azrael's Content

There have been 318 items by azrael (Search limited from 16-January 97)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#334554 EAT (Extreme Alpha Trooper)

Posted by azrael on 07 October 2013 - 01:22 PM in Modifications

No one will take this seriously without information about your darts.

Even then, I really don't think the Elites move enough air to get this kind of range.

#333651 Looking for a good blaster to hopper and use as a primary.

Posted by azrael on 02 September 2013 - 01:48 PM in Modifications

Double posting, the perils of using a tablet.

Since I have this post slot, sorry, does anybody know where can I find an AirMax 10? My local wallyworld and Target only carry the six and the one.

Just bought one an hour ago from Kmart.

#332993 I'm Hoping to Avoid Feeling Overwhelmed

Posted by azrael on 13 August 2013 - 09:24 PM in Homemades

Don't forget that many old school air guns from Nerf like the Supermaxx or Airtech series, or even the air powered Buzzbee blasters can be modified into a NIC war worthy blaster, and I would argue that it might be less work for a less experienced DIYer than building a homemade blaster.

#334563 EAT (Extreme Alpha Trooper)

Posted by azrael on 07 October 2013 - 02:40 PM in Modifications

I call wind hax. Please chrony and then get back to us. If it shoots over 130 fps (highly unlikely), I will eat my red mage hat.

#334567 EAT (Extreme Alpha Trooper)

Posted by azrael on 07 October 2013 - 03:44 PM in Modifications

Can be built with parts from radioshack and home depot.

www.network54.com/Forum/79537/thread/1312148525/Poor+Man%27s+Electronic+Chronograph

Your range claims are just ridiculous, considering most homemades with (presumably) much higher spring load and air volume were found to have much lower ranges in a different experiment.

#339296 New AABow Write-up

Posted by azrael on 02 June 2014 - 05:26 PM in Homemades

No, it makes it so you have a rear grip, making it easier to aim and release.

Ah, are you guys using the PVC tee as a brace?

I haven't had much difficulty in aiming mine, although I do admit it is less accurate than a conventional blaster.

#339283 New AABow Write-up

Posted by azrael on 02 June 2014 - 11:17 AM in Homemades

Why did you decide to eliminate the firing stabilizer from Kane's AABow write-up? It is the only thing that makes AABows actually usable blasters in NIC wars and is by far the best feature of any homemade bow blaster created.

What exactly does the stabilizer do? It just keeps the plunger moving forward in a linear fashion, right?

#331299 Starting My Research Here

Posted by azrael on 26 June 2013 - 01:05 PM in Homemades

Here's a useful thread for you:
http://nerfhaven.com...showtopic=21429
The second post is what I think you'd find interesting.

#333253 Has anybody gone far enough to create a Vortex Homemade?

Posted by azrael on 19 August 2013 - 07:39 PM in Homemades

Actually, if you search, there have been people making home made vortex discs on NerfHaven.

#329026 Engineering Nerf guns

Posted by azrael on 24 April 2013 - 10:42 PM in Darts and Barrels

Oooh. What's been updated? I think I first found your Nerf Ballistics Physics awesomeness about two months ago?

Really enjoyed it, mostly because a lot of it either confirmed some of my theories or gave me a new way of thinking about things.

#329094 RoughCut 4x4 "Dudley"

Posted by azrael on 27 April 2013 - 02:32 PM in Modifications

Nice!

Any chance of a firing video?

#334309 Inexpensive Chronograph

Posted by azrael on 28 September 2013 - 04:14 PM in General Nerf

I think data from a chrony, when collected in a reliable manner, is much more useful than the average range tests. Now, there are people out there who conduct meaningful range tests. I don't see them often. I don't see people taping levels to their blasters, etc, etc.

In any case, I think that a chrony can be a useful tool for anyone wanted to see the effects of their modding. You can see meaningful data, instead of just estimating results, or blindly following popular modding practices.

But that particular Madbull chrony is probably not a good one to buy. Even if Duke has had no problems with it, there are enough people on the internet who DO have problems with it to make me consider not buying one. And if the real deal 100+ dollar one has problems, then I would say that a Chinese knockoff is just as prone to having potential problems, if not more.

These work, my school has these. You just need to not be unintelligent.

http://www.alibaba.c...Sensor_for.html

Or you can build one? It's just IR emitters and detectors.
I just posted a homemade chrony on reddit.

#333396 Yet Another Wye Iteration

Posted by azrael on 23 August 2013 - 05:57 PM in Darts and Barrels

I always wondered how you got the insides so clean.

What printer are you using?

#335886 Release of a New Type of Ammo??

Posted by azrael on 09 December 2013 - 05:25 PM in General Nerf

I'm wondering if with these you could cut off the suction tip and have a solid tip elite. Without an air hole thy might be much more accurate.

