14 replies to this topic

#1 A side of nerf

A side of nerf

Georgia Nerf Lives

• Members
  • 755 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:52 PM

Whats good NIC? Long time, no see!

So after returning to the world of Nerf after a 2-3 year break, I found a whole new world of blasters. (When I left, the raider was the latest blaster on the market)
Upon reviewing the progression of blasters, I found, not to my surprise, a bunch of reshelled N-Strike blasters. ZOMG CLIPZ.
One blaster, The Rough Cut , caught my attention.
I mean, just look at it, it's fucking sweet..
I initially planned to integrate two panther rigs into the shell, but I discovered that clownieX already did that.

So I decided to come up with something new, something that made the already sexy RoughCut look even more sexier

[/cliche' "I'm back" intro]

Posted Image
The Rough Cut 4x4 AKA Dudley

Project Goals:
+ combine two RoughCuts into one blaster
+ Avoid using liquid adhesives (Hotglue, epoxy, JB Weld, etc..)
+ Link both blasters to one handle and trigger
+ Link the priming mechanism into one shotgun style pump.

So here's the write up guys.

Tools:
+ Drill (with 1/8" bit, 5/32" Bit)
+ Some form of saw (for Nylon rod)
+ Dremel tool- while not impossible to do without, this is strongly recommended
+ Screwdrivers (flat or phillips depending on which type of bolts you purchase)

Materials: new modders, be not afraid! this list looks more complex than it actually is, its a force of habit..I grew up in the +bow days when CaptainSlug had a detailed partslist for a run to the grocery store...
Most of these are available at your local ACE hardware or Home Depot, I have some parts that came from McMaster Carr but for those of you younger nerfers out there, or those of you that can't access internet commerce (Mom, can I have your credit card?), I will note substitutes that you can use to accommodate the modification
+ 2 Rough Cuts
+ A little bit of 1/8" polycarbonate plastic sheeting [Check your Home Depot, ask for 'Lexan']
+ Bolts: (if you don't understand the measurements, present this list to your friendly neighborhood hardware man and he'll know exactly what to get for you)
  • ten 6/32 x 1/2"
  • six 6/32 x 3/8"
  • four 6/32 x 1 1/4"
  • one 6/32 x 3/4"
  • one 6/32 x 3 1/2"
+ Nuts/Washers
  • twenty 6/32 washers
  • five 6/32 nuts
+ Nylon 6/6 Rod 1/2" diameter: about 7 inches [McMaster product key:8538K18]
  • This can be substituted with 1/2" diameter dowel rods at ACE, drilled with a 1/8" drill bit
+ four 6/32 1/4" threaded round standoffs [McMaster product key: 93330A441]
  • This can be substituted with 1/4" diameter dowel rods at ACE, drilled with a 1/8" drill bit

Notes:
+For reference purposes I will define the following:
  • The "Inside Shells" are the blaster halves that face inward, and are bolted together.
  • The "Outer Shells" are the blaster halves that face outward and are not bolted to each other.

Posted Image
So purchase your two Rough Cuts, I recommend WalMart, they give you 16 darts as opposed to 8 (you're gonna need em')

Posted Image
Unscrew the 3 screws on the priming pump and pop it off to access the blaster's internals.

Posted Image
Okay, now that she's cracked open, feel free to modify the blaster in any way that fits your needs. There are various mods including Air Restrictor Removal, Speedloaders, etc.. that can improve the performance of the blasters, I chose to leave mine stock because currently I'm just dicking around indoors. Basically at this point, do what you need to do for performance, as that is a minor focus of this modification.

Posted Image
Ok, so you need to select two halves to be the "inside" shells, these will be the two parts of the shell that are used to connect to each other. They need to be opposite sides from each blaster. Once you've got them selected, drill eight holes using a 5/32" drillbit in the areas displayed in the picture.

Posted Image
Cut four 1 1/2" pieces of the 6/6 Nylon Rod. [dowels if you're substituting] These will be your connecting pieces.

Posted Image
Using a 1/8" drillbit, drill holes in both sides of each piece of nylon [I recommend using a vise to secure them, it is important that the holes that you drill are as straight as possible, to ensure a good, clean fit.]

