You do it

354 replies to this topic

#301 Sqeaver

Sqeaver

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 03:25 AM

Quick question

Could the +bow possibly be made out of metal?

I'm going to be in a very nice shop with possibly some free metal to work with

Good idea or no?
no fancy signature here

EXCEPT THIS!!!1
Join the Revolution!

#302 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 06:23 AM

Could the +bow possibly be made out of metal?

http://nerfhaven.com...ndpost&p=154444

You'll need a tapping bit rated for harder materials.
The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#303 Sqeaver

Sqeaver

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 08:59 AM

Thanks Cap Slug

I will have all the tools at my disposal, so hopefully I get a crack at this
no fancy signature here

EXCEPT THIS!!!1
Join the Revolution!

#304 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 01:09 PM

I have also made some pieces for both LpLs and +Bows out of aluminum. Works nicely, but cut and tap slowly.
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#305 Ryan201821

Ryan201821

Prince Edward

• Contributors
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 02:12 AM

Posted Image

#306 cheesypiza001

cheesypiza001

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 10:35 AM

Posted Image

This is my +bow with it's new foregrip.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I cut out and sanded down a piece of 3/8" Polycarbonate then epoxied it onto the bottom front of the plusbow. I then epoxied on an airsoft rail so that I could attach a foregrip. Not only does this serve as a comfort +, but it also helps to reinforce the front bolt that seems to break on many peoples +Bows.

I also added some grip tape followed by E-tape.

Posted Image

Other +Bow Improvements

- Plunger head cushioning
- Gooped brushing
- Epoxied spring rest

1. Plunger Head Cushioning

Everyone knows that +Bows are somewhat loud. I decided to cut off part of a red BBB rocket, burn a hole through he center with my hot glue gun (for the screw), and Goop it onto the plunger head.

Posted Image

2. Gooped Brushing

Upon recieving my +Bow, I realized that a large amount of air was lost due to the lack of an airtight adhesive/sealant (only e-tape was used). I decided to apply Goop over the E-tape and then shove the brushing back in. As mentioned before, this also serves as a reinforcement for the bolt that sometimes breaks.

Posted Image

2. Epoxied Spring Rest

Upon receiving my +Bow, I realized that the catch mechanism was occasionally faulty due to the springs tendency to get stuck in the spring rest and then get sucked into the catch (I have pics if requested). I decided to epoxy the spring rest in place.

Posted Image

If you have any questions, feel free to post or PM me.

#307 cheesypiza001

cheesypiza001

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 08:37 PM

Another +Bow Improvement: Sling clips

After seeing someone do this to a BBB, I decided to do it to a +Bow. Buy 2 "D Ring Hangers" and unscrew the following screws on your +Bow. Screw #1 = top back of stock plate, screw #2 = right in front of the "iron sight." Then, simply put the screw through the top hole in the ring hanger and screw it back in, while making sure the hanger stays straight. This takes about 30 seconds and makes an easy way to clip on a sling/strap.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Feel free to PM me or post here with any questions.

#308 KonkeyKong

KonkeyKong

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 10:13 PM

I'm having trouble lubin' my tube. Yup yup. I'm using liquid wrench silicon spray and it's good for about 8 firings. After that the plunger starts slowing to the point where it won't travel the full length of the plunger tube. Could a different brand of silicon make that big of difference? Any insights?

#309 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 10:26 PM

I'm having trouble lubin' my tube. Yup yup. I'm using liquid wrench silicon spray and it's good for about 8 firings. After that the plunger starts slowing to the point where it won't travel the full length of the plunger tube. Could a different brand of silicon make that big of difference? Any insights?

Ace brand Silicon Grease.

It comes in a little white tub, and has the consistency of man sauce, but its good for a war. In theory you should be cleaning, and re-fitting your +bow about every to every other war.
Me: Yeah. he beat a hooker
Venom: Haven't we all?

#310 cheesypiza001

cheesypiza001

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 10:29 PM

Silicon lube has been known to do that. As for an alternative, I have heard that lithium grease works well for +Bows.

EDIT: Busta beat me to it.

Edited by cheesypiza001, 08 November 2009 - 10:29 PM.

#311 nate the great

nate the great

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 07:19 PM

Ok, I know this is a necro and I am sorry but this is a stickied topic. I just finished my first plus bow! I was getting around 150 feet. The next day i shoot it and it goes 60-80 feet. :) Does anyone know what is wrong with it? Here is a video The camera cut off but I measured around 80 feet. Please help!
PRI you are a fucking idiot.

2 slingshot weights is basically a steel bullet with a foam sabot
-Mr BadWrench

You have a tampon on your gun. There's your problem.
-Hi Yah!

Join the Revolution!

#312 Magic

Magic

Formerly NerfOnFier

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 540 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 10:42 PM

Ok, I know this is a necro and I am sorry but this is a stickied topic. I just finished my first plus bow! I was getting around 150 feet. The next day i shoot it and it goes 60-80 feet. :( Does anyone know what is wrong with it? Here is a video The camera cut off but I measured around 80 feet. Please help!

