What kind do you listen to?

154 replies to this topic

#76 Rambo

Rambo

Fear the Robble...

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 10:53 AM

Listen, it's a simple fact of life that some people are musically talented, and others are not. That happens to be the opinion I perscribe to, but it's also a fact, down and dirty. All I've said is that Disturbed's members are those who are not musically talented. If they put on a good show, fine, but they are not musically talented.

PS. The proper verb form to use with a band is the third singular (ie. is, was, etc) not the third plural, as the band's name is a collective noun. Not attacking, just pointing it out.

#77 Kenpachi Taicho

Kenpachi Taicho

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 11:17 AM

Listen, it's a simple fact of life that some people are musically talented, and others are not. That happens to be the opinion I perscribe to, but it's also a fact, down and dirty. All I've said is that Disturbed's members are those who are not musically talented. If they put on a good show, fine, but they are not musically talented.

PS. The proper verb form to use with a band is the third singular (ie. is, was, etc) not the third plural, as the band's name is a collective noun. Not attacking, just pointing it out.

*SIGH*

Considering the fact that the show they put on was a concert, which in my opinion it was awesome (giving a reference to what my opinion of a good concert was), I believe that they are talented, yes that is my opinion not a fact. You're placing too much factual (if that's a word) relevance to the word "talented", which by definition is almost purely opinionative. You're opinion is that Disturbed are talent less (did I conjugate correctly this time?), I respect it and you're completely entitled to it. However it is not a fact, so please quit being so narcissistic by claiming your opinion is a fact.

If you wish to compare Disturbed to other mallcore bands in musical areas by all means go ahead, but even then it is still only a relatively based opinion.

#78 Rambo

Rambo

Fear the Robble...

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 11:29 AM

Initially, you didn't say shit about a concert, only that Disturbed was good. Certain people are musically talented (See: Bach, Steve Vai, Michael Angelo Batio) some are not (See: Fred Durst, Dave Drainman, etc.) that is a fact, stop arguing that it's an opinion. Again, if you like them, fine, don't make false claims though.

And no, you did not conjugate correctly. Disturbed is a unit, therefore it takes the pronoun "it" and it should take all verbs that "it" takes.

#79 Kenpachi Taicho

Kenpachi Taicho

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 11:43 AM

Initially, you didn't say shit about a concert, only that Disturbed was good. Certain people are musically talented (See: Bach, Steve Vai, Michael Angelo Batio) some are not (See: Fred Durst, Dave Drainman, etc.) that is a fact, stop arguing that it's an opinion. Again, if you like them, fine, don't make false claims though.

And no, you did not conjugate correctly. Disturbed is a unit, therefore it takes the pronoun "it" and it should take all verbs that "it" takes.

I've seen these guys in concert, and so far (in my opinion) it was the best concert I've ever been to. Just to give reference to some of the other bands I've seen live; Metallica, Greenday, Three days grace, korn, etc.

Initially I did say something about a concert. I'm not arguieng who is and who isn't musically talented, because that's pointless. The reason that's pointless is the FACT that the term "talent" and who it applies to is based on OPINION.

The fact is that talent is purely based on opinion, and comparing talents will only change your OPINION to an OPINION based on a term of relativity, still not a FACT. I only ask the you bring yourself down from the heavens to live with the rest of us who acknowledge the FACT that our OPINIONS aren't FACTS.

#80 Rambo

Rambo

Fear the Robble...

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 12:06 PM

And Disturbed, I can't believe that no one has mentioned disturbed yet.

That was your original claim. I see nothing about a concert. I'm not going to continue to argue, but the fact remains:
If you like a band, that's an opinion
A band's talent is a fact.

#81 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 12:52 PM

What usually turns me off of rap is the lyrics. True, rock lyrics can be equally mysogynistic and violent, but rap instrumentation tends to be a lot more sparse, bringing the lyrics to the forefront. I've found that I usually concentrate on the music in any given song and ignore the actual words, but that's harder to do with rap. I've stumbled across a few rap albums where the lyrics are different from the norm, and I tend to like them more. (like one of my favorites of any genre, Deltron 3030, which is a sci-fi rap Effeminate. That, and Dan the Automator is a great DJ. His presence was missed from later Gorillaz albums.)

Carbon, I enjoy rap/hip-hop purely because of the lyrics. Certain artists like Kanye West, Heiruspecs( know someone else mentioned this group ) are very crafty in their lyrics, and as such, it is fun to listen to them. I appreciate great composition of metal second-to-none, but hip-hop lyrics are the only attraction to the genre for me...

