NerfMonkey's Content

There have been 1000 items by NerfMonkey (Search limited from 30-January 97)

By content type

See this member's

Sort by                Order  

#86292 Stereoscopy

Posted by NerfMonkey on 02 August 2006 - 12:46 AM in Off Topic

I'm not sure if this is worthy of its own thread, and I generally try to stay away from posting too much off-topic stuff, but since if you post in an old thread it will no longer go back up to the recent threads list, I decided it was. I know this is no new concept but I wondered if anyone else has tried it.

Stereoscopy is the process of combining two 2D images to form one 3D image. You take two images at two slightly different angles from the subject and put them backwards, so that the image at the angle your right eye would normally see the subject at is on the left and vice versa. If you don't get it check out the Wikipedia article on it. http://en.wikipedia....iki/Stereoscopy

I created one and it's really quite easy. It doesn't seem to involve as much calculation as you might expect to get the angles good enough. This is the only one I've done so far. I know it's boring but it was mainly just a test. Look at these two pictures and cross your eyes. You should then see one 3D image in the middle of two 2D images. The fan and the backpack to the right of it stand out the most.

http://img86.imagesh...ge=3dfanai0.png

So, has anyone else tried making these kinds of pictures or any other interesting things like that when they were bored?

#69996 Ballgun Stefan Mod Writeup

Posted by NerfMonkey on 27 December 2005 - 09:03 PM in Modifications

EDIT: I was aware of the picture per post limit, but not 'dynamic pages in image tags', so here's the NHQ thread for those interested.

Thread

If I'm not allowed to link to my mod on another site, please tell me and I'll try to figure out a way to post the whole thing here.

#46433 Johnny Carson Dead

Posted by NerfMonkey on 23 January 2005 - 07:15 PM in Off Topic

Johnny Carson, who was 79 years old, died of emphysema today. It was probably from smoking. For those of you (if anyone) who didn't know, he was the host of "The Tonight Show" before Jay Leno took over. He was supposedly surrounded by his family.

#62260 At3k+brass

Posted by NerfMonkey on 19 August 2005 - 07:31 PM in Modifications

Most people say brass is pretty light and I've seen a few mods that use brass. I think you'd be fine with it. You should make the barrels whatever length they are in cx's mod on this site, just with brass I guess.

EDIT: Brass is fine. "The barrel material is very difficult to find and can be replaced with 9/16" OD K&S brand brass tubing for very similar performance."

-cx's AT3k mod.

#66412 Nerf Experiences

Posted by NerfMonkey on 23 October 2005 - 02:18 PM in General Nerf

I did this with an RF20 and was able to fit about three 1/2" shotgun darts down each barrel, making for loads of fun just unloading on targets. Given that it only got about 15' flat, it was very impractical for wars, but next I'd like to try an RF100 now that I have some fresh foam.

#50764 Nerf Wars In Oh Anybody?

Posted by NerfMonkey on 27 March 2005 - 06:48 PM in Nerf Wars

Check out The Big List of Nerfers. It lists all the Nerfers (at least those who are members of NerfHQ).

#350787 Team Maximizer UNITE!

Posted by NerfMonkey on 15 January 2016 - 01:46 PM in Off Topic

Fucking ouch.

Never mind; I thought it was exploded.

#97376 Rf20 Ideas

Posted by NerfMonkey on 29 December 2006 - 07:09 PM in General Nerf

One has been done but not written up.

Two has been done and written up.

Three is just stupid.

Four...we don't give a fuck if you're puking on the floor, this thread sucks. Try these ideas on your own instead of telling all of us to give you pictures of them and stay off the forums when you're drunk.

#118742 Yellow Nf Spring Vs Older Nf Spring

Posted by NerfMonkey on 07 August 2007 - 07:06 PM in Modifications

They're pretty much the same size but you'd be surprised at the difference in how difficult it is to compress an old style NF spring compared to a new one. If you're going to add bungees or bands to the gun it won't make much of a difference anyway but if you don't plan on doing that I recommend the old style spring; it'll make a huge difference.

#130404 Green Scheme

Posted by NerfMonkey on 22 November 2007 - 10:51 PM in General Nerf

The yellow one also has blue instead of black.

I bought one of those packs a few weeks ago and posted a writeup for the Single Teks which includes pictures of the green Big Blasts.

Posted Image

#359109 University of Akron Nerf War, April 21st!

Posted by NerfMonkey on 08 April 2017 - 07:08 PM in Nerf Wars

I'm going to try to get out to this one since it's only an hour drive for me. Got a rough headcount?