EDIT: I think if they are good quality and in fact are more accurate they will be well worth Hasbros time. I know i'll be cleaning out shelves of them.

a test was recently conducted which seemed to suggest that inaccuracy was not greatly influenced by the hole in the dart, and suggested that excess muzzle blast was actually the isue.

#336371 AT2K goo gauge removal

Posted by azrael on 06 January 2014 - 08:22 PM in Modifications

I just reinforced my AT2K tank with fiberglass mesh and resin and epoxy putty. Was super easy to do, definitely consider doing it for the stock tank.

#342249 Stryfe Battery Question

Posted by azrael on 03 October 2014 - 03:26 PM in Modifications

Lithium batteries from a laptop are not high discharge, though. Just FYI.

#341298 Custom Dart Questions

Posted by azrael on 18 August 2014 - 05:29 PM in Darts and Barrels

Well, it also can't leave a welt/bruise, so that we don't have pain tolerance come into effect.

Most of my darts have been used for a little while so the foam is worn I bit. I'd just like something that lasts a bit longer. I actually found a pack of whistle darts I bought a while ago with really great foam (It feels a lot stiffer/denser than elite foam), so I might try to transplant the tips off some old streamlines and see how they fly.

Still pretty subjective. I have yet to received a bruise from a hot glue dome stefan. Some people out there have skin made of out vanilla pudding, I swear.

#341200 Custom Dart Questions

Posted by azrael on 14 August 2014 - 07:32 AM in Darts and Barrels

They're not cheaply made, IMO. I like Koosh darts.
You could also try the Elite Suction Tip darts.

And silly HvZ pain tests. So subjective.

#336502 Release of a New Type of Ammo??

Posted by azrael on 16 January 2014 - 01:31 AM in General Nerf

By "muzzle blast" i'm assuming you're talking about springers and air-powered blasters...

While firing overvolted Stryfes across an open basketball court I noticed that most of my (almost mint) N-Strike Elite darts would travel straight for about 30 ft. and then abruptly curve off in one direction, almost like a kicked or thrown ball that had some spin on it. Although the inside of the Stryfe barrel is rifled i'm skeptical that this leads to any spin of the dart and the initially straight trajectory tells me that whatever's going on happens to the dart in-flight.

While I have a limited number of Elites at the moment I plan on somehow sealing the holes in a few and testing them. Hell, I might even do a write-up. Unless someone has done it before and I haven't found that post.

EDIT: for completeness

You know, a lot of people complain about Stryfe accuracy, but mine works really well in an area with no wind.

The barrel should never cause spin unless the dart hits it, which, ideally, it should never do.

#333387 Yet Another Wye Iteration

Posted by azrael on 23 August 2013 - 02:46 PM in Darts and Barrels

Right, I'm familiar with the process, I have one for prototyping at work.
Do you have any support material on these?

#334296 Inexpensive Chronograph

Posted by azrael on 28 September 2013 - 10:51 AM in General Nerf

Researched it, I recommend reading reviews. There seems to be a significant amount of people with problems. The same problems between different users - I think that speaks volumes for their QC.

#333380 Yet Another Wye Iteration

Posted by azrael on 23 August 2013 - 10:22 AM in Darts and Barrels

Any idea when you'll have more wyes in stock?

EDIT: Woops, thought this was in the sales forum. My bad.

#330571 Tek Recon

Posted by azrael on 04 June 2013 - 08:27 PM in General Nerf

Ammo is about 20 cents per rubber band. So not that cheap. Comparable to Elite Darts.

#332424 Voltage upgrade = burning foam?

Posted by azrael on 28 July 2013 - 08:29 PM in Modifications

Plastidip eventually peels off too. I believe some people are using athletic tspe now.

#337817 Any Nerf people here in So Cal?

Posted by azrael on 28 March 2014 - 08:49 PM in General Nerf

Definitely should come to a SCUN event. I live a bit more south than most of the group, though.

#338299 Air Max 10

Posted by azrael on 18 April 2014 - 10:17 PM in Modifications

I've never had a problem with back pressure tanks and a dual action bike pump. I don't think so, at least.

#338246 Air Max 10

Posted by azrael on 15 April 2014 - 12:54 PM in Modifications

Very nice work, some good tips in there for sure. I too, would like to see some chrony data.

Why was it necessary to remove the Bell pump's cap? I use those too, pretty cheap from Walmart. However, I just use old bike tubing's connector to connect tubing. Works great as a check valve, too.

Finally, the inspiration I need to mod my Air Max 10.

#332434 Voltage upgrade = burning foam?

Posted by azrael on 28 July 2013 - 11:39 PM in Modifications

Athletic tape actually sounds like it would be much worse. Instead of just pealing off, it would leave a sticky mess on the flywheels.

I haven't done it, but it's not rubbery kind. I have seen it used on drum sticks and golf grips, myself. I don't know the proper name for it.

#325122 Strongarm AR Removal

Posted by azrael on 07 January 2013 - 01:11 PM in Modifications

Very nice. Nerf made some good improvements to the Maverick design, like the improved seal.

