MONDAY July 20th, 2009

265 replies to this topic

#1 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 02:09 AM

As already determined by the SOF team, on Monday July 20th there will be a war in the Seattle area. Let's start scouting for locations and planning now, so that the SoCal folks aren't left to eating fresh doughnuts at Pike's Place. I'll be the first to admit that I'm not in the best position to be planning this war, but I want to make sure it's big, and do everything I can to attend.

Now, the first issue is that it's a Monday. Not ideal, but at least it's in July, so all of you kids in school will still have the time off. Also, whatever location we choose is likely to be nearly abandoned. Even schools should be usable. I would suggest that we start early, by 9:00AM or so. Again, July is pretty warm, even on the Sound.

Second issue, location: Marymoor Park, Redmond.

Rounds:

Capture the flag
Center Flag Pull
Center Flag Push
Gunslinger's Heaven
Team Deathmatch
Multi-Team Deathmatch
Deathmatch
Only Primaries
Ballistic Balls
Missiles/Arrows?
Pistol Duels
Guardian?

Banned blasters.

Micro dart singled - Titans, Roto-Rockets, Nat-Geos, Pump-plugged BBBBs, SGLs.
RFDG wielders, be aware that we may be abandoning the use of these fine weapons if we clean up too many kills. Just make sure to bring a backup primary.

Attendees:

SOF Team
Draconis (Possible)
TantumBull +1-3
hierarchy
Blacksunshine
Renegademilitia15 +1-2
Retiate
Dayko +1-2
Disturbed
Ril
Fragtacular
Grenada
Ninja Mods

Hopefuls:

silentsnipe +1
Red Star
Boom
ChiliPepperFender
Blackfox +1
nisaburo
Gazoo
Bomberman
Forgottenboomer
Everfire101
G1BRAD (validating)
taerKitty
TreaHouseMods

Note: If I placed you in the wrong section, please let me know.

A note about balls: From my extensive research in to the area of ballistic balls, I have gleaned some information which may be helpful to those building ballguns:

In your experience what goes farther, target foam golf balls or nerf ballistic balls? Also, what kind of fit is best with balls? Tight enough that it won't roll around?

It depends a bit on how you are powering the blaster, and what it is meant for. In stock blasters, NERF balls are definitely the better performing. In particular I have noticed that while the Target balls seem to fit well in the older blasters like my Ballzooka, the dimpled exterior doesn't seem to seal well against the barrel. I'm working on ways around this, but haven't come to a conclusion yet. The issue with stock balls is that they are very light, and so the force applied to them bleeds off very quickly once they leave the barrel. So if you have more power to apply, then the more dense target balls travel farther. I've also had good luck with adding weights to the K-Mart balls. While range improves, it is rather difficult to position the weight exactly at the center, and can have an adverse effect on accuracy. Sometimes they corkscrew. It's kinda neat. :o

In general, a sliding fit is best for barrel of air powered blasters:
Nerf balls = 1-1/2" Thinwall PVC.
Target/Walmart dimpled balls = 1-1/2" SCH40 PVC or ABS
Fred Meyer/K-Mart smooth balls = 1-1/4" Thinwall PVC, though I suspect that 1-1/2" SCH80 PVC would work, I just can't find any.

Now, regarding fit, I've run in to some interesting phenomena. Carbon's research with BigSNAP powered blasters showed that he achieved the best ranges with a small obstruction at the back of the barrel. He used a 1-1/2" coupler with the ridge in the middle sanded down. This allowed the plunger to build the pressure higher before the ball was forced from the barrel. I have yet to build a spring driven ballgun, however, so I can't comment upon this effect. I imagine that the tightness will need to depend upon how good the seal on the plunger is. A weak plunger seal may allow the air to push by it, instead of the ball out the barrel. We'll see. I'll get to it eventually.

Air guns, on the other hand, I've built two and modified two. They definitely work the best when the ball starts out tight. Really tight, like I squish the (usually Target) balls in to a 1-1/4" Sch 80 bushing (I'll measure the ID when I get home). And then it exits in to the main barrel that has a sliding fit. The longer the barrel, the better the accuracy. It works just like finding the best barrel length for darts. Unfortunately, this negates the easy breeching ability of the balls, unless I can figure out a way to nest larger pipe sizes. I'll probably have to use my dad's lathe. Again, we'll see, I'll get there eventually.

Edited by Draconis, 14 July 2009 - 04:35 PM.

[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#2 Falcon

Falcon

Velcro'd Beanpole

• Members
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 02:14 AM

Nice. I like it! Especially the fresh donuts part...great way to start the day, eh?

Back on topic, way to get on the ball!

Most of the locations we're stopping at already have set locations. For those of you who attend wars at said locations, threads like these will be unnecessary (and will just clutter up the boards.) But for those of you in areas like Seattle where there has never been a consistent location, threads such as this are going to prove VERY helpful in getting us on our way!