#104409 Pumping On My At2k Is Messed Up

Posted by NerfMonkey on 07 May 2007 - 05:23 PM in Modifications

Check valve problem is what it sounds like. Or maybe the o-ring on your pump just came out of place or shrunk and isn't making a proper seal. Check the o-ring first and if it's shot replace it, and if you can't find a problem with the pump shaft itself you'll probably have to completely replace the pump with a new one.

#152072 Troubleshooting Section

Posted by NerfMonkey on 19 April 2008 - 06:33 PM in Site Feedback

I don't have a problem with sifting through threads in the mods section to see which ones are worth reading; besides, if someone has a problem with a gun that I can help them with I'll usually make an attempt to post some useful info. A troubleshooting forum isn't needed, it would only lead to more threads in the wrong place and more people yelling at new members.

#133739 Unfriendly Handshake

Posted by NerfMonkey on 24 December 2007 - 09:43 PM in Modifications

I couldn't follow that very well.

What's so hard to follow? He took a Ripchord turret and stuck it on a Ball Blaster.

If you reduced the amount of barrels to three (either by plugging two of those or just putting in three homemade ones) it would probably get higher and more consistent ranges. I put seven barrels in mine but didn't realize that was way too many, but I think three would be good. Nice concept anyway, even if the ranges are shit.

#82783 Hamma Time!

Posted by NerfMonkey on 05 June 2006 - 03:44 PM in Off Topic

The thread title made me think of a t-shirt of mine...

Posted Image

Happy birthday dude!

#356395 Mega Double Breech- NOT a shotgun!

Posted by NerfMonkey on 24 October 2016 - 08:25 AM in General Nerf

Looks pretty cool to me, aside from the whole not firing thing. It reminds me of a giant Sharpshooter II, which was always one of my favorite blasters. I'll probably end up buying one unless somebody on here takes one apart and proves that it's a piece of crap. I'm a sucker for big springers. Thanks for the info!

#108459 Magstrike, Pc Ranges?

Posted by NerfMonkey on 30 May 2007 - 09:22 PM in General Nerf

Both my PCs are very reliable. One I've owned for a year and a half and the other for six months; neither of them has had any problems.

Like CS said the ranges are around the same, but my Magstrike got a few feet (maybe 5) on my PCs, probably because the clips are a tighter fit on my Stefans.

#81965 Yet Another Sharpshooter 2 Mod

Posted by NerfMonkey on 17 May 2006 - 05:02 PM in Modifications

http://nerfhaven.com/mods/cxwq_ssii/

It's not really a new idea.

#309453 R.E.S.O.L.U.T.I.O.N.

Posted by NerfMonkey on 13 January 2012 - 04:22 PM in Nerf Wars

That sounds amazing. 7 hours is a little too far of a drive for me right now, but if you guys are still doing stock wars this summer and I can round up a few people it may be doable. I'd drive 7 hours to have a real nerf war with guns that don't shoot 150' if there was a decent turnout.

#84142 Rapid Fire 20 Pumping Problem Thingy.

Posted by NerfMonkey on 01 July 2006 - 05:43 PM in General Nerf

You can't overpump an RF20, it's got a pin on the bladder that releases excess air when it gets too full.

Your o-ring on the pump might not be making a proper seal anymore; it could also have a leak in the tubing. If it's the o-ring you'll need to buy a new one and if it's the tubing you'll need to replace it or find a way to patch it up. Use Plumber's Goop to fix the tubing or use 1/4" OD vinyl tubing to replace the broken section. If it's the o-ring you should be able to find a new one at a hardware store, or so I've heard.

Good luck.

#69913 Nerf Rpg

Posted by NerfMonkey on 26 December 2005 - 10:50 PM in Homemades

Sexy. I'd like to see you connect that trigger to the rubber band. Good job man, tell us how it works out in your war.

#49862 Air Tech 3000 Problem

Posted by NerfMonkey on 16 March 2005 - 10:50 PM in General Nerf

When I pull the pump back about 3/4 of the way, it pressurizes it. If I do this about four times, I have a pressurized tank. Could it still be the check valve? This is an inconvenience, but at least I can still use it.

