Here's the thread you need...

184 replies to this topic

#1 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 05:30 PM

As more and more people, new and old alike, acquire and inquire about their brand-spankin' new Longshots, how they can modify them for increased performance, and to stave off excessive traffic from Forsaken_Angel24's mod directory, here's the direct links to most of the practical Longshot modifications.

LET ME START WITH THIS WARNING: If you are new to Nerf blaster modification, these modifications aren't the best one to start out with. Part placement is crucial, you need great amounts of patience, and understanding of theory of how spring-powered Nerf blasters work. If you break your brand-new $30 toy, don't go posting all over how you ruined your Longshot. Consider yourself warned.

And for those modifying Longshots for the first time, take this advice from master modifier Captain Slug;

TO REMOVE THE ORANGE PRIMING HANDLE USE A CLAW HAMMER

THE ORIGINAL: Carrtoon's foundational Longshot mod; Air restrictor removal, spring additions.

THE WORKS: Forsaken_Angel24's HIGHLY advanced modification; brass breech, cleanly integrated front blaster, trigger fires both weapons. Absolutely "wicket". Definitely not for beginners.

The Inventor Guy's mod; he made his Longshot fire stefans!

Boltsniper's Longshot mod; who doesn't like anything that he makes, anyway?

Dark Shrimp's Longshot clip mod; two can be better than one and one.

Captain Slug's innovative "shotgun" foregrip; there still may be some for sale...the original foregrip design.

Dart Attack's integration mod; both pistol (now integrated) and rifle fire from the same trigger! And it looks mean!

Captain Slug's modified clips...more 12-shot wonders from the "Slug-master".

bpso86's Longshot mod; PETG with a stock breech assembly, and it works!

Fenixharth's Longshot Carbine; Make a shorty Longshot without sacrificing range or accuracy!

Shorty's CPVC'd Longshot mod; 100 foot shooter, clipless, but versatile for outdoor wars.

OfAllTheNerf made this awesome Longshot/DTG hybrid; clean, and who wants to contend with 22 shots?

Here are the cosmetic mods and showoff threads...all nice ones.

CROW's cosmetic work; he'd best be careful about taking that thing in public.

Spark's LS cosmetics

SPU-Nerf's cosmetics; for some reason I really like this one.

Darkstarfire's broken bolt; I just included this because his LS looks really funky. Good funky. I hope it's fixed.

Shorty's AR 43 Carbine; Shorty usually irritates me but for some reason I think his Longshot rocks my socks. Plus, it's functional as heck.

If I forgot your mod or showoff shot, sorry. There are so many posts on the LS, I'd figure that the wave of Penny Arcade readers that make their way here, in addition to all the new LS owners that would have somewhere for quick reference.

This will be updated as necessary.
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#2 SPU-Nerf

SPU-Nerf

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 08:39 PM

Thank you for liking (and posting) my mod!

#3 Omega

Omega

• Members
  • 287 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 11:55 PM

Muwahaha. Excellent. I have begun my crusade for a primary weapon, and the LS is well on its way to being that.

As a side note, I know that TIG did a mod so that the LS's clip would accept Stefans in a friendly manner, but is there any way to make it so that both gun and clip accept stock taggers?

If not, is there any particular recommended method of modifying taggers so that they fit?

Sorry about the swift inquiry, but I have a birthday party on Sunday, and I desperately need to mod my LS so that it can beat the crap out of the competition. Expect to see me at several SoCal Nerf-Offs. :w00t:

Thank you, Sir Piney, for the gift of this thread. *Boweth*

First post, by the way. Expect to see more, and hello all.

I shall become the modificationator. I have ambitious plans for making some truly BAMF guns. :P
QUOTE(Vishamon)
My rule is that those wearing a thong are considered to be invisible to other players.

#4 Retiate

Retiate

• Members
  • 778 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 05:12 PM

As a side note, I know that TIG did a mod so that the LS's clip would accept Stefans in a friendly manner, but is there any way to make it so that both gun and clip accept stock taggers?