The reason Seattle was selected was because there is a substantial population of nerfers there, but it has never been able to really pull itself together and have a major event. That's a major part of what Season of Foam is for. Once we have passed through, you all will have had that first major event that will set off the rest of them from then on. You'll be able to have wars long after we're gone (and are capable of it now) but sometimes we just need a little push out the door.

Best of luck! I'll be watching this develop with great interest!

Edited by Falcon, 31 January 2009 - 02:15 AM.

----------||||||||)
QUOTE(Ilùvatar @ 0000) View Post
Of the theme that I have declared to you, I will now that ye make in harmony together a Great Music.

#3 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 02:27 AM

I kinda figured that was going to be the case. I hope that I'll be able to lead a contingent from Oregon up to this war too. I mean, I'm in Salem, and it only takes me 3-3.5 hours to drive to the are, depending upon where we are actually stopping. The Portland guys should be able to do it in 2-2.5.

#4 Renegademilitia15

Renegademilitia15

• Members
  • 516 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 02:57 AM

I'll do it anywhere. Seriously, if the SOF guys are coming to anywhere in WA, I'll be there.
I know me and 5 other guys( Retiate, BlackFox, Heirarchy, My brother, and Robert) are down here around the Port Orchard/Gig Harbor Area, I'd go wherever they choose.

As for Renton, I'd be cool with that. My dad works near there, so I could try and get him to scope out possible nerf locales.

Edited by Renegademilitia15, 03 February 2009 - 10:40 AM.

Singled RFS
FA_24's response to Ice's back pain thread:

I used to have that problem until I got circumcised. 15 pounds later I was able to stand up straight.

#5 Blacksunshine

Blacksunshine

• Members
  • 948 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 07:38 AM

Maybe check out Seaward park. Secluded, trees, cover, open area. Its got it all. Lots of different areas that would be great.
Seaward
Posted Image

If this doesn't work there is of course the location where I host W@M, Marymoore park.

Edited by Blacksunshine, 31 January 2009 - 07:43 AM.

Forgive my spelling and grammar. I post from my cell phone a lot. Sometimes when I'm on the can at work.

#6 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 10:53 AM

Both look like excellent choices. I think I like Seward better, just because it looks a little more isolated. You can look through the Streetview stuff too, and see all of the trees. I think it will be a good idea to have those around in July.

#7 silentsnipe

silentsnipe

• Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 02:07 PM

I will try to be there. But that's only if I have a friend coming. Otherwise my dad will not let me go.
And it's absolutely rated R for the violence. Also boobies. And pee pees.

Talio.

Join TheNerfFreaks.forumotion.com TODAY!

#8 Retiate

Retiate

• Members
  • 778 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 02:44 PM

The area at Marymoor was pretty empty, and we never had any problems with using it, aside from that concert landing on the same day. It was sort of divided into sections (area closest to the parking lot, middle area with the big building, furthest out area with the little shelter), these areas could be adjusted depending on how many people make it (ex: Middle area only, or middle and parking lot areas only).

I have never seen Seaward park, so I don't know how the location will be. If anyone lives near there, going out and taking some pictures would be great.

The only real concern I have is if we get kicked out of one area, what would we do then? Do either Marymoor or Seaward have a backup location nearby?

#9 boom

boom

• Banned
  • 209 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 04:39 PM

Wow a nerf war that is actually coming to WA ya!I will try very very hard to make just have to talk for a long time with my mom.
I'm just the scitzophrenic clusterfuck of randomness that is me.

#10 ChiliPepperFender

ChiliPepperFender

• Members
  • 599 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 05:09 PM

I'll vote the war to be at Marymoor. Also, if nothing comes up that date, I'll try to make it.
[The Blue Tiger][Manta Star]
WTS: Stock Crossbow. PM me if you have interest.

#11 Foamfoot

Foamfoot

• Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 09:12 PM

The reason Seattle was selected was because there is a substantial population of nerfers there, but it has never been able to really pull itself together and have a major event. That's a major part of what Season of Foam is for. Once we have passed through, you all will have had that first major event that will set off the rest of them from then on. You'll be able to have wars long after we're gone (and are capable of it now) but sometimes we just need a little push out the door.

Liar, you just want our coffee.

What about the gasworks park?

Edited by Foamfoot, 31 January 2009 - 09:13 PM.

Pro-pants
(Unofficial) Wii thread
QUOTE(Bedhed117 @ Aug 14 2009, 03:49 PM) View Post

Damn it Foamfoot. Why is it that you kill every good topic with a retarded response a few days late.

#12 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 10:18 PM

Liar, you just want our coffee.

What about the gasworks park?

Gasworks has to many people there. I'm not sure the parks and rec would like us playing there. What about view ridge elementary? I went to elementary school there, and I've airsoft there before. I'll upload pics later.