What kind of spring looks like a good replacement for the stock one?

#327925 Nerf Elite Strongarm Clip Mod

Posted by azrael on 12 March 2013 - 03:08 PM in Modifications

One would expect that you must apply approximately 59 Newtons to prime it.

Ha ha. thanks for the conversion of units. :P
I was hoping to see if maybe I just installed it wrong or something, or maybe my gun is messed up. The sliding mech doesn't catch on the tube anymore really, or at least it pops off due to the amount of force the spring exerts.

There's just been a couple of issues I've had with mine, tried rebarreling one barrel with the polyester tubing on mcmaster, and that didn't go over well, actually resulted in a loss of range - possibly due to the fact that the plunger only forms a temporary seal with the barrel. But I've seen people doing it with CPVC, so I dunno what's up.

Welp, just kinda rambling now.

#327878 Nerf Elite Strongarm Clip Mod

Posted by azrael on 11 March 2013 - 04:57 AM in Modifications

How hard is it to prime with the 6kg spring? I found it crazy hard, really easy for the priming mech to not catch the plunger, too.

#332020 A Better Alternative to Spade Bits

Posted by azrael on 17 July 2013 - 10:22 AM in Darts and Barrels

I actually used a dremel on my first hopper. Worked great for that smooth bore.

#329222 How Elite is Elite?

Posted by azrael on 01 May 2013 - 12:09 PM in General Nerf

80 feet with the an AT? I dunno...Shouldn't be possible with a reverse plunger with just a stronger spring. Who knows how wind or bouncing is affecting measurement.

TBH, I'm a bit over ranges. I don't really trust people's measurements anymore. I feel like the only accurate and universal measure of performance is the use a chronometer.

Would have been better to compare a non-elite retaliator rather than an AT; different blasters have different performance anyway so it's not a valid test of elite vs. non-elite.

Most of the difference in Elite blasters is also the darts, so I'm not surprised. If you compared elite/non-elite same-model blaster with the darts they came with, the results would favor the elite. I imagine that giving both blasters elite darts would still favor the elite slightly, since they are supposed to have minor upgrades over the non-elite versions.

lolwut. The direct plungers make a fairly significant difference, it's not just darts.
I think it's an okay test, since most of the reverse plunger blasters have nearly identical internals/plunger volumes.

#330794 Is anyone interested in CAD drawings of stock parts?

Posted by azrael on 11 June 2013 - 01:25 PM in Homemades

Most 3D printers that people have at home can't do replacement boltsleds, no way that it's strong enough, or a high enough resolution. But it might allow for stuff to be submitted to a service like Shapeways, so we can get something like stainless steel printed parts from them.

#330751 Is anyone interested in CAD drawings of stock parts?

Posted by azrael on 10 June 2013 - 06:07 PM in Homemades

If it's like schematics, you drew the model, so I'm pretty sure you're okay. I think it's only bad to show the design files if they were originally created by another company.

I think this is pretty cool, a lot of people are doing 3D printed stuff now, so this may come in handy for the next generation of homemades.

#332519 C.V.A.S.P.

Posted by azrael on 31 July 2013 - 01:23 AM in Homemades

Very cool, always cool to see something different, I'd love to see a demo video.

#332521 C.V.A.S.P.

Posted by azrael on 31 July 2013 - 01:58 AM in Homemades

Hah, I hear that. infamous and I never get anything done as a result of LoL.

Also, I'll be that guy: approximate ranges?

#332902 On a Quest for Better Stefan Range

Posted by azrael on 11 August 2013 - 07:53 PM in Darts and Barrels

I'm no veteran but I believe that it's the length of your stefan that is affecting it's flight.
Stefans are usually only 1.5" in length because that's the optimal size to balance with the #6 washer and felt tip. At 3 inches the front is much heavier than the rear causing it to dive bomb.

You want a heavier front, that's what makes darts flight stable.

Toast, if you bought from Kane, he explicitly says not to use them with metal. So stahp.

#329235 How Elite is Elite?

Posted by azrael on 01 May 2013 - 07:37 PM in General Nerf

Chrony is decent, but it's not an accurate and/or universal measure either. You can still hit 100ft with 180fps, or 250fps... There's more to it than just how fast the dart is going.

It's a very real and definite way to determine how much a modification has improved the efficiency of a blaster. I said nothing of hitting 100ft, unless I'm mistaken?
It's accurate if you do it correct. Not everyone does it correctly.

I've seen many range tests where people do not even have the gun PTG, and call it as PTG ranges.

#328272 A Clip for Elite Darts?

Posted by azrael on 22 March 2013 - 11:17 AM in Modifications

Where did you buy your brass from? Not all brass is meant to telescope cleanly, or it may need polishing before it works.

I see no reason why an inline clips doesn't work, but it's so much deadspace with a full length dart.