Fast-action Rifle Writeup And Plans

Writeup and Plans for Boltsnipers FAR

105 replies to this topic

#26 EleMenT

EleMenT

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 01:37 AM

jdp204 (or anybody else who has one) could you test the strengh of the spring for me. about how many pounds does it take to push it down an inch (or any other given length)
Honor the brave who fought,
Honor the dead who fell,
Honor the world they saved.

#27 jdp204

jdp204

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 06:11 AM

i cant do it with my arms, probally becasue of the fact it can bens away, but my xp power spring is very hard.
ill edit this when i get a good measurment later today probaally

#28 TimberwolfCY

TimberwolfCY

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 08:25 AM

Holy crap, that thing is beastly. When I first saw it I was thinking, "Oh great, another psuedo-real-looking Nerf gun...poser." Than I started reading the mod write-up and I thought, "No, not a poser...maybe I need to send myself to a re-education camp..." That thing rocks BoltSniper.

I'll never get around to building one, but I was curious: according to your write-up, you got it up to 80 feet. Do you think you will get it up to 100, or are you happy with the way it is? Just curious.

Mad props again.
"Denial is the most predictable of all human responses. But, rest assured, this will be the sixth time we have destroyed it, and we have become exceedingly efficient at it." - The Architect, The Matrix: Reloaded

TimberwolfCY
of NH, NHQ, NO, NC

#29 NJNerfer

NJNerfer

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 04:23 PM

he used a normal power spring. maybe the people using an xtra power spring will see a difference. i am still buying all the materials so i wont know for a while...
Wah!

#30 NJNerfer

NJNerfer

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 04:28 PM

off topic just a bit: is bolt's site down because none of his pics are loading anywhere...

EDIT:crap just realized i double posted. someone delete this please...

Edited by NJNerfer, 15 April 2005 - 04:28 PM.

Wah!

#31 EleMenT

EleMenT

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 05:25 PM

on his website i realized that too, but if you right click in where there should be a picture and click "show picture" it should work
Honor the brave who fought,
Honor the dead who fell,
Honor the world they saved.

#32 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 05:33 PM

off topic just a bit: is bolt's site down because none of his pics are loading anywhere...

http://nerfhaven.com...boltsniper_far/
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#33 WEASEL

WEASEL

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 05:38 PM

Bolt, how do you keep the carbon rod and spring from springing out of the ejector hole when the shell flips out?

#34 boltsniper

boltsniper

• Contributors
  • 591 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 06:23 PM

I am running the XP spring in mine currently. There is a lsight increase in range. it probably shoots around 90 now. Not a siginificant increase. There also isn`t a significant descrease in range when using a carbine spring...which i thought was surprising.

My site and the what is on Nerfhaven are the same thing. Start using NH's cause I will likely take mine down for the space. Unless you are referring to my old site with the Bolt-action. I have neglected that one for a long time. I plan to revamp it and add the FAR to it eventually. All the pics are still in there just truncate the adress and browse through the open directory.

The ejector is held in with a retaining pin. Read the writeup. I adress that in there. There is a slot cut in the ejector and apin is inserted through the side of the bolt that engages the slot. It is pretty obvious on the detail drawing of the bolt.

The stiffness or a standard AR spring is about 13-14 lb/in. The XP srping is probably around 15-16 lb/in. When cocked the spring is fully compressed from a free length of 13" to 4.5". That translates into an intial force on the plunger of around 120 lbs.

So, has anyone made any progress. Anyone getting close to finishing? Anyone have any pictures of their progress?

#35 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 12:25 AM

So, has anyone made any progress.  Anyone getting close to finishing?  Anyone have  any pictures of their progress?

I guess I'll go first...

Posted Image

Here's the initial parts cut layout, with some fitting/ getting the "concept" of it. I'll take a half-day off tomorrow to start Dremeling and hacking with my miter saw (buttstock, etc), and perhaps some pre-assembly. Also going to pick up the o-rings for the plunger.

Again, I'm copying Boltsniper's concept of a spring powered plunger weapon, but I'm nixing the magazine for a simple bolt action breech feed of direct ammo (no shells). I'll have to obviously alter the design a bit, and I'll be consulting you, Bolt, when (not if) I get stuck anywhere. Thanks in advance.

Posted Image

Another view. Just a bundle of scrap PVC pieces waiting to become my answer to everyone's Crossbow superiority complex.

