Dartsmithing Tips Archive

slug and ryan's guides now have their own threads in Ds and Bs

603 replies to this topic

#101 six-five-two

six-five-two

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 10:05 PM

Alot of people here seeem to get their FBR in packages... at my local Rona in Canada, they sell it by the foot. It is like 6-8 cents (CAD) for 1/2" FBR. It is pretty good but it is too fat for CPVC.

#102 Lancaster

Lancaster

• Members
  • 233 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 06:47 PM

Alot of people here seeem to get their FBR in packages... at my local Rona in Canada, they sell it by the foot. It is like 6-8 cents (CAD) for 1/2" FBR. It is pretty good but it is too fat for CPVC.

The kind I buy comes in clear plastic packages, I think 25' per bag. Luckily, my local Lowe's stocks 5/8" and 1/2" sizes.

#103 General Cole

General Cole

• Banned
  • 868 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 07:06 PM

If your foam is to big for CPVC try 1/2 in. PEX that stuff fits my larger foam great.
We should stop calling out/making fun of/pissing GC off. He's actually contributed and is available for trade. He's a better than average member no doubt. Got your back Cole.
-Nerfer34

You know what... I know it's kinda late... but Props Cole.
-Baghead

#104 Timram

Timram

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 September 2006 - 10:42 AM

I make my stefans using a combo of all my favorite tecniques. It allows my lazy self to make easy & effetice darts. I straighten 3ft sections with a blow dryer then cut 2.5in darts. I make the dent in the front with my glue gun fill, the hole with glue, then put a thumb tack in (the ones with the plastic or rubber coating). Then cover the exposed flat head of the tack in glue & wedge the dart in the mouth of a soda can. Gravity makes the glue set in awsome domes & the soda can is a perfect holder. My low temp glue it dry by the time I finish my 1st dart. After i make 10 darts or so I drill out the center with a bendy straw (drilling with the short part till I get to the bend). I really like these darts they really work well for me my unmodded maverick can shoot them 60ft slightly angled (no wind). This is my 1st post I hope this info will help some people with making their darts.

#105 six-five-two

six-five-two

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 11:33 AM

If your foam is to big for CPVC try 1/2 in. PEX that stuff fits my larger foam great.

I think I already tried and it didnt fit. I haven't made much stefans lately because I really suck ass at it. I bought some el cheapo hot glue gun at a dollar store... low temp like what you guys said. But it really sucks...

The el cheapo dollar store one is "10 W/120 V"
The old one I have that is broken is "AC100 V"

Which one is a low temp one?

#106 Omega

Omega

• Members
  • 287 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 04:49 PM

Well, I have my low-temp right here in front of me, and it says that it's 120V 10W.

So, yeah, just go a craft store and get a hot glue gun. Generally, dollar store stuff is worth less than you pay for it. In my experience, anyway.

Edited by Omega, 27 October 2006 - 04:49 PM.

QUOTE(Vishamon)
My rule is that those wearing a thong are considered to be invisible to other players.

#107 six-five-two

six-five-two

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 01:48 AM

I need help with my darts. I am using #8x5/8 screws into my foam. I used a sharpie to dot the middle then hand screwed it in and made it tighter with a screwdriver, then finally added a felt tip. The problem is, I can't get it to be centered so now the darts fly weird... and they are 5-10feet less distance than a dart tag dart.

#108 Vaega

Vaega

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 07:02 PM

Dude secure that screw with some hot glue or something. If you're using a high velocity gun the screw could pop out easily and hurt someone.

#109 six-five-two

six-five-two

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 07:43 PM

I am not going to shoot these darts out of high velocity guns like Titans, etc... I dont think it would be a problem. The felt tip is holding it in place.

#110 Vaega

Vaega

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 08:51 PM

Dude believe me. Sometimes the foam itself rips.

#111 six-five-two

six-five-two

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 09:07 PM

After how long?

#112 Vaega

Vaega

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 09:24 PM

Depends on the gun and the distance your target is.

#113 Retiate

Retiate

• Members
  • 778 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 09:27 PM

Yeah. You really should secure the screw so it wont come out. Even if the chances of the screw coming out are slim, there's still the possibility. And your how long are the screws? If they are too long, then your darts won't fly right.

#114 six-five-two

six-five-two

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 10:41 PM

The screws are 5/8's long. I screw them in with my hand then use a screwdriver to make it as tight as it can be. Then I add a felt tip for safety. I found out today that if I shoot them close range out of a BBB, it will make a slight dent in the wall... So I am still searching for a safe,fast,cheap,good safedart. I have tried Ruffstuff Safe Darts, Foam tipped darts, Stefans with felt tip and a few others... it seems that I will never find a good safe dart...

#115 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 10:45 PM

I have yet to dent anything with my felt-tip washer darts. Or hot glue stefans for that matter.
The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#116 Retiate

Retiate

• Members
  • 778 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 12:18 AM

The screws are 5/8's long.
... ...
I found out today that if I shoot them close range out of a BBB, it will make a slight dent in the wall... So I am still searching for a safe,fast,cheap,good safedart. I have tried Ruffstuff Safe Darts, Foam tipped darts, Stefans with felt tip and a few others... it seems that I will never find a good safe dart...