Posted ImagePosted Image
Using 6/32 x 1/2" bolts and 6/32 washers, bolt the pieces of nylon to one side of the "inside" shell

Posted Image
Go ahead and bolt the other "inside" shell to the nylon, so you can get it threaded, and get a feel for the new shell [you will periodically unbolt and rebolt as you assemble]

Posted Image
Using you Dremel tool (or other precision cutting tool), cut the "outer shell" halves [the halves that will face outward] as indicated in the above picture.
These handles will be saved to be used as the blasters final handle, because they are preserved by the cutting process.

Posted Image
Again using your Dremel tool, cut the "inside shell" to the general shape indicated above. It is important to note that it is a different cut than the previous. Look closely, and try to match the pattern.

Posted Image
Using a 5/32" drillbit, drill four holes in the handle sides you saved and the corresponding "inside shell" as pictured above. You'll need to do this for both "inside shells"( red X= measure twice cut once xD)

Posted Image
Now use you 6/32 x 1/2" and 6/32 x 3/8" bolts along with 6/32 washers to attach the 6/32 x 1/4" threaded standoffs [or dowel rods if you're substituting] to the blaster handle as shown in the picture. These will be used to attach the handle to the blaster.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Use 6/32 x 1/2" and 6/32 x 3/8" bolts along with 6/32 washers to fasten the handle to the "inside shell" as displayed above.
Now that you have a feel for the handle's attachment, unscrew it so you can begin the final assembly.

Edited by A side of nerf, 27 April 2013 - 12:56 PM.

Southeast Nerf Contingent

#2 A side of nerf

A side of nerf

Georgia Nerf Lives

• Members
  • 755 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:56 PM

THE TRIGGER ASSEMBLY

Posted Image
Using your cutting tool of choice, sever the two triggers as indicated above.

Posted Image
Cut two, small rectangular pieces of polycarbonate [lexan if you're shopping at home depot] and drill two holes with a 5/32" drill bit.

Posted Image
The items above comprise the trigger assembly. Use a 1/8" drillbit to drill the holes in the trigger pieces displayed above. The bolt is a 6/32 x 3 1/2" length and will serve as the connecting piece.

Posted Image
Assemble the trigger with the polycarbonate pieces by bolting it on with a 6/32 x 3/4" bolt and nut.

Posted Image
Alright, now you want to cut rectangular slots on the "inside shells" where indicated in the photo. This is a 'look then cut' kinda deal. The 3 1/2" bolt that controls the trigger assembly will pass through these slots so use that as a reference for location. Now is also a good time to connect the shells permanently by bolting in the nylon rods.

Posted Image
Place the trigger piece into the catch assembly where it would normally rest, then thread your 6/32 x 3 1/2" screw through the 1/8" hole you drilled.

Posted Image
Pass the bolt through the trigger and it's polycarbonate strips as pictured above.

Posted Image
Now is a good time to bolt the handle on for final placement. Make sure the bolt has passed through the polycarbonate on the trigger evenly.

Posted Image
Now that the bolt has come up through the second "inside shell" , thread it through the second trigger piece that is positioned in the catch assembly, just as you had on the first side.

Posted Image
Now that the triggers for both blasters are linked to a central handle and trigger, you can assemble the blaster in completion.

THE PRIMING MECHANISM

It turns out that the priming mechanism on The Rough Cut is awesome for modification (unlike the longshot) because of its external placement.

Posted Image
Using a 5/32" drillbit, widen the holes of the priming levers, and slide the 6/32 x 1 1/4" bolts though as shown above.

Posted Image
Drill corresponding holes in the shotgun priming grip.

Posted Image
Secure the shotgun priming grip with nuts on the inside of the grip for a solid attachment.

And you're done

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I play a lot of Humans vs Zombies and I designed this blaster to be the ultimate foam spraying machine. This mod doubles the amount of darts a single RoughCut can fire. Each trigger pull launches 4 darts down range at your opponent. This mod also maintains the stock blaster’s attributes of controlled release (2 darts, then 2 darts) and slam fire mode. It’s zombie killing time.