You may have tightened the front too much. That happened to the +bow i had originally bought. Try loosening it up, and if the plunger tube is permanently molded, you may have to cut a new one. Hope this was of assistance. :)

#313 Hipponater

Hipponater

• Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 10:56 PM

Ok, I know this is a necro and I am sorry but this is a stickied topic. I just finished my first plus bow! I was getting around 150 feet. The next day i shoot it and it goes 60-80 feet. :( Does anyone know what is wrong with it? Here is a video The camera cut off but I measured around 80 feet. Please help!

Your plunger head doesn't move all the way to the end of the plunger tube in the video. That's the problem.

It's happened to me on a few of my +bows, you put too much lubricant in the plunger tube (which is pretty easy to do), and the reinforced washer soaked it up and expanded. Whether it's the exposed fibers on the edges that draw the lubricant in, or whether the washer material itself, I'm not sure. Anyway, just replace it with a different washer if you have one (you said you just finished it, indicating you'll have 9 spares if you bought them from McMaster), and use less lube. If you let the current one set out, I think it will shrink down to size.

#314 nate the great

nate the great

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 08:04 PM

Just finished my plus bow. Thanks you Hipponater and Magic for the help! I did some extra thigs to it each are: double trigger plate springs, fullly compressed main spring, cheek rest, padded plunger head, and soon to come interrated CS lock n load! Here is a link to my flickr with all the pics. I would post them but it is not working
PRI you are a fucking idiot.

2 slingshot weights is basically a steel bullet with a foam sabot
-Mr BadWrench

You have a tampon on your gun. There's your problem.
-Hi Yah!

Join the Revolution!

#315 cheesypiza001

cheesypiza001

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 11:44 AM

I thought I would share a pretty cool discovery I made....

The plunger head from a Marshmallow Shooter...
Posted Image

fits perfectly in the plunger tube of both the +bow and the L+L.

I will soon be updating this with a picture and a followup on the improvement of the seal.

#316 utahnerf

utahnerf

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 01:57 PM

So, I've been meaning to make my own Plus Bow for a while now, but I don't have any of the needed saws. I was going to buy a band saw, but is a jigsaw needed? Can I just use a band saw? If not, what is a good scroll saw?

#317 Lt Stefan

Lt Stefan

• Members
  • 892 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 02:05 PM

You can't make all the cuts with just a band saw, as some cuts are completely inside a piece of plastic. You would use a scroll saw/jigsaw for those because you can't feed a band saw blade through a hole.

#318 utahnerf

utahnerf

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 02:34 PM

Ok, thanks for the info Lt. Stefan. I have pretty much decided on getting an 18" Craftsman scroll saw on craigslist, NIB.

Edit: I got a fuckin' DeWalt.

Edited by utahnerf, 29 September 2010 - 11:17 AM.

#319 Lt Stefan

Lt Stefan

• Members
  • 892 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 01:59 PM

Built a +bow.

Posted Image

Thanks Slug.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 25 May 2010 - 12:04 PM.

#320 Lt Stefan

Lt Stefan

• Members
  • 892 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 02:14 PM

Thanks Bob. It kind of took me a while too because I took my time to get the straightest cuts. As of right now I'm not sure if I'm such a big fan of using one either; I don't like the priming method 100% and it's just too powerful for me. However that might change when I use mine at a war and can compare it with other guns.

Homemades are awesome, but there's nothing like the feel of a good modified blaster in your hands.

#321 utahnerf

utahnerf

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 03:17 PM

Ok, I have a question that some more experienced members could answer:
Is it hard to get close to perfect cuts with a scroll saw? Or would it be better to buy both a band saw and a jig saw? Lastly, what is better for internal cuts, Jig or Scroll? Thanks in advance!

#322 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 03:23 PM

1. Is it hard to get close to perfect cuts with a scroll saw?
2. Or would it be better to buy both a band saw and a jig saw?
3. Lastly, what is better for internal cuts, Jig or Scroll? Thanks in advance!

1. No, you just have to take your time.
2. A Jig saw is not going to be very useful for cutting small parts. They're intended for cutting holes out of large sheets that won't fit in a scroll saw.
3. Scroll Saw.

A Scroll saw alone will be more useful in this instance.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 11 May 2010 - 03:23 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#323 utahnerf

utahnerf

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 04:04 PM

Ok, thanks CS.

#324 melbourneSTORM4eva

melbourneSTORM4eva

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 01:33 AM

I feel very dumb right now, but in Australia I have never heard of a scroll saw, Is it a machine that im just unfamiliar of? Or is it a Hacksaw?

Cheers!

-MS4E
Looking for a 2k tank & pump, to ship to Australia please.

Youtube

#325 polycarb

polycarb

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 05:35 AM

I feel very dumb right now, but in Australia I have never heard of a scroll saw, Is it a machine that im just unfamiliar of? Or is it a Hacksaw?

Cheers!

-MS4E

Hate to be a dick, but you should really search google/bing/other search engine before you ask.The magic of google.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 25 May 2010 - 12:04 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users