Exactly. I didn't mean that no rap/hip-hop has good lyrics, but it's what turns me off of the mainstream stuff I've heard. It's what draws me in to the albums I've really liked (and I do own a few rap/hip-hop albums).
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#82 l337n3rf3r

l337n3rf3r

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 01:28 PM

I listen to most everything. Excluding country music. I don't understand why most of you detest rap. It is good if you can find GOOD rap. Most rappers they play on mtv suck. Anyways some bands I listen to:

Rage Against the Machine
The Aquabats
Reel Big Fish
Less than Jake
(any ska band ever)
Atreyu
Pantera
The Beatles
That Handsome Devil

Rappers:
Immortal Technique
Pharoahe Monch
MF Doom
Talib Kweli
Mos Def
Supernatural
Rahzel
Cypress Hill

It depends on what I'm in the mood for.

~l337
Wii would like to play with you.

#83 shadowkid33

shadowkid33

• Members
  • 633 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 01:43 PM

I'm going to agree with RAMBO on this.

It is a fact, not an opinion that you can be musically talented. If you are musically talented, you are a musical learner, if you are a musical learner, you are musically smart.

There are 7 ways people are smart. They are called the 7 types of smart, or multiple intelligences. Here they are:

Kinaesthetic - Body Smart
Linguistic - Word Smart
Logical - Number Smart
Interpersonal - People Smart
Intrapersonal - Myself Smart
Musical - Music Smart
Visual/Spatial - Picture Smart
Naturalistic - Nature Smart

Everybody is a certain type. People who are musically talented are musically smart. It's a fact.

Now somebody can perform good music, but not be musically smart (musically talented). Talented just would be the wrong choice of word to describe a band, because this is the real definition of musically talented.
You may be music smart. You will enjoy music and can recognise sounds, and timbre, or the quality of a tone. This is sometimes called being Musical smart.

I hope that made sense. Here's a link to a site about multiple intelligences, if you are interested.

Click Here

And here is an exceptional Wikipedia article.

Click Here

Edited by shadowkid33, 08 November 2007 - 01:46 PM.

how the heck do you make a double clip?

Here are the steps.
1. Go to the search button in the right corner of the screen
2. Click
3. Search double longshot clip.

i dont have time, jeez, im new here!

#84 CAPS

CAPS

• Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 03:40 PM

Can someone tell me why Im the only sucker who like/mentioned Kamelot?
It's a link to google......you idiots are worse than the spammers.
-Vacc

#85 aguineapig

aguineapig

• Banned
  • 84 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 04:13 PM

Why does everyone hate rap? I'm not trying to change your opinions, listen to what you want, but there must be some reason why 90% of you hate it.

WARNING!

Some or all of the following statements may offend some people. Please try to maintain an open state of mind, and keep this as a reasonable discussion rather than a flaming inferno.

In my mind, rap isn't really music. Now, don't get me wrong: it can definitely be a way to express one's feelings in much the same way that music does. But, I don't know...it's just not the same.

For one thing, there is rapping and then there is singing. Now, some rap "songs" do contain something very close to actual singing (I can't think of any examples...and, heck, maybe they weren't even rap) and I can actually stand to listen to those. The same is true for the "music" component of a rap "song." It isn't really music, just a very repetitive beat. Some rap has something more complex than just a straightforward beat, and, again, I can almost stand those rap "songs."

If anything, I would call rap a kind of poetry (which I'm not a big fan of, either), while other genres of music (all the rocks, country, jazz, swing, techno, etc.) are, well..."music." And I do like at least a few songs from each of those genres.

Similar to Carbon, I really don't listen to the words of a song...in fact, I can't understand a lot of them even if I try, anyway. Instead, I just sort of sit back, relax, and enjoy the experience of the music as I allow myself to zone out (particularly easy to do if it's late and I'm laying in bed waiting to fall asleep). So, rap generally doesn't have what I want in a song.

And, last but not least, is the effect that rap seems to have on me whether I want it to or not. I really did get rather depressed after listening to that joke-y rap song by Flight of the Conchords yesterday, even though I tried to like it...I even watched three different Youtube videos of it! A weird reaction, I know, but I really did feel horrible after that third time. *shrugs*

So, there you go, SHA. At least writing this took up a large chunk of "boring time" aka working in the mailroom.

YAY, I hate rap, you got the right idea there.
fun-petitive!