Simple. Make you Dart Tag darts into CDTS's. This involves cutting off the velcro tip, adding weights, then putting a dome of hot glue on top. For weights, I have been using slingshot weights and BB's.
I get better ranges with the BB darts, around 15-25 feet better (tested using my Pump Shotgun). Though the BB's have less accuracy due to the weights being slightly off center.
Here's a tutorial on how to do it, you have to scroll down, it's post #65. Except instead of cutting off the rubber inside the dart, I'd gently pull the tip off by seperating the glue on the tip from the foam, then just kind of twisting, turning, and pulling the tip off. This will make your darts longer, so they will work in your clip with less problems. You'll know what I'm talking about when you read the link.
Tutorial

#5 Omega

Omega

• Members
  • 287 posts

Posted 20 October 2006 - 08:03 PM

Thank you very much, Reitate. I love this site, there are so many helpful, experienced Nerfers. I did a short forum-stalker stint on NHQ, and there were too many people with single-digit IQs for my taste.

Again, many thanks.

And Uncle Hammer, yes, that LS is awesome. I seem to recall one I liked better, though, it had the original N-Strike color scheme.

Edited by Omega, 20 October 2006 - 09:00 PM.

QUOTE(Vishamon)
My rule is that those wearing a thong are considered to be invisible to other players.

#6 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 05:06 PM

TO REMOVE THE BOLT HANDLE USE A CLAW HAMMER

So that these images are easier to find in the future...
Posted Image
Bigger
Posted Image
Bigger
Posted Image
Bigger
Posted Image
Bigger

SPRING REPLACEMENT OR ADDITION SUGGESTIONS
What I tend to use is a 4-3/4" section from an AR-15 action spring. You can buy them for $2-$3 from any gun shop or for $4.50 from Here: http://www.bravocomp.....ne action.htm
The ideal spring dimensions you are looking for are 3/4" ID, .06" to .08" wire gauge, and 4-3/4" uncompressed length. Anything bigger than that will be too strong or will not fit.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 05 April 2008 - 01:34 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#7 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 780 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 04:48 PM

As this is a pinned topic, I don't feel quite so bad reviving it. There is a cross/star shaped piece on the plunger tube, and I was wondering if it is really necessary. If so, where the hell does it fit? I didn't notice it when I split mine, and now it is tucked up in the corner stopping my jam door from opening. Any help/pics is greatly appreciated.

Edited by Prometheus, 01 April 2007 - 05:08 PM.

QUOTE(VACC @ Jan 24 2008, 06:12 AM) View Post
I am NEVER going to sleep naked in the bed of a former child star ever again....seriously

#8 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 05:30 PM

There is a cross/star shaped piece on the plunger tube, and I was wondering if it is really necessary. If so, where the hell does it fit?

That nub on the outside of the plunger tube fits into a little hole in the gun shell.
The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#9 deathwolf

deathwolf

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 06:11 PM

I have a question.

I've replaced the stock spring in my LS with an arrowstorm spring, but my ranges are only about 65' flat, and 75' at a slight angle. Is a BBB spring thicker/stronger than an arrowstorm spring?
BROOD XIII

#10 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 06:24 PM

I've replaced the stock spring in my LS with an arrowstorm spring, but my ranges are only about 65' flat, and 75' at a slight angle. Is a BBB spring thicker/stronger than an arrowstorm spring?

1. Is the wire gauge of the arrowstorm spring thicker than the stock spring?
2. Is the uncompressed length of the arrowstorm spring longer than the stock spring?
3. Does the arrowstorm spring have more coils per inch than the stock longshot spring?

I've never used a BB spring. I've been cutting 4-3/4" to 4-5/8" sections off of AR-15 action springs which have a wire thickness of .072". And you may want to look into improving the plunger head seal.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 22 May 2007 - 11:37 PM.

#11 deathwolf

deathwolf

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 01 April 2007 - 06:45 PM

The arrowstorm spring is a little bit thicker, much longer, and has less coils.

I think I'm going to redo the seal on the plunger.
BROOD XIII

#12 Hiro

Hiro

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 08:16 PM

I just modified my longshot... and now my longshot clips jams more then before the gun was modified, does anyone know what the problem is and what i can do?

#13 SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

• Members
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 08 April 2007 - 09:05 PM

I just modified my longshot... and now my longshot clips jams more then before the gun was modified, does anyone know what the problem is and what i can do?

Jamming while feeding darts, or jamming while being removed/inserted from/into the gun?