#50557 Airzone Crossbow

Posted by NerfMonkey on 25 March 2005 - 10:04 PM in General Nerf

I got one a few weeks ago. I chopped off the air restrictor on the end of the barrel and shoved a Crayola down there. It gets about 50' flat for me. It could have been done better with some brass, copper, etc. but I was short on materials. I don't use it much, since it's a single shot gun. It's decent and the ROF is okay for a pretty good micro shooter. I kept the bow parts on mine, but lost the strings. I use those circle-shaped holes on the bow arms as ammo holders. The ones on the outside fit 1/2" Stefans beautifully. I'd recommend buying it for $10.00 if you're into Blast Bazooka-esque guns.

#49819 Air Tech 3000 Problem

Posted by NerfMonkey on 16 March 2005 - 07:14 PM in General Nerf

Okay, I just got the AT3K two pack at TRU. They worked fine for stock Air Techs, but after shooting the silver one about twenty to thirty times, it leaks. It worked the first few times after laying around for a few hours, but then every time I pumped it, it leaked. As soon as the pump handle is pulled, the air escapes. The barrels also don't rotate. I did a search on this, but didn't find anything about leakage. Please help, it's really pissing me off.

EDIT:Wait, it rotates, sorry. There is a severe leak in it, though.

#47126 First Shot Cpvc

Posted by NerfMonkey on 12 February 2005 - 12:21 PM in Modifications

Are you using stock micros or the micro dart-like ones that came with the gun? Anyway, very nice.

#46486 Lbb Finished

Posted by NerfMonkey on 24 January 2005 - 07:26 PM in Modifications

I finally got around to my good old Lanard Blast Bazooka. All I did was saw off the last 1/2" of the barrel, jam a Stefan in there and shoot. I just did it and can't range test it yet, but I am guessing it will have a maximum range of about 70'. I didn't brass it. I'm sure this has been done before, but I couldn't find anything about it on the site. I'll tell you when I find out the range (with Stefans, stock micros and BB missiles).

#46511 Lbb Finished

Posted by NerfMonkey on 24 January 2005 - 10:33 PM in Modifications

Yeah, I know. I meant I couldn't find anything about just sawing off the tip of the barrel, not brassing it. Sorry for the confusion. >EDIT< I just tested the range. I get around 60-65' on good Stefan micros. I tried jamming about three 1/2'' long Stefans in the barrel. I only got about 30-35', but it had about a 15' spread. I could probably fit about six in there, but it would probably have horrible range then. I'm quite happy with it! :ph34r:

#51428 New Color Scheme

Posted by NerfMonkey on 02 April 2005 - 10:51 PM in General Nerf

Someone brought this up over at NHQ. I think another company bought the Blast Bazooka and changed it. As far as I know it's still the same gun though.
EDIT: Here's the link if you want to see it.

#53111 Ammo

Posted by NerfMonkey on 21 April 2005 - 04:34 PM in Homemades

Foam backer rod (FBR), also known as poly foam cualk saver, is the standard material for darts. If you are planning on making micros, buy 1/2", if you want to make megas, buy 5/8" and if you are planning on making nanos-which is extrememly unlikely-buy some 3/8" FBR.

#66750 Anyone For Some Discussion?

Posted by NerfMonkey on 28 October 2005 - 11:31 PM in Modifications

Exterminator modded his Mav with CPVC. One of my friends did this too, and I should try it as it gets about 50' flat. I think that's about all you'll get unless you do light, light, light, very light spring replacement like Duce, which I think he said got like 60' flat(?). I like my Maverick but don't use it too much due to its poor range and accuracy.

As for the Firefly, I don't like them. The same friend with the CPVC Mav has one; he says he's going to CPVC it, so we'll see how that goes. I don't think there have been any mods other than restrictor removal and spring replacement (with some reinforcement of course).

I got my BBB for $20, but I think some places still have them at $25. As Uncle Hammer said, they're only at TRU and I like mine. I use it a lot because of its solid feel.

Basically, the Mav has a little potential, but not a lot, and the Firefly I'm not too impressed with. It's horribly uncomfortable and only gets about 40' flat with the restrictor mod and I can't see it getting any more with CPVC.

#305056 Possible Place for a nerf war

Posted by NerfMonkey on 27 September 2011 - 12:16 AM in Nerf Wars

Hosting a war isn't hard, it just takes a little initiative and research if you're looking to use a park that you think will require a permit to use. Post a thread here with relevant information and possible dates and go from there. "I'm a newb" really isn't a valid excuse.

EDIT: Telling people you suck isn't a great way to get them interested either. Have some balls man. Good luck if you end up hosting a war.

#63207 Prototype Trampoline Spring Nerf Cannon

Posted by NerfMonkey on 06 September 2005 - 06:14 PM in Homemades

Looks very nice, but unless you plan on adding a cap to the back end, isn't there a slight chance that hook could slip off and the spring fly and hit you in the face?