Her brother literally almost pissed herself.

DO NOT CLICK!!

#86 All Star

All Star

• Members
  • 283 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 04:38 PM

I like latin jazz. Sometimes rock.
"One fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish"

- DR. SEUSS

" Would you eat them on a train, would you eat them on a plane?"

- SAM I AM

#87 Richomundo

Richomundo

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 05:15 PM

Flaming eachother about music is like arguing about religion or politics, or, an even better analogy would be sushi.

Music is ART. Art is an expression. Flaming someone and arguing about whether an ARTIST is talented or not is just about as ignorant and illogical as arguing with a firefly. It's just not going to go well for either person in the end they'll both walk away butt hurt.

Within the category of ART there is MUSIC. Music is defined as : an art of sound in time that expresses ideas and emotions in significant forms through the elements of rhythm, melody, harmony, and color.

Within music there are GENRES. No matter what genre, all music follows the same protocol of simply arranging sounds. If music is the art of arranging sound, who can say what is talent and what is not.

Nobody has the same tastebuds, or the same rods and cones in their eyes, so why would you guys argue over music. Being able to appreciate all forms of music is the best thing to do and recognize the aspects that you like. Just as looking at a painting and understanding the form and time that went into creation, whether the painting is a Gaugan or picasso piece, or a venice beach artist is irrelevant. Talent has no bearing on enjoyment.

Stop arguing about music and start listening to it. Start making it. Just because I don't like linkin park or britney spears doesn't mean that they can't produce music that is enjoyable by someone.

#88 Rambo

Rambo

Fear the Robble...

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 07:05 PM

I never said a goddamn thing about a band having to be talented to be able to enjoy them. If I did, please show me where. I can appreciate all forms of music, so long as the artist of that form has talent. I might not enjoy it, but I can appreciate it.

#89 CAPS

CAPS

• Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 09:30 PM

I think listening to Go-Go is really fun for me since my school is majority black. I want ya'll to search some type of Go-Go particuarly ABM- Blow your day

Its stupid but the beat is fun...well for me. Google it or limewire search it and tell me what ya'll think.
It's a link to google......you idiots are worse than the spammers.
-Vacc

#90 joeyaglr444

joeyaglr444

• Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 09:54 PM

I listen to who ever the Hell sounds good to me. I refuse to judge people by the music they listen too. However I do believe in one thing...MCR sucks live.
Boys Become Men....Men Become Wolves

Blaffair to Rememblack.

#91 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 12:34 PM

Genres are approximate. Your milage may vary.

Industrial (Skinny Puppy, NIN, Throbbing Gristle)
Prog Rock (Yes, Queen, Styx, Jethro Tull, Chicago)
Big Band (Glenn Miller)
Showtunes (Chess, Avenue Q)
Eighties Pop (The Cars, Mr. Mister)
Modern Rock (Matthew Sweet, Foo Fighters...I'll put the Velvet Underground here, although they were 30 years too early)
Adult Contemporary (3rd Matinee, Sting)
Metal (Judas Priest, Megadeth, Within Temptation, Nightwish)
Hip-Hop/rap..sort of (Del tha Funkee Homosapien, G Love and Special Sauce)

I just downloaded Saul William's latest album (The Inevitable Rise and Liberation of NiggyTardust!), which was produced by Trent Reznor. Wow. Calling it Rap or Hip-Hop doesn't really seem to fully apply, although it definitely has rap...feels like a NIN rap album at times. Musically involving, lyrically deep, with an overall theme...and a pretty cool cover of Sunday, Bloody Sunday. Free download, or donate $5 to the artist.

Edited by Carbon, 09 November 2007 - 12:36 PM.

Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#92 sam

sam

• Members
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 12:58 AM

Oh nice, Saul Williams is the Shizzle. I wish I had more of him.

#93 gunpowder jones

gunpowder jones

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 06:37 PM

In a purely pre-nerfing context, anything from the Mortal Kombat video game soundtrack definitely springs to mind.
nerf...my anti drug

#94 SirTofu

SirTofu

• Members
  • 424 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 12:20 AM

Indie Rock (mainly west coast scene, like kill rockstars and 5rc)
Math Rock
Shoegazing
Noise Rock
Post Punk
Hip Hop (Alternative, early east coast stuff, underground stuff, some west coast)
To say stuff on the rap note. I prefer old school east coast hip hop (public enemy, Boogie Down Productions) and underground stuff (Dr. Octagon, Heiroglyphics, Del, etc.). However, a lot of rap that is violent annoys me. However with groups such as NWA they are painting a picture of streetlife and straight outta compton is a great album that pioneered gangster rap. But the more political and socially conscious it is, the more I enjoy it. However, there is plenty of pleasure one can get from stuff that isn't.

