Music

What kind do you listen to?

154 replies to this topic

#126 sam

sam

• Members
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 07:42 PM

I'm trying so hard not to make fun of everyone who recently posted.

#127 Thomas

Thomas

• Members
  • 448 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 08:10 PM

If we got a sticky out of this, it would be really dumb.
Really dumb.

Wisey!, good on you, Thursday's a great band. Not a big fan of their new stuff, it's not really what I'd expect from Thursday. I can't stop listening to Ian Curtis and Autobiography of a Nation, two of my favorite songs.

Linkin Park's only good music was some off Meteora(?) and everything before that. Collision Course sent them downhill.

#128 nerfturtle

nerfturtle

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 08:27 PM

I think I already posted in this topic, but whatever, I have something significant tio add.

Here are some of the many, many, many songs I like, mostly alternative, rock, or synth rooted music.
Take a listen anyways.

You Know You're Right - Nirvana

The Terminal - Pendulum
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-M1EkXo5_c

Broken Sunday - Saliva
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pElbsBYlIHI

You are the One - Shiny Toy Guns
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxbWaMzsnJo

Girl and the Sea - The Presets
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuvXn0IXtkg <------ Amazing video!

Bouncing of Clouds - Tori Amos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSGMjB3HbGM

Baptize Me - The Exies
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FXjHE7xpN8

Discotech - Young Love
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2eZ5WOOthM

Lift - Poets of the Fall
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YB1QkirsCpA

Rainy Monday - Shiny Toy Guns
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfZx4DB40JU

Man in the Moon - Fragma
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAowoNyH5Oo

Banquet - Bloc Party
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOeFiII9mSE <----- Best video of just band playing.

The 15th - Fischerspooner
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vT2CTGkJ4bk Takes a couple moments to start.

Destroy Everything You Touch - Ladytron
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtqGoHouoE0

Du U What U Du (Trentemoller Mix) - Yoshimoto
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBIRf-p03ic

My Everything - Goldfinger
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DKaZX5i2Rg

You Spin Me Round - Dead or Alive
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMwdAc1Dzfg

Hear me Out - Frou Frou
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qkeiREEh28

The Nobodies - Marilyn Manson
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SdQGYHOFu8

Enjoy!
The tough coughs as he ploughs the dough.
-Dr. Suess

#129 Peter

Peter

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 08:48 PM

The good music, none of this new-fangled excuse for it:

Led Zeppelin, Metallica, The Eagles, Beatles, ACDC, Stones, Floyd, etc...

Page = best guitarist of all tme.
igitur qui desiderat pacem praeparet bellum

#130 nerfturtle

nerfturtle

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 08:50 PM

I love watching people argue about music, they don't seem to think that it could be possibly in any way related to the taste of the listener.
The tough coughs as he ploughs the dough.
-Dr. Suess

#131 Green Riptide

Green Riptide

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 09:10 PM

I don't so much listen to genres of music as random people/bands.

I enjoy hardcore house/D&B and classical music, or better yet, both together.

I like Five Iron Frenzy and Roper, some Orange Range and Asian Kung-Fu Generation stuff, Johnny Richards and Stan Kenton, Squad Five-O, Mannheim Steamroller and Trans-Siberian Orchestra's instrumental stuff, some Yngwie malmsteen, the IUP marching band and Phantom Regiment. I also enjoy the more symphonic brass band stuff and more modern symphonic and band music.

#132 nerfboi

nerfboi

• Members
  • 858 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 02:19 AM

Shadowkid we have the same exact taste in music.

I could have given you some recomendations if my ipod didnt go through the wash.

Do you like POD? I'm not sure if you would or not. I personally like them. Try Boom, youth of the nation, alive.

I also like the song Shadow of the Day by Linkin Park, I'm not really sure why.

other god ones(I'm sure you have most of these)
-pretender-foo fighters
-everlong
-best of you

try the song "The Kill" I actually forget the name of the band, it has the word mars in it though.

Also does anyone like Rise Against? great band.

I like POD ther are great. I love those songs. But I'm not much of a rock person, more of the Hip Hop, Rap and/or R& B. Primarily C-waling music, good fast beat.
We Ride together, we die together, Bad boys for life.

