Anyway, it's been a while since I've made a "novelty" SNAP, and Bag's recent creation spurred me into action. I've been thinking abut a gun with multiple plungers for quite some time, but mostly with the plungers feeding one barrel in an attempt to get more range. Thinking abut the Manta made me realize that it'd be much better to have multiple shots ready to go. After all, I already get around 90 feet with the basic plunger design...why do I need more?
So, here's the basic idea of a homemade Manta...the SNAP-DUO.
I'm using compact plunger heads to keep the length down, and Dogbone barrels for quick reloading.
As you can see, it's pretty much two SNAPs side-by-side. The main thing of note in construction is the bracket I'm using to held the two together. It's using the same system as I used to attach the handle in the SNAP-5, a 1/2" CPVC endcap jammed into 3/4" PVC, and then screwed in from the inside of the couplers and endcaps. (As a note of how not to do this, I had initially placed the front bracket in the middle of the front coupler, reasoning that there was the most plastic thickness there for drilling a countersunk hole. Well, it's also the spot where neither the PC nor the reducing bushing will cover, so you're left with two gaping holes. I could have sealed them somehow, but I thought the best option was to not have the problem in he first place.) Unfortunately, the CPVC endcaps I bought last night were a bit bigger then my other ones, so I I had to do a bit of sanding to get them to fit.
Another thing to consider when using screws inside the coupler: the hole needs to be countersunk so the head doesn't obstruct the tube. It's possible to do this with a regular drill and a larger bit, but use slower speeds and low pressure. The bit can suddenly bite in and you can be completely drilled through before you realize it.
I'm using a linked system of clothespins for firing.
This way, I can have the triggers in the middle of the front handle, and give my pushrods a direct line to the rear firing pin. And since the project was largely inspired by Bags, I decided to use all fluorescent pink clothespins in his honor.
I still have to work out all the bugs as far as comfort and trigger placement (it still feels a little odd, and I'd like it more if I could somehow figure out how to make it truly ambidextrous...feels better in my left than my right), but overall it feels very nice right now.
The chargerods aren't obnoxiously long.
The triggers from the front:
There's no way a plastic clothespin would be able to survive the stress I'm putting on it by itself, so I'm using mending plates as the trigger. They're essentially pivoting on the spring, so there's a lot less stress on the plastic itself.
A closeup of one linkage:
There's a lot to do as far at making this truly usable. The arm bracket may need to be shifted a bit, triggers correctly placed, front bushings screwed in. And if I have intentions of turning this into a true homemade Manta, I'll need new springs...at the moment, this thing is ridiculously powerful, too much so for a Manta with a shield.
Edited by Carbon, 10 August 2010 - 07:30 PM.