 Dew Tour"

Posted by Salmon on 30 June 2009 - 10:11 PM in General Nerf

I can't believe those things are springers, I thought for sure they'd be air powered. Nevertheless, they look cool and should be decent at least.

Agreed, I am COMPLETELY let down now that I know they're not air guns. I was seriously hoping for another SM1K, but I guess not. We can at least hope they don't have a reverse plunger.

#239029 Nitefinder Mod; Your Take?

Posted by Salmon on 28 June 2009 - 12:26 PM in Modifications

So let me get this straight, you're a "loser"? Haha. Every noob falls for that one. And you have explosive missiles, that you fire at people? Not to be the one who says "safety first", but dear lord, that sounds like a bad idea... Not the concept of it, the use of it. Why would you do that?

No, the projectiles in question launch a blast of baby powder when it hits something to make a mock "explosion" effect. There (most likely) is no combustion, and it's just the impact of the collision that launches the powder.

#238978 Which One Is Best?

Posted by Salmon on 28 June 2009 - 12:34 AM in General Nerf

Just try to find some nerfers in dallas and ask them.

Uh, not so easy. I mean, there are only like 30, maybe 40 nerfers in the entire state of Texas. And the only one I can think of from Dallas is SchizophrenicMC, and I believe he actually lives in Arlington.

Anyway, If it's a springer you're buying, I recommend Best Materials black closed-cell foam, since it generally has a snug-but-not-too-tight fit in PETG. If it's an air gun, the red foam/stefans Mod Man sells should give you a nice loose fit.

#238387 This Picture Deserves Its Own Thread.

Posted by Salmon on 24 June 2009 - 01:35 PM in Off Topic

I'm pretty sure I know who, but on second thought I'm not going to spoil it.

#237208 Vos Pistol

Posted by Salmon on 18 June 2009 - 05:02 PM in Homemades

We make them look like what they are...toys. I see what you were going for, but you aught to slap some orange duct tape on there when you're in public. That thing just looks menacing. It looks very sleak and proffesional, but the real main reason for us going so heavy on neon is that it keeps it looking like a toy (What it's suppost to look like), and less like a real firearm, which generally, in public places, causes a tad bit of dismay.

Plus, they look cooler in neon.

#237195 My New Ls Mod

Posted by Salmon on 18 June 2009 - 04:27 PM in Modifications

Reminds me of the banner for nerfonline...

Hahaha, seconded.
Anyway, dragonfire, nice mod. The only complaint I have is that the three extra shots of the Eliminators might not be worth it in the long run since they partially disable your aiming capabilities and make the gun bulkier than necessary. I recommend integrating some trusty ol' SMDTGs if you can find 'em. It'll give you better range than the Eliminators, it'll be less bulky, and it'll have a better triggering method too. Also, don't let anybody get you down about your guns not being "clean." If it works, it works, and that's all you should care about.

Welcome to the 'Haven.
~Salmon

#237096 Vos Pistol

Posted by Salmon on 18 June 2009 - 10:05 AM in Homemades

You know what this reminds me of? I have no idea why, and it doesn't look or function like one, but it reminds me of a Thompson with the 20-round clip. Like a Thompson, mixed with a magazine-fed WW2 carbine or something. :unsure:

Anyway, resemblances aside, nice work. Decent range, impressive design. I just wish you hadn't painted it black, or at least flat black. Throw some fluorescent green and yellow and hot pink on there!

#236939 The Guns You Don't Use Anymore

Posted by Salmon on 17 June 2009 - 02:47 PM in General Nerf

I never use my cpvc'd Reactor, my Hornet, my Titan, my Vulcan, my handle-less DTG, my AT3K's (though that's about to change), and I hardly ever use my Pistolsplats. Also, I think I have lightly-modded new BBBB that I don't use, mainly because it won't work.

EDIT: Also, I rarely use my SM1500 (sadly) or my semi-broken BBB.

#236802 Bladder Indicator Light.

Posted by Salmon on 16 June 2009 - 05:26 PM in Modifications

Excellent mod, and cool gun. And to think all this time, I'd been ripping out those little lasers in NFs, thinking they were useless...
Also, I have to ask, is that a Dremel 200 I spy in those pictures? If so, I would NOT recommend using them for cutting plastic. Their lowest speed is 15,000 RPM, which in my experience makes plastic melt and fume like crazy.

Thanks. It's a Dremel 100 actually. It has a single speed and it does make plastic fume a bit with the cut-off wheel and quite a bit more with the sanding drum. I thought this was normal. What do you recommend? I try to always work in a well ventilated area but I suppose if my kids come out with 6 eyeballs and webbed feet, I know what to blame it on...

Yeah, I used a Dremel 200 for the longest time, simply assuming fumes came along with cutting plastic. Then I discovered it was actually melting the plastic slightly, and quickly switched to a 300 model. They go from 5,000-35,000 RPM, and can cut plastic with little-to-no fumes until you get past setting 4, which is supposed to be ~12,000 RPM. Since you say your Dremel is a single speed, that single speed is probably as high as the highest speed on other Dremels, which makes it even worse of an idea to cut plastic with one.
A Dremel 400 should work to, as will a Dremel Stylus, but a 400 is really expensive and cordless Dremels like the Stylus suck.

#236723 Bladder Indicator Light.

Posted by Salmon on 16 June 2009 - 10:29 AM in Modifications

Excellent mod, and cool gun. And to think all this time, I'd been ripping out those little lasers in NFs, thinking they were useless...
Also, I have to ask, is that a Dremel 200 I spy in those pictures? If so, I would NOT recommend using them for cutting plastic. Their lowest speed is 15,000 RPM, which in my experience makes plastic melt and fume like crazy.

#235833 When An External Air Source Becomes Cheap

Posted by Salmon on 12 June 2009 - 01:20 PM in General Nerf

In my opinion, HPA-powered automatics should be allowed, since their range is low enough (and reload long enough) that it makes it fair. If some people like to run up and shoot like the dickens at everything they see, let them do that. But only automatics. No HPA-powered BBBBs or AT2Ks, unless you have to manually refill the tank/bladder by pump, and even then, I wouldn't really like to see them at a war.

#235660 Ultra Dumb Ls. Halp!

Posted by Salmon on 11 June 2009 - 03:33 PM in Modifications

Ok, I'll make this simple.
For a springer, you want a snug/tight-fitting barrel, because it will create pressure. In spring-powered guns, there is generally a lower volume of air getting pushed out relatively slowly, so that pressure is essential.
For an air gun, you want a loose barrel, because a large amount of air is being expelled at a very high speed. Since you don't need the added pressure building up, and you want low barrel friction, loose is best.
Get those two wrong and your gun will completely crap out on you. I recommend you also add a few springs, such as a spring from a Big Bad Bow, and put some kind of breech on your gun. Since you're new and seem relatively inexperienced, I suggest you "single" your gun using Ice's method, which you can find here.

Welcome to the 'Haven.

#235333 Daft 09

Posted by Salmon on 09 June 2009 - 09:54 PM in Nerf Wars

Also, are we going to have a pistol round? If so, will all types be allowed, or only springers?

#235276 The Gemini

Posted by Salmon on 09 June 2009 - 06:27 PM in Modifications

Ranges are typical of stock-ish Switchshots - around 50" flat.

I'm not sure if that was a joke, a typo, or you being completely serious. I'll assume it's a typo, but considering the Switchshots are stock...

Also, great mod, it looks as if it would be fairly practical in a war, at least in a pistol round.