Photo

The Vulcan: Internals And Mods! New Mods Pg.9!

Chain link mod pg.1, Ar removed pg.2, Spring replacement and more pg.9

197 replies to this topic

#1 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 04:28 PM

So I got a notice today at around lunch that it was shipped. Cool, I thought. I'll have it in 4-7 days. 3:30 I checked tracking, oh it was DELIVERED at 11:53!!!

So hell yeah. I've just been pulling out screws non stop. This thing is loaded with em. I'm counting at least 40. Internals have about 8 springs, more with the N-Strike rails. Pictures:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Internals!!!:
Posted Image
You can see the motor bottom right (coils coming out of it). The massive battery pack that slides in through a screw off cover goes right below it. Later, I'll photoshop up a picture like Cs's LS diagram to explain as best I can the functions.
Hey g-force: No need for a hacksaw! the front comes off with one screw! And makes it look like a bazooka!

So here's how it works: Not an inverted plunger!
The cocking handle goes through that orange cover, and when you start to pull, it pulls on the plunger!
Posted Image

Posted Image

That little hooked thing on the end in the next pic is attached to the plunger. It latches onto the firing mechanism.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Pull back more, and just like on the Firefly and others (Maverick), this little 2 phase drum turns the cogs for the belts.
Posted Image

Pull back even further, and the front of the plunger TUBE actually juts forward, to seal around the chain shell!
Posted Image

Fully cocked: Sorry it's blurry, macro was acting up in my camera.
Posted Image

There's a little button here that engages only when a chain is loaded and the chain hatch door is closed. I assume it's some shut off to that it won't electrically fire if it's not loaded.
Posted Image

And here's the nifty little AR. Note: There are no ARs in the chains, only pegs.
Posted Image

More to come in a moment.

Edited by Splitlip, 28 July 2008 - 11:33 AM.

Teehee.

#2 Salmon

Salmon

• Members
  • 447 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 04:36 PM

Back on topic, this thing sounds like a mini-beast. Might be hard to mod. :)

:o
Oh boy. I was right.

EDIT: Ohmigod. It's that simple to connect the chains? I am loving this gun more and more every sentence I read about it.

Edited by Salmon, 24 July 2008 - 04:57 PM.

Welcome to I-dont-care-isburg, population: me.
We're located in I-Don't-Give-a-Damn County, in scenic Shut-the-Hell-Up-achussets.
Maybe you're familiar with our annual charity drive where we ask for shit, and no one gives any.

#3 Omega

Omega

• Members
  • 287 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 04:37 PM

I would like to gloat in the collective face of the dumbitches who said it would be a flywheel/inverted plunger. I KNEW Hasbro wouldn't let us down.

I will find whoever designed this and have his babies. Especially because of how the tube moves forward to create a seal, that totally validates a crazy mod idea I had.
QUOTE(Vishamon)
My rule is that those wearing a thong are considered to be invisible to other players.

#4 Commander Cody

Commander Cody

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 04:49 PM

Kudos!

Mine comes in tomorrow, and well done, hopefully my screwdrivers aren't too beat up.
"An open mind is like a fortress, with its gates un-barred and un-guarded" -Space Marine Librarian

#5 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 04:51 PM

It's not over yet, guys! A quick, 1 minute mod CONNECTED THE TWO CHAINS!!!!!!!

First: All of the screws I had to take out (45 minutes of work!)
Posted Image

Second: The chains each have an end piece.
Posted Image

Third: The chains have pegs, but no air restrictors (as we know them)
Posted Image

Fourth: Separate but equal, like Jim Crow says. Let's get rid of him.
Posted Image

Fifth: Unscrew the 2 screws from one end of each chain, and pop it open. Take off the end cap of one of the chains, but not the other.
Posted Image

Sixth: The one with no cap, cut a slit between the two center holes. Place this into the others en cap, right over the connector slot.
Posted Image

Seventh: Close it up, and PWN with a 50 round chain!
Posted Image

Edited by Splitlip, 10 September 2008 - 11:15 AM.

Teehee.

#6 tatertotguy

tatertotguy

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 04:53 PM

Ever since I saw the pics of the ammo belt I had the theory that the plunger tube creates a seal on the ammo belt and you should be able do cpvc the belt. How long are the screws?

Edited by tatertotguy, 24 July 2008 - 04:56 PM.

"So thats when she says, 'No that's my belly button'."

#7 imaseoulman

imaseoulman

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 04:54 PM

Nice chain mod! Glad to see it was fairly simple. Thanks alot for the internals pics and the info. Knowing that the plunger tube seals around the chain barrel makes me so much more comfortable with this gun's potential. It's final, I am getting one of these and I will have fun with it.

Thanks again.

P.S. SplitLip for President!

#8 Kid Flash

Kid Flash

• Members
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 04:55 PM

Now buy 8 more chains... 200 shots...

#9 serpent sniper

serpent sniper

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 04:56 PM

Does the 50 round chain fit into the ammo box?
Animus GmbH My Custom Nerf Props and Paintjobs

#10 CrazyIvan VI

CrazyIvan VI

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 04:58 PM

Wow, I'd like to say, DarkInfection, you don't need to be an ass if you don't know what you're talking about.

:3

This gun is really amazing. It seals itself, it's not inverted plunger... it sounds absolutely amazing.
I get all giddy when I see VACC browsing a stupid topic. I just know someone is going to get banned.

#11 A side of nerf

A side of nerf

Georgia Nerf Lives

• Members
  • 755 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 04:59 PM

You say the chain has pegs but no air restrictors. G-Force says that when removed they add range so wouldn't they be considered air restrictors? Good job on the clip combination though!