How long are your darts? If they're around 1" long, then 5/8" screws would be way too long. But assuming your darts are somewhere around 2", I think the screw length isn't your problem.

Your felt tipped darts are denting walls? Wow. Either that is one really high powered gun, or your walls are made of cardboard. My Pump Shotgun shooting hotglue tipped CDTS's might dent walls a little. I haven't tried. Though I know it takes some paint off the walls, that one was discovered from accidentally pulling the trigger.

#117 six-five-two

six-five-two

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 12:26 AM

My darts are 1 1/2" long. I shot it out of my BBB that was couplered. 5 feet away. My house is 9 years old though.

#118 elf avec gun

elf avec gun

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 12:31 AM

Ok so thismorning I was taking my alergy medication (Darned mold) and I looked at the wrapper. It is square shaped and flat, save for one place in the middle where there is a dome. The dome houses the pill and protects it from getting crushed. So anyways I was looking at the thing and I thought: hey this thing could be used to make stefens have really aerodynamic heads! Used as a mold for the hot glue, one would simply add a step after the application of the hot glue, which would be to stick the darts head into the medication wrapper while the glue is still warm.

Now someone might ask: "But Elf wont the hot glue stick to the wrapper?"
Just use some lubricant.

What do you (the collective nerf community) think?
"It's hard to imagine a more specific subset of nerd than our community. One day we shall be studied by a single sociologist whom the other sociologists will mock incessantly." ~VACC

Got Nerd?

#119 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 05:49 AM

Ok so thismorning I was taking my alergy medication (Darned mold) and I looked at the wrapper. It is square shaped and flat, save for one place in the middle where there is a dome. The dome houses the pill and protects it from getting crushed. So anyways I was looking at the thing and I thought: hey this thing could be used to make stefens have really aerodynamic heads! Used as a mold for the hot glue, one would simply add a step after the application of the hot glue, which would be to stick the darts head into the medication wrapper while the glue is still warm.

Now someone might ask: "But Elf wont the hot glue stick to the wrapper?"
Just use some lubricant.

Seems like a good idea to me. This way you would get consistently perfect shaped domes.
I would only suggest getting a seperate one so you don't filthy up anything that houses medication you are using.

Edited by Forsaken_angel24, 30 October 2006 - 05:50 AM.

I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#120 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 09:12 AM

It would be much easier to use the bowl of water trick, but if you want a mold I recomend buying a mellon-baller or metal teaspoon.
Posted Image
The plastic used to make pill tray is a thermo-forming plastic such as mylar, polyethylene, etc. and will deform when heated repeatedly.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 30 October 2006 - 09:13 AM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#121 elf avec gun

elf avec gun

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 10:22 AM

Seems like a good idea to me. This way you would get consistently perfect shaped domes.
I would only suggest getting a seperate one so you don't filthy up anything that houses medication you are using.

They are the packaging that would normally be thrown out.

CaptainSlug: As long as I do this outside there shouldn't be any problem (Toxins from the melted plastic). Or I could Just use it once, set it aside for alittle while to cool down and in the meanwhile use a different one, and keep switching molds. I have a very large supply of these and I dont think that my allergies will be going away anytime soon. These are the perfect size for my darts and they are basicly free for me. It doesnt matter if I get hotglue stuck to them, I could just throw them out, something I wouldnt want to do with a metal spoon. And plus the spoons usually come in packs of all the different measuring sizes.
"It's hard to imagine a more specific subset of nerd than our community. One day we shall be studied by a single sociologist whom the other sociologists will mock incessantly." ~VACC

Got Nerd?

#122 Croc

Croc

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 08:58 PM

Is it possible to buy foam backer rod from a store, and if so, where would you look to buy it?
Since I live in Canada, I don't have an Ace Hardware or Lowes near me.
Today is the first day of the rest of your week : Anonymous

#123 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 09:16 PM

Is it possible to buy foam backer rod from a store, and if so, where would you look to buy it?

Any store that sells weather stripping or window sealant. Just check you local phone book for hardware stores and call a few.

#124 cooldood31

cooldood31

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 09:39 PM

"Is it possible to buy foam backer rod from a store, and if so, where would you look to buy it?
Since I live in Canada, I don't have an Ace Hardware or Lowes near me."-Croc

I live in Canada also. I've been able to find 1/2" foam backer rod in the weather stripping sections at Canadian Tire, Rona, and the Building Box.

#125 Omega

Omega

• Members
  • 287 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 07:50 PM

Hmm. I've made a batch or two of CDTSes and about... maybe, say, 60-100 normal stefans, using blackish Frost King foam at Home Depot. And, looking at pictures of your guyses darts throughout the site, I think that my domes are weird. Bad weird.

I think that I make them too wide (When I make them, it's about flush with the side of the dart, but later they spread out so that I think that they spill over the edge.)

Also, I make them pretty long. I know that this is totally a matter of taste, but about how long do you make your domes?

I hand (finger) shape them using Falcon's method, but I have zero reference point for how long to make the domes. (In case it matters, I use 2" stefans.)
QUOTE(Vishamon)
My rule is that those wearing a thong are considered to be invisible to other players.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)