-Piney-

EDIT; Just to prove that Bolt's rifle is possible even on a shoestring budget, I'm primarily using scrap PVC pieces from my irrigation shop storage (I have more than our local ACE hardware store :D), and trying to only go to buy absolute essentials (o-rings, composite rod, etc.). Everything else I plan to raid from the Nerf parts bin, or use household items. I'll report any great finds.

Edited by Pineapple, 16 April 2005 - 12:34 AM.

-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#36 mayhem

mayhem

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 04:50 AM

I have a question:

I don't understand the ejection mechanism.
I've read through most of the write-up, and I went back to the bolt-section to see how the shells actually get ejected. Now, after reading through that section (and looking at the excel drawing) I'm still slightly stumped.

I understand the components, and I vaguely understand how you put it all together. But I DON'T see how it works. I haven't had very much contact with real bolt-action weapons,and so I'm quite a leek (a word?) to the whole bolt-action thing. If you could quickly explain how the shells eject, that would be great. (I read something about the shells getting caught on something, and then the next shell being forced up pushes them out... hmmm... it's still confusing to me.)

And I can't play the videos, it tells me i'm missing a ceodec, when I tell it to look for it it just... doesn't. Do you happen to know how to fix this?

And I almost forgot to mention: that is seriously awesome.

O, and piney.. it's looking good !

Edited by mayhem, 16 April 2005 - 05:01 AM.

#37 NJNerfer

NJNerfer

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 07:26 AM

ok, bolt will have to back me up/ correct me on this because i havent built it and he has. but i have (i think) i very good understanding of the guns design.

within the bolt (as shown in the pics) is a piece of 1/2" coupler with a piece of 1/2" pvc set in it. This is what the shell makes contact with. Drilled into the 1/2" coupler is a small hole, in this hole is placed a penspring and your ejector rod. a pin keeps this rod in place, a slot is cut through the rod and that is where the pin goes. oh yes, when you take the bolt and look down the front of it. the ejector is on the right. now on the otherside of the bolt is a piece of pvc with a hooked portion on the end. see pic

Posted Image

now when the bolt is fully forward and the shell is in the chanber, the ejector is fully depressed. but when the bolt is drawn back, the ejector pushes the shell out crookedly (sp? real word even?) the shell is pushed against that hooked pvc peice and flung out of the bolt.

if you could watch the videos it is clearly shown... this is as best as i could describe it in words alone.

Edited by NJNerfer, 16 April 2005 - 07:32 AM.

Wah!

#38 boltsniper

boltsniper

• Contributors
  • 591 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 08:34 AM

Looking good Piney! Looks like ou are almost done there...minus assembly. Can`t wait to see it finished.

Mayhem, NJNerfer exmplained it about as good as it can be in words. I`ve ecplained it about 10 times already and there is no reason me typing the same crap again will help you any. Check out the second flash animation here. Focus your attention on the detail shot of the bolt at the bottom right corner of the flash window. It clearly shows how the ejector, extractor, and shell work together. If that doesn`t clear it up for you I`m not sure what will......

If your using Window Media Player, if its a codec it knows about it will download it automatically. If you haven`t already go to Divx.com and download the codec bundle from there, install it, and see if that helps.

#39 bkdrivethru

bkdrivethru

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 11:07 AM

Alright, I apologize ahead of time for semi-jacking this thread. I was looking at your concept boltsniper, and seeing that, couldn't you incorporate an airtank that you could manually pump in the front so that every time you shoot, the tank releases some air (by another trigger or some other sort of means), blowing back the bolt and the plunger, making a makeshift semi-automatic (kinda like the rf20, but semi-automatic). I know your way is already very efficient, but making a truely semi-auto rifle would be a feat, and seeing as I am less-fortunate with the amount of tools laying around at the house and mechanically inept, I was wondering if this was possible and/or someone would try to adopt my idea. But if someone far more credible than I would look at this and see if it would be possible, that would be great.

Edited by bkdrivethru, 16 April 2005 - 11:09 AM.

#40 NJNerfer

NJNerfer

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 05:24 PM

in my opinion that would be making a great bolt action overly complicated.
it would be bulky since you'd have to make room for the extra trigger and the tank

Edited by NJNerfer, 16 April 2005 - 05:25 PM.

Wah!