Either way, make sure the bolt is pulled all the way back to move the clips. Also do not slide the bolt back more than one time per loading unless you modified the system to be able to shotgun-load darts.
The only commonly shared fate among us all is death. I turn to the shadows so that I may not be unfamiliar with hell's corridors when I arrive. - SHADOW HUNTER ALPHA

Founder of the Shadow Militia.
Founder of Nightshade Laboratories and The Nightshade Armament Corporation.

#14 Hiro

Hiro

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 11:57 AM

Oh sorry about that, here are the mods i did, but none seem to of did anything that to of cause the problem... basic mods which include NF spring, plugging the hole in the plunger tube, and adding a new o-ring to the plunger. Also no mods to the magazine, so the any problems with the magazine is out of the question.

Edited by Hiro, 09 April 2007 - 11:58 AM.

#15 Hiro

Hiro

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 12:39 PM

I used the spring from the grey NF the one before the newest yellow one, sorry if im not clear though, im not sure what the version is though, V3 i think....

Edited by Hiro, 09 April 2007 - 12:39 PM.

#16 nerfboi

nerfboi

• Members
  • 858 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 12:54 PM

Yeah it's the V3 you got there. I have the old school one and I put it in my Longshot with it's stock spring and its really hard to pull back.
We Ride together, we die together, Bad boys for life.

#17 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 780 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 11:32 PM

Well, I didn't have my plunger tube in properly, so mine didn't cock right, so the bolt didn't travel back 100%, so the mag would not come out. Then CaptainSlug told me where to stick it (pun intended), and now it's all better. Your mag might be catching on the edge of the bolt.
I am NEVER going to sleep naked in the bed of a former child star ever again....seriously

#18 Spork

Spork

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 01:05 PM

Thanks this helps no much!

#19 Exile

Exile

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 07:05 AM

I have a Long shot, like any one else. And i've already made simple changes to it, so i wont talk about them because they mean nothing really.

What i want to know is the Guage/Length/Specifications of a BBB Spring or a NF spring as found in Cartoon's builds. I have the gear for a new Plungerhead (washers, i forgot who had the idea.) And its a little off, but i'd like to have a new spring before i mess with the plunger any further.

I've searched this forum for a solution since i bought the LS and i cannot find any sort of specifications on the springs (I really dont want to spend money on a new gun just for a single damn spring)

Edited by Exile, 22 May 2007 - 07:06 AM.

#20 Gengar003

Gengar003

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 09:00 AM

This spring http://www.del-ton.c...ng_p/lp1013.htm cut down to as long as your LS plunger tube.
I bought Kohls.com's last two AirTech 2000s.

#21 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 09:11 AM

no no no, cut it down to roughly 3-3/4". Any more than that and it won't compress enough to allow the plunger to reach the trigger plate. And you will need to add a stronger spring to the trigger plate as well.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 22 May 2007 - 09:12 AM.

#22 Gengar003

Gengar003

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 09:36 AM

My bad. I just cut one ring at a time off of mine until it fit and worked, so I didn't have a length.
I bought Kohls.com's last two AirTech 2000s.

#23 flameboy

flameboy

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 05:30 PM

So that these images are easier to find in the future...
Posted Image
Bigger
Posted Image
Bigger
Posted Image
Bigger
Posted Image
Bigger

SPRING REPLACEMENT OR ADDITION SUGGESTIONS
What I tend to use is a 3-3/4" section from an AR-15 action spring. You can buy them for $2-$3 from any gun shop or for $4.50 from Here: http://www.bravocomp.....ne action.htm
The ideal spring dimensions you are looking for are 3/4" ID, .06" to .07" wire gauge, and 3-3/4" uncompressed length. Anything bigger than that will be too strong or will not fit.

Hi I was wondering If you could point out where you take out the A/R or where It Is. That would be great

#24 Prometheus

Prometheus

• Members
  • 780 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 10:49 PM

no no no, cut it down to roughly 3-3/4". Any more than that and it won't compress enough to allow the plunger to reach the trigger plate. And you will need to add a stronger spring to the trigger plate as well.

I bought a AR15 spring from Gyrvalcon, who bought it from you. I cut it to the same length as the original spring, and it cocks fine. It was roughly 4 5/8" long, not exactly sure.

#25 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 11:33 PM

Gah, I'm repeating the measurement I used to cut the nitefinder spring instead of the longshot one.
The optinal AR-15 cut longshot spring is 4-3/4" to 4-5/8". 4-5/8" is a bit extreme and is the maximum length I can get to work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users