-peeing my pants

Edited by A side of nerf, 24 July 2008 - 05:00 PM.

Southeast Nerf Contingent

#12 Kid Flash

Kid Flash

• Members
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 05:01 PM

Wow, I'd like to say, DarkInfection, you don't need to be an ass if you don't know what you're talking about.

:3

This gun is really amazing. It seals itself, it's not inverted plunger... it sounds absolutely amazing.

But he never posted in this thread... Now I'm confused...

#13 angelof DEATH182

angelof DEATH182

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 05:04 PM

Wow!
50 rounds at a rate of around 2 a second, with 50 foot ranges!
And that's just with the pegs in the chains removed!
Someone send one to Forsaken.
Like, now.

#14 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 05:05 PM

I wouldn't cpvc the chains. I'm thinking petg is the best choice here. the screws in the chain are half inch long at most. The rest vary from an eight of an inch to about and inch. Very fine thread, as usual.

Other questions I've gotten asked already:

With all of the attachments, no batteries, it weighs about the same as a 2 clip, loaded longshot. Nuff Said.

The ammo box and tripod not only are detachable, but come detached in the box.

You can shoot it just like a Longshot. Cock it with the cocking handle (it's identical to that of the longshot), and squeeze the trigger.

The orange thing above the trigger is a little hatch that when opened, reveals the on/off switch for the motor.

Spring looks very close to that of a Longshot.

Yes, you can stop bowing now. :) (thanks Nate 2)

Thanks everyone, and thanks Ivan. I wanted to rub it in his face, but not to directly. :lol:

50 round chain won't fit in the ammo box. 25 round chain just closes in it.

Edit: Send one to Fa? I'd rather have a crack at it first. :) Then I'll let him own me. I want to see what DT can do with this. Or OS1!

Edited by Splitlip, 24 July 2008 - 05:06 PM.

Teehee.

#15 Salmon

Salmon

• Members
  • 447 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 05:12 PM

Would it be possible to cut off everything but the part that activates the switch on the ammo box, and just hand feed it? That would be great.
Welcome to I-dont-care-isburg, population: me.
We're located in I-Don't-Give-a-Damn County, in scenic Shut-the-Hell-Up-achussets.
Maybe you're familiar with our annual charity drive where we ask for shit, and no one gives any.

#16 Herpestidae

Herpestidae

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 05:19 PM

Attaching the belts together is going to change the face of Humans vs. Zombies forever.

That being said it looks awesome Splitlip and thank you for your hard work taking it apart! I know everyone thanks you.
Grimlock no bozo! Grimlock king!

#17 TED

TED

In Brightest Prawn, in Darkest Shrimp...

• Administrators
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 05:22 PM

Cool rings... not!
Star Wars can go fuck itself.

#18 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 05:28 PM

The beast: No front, no battery cage/holder, no chain hatch, no on off switch hatch, no bottom handle, no ammo box, no tripod. The basic minimization.
Posted Image

A decent internals pic
Posted Image

Pull off the top bracket directly over the cog turning drum and the plunger (about 8 screws). Unscrew the ornage thing too, and pull the plunger tube out. Keep all of these parts.
Posted Image

Two screws open up the top of the plunger tube, and the (two prong!) AR falls right out. Pull out the spring too.
Posted Image

Dremel out the white piece that holds the restrictor, screw back in and you have this:
Posted Image

The plunger tube in comparison to that of the Longshot: A bbb spring is also in the picture. The LS Spring or BBB spring will not fit, and there is no room for a plunger replacement here. I mean, not only is it a tight fit, but it's a 2 part tube, and a really long plunger piece with gear teeth and firing mechanism catches.Posted Image

And closed up, with no Ar:
Posted Image

Edited by Splitlip, 24 July 2008 - 05:42 PM.

Teehee.

#19 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 05:32 PM

Seventh: Close it up, and PWN with a 50 round chain!
Posted Image

The two chains look like they're facing different directions... Am I missing something?

Probably dead by now, or something.

#20 Lion

Lion

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 05:34 PM

I think you're right.

#21 Nate2

Nate2

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 05:35 PM

Yeah, I see it too.

Come on, Splitlip, explain what happened. Is there something we don't know about?
"How long is it supposed to be?"

You got a problem with me? You take it up with me directly.

#22 tatertotguy

tatertotguy

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 05:40 PM

The chain is half backwards and because of this I doubt it would "PWN"...
"So thats when she says, 'No that's my belly button'."

#23 angelof DEATH182

angelof DEATH182

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 05:42 PM

Probably just a slip of the hand.
Man.
It might get into the 70's with luck and an AR removal!

#24 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 05:43 PM

Damn, you caught me. Lol. Yeah, I had it right, but the piece of cloth wasn't working with me. It's a two second fix. I'm gonna swap out the pictures though.

Edit: Done. :lol:

Edited by Splitlip, 24 July 2008 - 05:48 PM.

Teehee.

#25 Bomberman

Bomberman

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 05:52 PM

This made my day. This gun is amazing! I can't believe it has a good plunger system! Hasbro has finally recognized the modders, and how much time they put into modding their guns, and hasbro is finally cutting us a break! This is my favorite gun of all time, now. A modding nightmare, but well worth it. I mean, that kind of ROF, and like, 35 feet out of the box, that's awesome!
QUOTE(silentsnipe) View Post

It's not like that. I put lube on it and its the same. Its just stuck. And when I cock it back it goes farther back then usual. Also I push as hard as I can and it wont go back in. I've tried the methods and they wont work. Also pics are up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users