And a lot of other stuff. But that's what I listen to a lot right now.

Edited by SirTofu, 15 November 2007 - 12:27 AM.

Nobody online Nerfs in the SE :(

#95 Spectre666

Spectre666

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 08:07 PM

My music selection is kinda wierd. On my playlist, I have:

La Donna E'Mobile
Hello Zepp and other Charlie Clouser
Home and other 3 Days Grace Songs
Wierd Al
Mozart
Some Linkin Park
Save Me
Queen
A little Lemon Demon
Snow
Gorillaz
The Resident Evil Theme
Mad World
Beethoven
Leave no Man Behind (Black Hawk Down Theme)
Extreme Ways
Getting Away With Murder
Jesus Walks
Goldfinger
Led Zepplin
One
Move Along
and Carry on Wayward Son.

Just to name a few.

Just because you can't see me doesn't mean I'm not there.

"Quoth the Raven,'Nevermore.'" - Edgar Allan Poe

#96 Wisey

Wisey

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 08:46 PM

YAY, I hate rap, you got the right idea there.

Dude, you hate everything.

I do believe in one thing...MCR sucks live.

They do. Although there very first album is pretty damn good. Ironicly there support (when I saw them) was better. But of course, it was Thursday. =D

I'm not liking the the whole genre focused thing here.

Anyone got a Last.fm account?

http://www.last.fm/user/yz_rules/

I scrobble mainly what I listen to on my iPod but I havn't recently because my laptop is dead.

#97 Scotch

Scotch

• Members
  • 179 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 10:28 PM

I like Classic rock and Hard rock. Rap is ok but it really depends on the artist, like the Sugar Hill Gang, not 50 cent. Any bands or singers after 2003 suck. Oh, and Nikelback, yeah he sucks too.

More specifically

Guns N Roses
KoRn
Pink Floyd
Nirvana
The Beatles
The Rolling Stones
Led Zeppelin
Motley Crue (listening to Dr.Feelgood right now)
Sugar Hill Gang
Aerosmith
Kiss
Black Sabbath
The Red Hot Chili Peppers

Oh yeah and the Ass Ponys, they're kick ass too.

Edited by Scotch, 04 March 2008 - 07:37 PM.

QUOTE(VACC @ Jan 24 2008, 10:21 AM) View Post
Woah, woah, slow down there buddy. If you put it ALL in your mouth at once you're just gonna gag and get it all over the carpet.

#98 Thom

Thom

• Members
  • 759 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 07:28 PM

Romantic and Impressionist. Stravinsky is God, BTW.

#99 BoxProper

BoxProper

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 08:43 PM

classic rock
southern rock
blues
bluegrass
old country
metal
alternative (not so much)
rockabilly/psychobilly

#100 shadowkid33

shadowkid33

• Members
  • 633 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 06:50 PM

I just realized, I haven't given my list yet.

Here they are, in no particular order.

-Linkin Park, mostly Meteora and Hybrid Therory. I only like 'Given Up' and 'Bleed it Out' on Minutes to Midnight.

-Hoobastank, that's right, the band that sang 'The Reason' which was popular about 5 years ago. They're pretty good. Amazing.

-Billy Joel, I defy anybody to say he isn't amazing.

-Atomship, $5 you've never heard of 'em. Look them up if you haven't, they're a great rock band.

-Foo Fighters, Echoes, Silence, Patience, and Grace is one of the most well done CDs I've ever heard. The ability of the entire band to one minute play a hard rock song (The Pretender), and the next a guitar ballad (Ballad of the Beaconsfield Miners), and the next a slow song (Home) is just amazing.

-Chromium_[ZA], an amazing, almost undiscovered metal band.

-Seven Wiser, another undiscovered talent.

-A few DAUGHTRY songs, that's right. American Idol foolz. I actually hate that show, but he isn't bad. I just have to be in the mood to listen to him.

Edited by shadowkid33, 04 March 2008 - 06:35 AM.

how the heck do you make a double clip?

Here are the steps.
1. Go to the search button in the right corner of the screen
2. Click
3. Search double longshot clip.

i dont have time, jeez, im new here!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users