Some additional notes and suggestions:
+ This modification has a lot of do-it-as-you-go work involved. While I have provided instructions to the best of my ability, there's always minor tweaking involved when you attempt to re-create a mod. If you have any questions throughout the process, feel free to ask.
+ I found that some of the plastic right above the handle bears potential for hand diddle, I'd also pick up some tape or foam to apply where you feel necessary
+ (4 x 4 = 16) :D

ASoN

Edited by A side of nerf, 27 April 2013 - 01:06 PM.

#3 azrael

azrael

• Members
  • 393 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 02:32 PM

Nice!

Any chance of a firing video?
Better Nerf By Science!
http://nerfscience.blogspot.com/

#4 Phree Agent

Phree Agent

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 02:53 PM

When I first saw this mod I was expecting just huge globs of hotglue holding the 2 blasters together and a ziptie across the triggers. I am super impressed though with the quality here! The price tag on this thing (x2) still scares me away from trying it myself.

#5 A side of nerf

A side of nerf

Georgia Nerf Lives

• Members
  • 755 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 06:56 PM

azrael-

Posted Image
^ Firing video, [click] ^

#6 Griever 2112

Griever 2112

• Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:04 PM

I got to say pretty impressive. This is the nerf equivalent of Reggie's 4 barrel shotgun from the Phantasam movies. (look it up youngins)

Griever 2112 still plays with his alpha trooper quite often despite owning one of the scariest +bows.

My Youtube Page

#7 Nerfomania

Nerfomania

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:38 PM

Awesome work, We better see you at the next war I host! :P
20:45 Talio I'll have the talk with you
20:45 Talio penis in vagina
20:45 Talio fin

#8 clownieX

clownieX

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:41 PM

Dam you Griever 2112, ya beat me to it. Good job on the build, may try this myself. Big fan of the rough cut, think its got a of potential. Would like to see tactical grip on the front. May try this one myself.

#9 A side of nerf

A side of nerf

Georgia Nerf Lives

• Members
  • 755 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 11:05 PM

Yeah the blaster's shell has a lot of dead space, making it ideal for modification and integrations.
If you end up trying it out clownie, let me know if you run into any questions, i'll be glad to help.

#10 481IceDragon

481IceDragon

• Members
  • 245 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:04 AM

I'm more impressed with the way you fastened the shells and grips together then anything! It looks very clean that way instead of just blobs of epoxy and hot glue. Great write up though!

#11 Plopper

Plopper

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:44 AM

That is unwillingly bad ass! I like how you attached the two shells together.
Great job!
The picture says all. I am the wise man.

(\__/)
(+'.'+) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny
(")_(") into your profile to help him gain world domination. (yes i found this on another profile)

My Blog
-plopper

#12 KitAdrian

KitAdrian

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:13 PM

Love it, but I have to suggest an alternate name.

To me, it seems more like a Reggie Deluxe. In order to understand the reference, you'd have to see Phantasm II, where one of the characters welds two double barrel shotguns side by side.

#13 A side of nerf

A side of nerf

Georgia Nerf Lives

• Members
  • 755 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:29 PM

Griever 2112, ClownieX, and KitAdrian have motivated this youngin' to watch the Phantasm series

Edited by A side of nerf, 01 May 2013 - 05:41 PM.

#14 Fostis2

Fostis2

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:34 PM

Very nicely done. But does it keep the slamfire option???
USER WAS WARNED FOR THIS POST

Edited by Zorns Lemma, 26 June 2014 - 01:19 PM.

#15 JackDC914

JackDC914

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 09:49 AM

Impressive job! Love the clean integration. Just a question. Is it at all bulky/hard to hold? Also, have you thought of doing a fore grip, like on the retaliator, instead the stock slide/grip for easier operation?
USER WAS WARNED FOR THIS POST

Don't post in old threads unless you have something worthwhile to say. Your post was 90% fluff.

Edited by Zorns Lemma, 03 August 2014 - 06:07 PM.

Bionicle 2015!!!
HYPE TRAIN!!!! Woooooo woooooooo!
"I'm going to whip this duct tape at your knee cap if you shoot me again!"
-Lars

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users