- What barrel length maximizes muzzle velocity?
- What muzzle velocity will my Nerf gun have if it has X characteristics?
- What will the range of my Nerf gun be if it has X characteristics?
- How can I maximize the range of my Nerf gun?
- How safe are my darts? Can I shoot an eye out or bruise someone with my Nerf gun?
- How tight do darts have to fit to get good performance?
- How can I make my Nerf gun more accurate?
- How many shots can I get from a tank?
I've been informally distributing some fairly mathematical notes I wrote about engineering Nerf guns for several months now. These notes are a compilation of many things I've written since 2009 and are in no way complete or entirely accurate. But they are much better than what passes for Nerf physics currently. All the questions above are addressed in some form.
2014-03-29 version of my notes
The point of this thread is to discuss these notes and other theoretical aspects of Nerf gun design. Generally, "theory" threads are disallowed at NH, but that's because they are usually have no basis in reality. This thread hopes to remedy that.
Post if you have any questions about or suggestions for my notes, the details about how Nerf guns work and how to improve their function, or new ideas to investigate theoretically or experimentally. My hope is that engineers in the hobby can congregate in this thread and help each other, rather than have to wade through the muck elsewhere.
PM me about typos rather than posting them here.
Edited by Doom, 29 March 2014 - 05:18 PM.