#133 imaseoulman

imaseoulman

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 02:46 AM

Indie, Punk, Alterna-pop, Powerpop, electronica, Alt-rock, Rock, Classic rock, classical, experimental, techno, trance, reggae, and SKA!!!! can't forget the SKA!

Bags, you should check out "Love You Longtime." They used to go to my university, and while I wouldn't say they're good, most of their stuff doesn't make my eardrums want to bleed either. It's all very catchy (almost annoyingly so) and fits into half the categories you listed, though mainly Electronica and Powerpop.

Anyway, I thought I'd throw in my opinion on music...
First, I really enjoy classical (Chopin, Bach, Mozart, Rochmaninov, etc.) but that's for when I'm driving.
If I just want to listen to have a good time, here are my favorites:
Led Zeppelin - Best band of all time. Undebatable.
Pink Floyd - Right up there
Queen - Not many vocalists have been able to hold their own with Freddie Mercury

Now for our generation
WEEZER - I don't care what anybody thinks...The Blue Album is the best album of the 90's. Deal with it.
Beastie Boys - Sam, I know it's not real rap...it's debatabley not even music...but come on, what's more fun than the Beastie Boys?
Ben Folds Five I just dig the lyrics.

There are lots of others, but those are probably my favorites. As for rap/hip-hop I never listen to it on purpose, but from a dancing standpoint (I have a very strong background in dance - from clogging to ballroom and swing to hip-hop) it's a lot of fun. The beats are perfect for improvisational solos (dancing). And, hip-hop dance allows you to incorporate many other dance styles into it; like doing a quickstep (fancy ballroom stuff, usually done in gowns and tuxedos) basic to a fast hip-hop song and adding in lots of dips and spins...it never fails to get the ladies (and if you think that's cool, you should see my Michael Jackson "Smooth Criminal" clogging routine. The moonwalk was never so smooth as when I do it in my tap shoes). So while I don't necessarily like listening to it, it's great for dancing. Oh yeah, and WEEZER rules.

Edited by imaseoulman, 05 March 2008 - 02:52 AM.

#134 Rambo

Rambo

Fear the Robble...

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 01:54 PM

even "White and Nerdy", the anthem of most hardcore nerfers.

What the fuck? What basis do you have to make this claim? What "hardcore" Nerfers are you referring to, because I've met almost all of them ( certainly more than you ) and I don't think I've ever heard one mention that they consider anything Weird Al ever touched to be an anthem for our group...

I love watching people argue about music, they don't seem to think that it could be possibly in any way related to the taste of the listener.

That's true, but as I've said previously in this thread, certain bands have the ability to make good music and some simply don't. Whether you like it or not, yes, that is a taste, but there is merit in arguing that a band cannot make good music. I used to aruge a lot that certain bands weren't worth listening to, and now I realize that there is a distinct difference between the ability to produce and the worth of music - because, as you said, it is merely taste.

A Perfect Circle. Akercocke, The Ascent of Everest, Bush, Gojira, High on Fire, Isis, Kalmah, The Monolith Deathcult, The Project Hate MCMXCIX, Protest the Hero, and Winds of Plague have all been on my playlists lately, among other stuff.

#135 Wisey

Wisey

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 01:59 PM

Wisey!, good on you, Thursday's a great band. Not a big fan of their new stuff, it's not really what I'd expect from Thursday. I can't stop listening to Ian Curtis and Autobiography of a Nation, two of my favorite songs.

Linkin Park's only good music was some off Meteora(?) and everything before that. Collision Course sent them downhill.

Wahey! Yup. By their new stuff I'm guessing you mean A City by The Light Divided, in which case i'd have to agree with you, from what I've heard it's okay, but not to great. Autobiography of a Nation is pretty awesome, I love the simple punch bass line at the start. As for Ian Curtis, I didn't recognise the title so I looked to see if I have it on CD or on my iPod and after a quick look on wiki I don't have anything from Waiting. Just the EP's and full lengths after. I will have to d/l a few songs and get the album if I like 'em enough.
You seen them live? If you havn't, they're one of the best live bands I've ever seen. My vocabulary isn't good enough to discribe just how aweomse Jet Black New Year is live. I've seen them twice but have yet to see them headline... but I will, at some point...

As for Linkin Park, I'd have to agree with you aswell. Collision Course sucks..