Anyway, I like it. I never thought to use a spring like that, I always thought you had to use a spring like in the stock guns.

EDIT: Oh, I get it. Never mind, looks really good.

#59141 1/2" Pvc

Posted by NerfMonkey on 12 July 2005 - 03:12 PM in Modifications

I don't know why Nerf micros wouldn't fit. I'm not sure how putting PVC over the Crayola helps, so I'd say yes. I did a regular Crayola mod on mine and get about 49' flat with bands. It's not the best but it gets the job done. You can do a straight Crayola mod, but having PVC over it looks better, at least I think so. Good luck.

You should start using Stefans too, unless you can't find materials.

#57829 Gotcha Ball Blaster

Posted by NerfMonkey on 20 June 2005 - 05:17 PM in General Nerf

Master Blaster.
Posted Image
That it?

#73065 Airtech 3k Mod Problems

Posted by NerfMonkey on 13 February 2006 - 05:11 PM in Modifications

That's not your OP valve, it's the check valve. I lost both 3ks the same way. It might have been due to the fact that I did a craptacular job plugging the pump and got a mound of glue on it, so if you have another be careful plugging the pump. If the gun just loses all the air as soon as you pump it that's the check valve and I'm not entirely sure, but I don't think there's a way to fix that other than just replacing the stock pump with a totally different one.

If you plan on doing this, just take some 1/4" outer diameter vinyl tubing and replace the stock 3k tubing with that. Connect it with Plumber's Goop to both the 3k tank and the new pump you're using. You probably won't be able to keep the cool shotgun-esque pump, but it would be a lot better to have a working gun with a new pump in it.

#72877 Supermaxx Buzzer Air Bazooka?

Posted by NerfMonkey on 11 February 2006 - 07:40 PM in Modifications

Um, why don't you just try something? It looks like the same thing as an LBB to me, why couldn't you just add a new barrel? It doesn't seem that hard.

EDIT: So break it off? If it's just a plastic piece snap it. And not all missile weapons like that have an O, I have no idea what you mean; the Titan and Blast Bazooka don't, and neither does the Maxshot.

#50574 Ghostbusters Gun

Posted by NerfMonkey on 26 March 2005 - 12:20 AM in General Nerf

Check this out:

Ghostbusters gun I saw this on ItalionStallion's site and that was the only place I saw an actual review of it. I've heard it was the first ever foam firing gun.

#82398 Broken Powerclip

Posted by NerfMonkey on 27 May 2006 - 06:47 PM in Modifications

Oops, yes, the purple seal thing was what I meant. I'm not sure what's wrong then, because when mine was screwed up I just took it all apart and pretty much redid everything, I took out all the parts and put them back in, but I was sure it was the green thing. Sorry, don't know what to tell you. Good luck.

#83629 Smax 3000 Mods

Posted by NerfMonkey on 23 June 2006 - 12:42 AM in Modifications

You might be used to other forums but generally here, if you post a thread like this, people will yell at you and tell you to search. So, search damn it!

Use the search function here and use Google. I'm not going to provide links because hopefully this will discourage future threads like this. You won't get a warm reception here if you don't take the time to search before asking a question.

#89415 Is It Possible?

Posted by NerfMonkey on 09 September 2006 - 04:49 PM in Modifications

Don't worry about it; if anyone like munson yells at you, pay no attention. See, the problem with these types of people is that they used to be newbs, and now that they've been here for a while they think they have the authority to yell at people who are very new like you, and act like complete assholes. But some people like munson just stay n00bs forever, even after they're no longer newbs. So just ignore them.

About the mod. Just try it and see if you can do it, I'm not sure though because the walls of the Crayolas are very thin so you can't really sand them down to fit. I think your best bet would just be to do what some others have done to their Scouts and simply remove the peg. Or you can go to www.freewebs.com/sdnerfteam/sqiggssmods.htm and find his Crossfire mod. It's the second one down. I never really saw it shoot but it got pretty good ranges supposedly. It's fairly simple too. If you don't have access to CPVC (I can't imagine you don't), or you just really want to nest a barrel in the stock one, you could always go with a paper barrel. It sounds dumb but if you just take a sheet of paper and wrap it around your dart, and then tape it in a tube shape and cut it to the right length, they actually work decently. You can get a perfect custom fit for your own Stefans (or stock darts) and can add tape as necesary to get it to fit in the stock barrel. Good luck.