#41 pigeon4

pigeon4

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 09:46 PM

For once I agree with NJ. Boltsnipers rifle design seems faster to me. All you do is load a magazine, pull the bolt back fire, repeat until your out of ammo, load another magazine repeat. Adding a tank would make the gun much bulkier and heavier, more complicated, and it's take longer to prime, since you'd have to preassurize the tank. If you are able to find a good expanding bladder it may be a decent gun. Personally, I have been unable too, and using a tank, such as PVC your pressure depleats with every shot, giving you less, and less, ranges.

I'm not trying to shoot down your idea or anything. I just see some complications that you'd have to overcome.
Current Projects:
1.Nerf XM8 Assault Rifle (WIP)
2. Nerf Gatling Gun (in planning)
3. LD-1 Rifle (in planning)
4. Striker Pistol (in planning)
5. Nerf Shotty (in planning)

#42 boltsniper

boltsniper

• Contributors
  • 591 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 10:17 PM

Alright, I apologize ahead of time for semi-jacking this thread. I was looking at your concept boltsniper, and seeing that, couldn't you incorporate an airtank that you could manually pump in the front so that every time you shoot, the tank releases some air (by another trigger or some other sort of means), blowing back the bolt and the plunger, making a makeshift semi-automatic (kinda like the rf20, but semi-automatic). I know your way is already very efficient, but making a truely semi-auto rifle would be a feat, and seeing as I am less-fortunate with the amount of tools laying around at the house and mechanically inept, I was wondering if this was possible and/or someone would try to adopt my idea. But if someone far more credible than I would look at this and see if it would be possible, that would be great.

This rifle was designed from the ground up to be what it is and be efficinet at it. Although you could modify it in a way you described to be semiauto.....it would not be the best way to achieve a semiauto. You would need an extremely high pressute system to retract the bolt. Keep in mind you are displacing two springs.... You are probably talking 2-300 psi necessary to operate the action with a small piston and the only option I see to do that would be CO2. I have come up with some designs for an automatic but they differ substantially from the FAR. I really don`t think its possible to make an autoloader that would be small enough to use as a hand held weapon and have worhtwhile specs. The only viable auto I can foresee is the homemde realm would be a turreted SAW type weapon.

Anyway, lets try not to get too much off on a tangent here.......

#43 bkdrivethru

bkdrivethru

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 12:47 AM

Hah, I gotcha, I was merely wondering if it was possible. Seeing as it is more or less impossible to do without an incredible waste of materials, maybe I'll think of something different.

#44 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 12:58 PM

...I'm just checking in...

...is there anyone else actually working on this project besides me?

I got a bit crooked with cutting the lower receiver, so I'm back to slicing another 1 1/4" section, and will get back to working on it during the week, after work. Plunger is pretty much done, as is the basic parts for the bolt. Again, I'm doing this without a mag/ magwell, so I'm improvising in areas around the upper receiver/ where the magwell supposed to be.

Boltsniper, I'll PM you. I have a question about springs.

-Piney-
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#45 pigeon4

pigeon4

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 04:12 PM

...is there anyone else actually working on this project besides me?

I am. I'm just slacking off now because I'm sick.
Current Projects:
1.Nerf XM8 Assault Rifle (WIP)
2. Nerf Gatling Gun (in planning)
3. LD-1 Rifle (in planning)
4. Striker Pistol (in planning)
5. Nerf Shotty (in planning)

#46 jdp204

jdp204

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 05:53 PM

Bolt, when you cut the pvc do you use soly dremmel? Or do you use a hand saw? I used a hand saw on my proto type project and the cuts came out really nasty like they do for my potato guns.
Also, does the xp spring compress to 4.5 inches? Thanks.
joe

Edited by jdp204, 17 April 2005 - 05:58 PM.

#47 boltsniper

boltsniper

• Contributors
  • 591 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 06:18 PM

For cutting pieces of PVC to length I use PVC shears. For everything esle I use a dremel Handsaw cuts always come out nasty and crooked. If you have a bandsaw or a mitre saw at your disposal, they work very well.

Yes, the XP spring will compress to 4.5 inches as well.

#48 jdp204

jdp204

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 05:32 PM

Um, i just tested my xp spring iand i got it to compress to 3". Is it possibl i have a different spring from you? I orderedit from the websight you provided, and the spring starts off at 13"

Edited by jdp204, 19 April 2005 - 05:33 PM.

#49 NJNerfer

NJNerfer

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 05:49 PM

It may very well compress to three inches. But unless I am hugely mistaken, you only need it to compress to four and one half.
Wah!

#50 jdp204

jdp204

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 06:53 PM

What calculations have you made that would make you hugely mistaken?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users