#136 sam

sam

• Members
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 02:31 PM

Anyway, I thought I'd throw in my opinion on music...
First, I really enjoy classical (Chopin, Bach, Mozart, Rochmaninov, etc.) but that's for when I'm driving.
If I just want to listen to have a good time, here are my favorites:
Led Zeppelin - Best band of all time. Undebatable.
Pink Floyd - Right up there
Queen - Not many vocalists have been able to hold their own with Freddie Mercury

Now for our generation
WEEZER - I don't care what anybody thinks...The Blue Album is the best album of the 90's. Deal with it.
Beastie Boys - Sam, I know it's not real rap...it's debatabley not even music...but come on, what's more fun than the Beastie Boys?
Ben Folds Five I just dig the lyrics.

You've got a sweet list. Zeppelin and Floyd and simply amazing. I would put a few bands ahead of Queen, like The Who, but they are also pretty solid. You could pretty much make a musical out of all of the Queen songs.

Weezer's Blue Album is one of the best albums in the past 14 years. Pinkerton was also pretty good, but the rest of their albums drop off a bit.

Beastie Boys aren't rap, but they are definitely hip-hop. I'd categorize rap as stuff like Snoop, Dre, N.W.A., and most shitty modern stuff like lil jon and the ying yang twins. Hip-Hop is more listen-able and generally better. It relies more on a good beat.

Ben Folds also excellent.

As for my own input,
Listen to the Bad Plus, they are a bitchin' Jazz group with amazing talent. Even if you don't like Jazz, I'm almost positive you would like these guys. The reason I say almost is because someone of you guys like stuff Nickleback, Linkin Park, POD, Tori Amos, and Hoobastank, and The Bad Plus in no way resemble bad music.
The Bad Plus- Physical Cities

Also, P.O.S.
For all you rap/hip-hop haters, listen to this young man. He borrows heavily from punk and alternative stuff on his beats, and his rhymes and flow are outstanding.
P.O.S.- Half Cocked Concepts

Also feel free to PM me if you'd like more of this stuff. I can hook you up.

Edited by sam, 05 March 2008 - 02:32 PM.

#137 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 02:35 PM

You could pretty much make a musical out of all of the Queen songs.

Funny you should say that...
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#138 Eboreg

Eboreg

• Banned
  • 220 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 02:56 PM

even "White and Nerdy", the anthem of most hardcore nerfers.

What the fuck? What basis do you have to make this claim? What "hardcore" Nerfers are you referring to, because I've met almost all of them ( certainly more than you ) and I don't think I've ever heard one mention that they consider anything Weird Al ever touched to be an anthem for our group...

Look at the song name again. "White and Nerdy". How many of these hardcore nerfers fit that description?
Always bring your sword to battle.

I pity the fool who attempts to use a single-shot blaster against me.

#139 Rambo

Rambo

Fear the Robble...

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 03:06 PM

So, that means that anyone fitting a mold described by an artist automatically refers to the music about said mold as their anthem? That is absolutely retarded.

Edited by RAMBO, 05 March 2008 - 03:09 PM.

#140 Eboreg

Eboreg

• Banned
  • 220 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 03:09 PM

Look, it was a gorram joke already. Loosen up.
Always bring your sword to battle.

I pity the fool who attempts to use a single-shot blaster against me.

#141 Rambo

Rambo

Fear the Robble...

• Members
  • 1,807 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 03:27 PM

So it's a joke after I call bullshit and prove it? I see :).

#142 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 04:02 PM

So it's a joke after I call bullshit and prove it? I see :).

Take it from someone who suffers from the same affliction; whether or not you are right, you don't need to argue everything that anyone says. Let some things go and your life will be much easier.

VACC

#143 Peter

Peter

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 05:11 PM

Opps, I totally forgot classical, can't live w/o it.
igitur qui desiderat pacem praeparet bellum

#144 Renegademilitia15

Renegademilitia15

• Members
  • 516 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 12:25 AM

[quote name='Retiate' date='Nov 6 2007, 03:01 PM' post='128821']
[quote name='AODL' post='128814' date='Nov 6 2007, 02:32 PM']
My favorite bands are:

My favorite bands:
Tool
Breaking Benjamin
Atomship
Evans Blue (Check them out if you like Breaking Benjamin)
Anberlin
Coheed and Cambria
Billy Talent
Emery
Last Winter
Skillet
[/quote]
All of those except Atomship and Emery. Also a couple of others like Switchfoot, Relient K, Hawk Nelson, and Casting Crowns.
Singled RFS
FA_24's response to Ice's back pain thread:

I used to have that problem until I got circumcised. 15 pounds later I was able to stand up straight.