#13 Disturbed

Disturbed

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 10:29 PM

Yes! A war in WA. i'll definetly try to make it. I think Seaward park looks like a good place to have a war.
If you nerf in Washington, I am a host of SANO, Seattle Area Nerf Out. PM me, would love to add you to the Washington nerf crew.

#14 Red Star

Red Star

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 10:36 PM

Well, Following the success of my two Mods/Write-ups I have a decent Primary and Secondary. I hope I can Attend.
Red Star's Big Rad Bow W/ Red Star Breech
The Red Star Breech

Xbox Live- IS2DI RedStar Add me if your up for some games

#15 Dayko

Dayko

• Members
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 01:28 AM

MaryMoore park is a pretty good spot, but I'm down with anything. I will try my hardest to be there. I'm looking forward to this.

< One foot in death...The other in life. >

#16 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 02:03 AM

Yeah, I'll be there + 1 to 3 guests.

#17 hierarchy

hierarchy

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 03:21 AM

Sweet, I can definitely come. Now I have some more motivation to work on my guns.
Both locations look pretty good to me.
QUOTE(Retiate @ Aug 13 2007, 08:43 PM) View Post

I guess you have some heavy duty industrial strength toilet paper holders. Do they advise you to wear eye protection when changing rolls?

My TTG mod.

#18 nisaburo

nisaburo

• Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 04:25 AM

I don't think that Seward park would work that well. I worked as a naturalist giving tours there one summer. There are a lot of heavily wooded paths connecting small areas, a bit too small to play in. The woods would make dart retrieval very difficult and I don't think we want to be littering in the park. The only large area is the amphitheater, but that doesn't offer a lot of cover.

#19 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 03:57 PM

I don't think that Seward park would work that well. I worked as a naturalist giving tours there one summer. There are a lot of heavily wooded paths connecting small areas, a bit too small to play in. The woods would make dart retrieval very difficult and I don't think we want to be littering in the park. The only large area is the amphitheater, but that doesn't offer a lot of cover.

That's too bad. It' looked pretty cool. Sooo.... Sounds like more people are leaning toward Marymoore? Are there any other suggestions for locations?

Oh, and I updated some of the other info on the opening post. I will certainly continue to do that as we narrow down the information.

#20 Foamfoot

Foamfoot

• Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 04:05 PM

I spent a few weeks in a town called Marysville, North Point Park and Jennings Memorial Park are venues to look into.

Anyone ever been to either of those?

They are however, about 40 minutes north of Seattle.

Edited by Foamfoot, 01 February 2009 - 04:07 PM.

Pro-pants
(Unofficial) Wii thread
QUOTE(Bedhed117 @ Aug 14 2009, 03:49 PM) View Post

Damn it Foamfoot. Why is it that you kill every good topic with a retarded response a few days late.

#21 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 07:13 PM

I dunno, marymoore seems kinda... well, bland. Like there's no cover. I've never warred there, but I've done a fair amount of warring on playgrounds. That is a lot of fun and seems like it would be a lot better than an open field.

Correct if I'm wrong though, I've never been to W@M. This is all judging by what I see on google earth.

Edit: Oh and for banned blasters, are doomsayers going to be allowed? I've heard they upset the fairness of the game.

Edited by TantumBull, 01 February 2009 - 07:15 PM.

#22 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 01:55 AM

I certainly have no problem with them. Hell, I had to buy an RFSG at Cabella's last year on our way home from Seattle. It took me over an hour to find that fucking store from the freeway. Honestly, though... I don't see a problem with any springers, homemade or otherwise. The only thing I might object to is absurdly large air guns that are micro singled.

#23 Retiate

Retiate

• Members
  • 778 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 06:40 PM

Marymoor is pretty open, but I think it can add to the game. It forces people to move a lot, and keeps the pace fast. At the first W@M, we did some rounds with 3 or 4 teams of 3 and it moved really fast and played really well.
I'd take too little cover over too much cover.

#24 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 07:23 PM

I certainly have no problem with them. Hell, I had to buy an RFSG at Cabella's last year on our way home from Seattle. It took me over an hour to find that fucking store from the freeway. Honestly, though... I don't see a problem with any springers, homemade or otherwise. The only thing I might object to is absurdly large air guns that are micro singled.

Watch the Massacre 2 part 1 video. Angel takes out an entire team in under 10 seconds with a doomsayer. No other blaster could have done that. Well actually, maybe if someone was super good with a hornet...

#25 boom

boom

• Banned
  • 209 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 07:40 PM

Who cares FA is an increadible(sp) nerfer from what I've heard.And the doomsayer should compel people to make weopens better than the doomsayer instead of saying it's unfair and not giving it a chance.Also as I've heard it's the nerfer not nerf gun.
I'm just the scitzophrenic clusterfuck of randomness that is me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users