#145 Green Riptide

Green Riptide

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 12:37 AM

I usually find relient k too .. i dunno, soft and guitar-driven pop-esque? I do enjoy some of their stuff though. It makes for lovely music to fall asleep too.

Currently though, I fall asleep to Franz Biebl's arrangement of Ave maria -easily the best, in my opinion- performed by chanticleer. If I had to choose now, this is the song I'd want this song played at my funeral (though I'd have a hard time deciding between having chanticleer and phantom regiment performing it).

Edited by Green Riptide, 06 March 2008 - 12:38 AM.

#146 sputnik

sputnik

• Members
  • 911 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 01:09 AM

I cant believe i didn't put Red Dirt country music on my list.

+ Bart Crow Band.
Bon Jovi
Chris Ledoux
Aaron Watson
Jason Aldean
Pat Green
and yes, I wear boots and a cowboy hat.
I also occasionally ride my horse to college.

Edited by sputnik, 06 March 2008 - 01:22 AM.

tcambre on IRC.

<3

#147 shadowkid33

shadowkid33

• Members
  • 633 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 06:24 AM

My favorite bands:

Tool
Breaking Benjamin
Atomship
Evans Blue (Check them out if you like Breaking Benjamin)
Anberlin
Coheed and Cambria
Billy Talent
Emery
Last Winter
Skillet
All of those except Atomship and Emery. Also a couple of others like Switchfoot, Relient K, Hawk Nelson, and Casting Crowns.

Skillet, Casting Crowns, Relient K, and Breaking Benjamin are also bands I listen to. I'm going to see Casting Crowns live later this month as a matter of fact.

Edited by shadowkid33, 06 March 2008 - 01:19 PM.

how the heck do you make a double clip?

Here are the steps.
1. Go to the search button in the right corner of the screen
2. Click
3. Search double longshot clip.

i dont have time, jeez, im new here!

#148 pulletman

pulletman

• Banned
  • 156 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 11:35 AM

Beatles, only beatles, nothing else. Seriously, anything else just sounds like piss falling into a toilet.
QUOTE(Ro-Sham-Bo @ Mar 28 2008, 08:28 PM) View Post

(Never heard an old woman scream so loud) -Don't sigg that

QUOTE(Crimmy @ Apr 23 2008, 09:31 AM) View Post

i'm retarded

#149 SirTofu

SirTofu

• Members
  • 424 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 11:02 PM

Beastie Boys aren't rap, but they are definitely hip-hop. I'd categorize rap as stuff like Snoop, Dre, N.W.A., and most shitty modern stuff like lil jon and the ying yang twins. Hip-Hop is more listen-able and generally better. It relies more on a good beat.

Everything is essentially hip-hop. Hip hop is a very ambiguous term, but it stems form people rhyming over beats created by Dj's in the bronx in the 70's.

Beastie Boys is East Coast Rap or Old School, which is what most people think of when they say Hip hop.

Snoop, Dre, N.W.A. are all Gangster Rap

Lil John and Ying Yang twins are snap or crunk music.

I would say for most rap, the beats are essential. Lyrics aren't always.

Anyways, I felt like clarifying this for people, because people like to smack talk the shit out of this genre and say Hip Hop is the best. Because, essentially all rap is hip hop.
Nobody online Nerfs in the SE :(

#150 Philote

Philote

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 08:30 PM

Music is quite possibly one of the most important things in my life, and I like top keep my ears open. As for bands:

-Led Zeppelin
-Pink Floyd :D
-The Beatles
-The Police
-Primus
-Van Halen
-Pink floyd....they deserve to be on here twice
-Eric Clapton/Cream
-Eric Johnson
EPH!
What do I wnat for my birthday? The usual, money, a Xbox Game, and a throng of bearded men. You know, the usual stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users